Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_82c56021d2121be158e7324cdcbe4970.jpg
walter (resized).jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

So I've played a few AFMr on route and am just taken by surprised at how cheap they feel compared to an original. I own both and MMr and a MBr and they feel completely solid to me. I've talked to a few other people who say the same thing. I'm just curious what others think on this. I like the larger screen was was thinking about getting one but am on the fence now.

#2 4 years ago

Seems rock solid to me. No issues on mine. What’s cheap feeling mean? Stuff breaking?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So I've played a few AFMr on route and am just taken by surprised at how cheap they feel compared to an original. I own both and MMr and a MBr and they feel completely solid to me. I've talked to a few other people who say the same thing. I'm just curious what others think on this. I like the larger screen was was thinking about getting one but am on the fence now.

Owning an AFMR LE and having had an old one before I really dunno what you‘re talking about as imho the AFMR quality is very good in comparison and the machine feels rock solid when in play. What‘s funny is that I‘ve felt like you do when I‘ve had my MMR-experience...exactly. Felt totally cheap.

#4 4 years ago

I had an AFMr Classic with color and it was rock solid, performed with no errors. Seemed to be well built equal to original

#5 4 years ago

I am of an opinion that these pst should be deleted. The argument is stale.
I've had many people who thought my AFMRLE was the original. Then they
are like wow so many enhancements to original after I show them what the LE is all about.

#6 4 years ago

It's the flipper power. The more powerful flippers plus the clearcoated PF make the ball feel light. If you can get into the CGC menu and dial it down a little it feels much more natural, I went through that on my MMR.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I've had many people who thought my AFMRLE was the original. Then they
are like wow so many enhancements to original after I show them what the LE is all about.

I think you'd have to either be an idiot or have never played an original to not realize it's a not an original. The playfield inserts themselves look completely different and the lighting is brighter than the sun.
It just feels cheap. I had a HUO AFM original and it felt completely different. It's very obvious in the motion of the martians. I'm not saying the game isn't reliable. I think CGC make the highest quality machines currently. I'm just saying the way it plays feels cheap.

#8 4 years ago

I owned 2 nice original AFM's, including a high-end restored one that was gone through from top to bottom, and I now currently own a AFMr-LE... and I don't feel like there is any difference or compromise going to the remake.

As far as my High-End restored AFM, it was super nice and probably worth around $12K back in the day, but the AFMr-LE is just as nice if not nicer for $8K and I wouldn't currently take my restored one over my LE for the same price now.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It's the flipper power. The more powerful flippers plus the clearcoated PF make the ball feel light. If you can get into the CGC menu and dial it down a little it feels much more natural, I went through that on my MMR.

This could be - the game is on route and not mine so I can't open it to check the settings.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It just feels cheap. I had a HUO AFM original and it felt completely different. It's very obvious in the motion of the martians.

You can easily adjust the martians to shake hard like the original, it was the first thing I did as an adjustment. LOL

#11 4 years ago

Are we playing the same game? My AFMr has the best build quality out of any of my games. I feel no difference compared to the originals when I play them, if anything I like the feel of the remake more.

Edit: Going to leave that above statement as is because I'm dumb. But I meant I like the AFMr additions more, which make me lean towards it. Basically I just really enjoy the topper and some of the aesthetic changes they made with lighting.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

You can easily adjust the martians to shake hard like the original, it was the first thing I did as an adjustment. LOL

So maybe the settings are just wonk on this machine. It really threw me off.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Are we playing the same game? My AFMr has the best build quality out of any of my games. I feel no difference compared to the originals when I play them, if anything I like the feel of the remake more.

100% this.

Not understanding at all lol.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I feel no difference compared to the originals when I play them, if anything I like the feel of the remake more.

So you think they play the same yet prefer the play of one over the other?

#15 4 years ago

Got a buddy with a clearcoated AFM original, and we can't tell a difference between his OG AFM and my AFMr LE

#16 4 years ago

I've played a ton of AFM and it's definitely different. You guys must not be as precise a player as me.

#17 4 years ago

I've heard the same comment from many location players.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I swear man, only on Opinionside can you state an opinion saying someone elses opinion should be deleted as if your opinion is superior.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So you think they play the same yet prefer the play of one over the other?

Haha yeah in retrospect that was a bit counter intuitive, so you've earned an upvote from me . To elaborate a bit, I like some of the addons (like the topper in the LE) that lean me towards the remake.

One thing that would fun, would be to find a NIB (if it exists) MM, MB, or AFM and compare them to a remake. A totally brand new playfield vs a 25 year old playfield with thousands of plays will certainly change some amount of how one game plays versus the other.

Quoted from tpir:

100% this.
Not understanding at all lol.

Yeah I was being dumb. I like the aesthetics more, but I'll leave it as is as a testament to my stupidity.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Haha yeah in retrospect that was a bit counter intuitive, so you've earned an upvote from me . To elaborate a bit, I like some of the addons (like the topper in the LE) that lean me towards the remake.
One thing that would fun, would be to find a NIB (if it exists) MM, MB, or AFM and compare them to a remake. A totally brand new playfield vs a 25 year old playfield with thousands of plays will certainly change some amount of how one game plays versus the other.

Yeah I was being dumb. I like the aesthetics more, but I'll leave it as is as a testament to my stupidity.

I understood what you meant I was just ribbing ya! I get the total package is better. I just am wondering if anyone else thinks the gameplay is a bit off. Maybe I'm nuts.

#21 4 years ago

It's been stated but it's the flipper power combined with everything else being new. Most people dont have reference of a brand new afm to compare a remake against any more, most afm are beyond broken in and then some so it can feel diffrerent. If you turn down the flipper power you can get it feeling just like originals, for me its between -3 and -6. I've had all the remakes and still have MMr and MBr.

