Topic poll

“What game is more of a keeper?”

• AFMR LE 44 votes
    59%
  • MET Pro 31 votes
    41%

(75 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I'm considering getting rids of my AFMR LE, and possibly picking up a MET Pro to take its place.

I also have a MMR (which is similar) and ever since picking up a TWD and LOTR, I have a new appreciation for games with deeper rulesets.

So.. talk me into it or out of it!

#2 5 years ago

They are both great games, make sure you get some plays on Met before replacing your AFM with it. Many people would just elect to have both of these games in their collection and never get rid of either

#3 5 years ago

Both are great games but I prefer Metallica because I like the rules and toys more. I also prefer Metallica's theme over AFM so it Also depends on what theme you like more.

#4 5 years ago

I have owned both a beautiful restored AFM original and a Metallica Premium. I miss both but cant afford to keep every pin that comes through my gameroom with prices what they are these days!

Anyhow, the answer to this question is that unless you are super in love with the nostalgia and theme associated with AFM, Metallica is a better game in pretty much every way. The code/rules are fantastic, the artwork is among the best of any Stern, the layout is fun and feels great (looping the metal ramps is super smooth!) The depth of gameplay makes it approachable but yet a very nice challenge that never gets old.

IF I could have one of those two machines back it would be the Metallica for sure.

Considering you have an MMR as well I think this is a no-brainer. You already have the awesome old-school fan layout department covered with your MMR, you will not be sorry replacing AFM with a Metallica.

#5 5 years ago

I’ve owned a Met Prem and enjoyed it, but sold it to get an AFMr LE (which is my favorite game). I didn’t realize how important humor was to me until I had machines in my home that didn’t have it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I have owned both a beautiful restored AFM original and a Metallica Premium. I miss both but cant afford to keep every pin that comes through my gameroom with prices what they are these days!
Anyhow, the answer to this question is that unless you are super in love with the nostalgia and theme associated with AFM, Metallica is a better game in pretty much every way. The code/rules are fantastic, the artwork is among the best of any Stern, the layout is fun and feels great (looping the metal ramps is super smooth!) The depth of gameplay makes it approachable but yet a very nice challenge that never gets old.
IF I could have one of those two machines back it would be the Metallica for sure.
Considering you have an MMR as well I think this is a no-brainer. You already have the awesome old-school fan layout department covered with your MMR, you will not be sorry replacing AFM with a Metallica.

It's a tough decision. AFM is definitely a fun game to play. But I've done rtu a couple of times and can't say I really have the drive to do it again. It's weird because I think about how much I invested in it to get to rtu and now when I think of doing it again I usually just moved to one of my other machines. Maybe I just need a little time away and that excitement will come back.

#7 5 years ago

I say Metallica.

Not saying AFM isn’t good but besides the humor in the callouts and cool animations I could never really understand why it is rated so high. From a shooting perspective it is quite an easy game.

You have the nostalgic classic already in MMR so I would take Metallica.

#8 5 years ago

MET pro is as good as AFM (IMO)

I love Met pro and think it's going to be in my collection for a long time.

#9 5 years ago

If it is for you and just you: Metallica.

If it is for you, your wife, and kids: AFM all the way.

#10 5 years ago

tie for me, but met pro is more than $2k cheaper.

#11 5 years ago

I didn't vote on your poll.
MET Prem all the way!
Hammer, coffin lock, spinners.. bad ass!
Get a colordmd, shaker, and subwoofer for sure

#12 5 years ago

I let our AFMR go, but MET is not going anywhere.

#13 5 years ago

Sometimes you just want a fast challenging game.
AFM is that.

If you want deep rules and longer ball times get a Hobbit.
It's a beatiful amazing game.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sometimes you just want a fast challenging game.
AFM is that.
If you want deep rules and longer ball times get a Hobbit.
It's a beatiful amazing game.

For long balls times, I have my LOTR, which I would take any day over Hobbit personally. AFM is a great game, that is why I decided to start this thread, to see if maybe some discussion could help with my decision. I'm in no real rush to part with it, but I only have room for 5 pins (or there will be divorce) and out of all my games, it would either be AFM or TWD to go.

TWD probably will stay a while however, as I've only reached Horde, I'm right at the doorstep of Terminus, and I'm determined to reach LMS!

#15 5 years ago

If you start a thread in an effort to get people to talk you down, then essentially you have already made your choice. I would stick with your gut decision and get rid of AFMR and pickup the Met. This coming from someone who owns and loves AFMRLE and was never that warm to Met, so no bias here.

#16 5 years ago

Met Pre is the way to go..

#17 5 years ago

Both are great games for different reasons. Hard to compare since they are from different time periods. For me, it's hard to ignore price. You can get a MET pro for what - about half of AFMRLE on used market? Huge difference and wouldn't say ARM is twice as good as MET.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If you start a thread in an effort to get people to talk you down, then essentially you have already made your choice. I would stick with your gut decision and get rid of AFMR and pickup the Met. This coming from someone who owns and loves AFMRLE and was never that warm to Met, so no bias here.

Wasn't looking to have anyone talk me down to be honest. Just figured a discussion here is better than one in my head haha.

Sometimes someone says something that makes you second guess your decision to sell, or another person may bring up something that helps you pull the trigger.

I like both games, but I feel like AFM is getting a bit thin. The extra money going back into my pocket never hurts either.

Appreciate all the feedback. Going to have to mull this one over for a few days.

#19 5 years ago

I owned both, Met stayed as its the complete package. I do miss my afm but in a 2 pin collection Mets cousin acdc sits right beside him. Two best pins around!

#20 5 years ago

I have both, my Met is a premium roadcase edition. I absolutely love it and the art. With upgraded speakers its amazing. That said, the wife and kids cant stand it and wont play it. My friends go straight to it and play it for hours though...

It would be a coin flip for me, unless the day comes when I'm told to sell it, lol.

I bought AFMr for the wife and kids and the more I play it, the more I enjoy it.

#21 5 years ago

AFM is a game from 1995 with a classic theme.

Met is a game from 2013, which takes some of the great layout aspects of AFM and adds more depth, better lighting, funkier dots and improved audio (subject to personal tastes) .

Is Met "18yrs better" than AFM? I don't think it is, but it is a better game.

Will Met be held in such revelry as AFM in 23yrs from now? We can't say, but I'd bet against it.

Still, I own Met Pro because i enjoy playing it more, and sold the mint AFM i spent 3yrs and lots of money restoring. If money and space were not an issue i would own both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 12.95
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-vs-met-pro?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.