C803F31E-D2C2-4796-97EA-6B59FE023BDA (resized).jpeg
AFMr 5 (resized).jpg
AFMr 4 (resized).jpg
AFMr 2 (resized).jpg
AFMr 3 (resized).jpg
AFMr 1 (resized).jpg
8D873A3F-B18E-487A-832C-0F1C7334BA7E (resized).jpeg
C4EEB581-D3D4-4551-BD87-BA0CC6FB61CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigd1979.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I keep a minimum 5 years in savings, never know when you'll lose a job and the economy crashes at the same time. See 2007/2008

Agreed me two......

1 week later
#45 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I can hear my original plummeting in value, and I couldn't care less. So great to see this pin getting a mass release FINALLY, and I am so happy to see this community get a real shot at owning this game.
Now...here's your goal. Took me right at one year to do!

Lol still plenty of people who like a nice original ..trust me. I cld still sell mine for a fair amount more than i have in it but its a amazing game and it wld be last to go. Still im glad all these great classics are being done so more can enjoy them . They are still very expensive imo but they are selling ..so thats what matters. I really hope cc , bbb or kp is next bc they are very rare and way to expensive.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Got home from work and went right to setting it up, I was glad to see that CGC put the leg bolts in the mounting holes, this made it so much easier to setup vs having the bolts in the cash box like my MMr was.
I forgot that you really never want to set these flat down like this

Stood it on its back and put on the front legs, set it on its front legs and lifted this bad boy up, wife was nice enough to slide my saw horse under it so I can set it down to put on the back legs.

Opened the coin door to get the head bolts from the coin box and ... holy cow I see coin mechs!

Inspected everything ... First thing I noticed that I didn't care for is there is essentially 0 clearance between the bottom of the back glass and top of the speaker panel, I just had to pry it out. Once out I tried to press the back glass edge molding on tighter, it didn't seem to move, but the backglass did go in easier than it came out.

Video link .... maybe.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BxXahPQ9L8rLZXVhQVp4UWdSODA
The video looks like crap unless you download it to play it ... this could have been my browser settings, it looked fine once I set it to 1080p.
Overall I have the say the game is beautiful! The LED are very bright and clear which is typical of LEDs of course, CGC included multiple fade options to customize to your liking, you can see these effects in the video, I left mine on the default slow fade to simulate the effects of incandescent lamps. The thing that really got my attention was the sound, simply outstanding, you have to hear it to really appreciate it.

Did they change the gi sockets? I thought these were the same as mmr and original? It looks like a plug?

#54 6 years ago

Heres a gameplay vid i did last night on my original.... good game overall. Hopefully it gets you even more excited to get this awesome game.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Congrats on your new SE! Speaking of LED lighting, Can you see "spots" of light in each insert? Or is the lighting pretty well spread out? I saw some pictures a while back and could see all these bright spots on most inserts but now that you mention that you have multiple fade options, I wonder if that is still the case. Thanks and congrats!

It will still look the same bc there is no diffuser like a frosted dome , just smd leds mounted to a pcb . I wld guess the options are just how they fade . I know the ones i played had a slow pulse to them even when on.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Great info like always! I want an AFM, just not sure if I should get an original or a remake. Hopefully as more reviews come in, I can find out if it's really that bad or no biggie. I really like customizing my LED's and I know this is not possible in the remake. Decisions, decisions.....Great video btw, Thanks!

You can go wrong with eaither bc its such a great game. Both have upsides and downsides depending on how you look at it. If you like to make a game your own and customize ,than a og afm may be more up your alley. You can get a nice original loaded with mods like minr for 6-7k in most cases. If you watch my entire video you will see some great lighting effects especially when everything goes dark and man my strobe mb is insanely bright .

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thank you both Plunger069 and bigd1979 for your answers. I have played AFM only once at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas 3 weeks ago. The game was in rough shape but I managed to score 4 billion in my first game! What is this bill ung kit people keep talking about? Does this kit come included with the remake?

