Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dkjimbo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey everybody - got a strange audio issue on an Attack From Mars.

Occasionally (lets say 30% of the time) when you destroy the mothership during a game and it goes through the detonation animation and light show, the sound will drop entirely for about 3 seconds, then you hear the typical boot up "DING" sound and then the sound picks right back up mid-game but the volume is higher than it was before. After the next ball drain, the volume reverts back to its normal state.

my gut tells me this is some sort of voltage surge or voltage drop that's causing the Audio portion of the audio/video board to reset?

Keep in mind the following details - the issue does not in any way impact the DMD, the lighting on the game, the gameplay itself, etc - this is ONLY a sound issue. The issue never occurs at any other point in gameplay or attract mode - it ONLY happens during the mothership detonation sequence. The capacitors LOOK fine but are clearly original - could this simply be the caps? which ones? every one on the board or just the big filter caps? Anything else I should consider?

I have done the following:

removed the Audio/Video board and reflowed solder at all connector pin locations and anywhere else that looks suspect
reseated all connections.

#2 7 years ago

Model of audio board -picture?

#3 7 years ago

EXACTLY the problem I was facing...and to some extent still am. I had to get my strobe board rebuilt, and now I'm sending my driver board out to be rebuilt as well. I wish I could tell you definitively what the issue is, but it was suspected that the strobe board was causing 12v bleedthrough into the 5v circuit somehow. My sound doesn't reset when the mothership gets hit anymore, but I do have random reset issues, and my shooter lane mod from Pinball Pro (a great mod) is now behaving erratically when the mothership gets hit.

So you're not alone. I'll try to keep you posted when I get my driver board rebuilt after the Super Bowl (there are some failures with LM317 on the driver board that can effect the 5v line, and it's not a bad idea to replace the caps and diodes anyway). Keep your chin up...I've only been going through this since May! (Game works flawlessly besides that.) Best of luck...

PS - I'll do you one better: I have a wine refrigerator on the same line as my pins, and when the compressor kicks on, the rear popper pops twice with a five second gap. Figure THAT one out.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

EXACTLY the problem I was facing...and to some extent still am. I had to get my strobe board rebuilt, and now I'm sending my driver board out to be rebuilt as well. I wish I could tell you definitively what the issue is, but it was suspected that the strobe board was causing 12v bleedthrough into the 5v circuit somehow. My sound doesn't reset when the mothership gets hit anymore, but I do have random reset issues, and my shooter lane mod from Pinball Pro (a great mod) is now behaving erratically when the mothership gets hit.
So you're not alone. I'll try to keep you posted when I get my driver board rebuilt after the Super Bowl (there are some failures with LM317 on the driver board that can effect the 5v line, and it's not a bad idea to replace the caps and diodes anyway). Keep your chin up...I've only been going through this since May! (Game works flawlessly besides that.) Best of luck...
PS - I'll do you one better: I have a wine refrigerator on the same line as my pins, and when the compressor kicks on, the rear popper pops twice with a five second gap. Figure THAT one out.

OMG! thank you so much for this info! I am having issues with my strobe as well. I have the rebuild parts on order for the strobe board (my strobe just frankly doesn't work - it has the pinbits upgrade in it but its still DOA). perhaps these 2 issues are related?!!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

OMG! thank you so much for this info! I am having issues with my strobe as well. I have the rebuild parts on order for the strobe board (my strobe just frankly doesn't work - it has the pinbits upgrade in it but its still DOA). perhaps these 2 issues are related?!!

Well...like I said, I'll let you know. I do know the ship doesn't knock out the sound anymore (mine would come back on softer until the next ball, not louder). But I do have random sound board resets, which is most likely a 5v issue.

#6 7 years ago

I would replace/check speakers. My cabinet speaker was going bad and caused my Sound board to crap out. Repaired board by Coin Op Cauldron. He suggested that cabinet speaker was failing causing issue. Just a suggestion.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I would replace/check speakers. My cabinet speaker was going bad and caused my Sound board to crap out. Repaired board by Coin Op Cauldron. He suggested that cabinet speaker was failing causing issue. Just a suggestion.

That could be. I had a FF upgrade recently installed, so that was ruled out for me. (Did a full restoration, documented here...)

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...like I said, I'll let you know. I do know the ship doesn't knock out the sound anymore (mine would come back on softer until the next ball, not louder). But I do have random sound board resets, which is most likely a 5v issue.

I am optimistically hoping that my issue is specifically and only related to the strobe board since that is the only time the sound issue occurs - never under any other circumstances.

I went ahead and ordered the pinbits strobe board rebuild kit as well as caps for the audio/visual board. I will report back after installing all of that to see if perhaps I kill 2 birds with one stone and get my sound to stop flaking out and get the strobe to work.

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

Just wanted to follow up. I rebuilt the strobe board with the Pinbits rebuild kit and it fixed the strobe board AND the audio has stopped resetting and acting weird. I'm calling this case closed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 21.50
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-weird-audio-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.