C803F31E-D2C2-4796-97EA-6B59FE023BDA (resized).jpeg
AFMr 5 (resized).jpg
AFMr 4 (resized).jpg
AFMr 2 (resized).jpg
AFMr 3 (resized).jpg
AFMr 1 (resized).jpg
8D873A3F-B18E-487A-832C-0F1C7334BA7E (resized).jpeg
C4EEB581-D3D4-4551-BD87-BA0CC6FB61CC (resized).jpeg
There are 697 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

» YouTube video
Check at about 14:07
It's going to need an upgrade. It least based on this video.

Yea that is very dim at best.... the ones i played were the same way. It's used for more than strobe mb also.

#202 6 years ago

Well that is hard to see in that daylight environment. I play all in my gameroom in the dark. The other video from the original is also in a dark room. So very hard to compare also with that camera angel.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Well that is hard to see in that daylight environment. I play all in my gameroom in the dark. The other video from the original is also in a dark room. So very hard to compare also with that camera angel.

I played a new one in a darker environment much like my video. The new one is still not very good but it sld be a easy mod to come up with.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

» YouTube video
Check at about 14:07
It's going to need an upgrade. At least based on this video.

That is not strobe MB. That is "turn off all the lights and still see the balls completely without a problem" MB. You'd be better off rapidly opening and closing your eyes to imitate a strobe effect....

In all fairness though, the game is in a lighted environment AND it's daytime with all the light coming in from the windows. To really get the true xp, you need it to be completely and totally dark. When it happens though, man, it is AWESOME...at least on the originals.

The martian attack didn't seem too intense either. I barely saw the martians jumping up and down :/....

#205 6 years ago

Hey all..
Make sure you guys come down to Pintastic 2017 if you can make it. It will be well worth the trip. Everyone I spoke to who is going are bringing some amazing machines. We will have another AFMR Super LE on display and PowerBladez products for the interior and exterior for purchasing.

Hope to see you there!
-JR

#206 6 years ago

Strobe multiball fail. As are the clear inserts that show all the LED's under the PF. And those cheesy "car speaker" cutouts... who makes these decisions anyways?

Ah well... still a fun game to play.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The martian attack didn't seem too intense either. I barely saw the martians jumping up and down :/

The strength of the martian coils are adjustable as shown in post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/2#post-3833419

By default they are set to medium, I assume to reduce the coil noise from their activation. When set to high they jump up and down pretty frantically.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Strobe multiball fail. As are the clear inserts that show all the LED's under the PF. And those cheesy "car speaker" cutouts... who makes these decisions anyways?
Ah well... still a fun game to play.

Jesus dude...just enjoy your original AFM and stay out of this unboxing thread for owners of the new and improved version of that game.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The strength of the martian coils are adjustable as shown in post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/2#post-3833419
By default they are set to medium, I assume to reduce the coil noise from their activation. When set to high they jump up and down pretty frantically.

Good to know! It is one of the best gimmicks in the game, so I am glad to hear that!

Quoted from Pimp77:

Jesus dude...just enjoy your original AFM and stay out of this unboxing thread for owners of the new and improved version of that game.

It's always difficult being an "original" owner to not come across as someone "jealous" of either everyone getting the game you have that was once so coveted, or people getting a game that has improvements that make your original seem "so 25 years ago". I have definitely made sure I have expressed how happy I am for the community that they have a chance to purchase this game now on a wide scale.

That being said, I am interested in the next couple of games coming from PPS - possibly CC or MB - and how AFM comes out heavily weighs my decision on paying the $tupid money we pay for these game$ now. Just 5 years ago, we were all declaring how none of us would ever spend over $8000 for any game, and now there's so many options at that price range and this community cannot stop hemmorhaging money. If I'm spending that level of money, it needs to be 100% dead on perfect. Strobe MB is my only real nit-pick at this point. Yeah, it may be able to be modded, but at $6500 minimum, ask yourself: should it HAVE to be a mod....?

Some of us are here with originals keeping a tab on how things are going. I am very happy to see this game getting spread out over the community; I just want to know when they get to a release I really want that it's going to be perfect. Indications of how probable that is come from the games built before it.

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Good to know! It is one of the best gimmicks in the game, so I am glad to hear that!

It's always difficult being an "original" owner to not come across as someone "jealous" of either everyone getting the game you have that was once so coveted, or people getting a game that has improvements that make your original seem "so 25 years ago". I have definitely made sure I have expressed how happy I am for the community that they have a chance to purchase this game now on a wide scale.
That being said, I am interested in the next couple of games coming from PPS - possibly CC or MB - and how AFM comes out heavily weighs my decision on paying the $tupid money we pay for these game$ now. Just 5 years ago, we were all declaring how none of us would ever spend over $8000 for any game, and now there's so many options at that price range and this community cannot stop hemmorhaging money. If I'm spending that level of money, it needs to be 100% dead on perfect. Strobe MB is my only real nit-pick at this point. Yeah, it may be able to be modded, but at $6500 minimum, ask yourself: should it HAVE to be a mod....?
Some of us are here with originals keeping a tab on how things are going. I am very happy to see this game getting spread out over the community; I just want to know when they get to a release I really want that it's going to be perfect. Indications of how probable that is come from the games built before it.