#22 4 years ago

I had a AFMr LE and it was the nicest most well built game I have ever owned. Played fantastic.

#23 4 years ago

I think they are night and day different.

Enuff said!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think they are night and day different.
Enuff said!

couldnt agree more....the remakes are far better

#25 4 years ago

I can’t believe we’ve been sucked in to another friggin remake vs original thread! How did I fall for this?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

This threw me off at first too, then I played a different one that was turned all the way up.
It’s good that it’s an option tho... some people disable the damn topper even?!? “Too loud” don’t agree but always good to have options

#27 4 years ago

I've played the crap out of my AFMRLE and its a tank. I can't think of anything that I ever had to do to it. CGC builds a solid machine.

#28 4 years ago

So a brand new AFMr doesn't play like the OG AFM from 25 years ago.

#29 4 years ago

Blindfold test!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Blindfold test!

Bet the ball times would be very low.

#31 4 years ago

I think it's you. It might not feel the SAME but definitely not CHEAP, IMO. Every AFMr I've played, I've had no issues with in that regard. Game not functioning well due to being on a row with 20 other pins and not being shopped and the flippers are out of alignment...yeah, once.

#32 4 years ago

There are so many variables...

A machine on route plays crappy compared to my shiny new one...

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So I've played a few AFMr on route and am just taken by surprised at how cheap they feel compared to an original. I own both and MMr and a MBr and they feel completely solid to me. I've talked to a few other people who say the same thing. I'm just curious what others think on this. I like the larger screen was was thinking about getting one but am on the fence now.</blockqu

#34 4 years ago

While an old beat up AFM does feel a bit different than a NIB AFMr, it doesn't seem "cheap" to me.

If you put a NIB Woz next to one that's been heavily routed for 3-5 years, there will be a remarkable difference in the way the gameplay feels.

You'll experience that difference with pretty much any game with significant wear & tear.

I bet that if you compared a heavily routed AFMr and compared it to an AFM, it might be hard to tell them apart from a gameplay perspective.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I think you'd have to either be an idiot or have never played an original to not realize it's a not an original. The playfield inserts themselves look completely different and the lighting is brighter than the sun.
It just feels cheap. I had a HUO AFM original and it felt completely different. It's very obvious in the motion of the martians. I'm not saying the game isn't reliable. I think CGC make the highest quality machines currently. I'm just saying the way it plays feels cheap.

Disagree they are built well. I have played several original Williams games. Flippers is the only thing that feels different to me.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I meant I didn't understand what OP was talking about I agree with you 100% and everything that entails

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I've played a ton of AFM and it's definitely different. You guys must not be as precise a player as me.

LMAO

The flipper buttons feel different is the only thing I can actually say after playing both back-to-back. (I have my LEDs on Remake turned all the way down, but I agree about it being too bright by default.)

#38 4 years ago

I have yet to play an AFMr that feels the same as an original. I have played routed originals and even owned a fully restored example with all new parts. I'm not saying the remake is inferior and if I never played an original then I would not know any better. It just feels different and more like a modern Stern which is strange considering it uses WMS/Bally parts. MMr seems to play closer to the original and MBr has the closest feel so far IMO.

#39 4 years ago

You people are crazy! I’ve owned Metallica, Star Trek, Shadow, BSD and Demoman all 4 times and everyone felt different for the first 30 plays.......After that, I quickly forgot and just enjoyed an awesome game. What felt different you ask, the flippers, the flow,the shots and the speed. This is pinball and it doesn’t take much to make a game “feel different”. Chicago gaming killed these remakes!

#41 4 years ago

I played a MBr for the first time last week. Had never seen the enhanced graphics or larger screen before on those games, in fact I've only played MMr and that was a long time ago. I couldn't tell the difference playwise between an original or remake, and I'd much rather have that screen than the older one honestly, it's pretty sweet. Other than the pure long term reliability factor (where you know you can repair an original AFM but the remake is more of ??? at this point) I can't think of a single reason to go original over the remake when the condition of everything is going to be so much better for the same price.

#42 4 years ago

I think I've figured it out. It's the color of the lights. I went and played it again last night and the leds they use look so much like a cheap pachislo machine with how bright they are. I think the flippers are just different and I guess every game will have different feeling flippers.

I'm definitely not questioning cgc as they've been the most dependable games I own. When I say feel cheap I mean when I walk up to it I get that feeling.

But cgc quality is the best, followed by Stern , then spooky then way in last place is JJP. At least in my experience with route machines.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

But cgc quality is the best, followed by Stern , then spooky then way in last place is JJP.

Whaaaaaa......

I'll be shocked if even one person agrees with this.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I understood what you meant I was just ribbing ya! I get the total package is better. I just am wondering if anyone else thinks the gameplay is a bit off. Maybe I'm nuts.

Yep You said it yourself your Nuts?

#45 4 years ago

The only thing that feels cheap is the topic of this thread.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Whaaaaaa......
I'll be shocked if even one person agrees with this.

There's nothing to agree to, it's simply a fact.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

There's nothing to agree to, it's simply a fact.

one persons fact is another persons Fiction

#48 4 years ago

Why do people start threads like this?
Trying to pump up value of the originals maybe?
Give me a NIB/HUO vs a 25 year old routed machine any day!
I don't have them side to side to compare, but my AFMR seems solid - in fact my PF seems flawless compared to other brands

#49 4 years ago

If what you say is "fact", why do you ask for others opinions?

Go back under your bridge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 79.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-feels-cheap-compared-to-an-afm?hl=stupidjackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.