• Latest reply 5 years ago by milkduds
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFMR NIB (Scratch) (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Just took delivery of my first new in box game, AFMR. I'll try to follow up with some unboxing and game pics. In the meantime, I'm asking for advice following my first glance at the game opening the box. There's a short, but very noticeable scratch on the right side front of the game (I'll try to get a picture here). Since it's a NIB game, I expected cabinet to be mint. I won't be able to unbox the game until after work, but hopefully, the rest of the cabinet will look good.

What advice do you have for me for dealing with the scratch. I don't want to overreact to something relatively minor, but I'll probably sell the game after a couple of years, and I assume the value will suffer because of it. Should I ask the vendor or CG for touch up paint to help hide it or some $? What have others done to make sure your new game looks new.

The box was in good shape when it arrived, but it looked like the top had been opened (maybe to check LE#?) and re-closed because the flaps with writing were on the inside and were a little beaten up while the outer flaps were the plain ones and looked great.
AFMR NIB (Scratch) (resized).JPGAFMR NIB (Scratch) (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Contact your distributor ASAP

#3 5 years ago

You should look over the rest of the game. If that's literally the only fault you can find, you might be better off with this than a replacement they send you. (If your distributor would replace the game for such a minor imperfection)

#4 5 years ago

This unfortunately is where CGC support and the amazing warranty on paper gets tricky. CGC has GREAT support for basic parts requests. When the issue is something cabinet related or playfield related it is difficult to fix and often costly to fix correctly. The ideal outcome doesn't often appear to happen. I hope they take care of you on this.

#5 5 years ago

Mine had this and worse. I just dealt with it but maybe I am just too lax

#6 5 years ago

Mine had the same on both sides and never got worse. I touched it up with red and black paint pens, and unless you’re using a magnifying glass in a brightly lit room you’d never notice it.

#7 5 years ago

The problem is that if a collector is interested in buying I’m sure they will offer you less.

#8 5 years ago

mine had the exact same problem and CCG told me the only thing they would do send me a new side decal (which in my mind is worthless)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

The problem is that if a collector is interested in buying I’m sure they will offer you less.

Possibly. Worked out fine for me when I let it go. I certainly wasn't excited about it, but they did send me replacement decals... which yeah, are pretty much worthless considering the effort it takes to remove the old ones and install.

I was more concerned about the cabinet splitting, but was told by CGC it's a side effect of the wrap-around decals tearing that happens sometimes. They are 99.99% not going to replace it, I've seen quite a few where this happened. Again, the paint pen thing works great if it bothers you

#10 5 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the input. I'm moving forward with the unboxing and will let you know if I get some help with the cabinet.

Here's my next question for your guidance... I received a new solenoid with the machine and instructions to swap it in. However, the chip that's in there is seated so tightly it won't budge. I'm pulling on the PIC and not the socket, but it's just not coming out. the board is starting to bend behind it. How much pressure can I use on this thing?

#11 5 years ago

Mine was in there pretty good too. Try putting pressure on the board so it doesn't bend, and gently pry the chip from one end until you barely feel it break contact, then do the same with the other end, and you should be able to easily pull it out after. Worst-case, you might bend the pins of the old chip which is useless anyways.

Congrats and have fun!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

Mine was in there pretty good too. Try putting pressure on the board so it doesn't bend, and gently pry the chip from one end until you barely feel it break contact, then do the same with the other end, and you should be able to easily pull it out after. Worst-case, you might bend the pins of the old chip which is useless anyways.
Congrats and have fun!

Got it! Thanks! I had to pry a fair amount, but finally worked it out.

On to the next step!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 210.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-need-advice-on-nib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.