• Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“AFM vs. RFM”

• AFM - the original and still the best 89 votes
    56%
  • RFM - great sequel that improves upon the original like The Godfather Pt. 2 65 votes
    41%
  • I can't stand either of them 6 votes
    4%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

survivor.gif
PFComparison.jpg
Martiantini.JPG
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago

RFM is perfect for the novice pinhead or people who love to bash the center ramp n see a fancy light show. AFM is more a players game. Just look at the PAPA vids. How many tourney videos do you see RFM used for??

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You are of course, correct. Rfm is more of a shooters game. Way more sloppy shots get through on AFM...

Not sure if you are serious or not. RFM is a lot easier than AFM. A LOT easier. That's one reason that it got so repetitive to me so fast. It has a *lot* of modes...but I'd get through almost all of them in a game, so those modes didn't say too fresh (though I always enjoyed looking at the blonde hottie at the start of "Mars Kneads Women"!) I was attacking Mars the first day I had the pin.

Yes, I could have made it more difficult by opening the outlanes, but I just didn't feel the desire do so. The hits up the middle are way safer than they are on AFM.

Look, RFM is fun enough, it's got some great humor (some of it is fairly bad though) and it is a true crowd pleaser to my non-pinhead friends and family, but I didn't find it to be very challenging, especially compared to AFM and getting to RTU.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Alien update as of 10:00pm central standard time:
Well six hours later and Attack has landed another 20 blows compared to a meager 4 for Revenge (the night time crowd really loves them some AFM). It looks like it's time to pull out a body bag and declare a winner of this smackdown:
Attack from Mars!!!!!!!!

As of now, AFM has twice as many votes as RFM.

The tribe has spoken. survivor.gifsurvivor.gif

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

As of now, AFM has twice as many votes as RFM.

37x2 is 74, more than 72 votes for AFM, Oh, yeah, you are rueing the day you made that comment! J/K!

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Come on Rob... You know you cant simplify it that much

There are twice as many RFMs machines produced and based on age of the games, likely more than 2 times as many RFMs still in existence than AFMs.

I think this poll is pretty damn accurate when you consider supply vs demand impact on current price of each game.
A stock but super nice RFM is ~2700?
A stock but super nice AFM is ~7000?
just guessing on these prices...

Price adjust the RFM to account for twice as many games in the supply chain>>> for the hell of it lets make it easy and just double the price to get the adjusted price. RFM is a 5200 game when price adjusted to the supply of AFM (obviously this is assuming a direct inverse correlation of market price by change in supply; probably not precise but you get the idea). That means RFM is roughly 75% of the value of AFM if they both were available in the same supply. Oddly enough, RFM has approximately 57% of the number of votes that AFM has. This actually would hint that the poll has been artificially biased by people that feel the need to protect the value if their AFMs...

Interesting use of data, but wouldn't your conclusion based on your numbers be the opposite of what you are saying?

Since there are double the number of RFM machines out there, wouldn't there be more votes for it so its perceived value would increase? Unless you are stating people with AFM are the only ones that vote to protect an investment. IF that is your conclusion, I guess all RFM owners were Capital One babies when they were growing up and don't like more cash back. Honestly, this thread will not matter one iota when it comes time for people to buy/sell their AFM/RFM.

Actually I wish there was a I like both option on the survey, as both are fun games. I will get a RFM someday, and I look forward going over a friend's house in a couple of weeks to play one.

#106 11 years ago

Diving into this hot (albeit) "losing" mess with another vote for RFM!
Redundant gameplay aside,
RFM is just such a departure from everything else I own/play...
Serviceability is definitely is top-notch with the easy-to-use, very comprehensive menu system- which is of course paired nicely to the swiftly removable, "plug and play" PF. We also can't forget how impressive RFM's stereo (yes, STEREO!) system actually IS when experienced in a quiet home environment. (Which is "VERY", BTW... )
I think the AFM crowd has merit in what they believe to be a "A" game but- for me, RFM delivers the total "alien-annihilating" package. (Even though I do love the strobe multi on AFM more... )

Plus, the footprint is perfect for tight places (small corners) and it is STILL cheaper than Stern's "The Pin"!
Big kudos to everyone (George, Pat, etc...) who made RFM even possible in the first place. I appreciate all of the hard work/long hours you guys put in to deliver this baby to the masses.

I will be ever optimistic for the future of P2K; hopefully one day, some passionate group of people will get together to create another game (or possibly games!) for this amazing machine.

Fingers crossed for TRON 2.0! (*whispers* It will be worth 20K by Christmas!!! )

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Big kudos to everyone (George, Pat, etc...) who made RFM even possible in the first place. I appreciate all of the hard work/long hours you guys put in to deliver this baby to the masses.

