Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by SBrothers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Thinking about adding one of these two to my stable.

I own TZ, LOTR, POTC (stern), Munsters premium, BK and a couple EMs.

AFMr and Wonka are quite different but I enjoyed Wonka at expo and love the movie. AFM has been a favorite for its fast unforgiving but pretty simple rule set.

Who owns both and if you could pick only one, which would it be and why!

Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Wonka will last longer I think, more stuff to do.

#4 3 years ago

I'm with Mo on this one...go for wonka

#5 3 years ago

I traded my Wonka for an AFM and couldn't be happier. It's my second AFM btw.

HOWEVER... I did enjoy Wonka, but lately have been shifting to simpler, more replay-able games. AFM is a long term keeper for me, otherwise Wonka would still be here.

I think you'll have much more fun initially with Wonka, I had a blast learning all the ins and outs of the rules. Plus adding a JJP will give your lineup more variety.

Another vote for Wonka!

#6 3 years ago

Wonka for the win!

#7 3 years ago

Wonka is beautiful, plays fast and shoots very well. The rules are hard to understand at first but straight forward once you get them down. I used to own a TZ (I see where you have one) and it reminds me of it. It’s a hard game but very fun and unique.

#8 3 years ago

I've owned both, and u cant go wrong with either choice. AFM is a classic, and super fun to shoot with easy rules to understand. Wonka shoots great with a really deep rule set that for at least isn't easy to understand (I don't play much). If your the type of player that plays every day then I would suggest Wonka. If your a casual player that plays a couple times a week than possibly AFM. If I was u I would let the market dictate....the first nice HUO game u can find locally wins

#9 3 years ago

AFM is better imo.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I traded my Wonka for an AFM and couldn't be happier. It's my second AFM btw.
    HOWEVER... I did enjoy Wonka, but lately have been shifting to simpler, more replay-able games. AFM is a long term keeper for me, otherwise Wonka would still be here.
    I think you'll have much more fun initially with Wonka, I had a blast learning all the ins and outs of the rules. Plus adding a JJP will give your lineup more variety.
    Another vote for Wonka!

Interestingly I’ve found myself enjoying simpler rule sets with fast games. Hence why I bought munsters last year.

I’ve got TZ and LOTR for deeper pinball sessions.

POTC sits a bit between munsters and TZ and LOTR.

So that said, AFMr would be another fast and easier rule set (not easy to RTU) but easier to grasp with quicker games...good for entertaining friends.

TZ and LOTR are better for solo games in my opinion.

Lots of love for Wonka in this thread and I realize it would tend towards TZ and LOTR in terms of depth, but looks a bit more fun/lighthearted for a few games with friends.

I also want something that will intrigue non-pinheads. Wonka is a universally loved franchise and as far as AFM goes who doesn’t love bashing martians?

Appreciate all the feedback so far gang!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I've owned both, and u cant go wrong with either choice. AFM is a classic, and super fun to shoot with easy rules to understand. Wonka shoots great with a really deep rule set that for at least isn't easy to understand (I don't play much). If your the type of player that plays every day then I would suggest Wonka. If your a casual player that plays a couple times a week than possibly AFM. If I was u I would let the market dictate....the first nice HUO game u can find locally wins

great feedback!

I do like the idea of letting the marketplace decide for me.

May start watching the market pages!

Good call...

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from KongDonkey:

Wonka is beautiful, plays fast and shoots very well. The rules are hard to understand at first but straight forward once you get them down. I used to own a TZ (I see where you have one) and it reminds me of it. It’s a hard game but very fun and unique.

Yeah Wonka seems like a more lighthearted TZ. A bit more approachable theme yet still plenty complex.

I played it at expo and found it to be a good shooting pin.

Hmmm....decisions decisions!

#13 3 years ago

Both are incredible machines. Think Wonka has a little more lasting appeal though. Both have great flow, Wonka's deeper game play just a gives it the edge IMHO.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

Interestingly I’ve found myself enjoying simpler rule sets with fast games. Hence why I bought munsters last year.
    I’ve got TZ and LOTR for deeper pinball sessions.
    POTC sits a bit between munsters and TZ and LOTR.
    So that said, AFMr would be another fast and easier rule set (not easy to RTU) but easier to grasp with quicker games...good for entertaining friends.
    TZ and LOTR are better for solo games in my opinion.
    Lots of love for Wonka in this thread and I realize it would tend towards TZ and LOTR in terms of depth, but looks a bit more fun/lighthearted for a few games with friends.
    I also want something that will intrigue non-pinheads. Wonka is a universally loved franchise and as far as AFM goes who doesn’t love bashing martians?
    Appreciate all the feedback so far gang!

I would say Wonka code is far deeper and more complex than TZ or LOTR (I'v owned them all)....probably not as deep as POTC, but close.....the only problem with really deep and complex games is explaining (or remembering) the rules to newbies or kids ..... whats great about AFM is u can explain the rules in 10 minutes....zero chance u can do that with Wonka or POTC....

#15 3 years ago

One of each.

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One of each.
    LTG : )

A man can dream!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-or-wonka-le?hl=zephee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.