4B13563C-297E-460F-BF7B-4A5E16A9C1C2 (resized).jpeg
ADC02791-40B4-402B-9EA5-11D860E42F4E (resized).jpeg
6A8BB82B-30E5-4597-8BB2-EB232CF60D29 (resized).jpeg
7EB856F9-8350-4953-AF1A-8F3ED3F3C335 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8465 (resized).jpg
IMG_8466 (resized).jpg
IMG_8467 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Took delivery of my first B/W "remake" this week (http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php). I restored an "original" AFM with HEP back in 2010 that I still own. Didn't know what to expect, but pinball folks I respect/follow were saying some good things about it (so I took the plunge).

The build quality and tasteful options are impressive. The topper lights and movements (yes, the large martian jumps up/down are choreographed with the display and speaker lighting...sick! The LE specific options are:

- An insanely great custom topper.
- Bi-color LED's on mini-saucers.
- Choice of body armor color (black, green, stainless).
- Rich looking medallion mounted on the apron (the best place for it, IMHO).
- Mirror blades. Installing these in the factory is the way to go. I've installed aftermarket blades and always end up scratching them (so I stopped using them).
- Enhanced Warranty. 24 months on electronics, 12 months on mechs! Wow.

The LE "value" here is impressive when compared with my SWLE. Stern's SWLE is an awesome game, however the "LE" upgrade is not so awesome (limited to no-choice body armor and different art package). The Stern LE plagues look cheap/generic. The CGC plague has color, cool artwork, and looks "rich". I know it's just a plague, but it's a statement from the company that built it.

I've been a loyal Stern customer for 15 years...not trying to start a CGC vs. Stern battle. Just hope Stern takes notice and steps up their "LE game". They created the multi-tier pinball model and it would be great if they took it more seriously. CGC has taken the idea and run with it on AFMr...that's for sure.

If you are considering an AFMr, buy with confidence! Not "cheap", but you are getting a lot for your dollar.

snaroff

IMG_8467 (resized).jpgIMG_8467 (resized).jpg

IMG_8466 (resized).jpgIMG_8466 (resized).jpg

IMG_8465 (resized).jpgIMG_8465 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Took delivery of my first B/W "remake" this week (http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php). I restored an "original" AFM with HEP back in 2010 that I still own. Didn't know what to expect, but pinball folks I respect/follow were saying some good things about it (so I took the plunge).
The build quality and tasteful options are impressive. The topper lights and movements (yes, the large martian jumps up/down are choreographed with the display and speaker lighting...sick! The LE specific options are:
- An insanely great custom topper.
- Bi-color LED's on mini-saucers.
- Choice of body armor color (black, green, stainless).
- Rich looking medallion mounted on the apron (the best place for it, IMHO).
- Mirror blades. Installing these in the factory is the way to go. I've installed aftermarket blades and always end up scratching them (so I stopped using them).
- Enhanced Warranty. 24 months on electronics, 12 months on mechs! Wow.
The LE "value" here is impressive when compared with my SWLE. Stern's SWLE is an awesome game, however the "LE" upgrade is not so awesome (limited to no-choice body armor and different art package). The Stern LE plagues look cheap/generic. The CGC plague has color, cool artwork, and looks "rich". I know it's just a plague, but it's a statement from the company that built it.
I've been a loyal Stern customer for 15 years...not trying to start a CGC vs. Stern battle. Just hope Stern takes notice and steps up their "LE game". They created the multi-tier pinball model and it would be great if they took it more seriously. CGC has taken the idea and run with it on AFMr...that's for sure.
If you are considering an AFMr, buy with confidence! Not "cheap", but you are getting a lot for your dollar.
snaroff

Stern used to step up their LE's look at Star Trek LE.......They've chosen to cheapen them since then and I don't see them reversing course. Sad. Agree AFMr LE is AMAZEBALLS!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Stern used to step up their LE's look at Star Trek LE.......They've chosen to cheapen them since then and I don't see them reversing course. Sad. Agree AFMr LE is AMAZEBALLS!

I agree, STLE is a stand out (owned one when it was released). I don't think it's reflective of Stern LE's before or after.

#4 6 years ago

I completely agree! The AFMr LE is a home run. It’s as good as pinball gets in my opinion - an all time classic game with modern enhancements. CGC and Doug Skor have done a great job providing a quality product, service, and communication. I can’t wait for TPF to find out what remake #3 is, as I will almost certainly buy one.

#5 6 years ago

Agreed. I got mine a few days ago. It also has a shaker motor, color changing speaker lights, impressive speakers, the back panel decal, the bigger screen with improved dots..

It's very well done.

