Hey I thought I'd update for anyone who runs into this...
This is a brand new scoop and I didn't want to start bending things or drilling holes into it.
I simply shimmed the right side (from underneath the playfield) of the scoop mech with a thin washer. I also lowered the coil as much as I could by loosening screws and moving it. It's the only adjustment you can make on that mech.
I did the shim after adjusting the coil - the adjustment helped slow it down but the aim was still off and it was still slamming into the left inlane on occasion.
Together these two adjustments did the trick. It's reliably going to the middle of the left flipper. I also think the slower launch created by moving the coil may help reduce possible wear in the future...it was really violently depositing the ball onto the playfield before.