Its the mini ufo leds.... comes on the afmr le but there is a kit for the original. They are not exactly the same tho and do different things . I haven't got around to installing mine yet and not sure if i am. I really like the way my afm is currently.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Watched your video. Lighting looks great.

Yea not bad for a vid with the glass on lol. Its to loud otherwise. I spent alot of time getting the lighting how i like it.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

They sure did...

So what are they now? Can the gi bulbs no longer be swapped to ones liking?

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Looks like there is a setting to turn off the backbox lighting during strobe multiball. So glad they added this!

Wondering if it also goes off anytime the gi goes dark ? Any owners awnser this?

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The backbox GI can set to behave the same way the original did, to mirror the playfield GI, or to be always on.

Well the backbox on the original stays on permittely unless the blackout mod is added. In which case the backbox gi goes off when tbe playfield gi does. This is how all wpc 95 pins are unfortunately but thank goodness for pinbits and the 35.00 mod. One of the best upgrades for wpc 95 pins imo. Im guessing that the backbox on afmr only goes off during strobe mb as of now tho which is still nice.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There are protectors around the scoop hole and while they do frame the hole, the top of the bracket is below the surface which will still allow the ball to strike the corner edges of the opening.

My concern is the ball hitting these edges will chip away at the clear coat around the hole. The lighter colored area I have circled could be the clear coat separating from the surface due to multiple ball impacts to the same area.

I wld also get the 3 target bank protector and the mother ship single drop target protector from cliffy as those areas take a beating around the exposed edge. It does look like you have some lifting allready around the sol hole. You can add a cliffy to that along with the other protector ......

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There are protectors around the scoop hole and while they do frame the hole, the top of the bracket is below the surface which will still allow the ball to strike the corner edges of the opening.

My concern is the ball hitting these edges will chip away at the clear coat around the hole. The lighter colored area I have circled could be the clear coat separating from the surface due to multiple ball impacts to the same area.

The mantis for the original is taller and may work on afmr.....l

#126 6 years ago

All the cliffys sld be installed imo.... the single drop target area behind the mothership takes a beating as does the edge in front if motorized target bank.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Without reading all in this thread, is there a strobe multiball on the game and is it the same as on the original with a strobe light?

Yes its there... just not as bright and not very good light spread bc of the led used and direction its facing. Im sure there will be a mod soon enough to make it much more brighter.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I just watched the gameplay video posted earlier in this thread and saw it. It looked good on video, but I can see working with led will not bring the real strobe experience. Is that now just a led flasher that you can replace?

You sure that wasnt my video of my original afm ?

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I just watched the gameplay video posted earlier in this thread and saw it. It looked good on video, but I can see working with led will not bring the real strobe experience. Is that now just a led flasher that you can replace?

I believe its a small led strip now and it faces down. .

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

NiftyLED provides the lights for MMr and AFMr. These current GI lights are plug and play and don't require any soldering. Looking forward to swapping out the warms with the cools when my LE arrives.

No gi lighting sld require soldering on any pin unless you have bad sockets.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Heres a gameplay vid i did last night on my original.... good game overall. Hopefully it gets you even more excited to get this awesome game.
» YouTube video

For some reason my afm vid dissappered off youtube and i had allready erased it from my phone. Very sad as it was a great game. Gonna add another shorter one now.

#198 6 years ago

Here's another shorter one showing strobe mb and total annihilation.....

#201 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

» YouTube video
Check at about 14:07
It's going to need an upgrade. It least based on this video.

Yea that is very dim at best.... the ones i played were the same way. It's used for more than strobe mb also.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Well that is hard to see in that daylight environment. I play all in my gameroom in the dark. The other video from the original is also in a dark room. So very hard to compare also with that camera angel.

I played a new one in a darker environment much like my video. The new one is still not very good but it sld be a easy mod to come up with.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Can someone elaborate what is wrong with the new strobe MB? I see videos and the effect looks minimal, like a weak light bulb. Was it changed to save environment or cost cutting? Kinda shame to be honest

Afmr uses a small led strip or bulb facing down . The original was a 150 v actual stobe bulb which is very intense . It wldnt be cost effective to do today as it used a special power supply and bulb. Im sure the new one can be easily /cheaply modded to accomplish a similar effect .