#6 6 years ago

I AGREE WITH WHAT HAS BEEN SAID. I GOT MY AFMR LE (#456) 2 DAYS AGO. I BOUGHT IT FROM "THE GAME GUYS" AND I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. IT IS GREAT GAME TO PLAY AND IT IS JUST PLAIN FUN TO WATCH IN ACTION AND TO LOOK AT. FAST ACTION AND A REAL LIGHT SHOW (THERE IS WARNING LABEL FOR EPILEPTICS!). I HAD AN ORIGINAL MM THAT I BOUGHT NIB AND SOLD 2 YEARS AGO SO I JUST DID NOT WANT ANOTHER ONE AND I WASN'T SURE WHAT I COULD EXPECT FROM A 'REMAKE'. THIS IS MY FIRST CGC PIN AND I AM SOLD ON THEIR QUALITY. OUTSTANDING! NOW I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT'S NEXT (I HOPE IT IS MB, IF SO, SIGN ME UP!)

#7 6 years ago

How could you seriously review this LE package and not point out the ridiculously awesome DISPLAY!!!
Best new aspect in my opinion. I'm a dots-loving guy, so to me this is the best display in pinball right now.

#8 6 years ago

Black trim looks great....I went with the Green I couldn't agree more with your LE assessment...there is "actually" real value in paying the extra $1k....with Stern its a TOTAL waste of money....

#9 6 years ago

Good analogy! I have #267 and I believe this game is a great investment on top of all thats been said. I wonder if CGC has raised the bar to high for even them to match!

#10 6 years ago

Got my AFMR LE #29

7EB856F9-8350-4953-AF1A-8F3ED3F3C335 (resized).jpeg7EB856F9-8350-4953-AF1A-8F3ED3F3C335 (resized).jpeg

6A8BB82B-30E5-4597-8BB2-EB232CF60D29 (resized).jpeg6A8BB82B-30E5-4597-8BB2-EB232CF60D29 (resized).jpeg

ADC02791-40B4-402B-9EA5-11D860E42F4E (resized).jpegADC02791-40B4-402B-9EA5-11D860E42F4E (resized).jpeg

4B13563C-297E-460F-BF7B-4A5E16A9C1C2 (resized).jpeg4B13563C-297E-460F-BF7B-4A5E16A9C1C2 (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago

Afmle is a beast !!!!

#12 6 years ago

I think it is the best overall game which is currently being manufactured in terms of quality and fun.

#13 6 years ago

I've played this and it's a blast. All out Great Build Quality. GB is my last Stern that I'll own. There's only 3 companies out there that would get my money. JJP, AP, and Planetary!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How could you seriously review this LE package and not point out the ridiculously awesome DISPLAY!!!
Best new aspect in my opinion. I'm a dots-loving guy, so to me this is the best display in pinball right now.

Technically, the display isn't a feature of the LE...also on the SE. But yes, it's a great display!

snaroff

#15 6 years ago

1000 pieces not very limited though.
i would like one of these myself. very nicely done.

3 months later
#16 6 years ago

Which is your favourite color trim?

Is the green a little too much or feels right?
Black seems to suite allot!

Ive not seen these in person as of yet.

#17 6 years ago

I almost picked black because it gave the game a sinister look but chose the safe option;stainless. It really matches up with the silver saucers .

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I almost picked black because it gave the game a sinister look but chose the safe option;stainless. It really matches up with the silver saucers .

Cool! Yeah I agree with the sinister quote.

#19 6 years ago

green is pretty tacky! black/stainless is the only way to go.

#20 6 years ago

I was hesitant to get the Martian Green initially based on the photos, but after seeing it in person at TPF last year I changed my order from black to green and am very glad I did. It looks awesome and makes the LE truly distinctive. I have the stainless trim on my MMr and the green trim is much nicer in my opinion and doesn’t show fingerprints. The black trim also looks good but is a very common color as it is usually used on Stern Pro models, although not as glossy.

The vast majority of buyers also went with Martian Green according to Doug at CGC.

An incredible game no matter what color trim you get!

Quoted from CGC_DougS:

• So here is the REAL breakdown. Of AFMR orders, 73% have chosen Martian Green, 20% Black, and 7% Stainless.

#21 6 years ago

Game is crazy good, I bought a MMR and sold it and kept my original.The AFMR LE gotta say is a better game then my original by far.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Game is crazy good, I bought a MMR and sold it and kept my original.The AFMR LE gotta say is a better game then my original by far.

If you don't mind me asking, Why did you buy a MMR if you have an original to begin with?

Quoted from JJHLH:

I was hesitant to get the Martian Green initially based on the photos, but after seeing it in person at TPF last year I changed my order from black to green and am very glad I did. It looks awesome and makes the LE truly distinctive. I have the stainless trim on my MMr and the green trim is much nicer in my opinion and doesn’t show fingerprints. The black trim also looks good but is a very common color as it is usually used on Stern Pro models, although not as glossy.
The vast majority of buyers also went with Martian Green according to Doug at CGC.
An incredible game no matter what color trim you get!

Ok noted! I now need to see it in person!

#23 6 years ago

MMR ? ok I had my MMR on order and was offered MM & BR both mint games for a great price,sold The Banzai Run next day !
Hope that answered your question

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

MMR ? ok I had my MMR on order and was offered MM & BR both mint games for a great price,sold The Banzai Run next day !
Hope that answered your question

Makes perfect sense!

These AFMR LE'S look amazing to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.