(Topic ID: 209763)

AFM - which shots should be backhandable?

By meeotch

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jfre81
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Obviously, this depends on pf pitch, coil age, how much magic black pinball dust is gunking up your sleeves, etc... But on a well-adjusted Attack from Mars, which shots should generally be makeable "backhand" - i.e., from the same side flipper as the shot itself? Stroke of Luck for sure - but how about either of the ramps? The lock (diverter open or closed)?

(Full disclosure: I'm asking primarily in order to get the flipper strength setting right on my AFMr, and don't have an original AFM for comparison.)

#2 6 years ago

The SOL and any ramps I was never able to backhand. Only thing I could manage is the ball lock shot. Everything else had to be hit directly.

#3 6 years ago

I backhand both ramp shots fairly often. Sol regularly (the ball needs to be a little above the flipper when hit). The lock regularly, but the shot to light lock extremely rare. I have a well turned original.

#4 6 years ago

I can backhand them all but I agree that backhanding the lock shot is very difficult and rare.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Oh, and a follow-up for those of you who are able to backhand the ramps - can you do it from a caught (non-moving) ball, or only on a rebound?

#6 6 years ago

I can backhand the lock and SOL pretty consistently. Ramps are tough and not sure that I can do it from a static cradle.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from meeotch:

Thanks for the replies. Oh, and a follow-up for those of you who are able to backhand the ramps - can you do it from a caught (non-moving) ball, or only on a rebound?

I can backhand the ramps and SOL hole fairly consistently from a caught ball; that being said, everyones games will play slightly different and I have flippers that are adjusted to be positioned in line with the guide rails at rest...this makes it easier to cradle the ball and gives a higher throw over factory settings.

THE BAD: When I play one of these in the wild, its a whole different game and I'm lucky to make over 4 billion

EDIT: I literally just installed my PIC2.0, I set the flipper power at -3 and the game plays a lot different...seems more controlled; however, I can no longer backhand the ramps as the power just isn't there...

#8 6 years ago

Tested on my AFMr with PIC 2.0 - at default strength, I managed to backhand the left ramp from a caught ball once out of a dozen or more tries. Right ramp not at all. At power -3, no chance. The lock ramp seems unbackhandable either way - though the lock shot itself probably is.

Tested on my MM (original, and yeah, I know - not the same game). I was able to backhand the left ramp right away. Hit several backhand shots to the right ramp that probably would have made it on AFM, which has a shorter right ramp.

#9 6 years ago

Both ramps and lock shot should be done if your machine's set up right. Orbits are tough to backhand and requires a redirect at a wide angle. Avoid the urge. Ball control is the No. 1 priority.

The important one is the lock shot, and you should hit it from either side. Get your multi and let the saucer have it, and/or go for that super jackpot which you need to start Rule the Universe wizard mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Boards
PinSound

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-which-shots-should-be-backhandable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.