Well said. Just received my copy of "Tilt" from Pingame Journal, can't wait to check it out.

#108 11 years ago

I too popped 'Tilt' into the DVD player after picking my newly acquired RFM up. (I hadn't watched it in some time...) Man, I really felt for everyone who was directly involved in the P2K process, especially George- specifically during the last part of his interview when he was holding back the tears. (I would have probably done the same thing...) It's tough to have to call "B.S.", in a room full of your co-workers when everyone you respect is onboard with the majorities "good" idea. It just made me like Pat and George even more!
And on the other side of that coin...
It made me hate George Lucas even more!!!
Why on earth would you NOT want all of that collective Bally/Williams/Midway talent to give/offer feedback to the newest Star Wars game?!?

Lucas to closed door/quarantined P2K EP1 team:
"Yeah, we need more JarJar, he's going to be HUGELY popular when the movie comes out..."

Way to go buddy!
F*@$king Lucas!!!!!!

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Interesting use of data, but wouldn't your conclusion based on your numbers be the opposite of what you are saying?
Since there are double the number of RFM machines out there, wouldn't there be more votes for it so its perceived value would increase? Unless you are stating people with AFM are the only ones that vote to protect an investment. IF that is your conclusion, I guess all RFM owners were Capital One babies when they were growing up and don't like more cash back. Honestly, this thread will not matter one iota when it comes time for people to buy/sell their AFM/RFM.
Actually I wish there was a I like both option on the survey, as both are fun games. I will get a RFM someday, and I look forward going over a friend's house in a couple of weeks to play one.

I was really just having fun and trying to make a point that Rob had completely oversimplified things by trying to tie current price of the game to overall popularity. I have also been on here long enough to realize that there are so many speculators that like to ride the hype machine that it is much more likely that AFM votes in this poll have been artificially inflated by people that are voting with their wallets and resale values in mind rather than actual game play and enjoyment. AFM took a bump up in value last year and a bunch of people owners seemed convinced it would be selling for as much as MM (I honestly thought it was on its way up even higher as it is a great game), but now it is more apparent that its new high water mark was pretty well established. I think/know there were a few people that hyped the hell out of the rise and thought they were going to be able to cash in big on their AFMs they bought a few years back for a few K. These people are still around and likely still trying to hype (just not as vocal since the tide has resided).

Both are great games and I do not like either better than the other. They are seriously apples and oranges in how they play and overall concept. They have similar shot layouts but the geometry is completely different and the P2K is obviously a whole new thing. I voted RFm in this poll simply because I am now to the stage of being more interested in having a diverse collection than being concerned with how many high value yet more similar games I can own. My current size limitation of 7 (really only room for 6; oops) means that RFM will bring some real novelty to the overall collection when it is up and running.

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They are seriously apples and oranges in how they play and overall concept. They have similar shot layouts but the geometry is completely different and the P2K is obviously a whole new thing.

Bingo.

I think this debate would have been much less heated if all of the RFM fans agreed with this point. Too many of them are arguing that they are pretty much the same pin with the same shots.

Once it is agreed that they are apples and oranges in how they play, the debate really ends because at that point it simply comes down to personal preferences (purely subjective). Really one of the main reasons that I sold my RFM so soon is that I'm going to be bringing AFM back into the lineup and the themes are obviously way too similar.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I voted RFm in this poll simply because I am now to the stage of being more interested in having a diverse collection than being concerned with how many high value yet more similar games I can own.

I completely understand the desire to have a diverse collection and something different. I'm really enjoying my SC for this very reason. But voting for RFM over AFM for this reason alone was not the question posed by the poll as I understood it, but I guess that too is subject to interpretation.

#111 11 years ago

I had an RFM and didn't enjoy it although guests did. What really turned me off was how you're in a mode 100% of the time. Even though there's 15 or so modes it felt monotonous. In the end the ruleset was too different than what I'm used to and it had to go.

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If that's what you really think, there is virtually zero point in even discussing the issue with you (or anyone else who thinks this way, including the people who gave your post a thumbs up).
I mean seriously, I'm just at a complete loss as to what to say to anyone who thinks that AFM and RFM shoot the same, despite the similar layout. They don't. Period.

So a shot straight up the middle differs on AFM in what way? As an example, for a straight shot, you press a button on a cabinet which causes a flipper to send a metal ball straight up the middle to hit a target and it is not the same on both machines? Are you serious? Listen to yourself. Does the same shot on AFM cure cancer? How about feed the homeless? I guess that I am missing something here. Sorry about being sarcastic. I am going to end up getting myself shot on this forum. Just hope that it is not from an AFM owner because they will shoot better.

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Just hope that it is not from an AFM owner because they will shoot better.

BAZINGA!

