(Topic ID: 74749)

AFM: Where does your ball hit whet ejected from SOL scoop?

By schudel5

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on a playfield swap on AFM. Originally when the ball shot out of the SOL scoop it would hit the left metal return guide. Is this where everyone else's AFM ball hits when ejected? Doesn't look adjustable enough to get it to the left flipper.

Just curious about how your AFM ejects. Just trying to get this one correct.

#2 10 years ago

It definitely should hit between the middle and top 1/3 of the left flipper.

Mine is like yours, and hits the metal return guide. I've tried to adjust the assembly, but it seemed to have either zero or a tiny effect. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

#3 10 years ago

Wife (chief AFM player) confirms that it goes to left flipper on ours. I haven't been out in a while Mike. Are you putting in the ColorDMDs? Merry Christmas.

#4 10 years ago

There are some other threads on this. I got my AFM only recently. It was also firing to the left metal inlane, and even sometimes to the left slingshot. It already has a Mantis scoop installed. I took the scoop out and used a Dremmel to make the mounting holes slightly slotted to get some adjustment. Also had to bend the eject part of the scoop(damn that steel is strong!). Now mine fires to the left flipper about 80-90% of the time. That is when you get to learn the all important drop catch out of the SOL!

#5 10 years ago

That scoop takes a beating, much like MB's. As mentioned, it should go to the left flipper for an easy catch.

#6 10 years ago

Left flipper. If I don't press the left flipper it used to bounce to the right flipper and up the right lane, giving you (potentially) two lane lights as it goes up over the lane switch and then back down. But lately it's been bouncing higher, typically hitting the right slingshot. Not sure what changed (temperature? Maybe the machine has moved a little on my unlevel garage floor? Maybe the playfield is seated slightly differently in the cabinet?), but it's still a blast to play...

#7 10 years ago

Mine lands on the metal guide above the left flippers too. Would prefer it to hit the flipper...

Could it be a playfield pitch thing? Too shallow and it hits the metal guide? I replaced my SOL scoop and it still does the exact same. As I'm due to replace the play-field soon I haven't bothered too much at this time, but if it continues post-replacement then I'll be making adjustments to ensure it works correctly!

Also need to replace the SOL coil sleeve, not that it's broken, just because I have no idea when it last got done.

#8 10 years ago

Mine lands on the left flipper 100% of the time.
You can either try to bend the top of the metal scoop to guide it better, or adjusting the coil firing it out of the scoop.
I had the same kind of problem on my TZ, and after about an hour of adjusting it, it fires where it should.

#9 10 years ago

I'm going to wait until my Cliffy protector shows up and see how the scoop behaves once that's installed. I'm guessing I'll have to enlarge the holes to allow adjustability.

When it used to hit the left inlane guide, it still would bounce to the right flipper. I'd like it to hit the left flipper first though.

#10 10 years ago

Left flipper on mine too...every time.

#11 10 years ago

It should consistently hit the left flipper. It should never wander. If its inconsistent, the scoop probably had divots and needs to be replaced. Other possibility is the coil mech needs to be cleaned, recoil sleeved, and possibly rebuilt (you can rob the mech from the other VuK or just swap them I think). If it is very consistent but shooting at the wrong place, I'd suggest trying to slightly adjust the VuK's pointing location if at all possible.

1 year later
#12 9 years ago

Mine is hitting the left inlane as well and then bouncing all the hell over the place, usually hitting a kicker or two.

This doesn't work for me...shouldn't be an adventure every time you hit the SOL.

It's a brand new scoop with a cliff...any other fresh opinions on how to deal with this?

There's virtually no room for adjusting the mount beyond putting new holes underneath the playfield. Those of you who have bent scoops, how did you do that and in which direction?

#13 9 years ago

Hey I thought I'd update for anyone who runs into this...

This is a brand new scoop and I didn't want to start bending things or drilling holes into it.

I simply shimmed the right side (from underneath the playfield) of the scoop mech with a thin washer. I also lowered the coil as much as I could by loosening screws and moving it. It's the only adjustment you can make on that mech.

I did the shim after adjusting the coil - the adjustment helped slow it down but the aim was still off and it was still slamming into the left inlane on occasion.

Together these two adjustments did the trick. It's reliably going to the middle of the left flipper. I also think the slower launch created by moving the coil may help reduce possible wear in the future...it was really violently depositing the ball onto the playfield before.

2 months later
#14 9 years ago

I have this problem on my restore, I replaced the sol assembly, cleaned the coil in an ultra sonic cleaner. Now the ball comes out like a bat outta hell! I did the shim thing it helped, right now the ball hits where the ball guide and flipper meet. The post above states that you can move the coil down? I don't see how that is possible?

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

Is there any play/room to slightly twist it when you loosen the screws holding it to the playfield? Just a tiny rotation should make it land on your flipper... Maybe try constant twisting (towards the flipper) while you tighten the screws - that might be just enough to change the trajectory.

#18 8 years ago

Yes left flipper everytime

2 months later
#19 8 years ago

Just to update on this. I bought a brand new scoop from Mantis, cleaned the solenoid plunger and replaced the coil sleeve, and tried adjusting the solenoid position. None of this made the kickout like I wanted it. I again used a Dremel on the new scoop to slightly elongate the mounting holes to provide a small range of adjustment. BAM! Now the SOL fires to the left flipper 100% of the time. It is drop catch heaven!

#20 8 years ago

I guess I need to do this. Did you do all the holes? Any pictures

#21 8 years ago

Did any of you guys compare the width of the replacement scoop vs. the original? I'm wondering if it is wider than the original, like my TZ Mantis scoop was. In that case, the solution to the "spraying" of shots out of that scoop was to go back to an original.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I guess I need to do this. Did you do all the holes? Any pictures

Sorry, I don't have any pics. I just looked at which way I needed to rotate it and elongated 3 of the 4 holes only by a mm or 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

16,500 (OBO)
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-where-does-your-ball-hit-whet-ejected-from-sol-scoop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.