C803F31E-D2C2-4796-97EA-6B59FE023BDA (resized).jpeg
AFMr 5 (resized).jpg
AFMr 4 (resized).jpg
AFMr 2 (resized).jpg
AFMr 3 (resized).jpg
AFMr 1 (resized).jpg
8D873A3F-B18E-487A-832C-0F1C7334BA7E (resized).jpeg
C4EEB581-D3D4-4551-BD87-BA0CC6FB61CC (resized).jpeg
There are 697 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I'm glad that CGC and PPS are doing a great job at the remakes.

Me too, seems like they cant turn them out fast enough to keep up with demand but I'm sure their new fabrication facility will help speed this along and as their staff matures they will be able to speed up production. I'm hoping for a nice shiny new ToM in the not too distant future which should be easy to get done since they wont need any licencing for it.

#102 6 years ago

Got mine today but am going to have to find help to move it up the stairs! Our house in NC had a walk-out basement and so bringing in new pins was a breeze. The stairs we have to go up here are turned, and I don't think we can handle this on our own, so we're playing in the living room for now. All the other pins were brought up by the movers last year. Anyway, the AFTr seems to work perfectly, and we'll put some more games on it soon. Looks great!

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Got mine today but am going to have to find help to move it up the stairs! Our house in NC had a walk-out basement and so bringing in new pins was a breeze. The stairs we have to go up here are turned, and I don't think we can handle this on our own, so we're playing in the living room for now. All the other pins were brought up by the movers last year. Anyway, the AFTr seems to work perfectly, and we'll put some more games on it soon. Looks great!

Photos please.
We don't care if it is in final position or not.

#104 6 years ago

My wire confirmed received as well, just waiting for those LE's to start rolling off the line

#105 6 years ago

My wife is asleep in the next room, so I took a pic with the AFMr turned off:

AFMr (resized).jpgAFMr (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago

Are LEs still available? The leds on the mini saucers are super cool.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

What did CGC end up putting in for 'cliffy' protectors in AMFr

There are protectors around the scoop hole and while they do frame the hole, the top of the bracket is below the surface which will still allow the ball to strike the corner edges of the opening.

IMG_2116 (resized).JPGIMG_2116 (resized).JPG

My concern is the ball hitting these edges will chip away at the clear coat around the hole. The lighter colored area I have circled could be the clear coat separating from the surface due to multiple ball impacts to the same area.

IMG_2114b (resized).jpgIMG_2114b (resized).jpg

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There are protectors around the scoop hole and while they do frame the hole, the top of the bracket is below the surface which will still allow the ball to strike the corner edges of the opening.

My concern is the ball hitting these edges will chip away at the clear coat around the hole. The lighter colored area I have circled could be the clear coat separating from the surface due to multiple ball impacts to the same area.

I believe those are Mantis style protectors, the work extremely well and should protect the playfield in those areas.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

The stairs we have to go up here are turned, and I don't think we can handle this on our own, so we're playing in the living room for now.

I have the same issue, which is why mine is in my dining room. One good way I've found of moving these up/down stairs (without assistance) is to take it apart. Pull off the head, pull out out the playfield, carry all three parts one at a time to new location then reassemble.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I believe those are Mantis style protectors, the work extremely well and should protect the playfield in those areas.

I just wish they were a tiny bit taller so they came up to the surface of the wood; if they did, there would be no way for the ball to strike the wood at all.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I wld also get the 3 target bank protector and the mother ship single drop target protector from cliffy as those areas take a beating around the exposed edge. It does look like you have some lifting allready around the sol hole. You can add a cliffy to that along with the other protector ......

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The mantis for the original is taller and may work on afmr.....l

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

One good way I've found of moving these up/down stairs (without assistance) is to take it apart. Pull off the head, pull out out the playfield, carry all three parts one at a time to new location then reassemble.