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Thx for stepping up to answer bigd. I'm interested in this game and like the other improvements, from bigger screen and better gfx, shaker. Hope there's a future strobe mod, given its ultimately just a better bulb/fixture. Or just rename the mystery award to, "blinking light multiball"

Its also used on other occasions like when you hit the ship and blow up the ship ....

1 month later
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Just got mine, looks incredible!!
ok, so they are doing mylar instead of the SOL protector?
I was a little confused, I ordered all the protectors from cliff except that one a little while ago. I thought that was going to be on there. going to install a playfield protector, so I'm not playing any games yet. Not looking forward to it, but at least it'll be easier then ghostbusters. after seeing this one, it's hard not to just keep it for myself
For some reason it looks so much better when it's in your house.

It sld have a mantis type protector on the sol scoop?

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Box top crushed, giant hole ripped in side of box & side artwork f'd up on at least one side.
So I refused the shipment and watched the truck drive away.
Not sure when I'll get a machine now.
Robert

Same thing happened to my dile 2 weeks ago

1 week later
#506 6 years ago

Afm is a great game in any form , but if u can get the extra bells and whistles y not?

#509 6 years ago

Thought only the le had the mini saucer leds?

#516 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Thanks Everyone,
Appreciate the feedback and encouragement. I am thinking LE has some really neat features....love the topper. I am justifying this as an investment too...LOL.
Am I allowed to ask about recommended dealers and experiences with them? I don't want to violate forum rules, but would really like to know. Everyone is the same price, so it's really a matter of who am I dealing with. Not asking to bash or anything...just want a good experience.
Damagio

Pinball/toys in general are not investments.

1 week later
#563 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

New school meets it's inspiration. Both great games.

Come on at least do a fair comparison lol.... 20170831_231811 (resized).jpg20170831_231811 (resized).jpg20170831_231812 (resized).jpg20170831_231812 (resized).jpg20170831_231742 (resized).jpg20170831_231742 (resized).jpg20170831_231726 (resized).jpg20170831_231726 (resized).jpg20161115_111626 (resized).jpg20161115_111626 (resized).jpg

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Come on at least do a fair comparison lol....

A little upgrades go a long way in making a older pin feel fresh..... thats for sure. Even if its just leds and a color dmd it can help alot imo.

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Sorry. My post was in no way meant to disrespect the original. If the remake was to play 'better' than an original it would clearly be the better game. But it doesn't, so it's just an homage to the original with bling. Here's to both getting plenty of play and love for more decades to come.

O i know ...

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I wonder what they'll both look like in another 20yrs time. Will WPC95 still be clinging on?

Actually im more concerned for newer pins in 20 years ...... this day in age most electronics are throw away after 5-8 years..

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So 20 plus year old pins won't bother you in 20 more years.
LTG : )

Nope they have been great and are very serviceable to this point so y wld that change ? Lots of late 70s and early 80s pins still going strong and id expect the same from the 90s pins especially if they have been gone over with the known fixes.

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Hopefully CGC can get plenty of pins out there. The more they build, the more demand there will be to keep them running down the road. Via keeping the original equipment running or creating a new solution.

For sure.... only time will tell tho. Im sure everything will be fine.... at least id like to hope so for all the newer stuff i buy.

#576 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Parts on the circuit boards going obsolete. You find any amps for WPC audio boards lately.
Age is hard on everything, not just the new stuff.
LTG : )

There are a few folks that can fix them for now but there are other options thank goodness if that ever is a issue. Thats like the only real thing one may have to worry about on wpc pins down the road imo. In most cases everything can be fixed pretty easy just like they always have been. Im no pro but have fixed most my own board issues over the years due to the great documention and the simplicity of the older systems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigd1979.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings?tu=bigd1979 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.