I get that, but an unboxing thread is for excited new owners. They don't want to hear people dissing their new game. There are plenty of other threads for that.

#211 6 years ago

so people cant express their opinions in unboxing thread?

interesting.

ps. i dont like strobe mb as well cose that was main attraction on AFM pin

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from kurgan999:

so people cant express their opinions in unboxing thread?
interesting.
ps. i dont like strobe mb as well cose that was main attraction on AFM pin

I think Pimp is saying that this thread was created separately from the other threads to share in the excitment of unboxing of this game. It wasn't intended for debating strobe multiball as there are other threads already created in which you can post that opinion.

The AFMr threads have been overwhelmingly positive which can be rare on Pinside. Hopefully we can stay on topic in this thread...UNBOXING.

#213 6 years ago

Need some help wondering if anyone knows how to disable the knocker which fuse? Don't see it in settings??

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Need some help wondering if anyone knows how to disable the knocker which fuse?

If there is a connector back there just for it. Unplug it.

Fuse might stop other things too.

LTG : )

#215 6 years ago

Thanks LTG I appreciate the quick reply I will take a look

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If there is a connector back there just for it. Unplug it.

There is a connector...see pic.
Knocker (resized).jpgKnocker (resized).jpg

I think the reason several folks are complaining about the knocker is that that the knocker is installed only 1/2" from the top of the cabinet instead of the standard 1", this is causing it to sound like someone hits your cabinet with a hammer vs the usual distinctive "pop" we are all accustomed to hearing. No idea if this positioning was done on purpose, or if it was accidental.

I did adjust mine to drop it to 1" ... it's still loud as all get out.

#217 6 years ago

Found it thanks for the help guys

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Ah well... still a fun game to play

Who cares about strobe multiball anyway, it's not active in tournament mode. Agree on the car speaker cut-outs, I've disabled the lightning (It should've been an LE thing IMO) and going to paint the metal trim black. Original panel is much nicer but then you wouldn't be able to fit the uber-nice-mega-wide display.

#219 6 years ago

Can someone elaborate what is wrong with the new strobe MB? I see videos and the effect looks minimal, like a weak light bulb. Was it changed to save environment or cost cutting? Kinda shame to be honest

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Can someone elaborate what is wrong with the new strobe MB? I see videos and the effect looks minimal, like a weak light bulb. Was it changed to save environment or cost cutting? Kinda shame to be honest

#221 6 years ago

Just answer? I don't know either.

#222 6 years ago

Afmr uses a small led strip or bulb facing down . The original was a 150 v actual stobe bulb which is very intense . It wldnt be cost effective to do today as it used a special power supply and bulb. Im sure the new one can be easily /cheaply modded to accomplish a similar effect .

#223 6 years ago

Thx for stepping up to answer bigd. I'm interested in this game and like the other improvements, from bigger screen and better gfx, shaker. Hope there's a future strobe mod, given its ultimately just a better bulb/fixture. Or just rename the mystery award to, "blinking light multiball"

#224 6 years ago

Thx for stepping up to answer bigd. I'm interested in this game and like the other improvements, from bigger screen and better gfx, shaker. Hope there's a future strobe mod, given its ultimately just a better bulb/fixture. Or just rename the mystery award to, "blinking light multiball"

Its also used on other occasions like when you hit the ship and blow up the ship ....

#225 6 years ago

So got my SE set up and am loving this game . I understand those concerns with the Strobe but there will probably make a mod.it is not a deal breaker for me in anyway. There is sooo much to love about this game and it's improvements and to be able to get one brand new is something I never thought would happen. I feel like Chicago gaming has done a fantastic job all around and you guys getting an LE will not be disappointed. I am so hoping they sell the topper separately. I have never really got to play a AFM in good condition all the ones I had played were broken in some way or another on location.This game is great in every way. The artwork is fantastic and the game shoots beautifully. To be honest I thought I was going to want the cool white LEDs but these warm whites are much brighter and more colorful than MMR.

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

To be honest I thought I was going to want the cool white LEDs but these warm whites are much brighter and more colorful than MMR.

Something I may have missed, are the LEDS in AFMr, from a different vendor compared to the one used in MMr?