I thought about that and looked at it, but most of the wiring is screwed down, etc., so I wasn't sure I'd want to go that route. Unlike WOZ, the computer is in the backbox, so there is still a lot to disconnect between it and the body.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looks like the SOL protector is hanging a little low on the right side compared to the left.
In fact the whole protector is a little low.
The edge of the metal should be level with the surface of the playfield in order to actually work.
All playfield edges have to be beveled or protected from ball strikes or you will get chipping.

Can the protector be adjusted to the correct height?

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Can the protector be adjusted to the correct height?

looks flush on left front unless it's an optical illusion...like the whole thing is tilted a little. That will chip for sure in that position.

#116 6 years ago

Yeah that's a knock off mantis protector. Mantis has a Z to it that goes in front of the green stand up. This one looks thin compared to mantis as well. I would definitely pull it and bend it so the right corner sits higher. It's doing nothing for that corner as it sits.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Buy a real Mantis. It should be flush. Definitely clear separating from the wood on the right. What's the white marks on the left side of the hole?

#118 6 years ago

I'm not happy with the chrome trim around the speakers. Could those be removed and painted? I read somewhere you could turn of that hideous LED lightning in the speaker at least.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What's the white marks on the left side of the hole?

looks like paint?

#120 6 years ago

Why didnt they use the Original green stand up Targets ? Are the martians wiggly ?

#121 6 years ago

That protector does look like its flush on the left side and tilting down on the right. Hopefully it can be adjusted to sit flush.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Are the martians wiggly ?

Yes, they are very wiggly.

Quoted from denmark71:

That protector does look like its flush on the left side and tilting down on the right. Hopefully it can be adjusted to sit flush.

This is an illusion, its off by the same amount all the way around.

IMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPG

I ordered a set of Mantis protectors as there is no protection for the hole behind the drop target and this is already getting chewed up with flakes of clear coat sitting in the bottom of the machine. If I had to take a guess, I would imagine that protector itself is sitting low by the same thickness of the metal; I can see this happening as the distance from the bottom of the mounting tab to the top of the protector is likely the exact thickness of the playfield

This will be my last post in this forum as these issues are getting away from the "unboxing" purpose of this forum, I created a new forum for AFMr owners https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club#post-3837102 and will continue future posts in that forum.

I look forward to seeing the LE unboxing pics with the different trim colors!

#124 6 years ago

Maybe CGC will improve the specs on the scoop protector.
They have been pretty responsive so far.
If not, it is nice to know to order a third party one ahead of time.
I shall wait and see how this shapes up. (No pun intended)

#125 6 years ago

Would you say the other Cliffy is also worth getting?

http://cliffysprotectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11

#126 6 years ago

All the cliffys sld be installed imo.... the single drop target area behind the mothership takes a beating as does the edge in front if motorized target bank.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Would you say the other Cliffy is also worth getting?

If they fit properly installing a Mantis protector should be all you need to prevent damage. While the Cliffy can also prevent damage, I feel it's designed more to cover up existing damage.

https://mantispinball.com/product/attack-from-mars-protector-set/

#128 6 years ago

Without reading all in this thread, is there a strobe multiball on the game and is it the same as on the original with a strobe light?

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Without reading all in this thread, is there a strobe multiball on the game and is it the same as on the original with a strobe light?

Yes its there... just not as bright and not very good light spread bc of the led used and direction its facing. Im sure there will be a mod soon enough to make it much more brighter.

#130 6 years ago

I just watched the gameplay video posted earlier in this thread and saw it. It looked good on video, but I can see working with led will not bring the real strobe experience. Is that now just a led flasher that you can replace?

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I just watched the gameplay video posted earlier in this thread and saw it. It looked good on video, but I can see working with led will not bring the real strobe experience. Is that now just a led flasher that you can replace?

You sure that wasnt my video of my original afm ?

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I believe its a small led strip now and it faces down. .

