Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11-28-2017 8-38-38 PM (resized).png
Diverter_Gate (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Recent issue on my AFMr, seemed a bit intermittent, but mostly closed lately. Game plays perfectly besides this issue.

Gate moves freely when manually opened/closed. Does not feel like there is any binding in the coil. No loose or broken wires are obvious.

Any suggestion to diagnose or correct this issue?

Thanks!

Diverter_Gate (resized).jpgDiverter_Gate (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

In Test Mode (T.4), tests 35 & 36 (Diverter Power and Hold) do nothing when selected.

#3 6 years ago

Your game doesn't know what in heck a diverter is. It does know switches.

Open the diverter and roll a ball through. The first switch the ball goes over is the issue. My guess would be the switch arm that comes up through the playfield isn't centered in the slot and may be rubbing on one side. If so it acts slow and the game ignores it in game play. If that is okay, it may need adjusting so when a ball comes through it hits the switch good every time.

The error will go away with game play.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your game doesn't know what in heck a diverter is. It does know switches.

Hi Lloyd. Sorry, you mentioned the same in a prior reply. Just being dense, I guess. Test seems to know the "Diverter State", at least from the on-screen message.

I'll poke around the switches. Makes sense now that I read you reply for a second time.

#5 6 years ago

All switches seem to register as appropriate with the ball used as actuator. Left popper opto works as expected - kicks ball out 100% of attempts.

I do notice the gate will only OPEN manually when appropriate, and does HOLD open until the 3rd ball is locked, then re-closes as expected.

In TEST mode #35 repeat, the diverter coil feels slightly warm, but not at all hot. The diverter coil does not energize in Test mode.

Seems like an issue with the coil, vs a switch/actuator arm.

Any add'l ideas?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Any add'l ideas?

Quoted from LTG:

The error will go away with game play.

That gate back there the ball goes through when the diverter is closed, be sure it's switch isn't stuck closed and registering a hit when it shouldn't.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That gate back there the ball goes through when the diverter is closed, be sure it's switch isn't stuck closed and registering a hit when it shouldn't.

No, on both points. Not stuck closed, not falsely registering.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

In Test Mode (T.4), tests 35 & 36 (Diverter Power and Hold) do nothing when selected.

With the high power interlock enabled, test on 35 should briefly snap it open and the spring snaps it closed.

If yours doesn't do this, please check for broken wire at the coil, cold solder joint. The thin wires from coil to coil lug, dig around them for a crack or break.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

With the high power interlock enabled, test on 35 should briefly snap it open and the spring snaps it closed.
If yours doesn't do this, please check for broken wire at the coil, cold solder joint. The thin wires from coil to coil lug, dig around them for a crack or break.

Does not fire. Will inspect/reflow the solder joints at the coil, then work back thru the harness. Nothing obvious from my earlier inspections.

Thx

#10 6 years ago

Reflowed the solder joints (they did not look that great). Followed the 3 wires up to and then re-seated the pins/connector @ J120.

Success! The error is cleared and the diverter functions as expected.

I'll close the ticket.

Thanks for the help, Lloyd.

#11 6 years ago

Nice job Mark!

#12 6 years ago

Not the normal fix. Good job working through it !

#13 6 years ago

A little prompting goes a long way.

Thx!

Sipping #not coffee#

11-28-2017 8-38-38 PM (resized).png11-28-2017 8-38-38 PM (resized).png

1 month later
#14 6 years ago

I had the exact same problem. Thanks to this thread I just re-seated all the connectors and the code went away. Just curious since this was 3 months ago. Has this problem come back at all or did the fix hold up?

#15 6 years ago

Nice! No more errors here.

#16 6 years ago

Awesome thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-diverter-gate-stuck-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.