Took delivery of my first B/W "remake" this week (http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php). I restored an "original" AFM with HEP back in 2010 that I still own. Didn't know what to expect, but pinball folks I respect/follow were saying some good things about it (so I took the plunge).
The build quality and tasteful options are impressive. The topper lights and movements (yes, the large martian jumps up/down are choreographed with the display and speaker lighting...sick! The LE specific options are:
- An insanely great custom topper.
- Bi-color LED's on mini-saucers.
- Choice of body armor color (black, green, stainless).
- Rich looking medallion mounted on the apron (the best place for it, IMHO).
- Mirror blades. Installing these in the factory is the way to go. I've installed aftermarket blades and always end up scratching them (so I stopped using them).
- Enhanced Warranty. 24 months on electronics, 12 months on mechs! Wow.
The LE "value" here is impressive when compared with my SWLE. Stern's SWLE is an awesome game, however the "LE" upgrade is not so awesome (limited to no-choice body armor and different art package). The Stern LE plagues look cheap/generic. The CGC plague has color, cool artwork, and looks "rich". I know it's just a plague, but it's a statement from the company that built it.
I've been a loyal Stern customer for 15 years...not trying to start a CGC vs. Stern battle. Just hope Stern takes notice and steps up their "LE game". They created the multi-tier pinball model and it would be great if they took it more seriously. CGC has taken the idea and run with it on AFMr...that's for sure.
If you are considering an AFMr, buy with confidence! Not "cheap", but you are getting a lot for your dollar.