#133 6 years ago

Bigd put up a video of his original with strobe going and it was awesome. I watched a video with the remake and the strobe was pretty underwhelming, though it was in a bar that was well lit. I would imagine there will be a way to mod it up to be brighter and flashier.

#134 6 years ago

Ok that was an old one I thought the cheapest is now also called original then SE and LE. I already thought it looked so nice with the side blades etc.
So could some one, with some skills play the SE to strobe multiball.

#135 6 years ago

Update: I did go ahead and take the AFMr apart and schlepped it up the stairs in pieces. Not so bad, and I am delighted not to have to pay a moving company to come in and haul one pin about thirty feet. Whew!

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

up the stairs in pieces.

you did this for all 12 of your games

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe CGC will improve the specs on the scoop protector.
They have been pretty responsive so far.
If not, it is nice to know to order a third party one ahead of time.
I shall wait and see how this shapes up. (No pun intended)

Those areas are known to wear, for the past 20 years. No secret or anything new. They should have installed protectors before it left the factory. I for one am tired of spending top dollar for games then having to drop $75 or more on protectors before I can feel like my $8300 game isn't going to wear out. Come on.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

you did this for all 12 of your games

Ah, no! The movers hauled the first eleven up there last July. I did have to sell six in North Carolina since Dallas houses don't have basements.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

The movers hauled the first eleven up there last July.

I'm sure they loved moving the STTNG up there, that beast is heavy even when disassembled.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm sure they loved moving the STTNG up there, that beast is heavy even when disassembled.

Not to mention the WOZ!

#141 6 years ago

Super excited about AFMLE and hope to contibute un boxing photos when It finally arrives. So far I have not received any confirmation on when to expect it. I have abssolute faith Chicago Coin will exceed Sterns quality in recent months. My Stern assembled MMR shipped with some serious issues and expect CC and PP to remedy my relationshIp. If so Im all in on MBR, CCR and BBR, if that happens. My lust for NIB games may seriously diminish if AFMRLE doesn't deliver On quality. So far my anxiety level is very low on this release.

#143 6 years ago

Hey now, this is an UNboxing thread! Get to work!

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Thanks for sharing. We are considering selling our Getaway HSII and getting an AFMr.

I might take that HSII off your hands!

#145 6 years ago

SOL HOLE UPDATE: I decided to open a ticket with CGC over the weekend for the SOL hole protector, if for no other reason as to make sure they are aware of the problem, and they called me this morning to discuss the issue. What I was told is that one of their engineers had already identified this as a potential problem when the first playfields were being assembled and they have already taken action to correct the issue. As for my machine, they are sending me a new hole protector that should be tall enough to provide the proper protection for this area.

If you find that you have a gap larger than 1/64" between the top of the protector and top of the playfield, you may want to consider opening a support ticket in order to receive a replacement.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

I might take that HSII off your hands!

Love to but we are in Australia!

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

SOL HOLE UPDATE: I decided to open a ticket with CGC over the weekend for the SOL hole protector, if for no other reason as to make sure they are aware of the problem, and they called me this morning to discuss the issue. What I was told is that one of their engineers had already identified this as a potential problem when the first playfields were being assembled and they have already taken action to correct the issue. As for my machine, they are sending me a new hole protector that should be tall enough to provide the proper protection for this area.
If you find that you have a gap larger than 1/64" between the top of the protector and top of the playfield, you may want to consider opening a support ticket in order to receive a replacement.

This is really great news! I thought it looked a little low.
Wow CGC means business!

I cant wait to get my game.
Now i have to get a piece of anti glare glass

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Now i have to get a piece of anti glare glass

Nah, I would recommend you get the WHOLE glass. A piece probably wouldn't mount very easy.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Love to but we are in Australia!

Haha, gl with the potential sale then!

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

Haha, gl with the potential sale then!

Thanks!

The only thing stopping us is NIB pricing on AFMRLE is Australia is greater than NIB Stern LE by around $1K. The old Vs new debate!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 697 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/3?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.