• MMR 34 votes
    37%

(91 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Which game is the best and why?

#2 6 years ago

You need an undecided category.

#3 6 years ago

I have both but my MM is the original. The only reason I chose AFMR is because I have the LE and i believe its the best built machine to date.

#5 6 years ago

tough call. but for how much better the build and play quality is on afmr, easy choice. topper is very cool, display is nice too. plays better than mmr

#6 6 years ago

Had an AFM for 8 years...... Sold and now have an MMR and will be buying a AFMr in Jan. Get MMr while you can they just started making AFMr.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Had an AFM for 8 years...... Sold and now have an MMR and will be buying a AFMr in Jan. Get MMr while you can they just started making AFMr

Yeah and the LEs are going fast!

#8 6 years ago

Base game wise I think MM is better. I liked AFM more at first, but once I had them both side by side (on loan, I don't ball THAT hard) and MM sure enough overtook AFM. MM is a bit more fun, the theme has longer legs (to me) and being able to hunt castles during multiball adds a lot to the game. I like the variety of multiball options too, stacking and starting all 5 Multiball Madness modes is super cool. AFM is REALLY similar but just a little more one dimensional, you can tell MM is an evolution of the same formula. Still, killing saucers is fun, and it's got great rules, humor and TOTAL ANNIHILATION!

They're both SO fantastic tho, like a 9 vs a 9.5. But MM has the edge.

As for the REMAKES? Well AFMR has the advantages of PPS/CGC having learned from MMR, as well as the fancier SE/LEs, but also a "basic" model you can get into cheaper... so as a REMAKE I'll give it up to AFMR. Maybe they'll do a big ass screen upgrade (or a new edition?) for MMR someday, maybe not, but the better sound, more lighting (SE/LE) and sweet topper (LE) plus variety of price points give this one to AFMR.

#9 6 years ago

I like both games but I am more a fan of AFM. I have thought about buying MMr but just cant get into it as much and I have played it a lot. I just find AFM a more fun game and I like the aliens theme better. If you look at my history there was a time when I got out of pinball and sold off my old Williams games. The only game I keep was AFM. I think it is really just a matter of preference as they are both good games, Just have to play them and see which one you like best and which theme you like best.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Had an AFM for 8 years...... Sold and now have an MMR and will be buying a AFMr in Jan. Get MMr while you can they just started making AFMr.

So once they move on and start making the next title Are you saying that they aren’t going back and making any more runs of the previous games?

#11 6 years ago

Oh Ill bet they will as long as they are selling! As for the LEs no going back there!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Oh Ill bet they will as long as they are selling! As for the LEs no going back there!

Correct! I know they had some playfield quality issues with the early MMR and just was thinking if they make another run that they will be a higher AFMR type quality. If they make a MB though I honestly think that is a game that would interest me more than any of them. Cactus Canyon is sweet also.........heck they are all awesome!! What would really be sweet is to just have them all sitting next to each other! That’s not gonna happen on my budget though unfortunately.

#13 6 years ago

Just got my MMR last month which was a CG build . Quality control was outstanding and build is very robust.

#14 6 years ago

I picked AFMr but only because of the large screen and topper, both games are excellent.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Just got my MMR last month which was a CG build . Quality control was outstanding and build is very robust.

You can definitely see the quality in these games.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Cactus Canyon is sweet also

I am really curios to see if they will do CC. I am really interested to see what software package they will offer. CCC is off the table. Maybe some version there of.... but most likely no Cowboys and Aliens

#17 6 years ago

Pretty tough to choose between these two games....both well built, and great games...if I had to choose I'd probably choose AFMRLE due to the new screen size, and topper.....

#18 6 years ago

Gotta own em both!

#19 6 years ago

I own both MMrLE and AFMrLE. They are both solidly built games and are really a lot of fun to play. I like the LE "package" of AFMrLE however I prefer MMr as a game better than AFMr. I'm hoping they will sell the large display for MMr in the future.

#20 6 years ago

MMR more fun. AFMRLE more bling and almost as fun.

#21 6 years ago

I want a Cactus Canyon Remake. Everyone has that one game they would just love to have.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I want a Cactus Canyon Remake. Everyone has that one game they would just love to have.

Personally hope they dont.... and I have no vested interest in one. To me its a just a so so game and the whole appeal of it is in its low production numbers.

To me, keep remakes to the games that sell and are great for people that want perfect examples. MM, AFM, TAF, TZ, MB, and so forth.

#23 6 years ago

MMr is an awesome game, but AFMr is something special and as good as pinball gets in my opinion. The upgraded speakers, large high resolution color display, build quality, and topper (on the LE) put this game over the top. The LED lighting makes this game bright and beautiful. I had no intention of buying another machine but when I saw AFMr at TPF I knew I had to have one. CGC is really raising the bar with their quality product and communication. I’m can’t wait for TPF to see what remake #3 will be.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I’m can’t wait for TPF to see what remake #3 will be.

I am probably a little selfish since I already own MB but I would like to see something more in the lines of TAF, TZ, Kingpin or SS.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I am probably a little selfish since I already own MB but I would like to see something more in the lines of TAF, TZ, Kingpin or SS.

A CC remake with extended code and all the modern enhancements would be incredible.

#26 6 years ago

In terms of game play, it’s really close. In terms of aesthetics and build, it’s afmr. Topper, lighted speakers, better sound quality and big color screen, all for less than the cost of mmr. Destroying saucers and castles with great callouts never gets old, two of the best games of all time.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Personally hope they dont.... and I have no vested interest in one. To me its a just a so so game and the whole appeal of it is in its low production numbers.
To me, keep remakes to the games that sell and are great for people that want perfect examples. MM, AFM, TAF, TZ, MB, and so forth.

I can’t stand twilight zone for some reason. Maybe the sounds.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I can’t stand twilight zone for some reason. Maybe the sounds.

Hmm. I love Chris Granners work on TZ. Really deep audio...not monotone like so many pins. Different strokes...

Back on topic...not a fan of MM/MMr. I've owned awesome examples of MM/AFM/MB and the only one left is AFM (and AFMr arrives Monday).

For me, AFM>MB>MM. If CG does a MBr and AFMr works out for me, I'd consider it as well. I hope CCr isn't next on deck...CC is boring. Owned a HEP CCC and without Eric's (epthegeek) brilliant programming, probably wouldn't have purchased it. CC without a renovated, refreshed ruleset is a bad idea. It's a great collectable and lousy game.

snaroff

4 months later
#29 6 years ago

Had to get both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-vs-mmr-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.