#227 6 years ago

Not sure I will check when I get home the boards under the playfield are different. I could be wrong but the GI on AFMr can be changed I think the inserts are still Soldered into the boards. One other thing I forgot to mention is the sound. The sound is very clear and this game has nice bass it is definitely enhanced and far better than on MMR. Don't get me wrong MMR is great as well, just noting the differences between them. The shaker motor is also well done and is obviously most noticeable when you take down the saucer.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Not sure I will check when I get home the boards under the playfield are different. I could be wrong but the GI on AFMr can be changed I think the inserts are still Soldered into the boards. One other thing I forgot to mention is the sound. The sound is very clear and this game has nice bass it is definitely enhanced and far better than on MMR. Don't get me wrong MMR is great as well, just noting the differences between them. The shaker motor is also well done and is obviously most noticeable when you take down the saucer.

The speakers were crap on MMr and needed replaced to sound nice. I'm glad they upgraded at the factory! One less thing to do ourselves.

#229 6 years ago

All

This is the unboxing thread - if you want to ask questions / make points about the game head here please:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club

Now let's see them unboxing pics!

Thanks
Neil

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Something I may have missed, are the LEDS in AFMr, from a different vendor compared to the one used in MMr?

Yes - details in the production thread in the CGC section.

#231 6 years ago

I am luckily right next to Game Exchange in Denver and picked up an SE!

IMG_1121 (resized).JPGIMG_1121 (resized).JPG

39552709-DC57-4839-A1D0-A63BC15027D2 (resized).jpg39552709-DC57-4839-A1D0-A63BC15027D2 (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Should have hid your collection of skulls in the freezer sure hope you're not a serial killer

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

Should have hid your collection of skulls in the freezer sure hope you're not a serial killer

I think a chair made out of flesh/faces is more disturbing than the skulls and bones..

#234 6 years ago

That is a sweet looking whirlwind!

#235 6 years ago

We definitely need an explanation of that chair. That painting in the back is also a little creepy.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

We definitely need an explanation of that chair. That painting in the back is also a little creepy.

Can't someone just be a serial killer without everyone judging...geesh people.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Congrats. Let me know what you find with the ball launch. I got mine yesterday and it is doing the same as yours. Has trouble making it up to the jets, a lot of bouncing around before it gets there. The sound system in this is incredible.

I set the autoplunger to minimum strength and that has fixed it for the most part. Once in a while it won't make it up to the pops, but I remember my friend's NIB original AFM doing the same thing from time to time, so I'm not super worried about it. I also turned the flipper power down one notch. Other than those two adjustments, it was pretty solid right out of the box.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am the guy responsible for a haunted house pinball tournament in Denver called "Horrorhouse Fest" and also have a horror film company called "Bloodshed Deathbath". I live in a scary scary place, but it's all just an illusion for the arts

#239 6 years ago

AFMr SE #1092 lives w/ me now...and its glorious! The wait was excruciating. My hats off to CGC, you nailed it! Please Please Please, let Monster Bash be next in 2018!

To Mike at Great American Pinball, thank you!

FullSizeRender4.jpgFullSizeRender4.jpg

FullSizeRender5.jpgFullSizeRender5.jpg

FullSizeRender3.jpgFullSizeRender3.jpg

FullSizeRender6.jpgFullSizeRender6.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpgFullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpgFullSizeRender2.jpg

#240 6 years ago

So I got my invoice today for my LE... how long after payment is made are you guys receiving shipping notices?

#241 6 years ago

I received invoice for my LE last month and paid in full on June 23. But there was the two week hold up on the topper.

#242 6 years ago

Got my invoice today as well for my LE! Now the waiting... ugghh!

#243 6 years ago

So is everyone that's received their invoice here for the LE part of the matching number program carried over from Medieval Madness LE?

Keep those un boxing pics coming!

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

So is everyone that's received their invoice here for the LE part of the matching number program carried over from Medieval Madness LE?!

Nope... No matching for me.. got my LE notice Saturday and paid up.

#245 6 years ago

Mine is not a matching serial either, but I will say I did get my deposit in the moment AFMR ordering went live. Maybe that helped?

#246 6 years ago

I am part of the serial number matching program. Received my invoice 6/20 and wired the funds 6/21, hopefully I'm in a batch rolling off the line soon!

#247 6 years ago

So not a huge number of matches were ordered, if the first batch is supposed to do all of them and they are managing to build non-matches.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am part of the serial number matching program. Received my invoice 6/20 and wired the funds 6/21, hopefully I'm in a batch rolling off the line soon!

My timing is the same as yours. Soon after the topper is re-done I think there will be lots of unboxings.
Can't wait to protect the world from Martians.

#249 6 years ago

I was late to the game on ordering and was told I'd probably be in the 2nd batch.

#250 6 years ago

Are you guys that are getting invoices for LE's ordered direct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 79.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 697 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/5?hl=deadpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.