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

RFM is perfect for the novice pinhead or people who love to bash the center ramp n see a fancy light show. AFM is more a players game. Just look at the PAPA vids. How many tourney videos do you see RFM used for??

Ummmmm, you have to hit other shots first before you can bash the center ramp. At least it was like that the last time that I checked.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

So a shot straight up the middle differs on AFM in what way? As an example, for a straight shot, you press a button on a cabinet which causes a flipper to send a metal ball straight up the middle to hit a target and it is not the same on both machines? Are you serious? Listen to yourself. Does the same shot on AFM cure cancer? How about feed the homeless? I guess that I am missing something here. Sorry about being sarcastic. I am going to end up getting myself shot on this forum. Just hope that it is not from an AFM owner because they will shoot better.

I'll assume you havent played much AFM. RFM shots to the center can cause you to advance through modes and are safer since the up-ramp will divert the ball away from dangerous return shots. AFM center shots are usually saved for while in multiball since they are much more dangerous and will result in a center drain if you continue to take your chances on later saucers since they require quite a few shots to defeat them.

#116 11 years ago

Still waiting for your "stats" that show RFM is better then AFM. I gave you mine which seemed to bring crickets on your part.

Bazinga!!!

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'll assume you havent played much AFM. RFM shots to the center can cause you to advance through modes and are safer since the up-ramp will divert the ball away from dangerous return shots. AFM center shots are usually saved for while in multiball since they are much more dangerous and will result in a center drain if you continue to take your chances on later saucers sine they require quite a few shots to defeat them.

Ok. I will buy that. That was well said. Point taken. It has been a while since I have played that machine to be honest.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Still waiting for your "stats" that show RFM is better then AFM. I gave you mine which seemed to bring crickets on your part.
Bazinga!!!

Stat 1:

People who prefer RFM spell the correct iteration of the word 'than' 2 over people who prefer AFM.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Ummmmm, you have to hit other shots first before you can bash the center ramp. At least it was like that the last time that I checked.

Sorry you're wrong....shots to the orbits or ramps will advance through the modes but you can just bash the center and eventually raise the jump ramp in order to finish the mode. Maybe you need to play a lil more RFM to see how boring it is???

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Stat 1:
People who prefer RFM spell the correct iteration of the word 'than' 2 over people who prefer AFM.

Ahhh grammar smack......when you have nothing else to support your case. I should have realized it was coming. Thanks for proving that the only thing RFM has over AFM is its cheap price tag.

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ahhh grammar smack......when you have nothing else to support your case. I should have realized it was coming. Thanks for proving that the only thing RFM has over AFM is its cheap price tag.

I paid over 3k for my RFM. It wasn't cheap.

Having said that, I think we can all agree that neither RFM or AFM are bad games.....

We each can prefer one to the other, but if it comes down to it, in a one-game-bar-room, in an unknown town, if either of these titles were there, we'd play them... And like it!

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

My question RobT, is why do you own a RFM and not an AFM? Just thought I would bring that up to be a complete pain in the A$$. In all seriousness I belive that they shoot similar, and I do like both games and I am sure that you believe that Attack plays better. Thats cool. The bottom line is that whichever game people like better does not matter. Pinball is great no matter which machine you play. Except for maybe Vacation America,

He sold his RFM & will be getting a AFM probably in the next couple months.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

He sold his RFM & will be getting a AFM probably in the next couple months.

I had tried to edit this post before someone quoted me because it was not cool of me to do that. This is not a personal thing. I was just trying to be funny untill I realized that it wasn't.

#125 11 years ago

And, what another pinsider has is none of my business.

#126 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I am absolutely 100% serious. I know exactly what I am saying and I don't have to "listen to myself". I don't even have to respond to this further since Smassa already laid it out for you and you even acknowledged his points.

Quoted from mcclad:

My question RobT, is why do you own a RFM and not an AFM? Just thought I would bring that up to be a complete pain in the A$$. In all seriousness I belive that they shoot similar, and I do like both games and I am sure that you believe that Attack plays better. Thats cool.

Like I said earlier in the thread: one of the main reasons that I sold my RFM two days ago was because I am going to be bringing AFM back into my lineup, and the themes are obviously way too similar.

We will simply have to agree to disagree on whether or not these two pins shoot similar. I acknowledge that you think that they do. I strongly believe that they do not, and that they play *very* differently. The two pins have a very different feel to them in terms of the angles/geometry of the shots, speed, etc.

I agree with your last couple sentences though, it's all pinball and it's all good!

And thanks for reminding me that I need to update my collection status.

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I had tried to edit this post before someone quoted me because it was not cool of me to do that. This is not a personal thing. I was just trying to be funny untill I realized that it wasn't.

No worries, I did not take it as a personal slam at all.

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No worries, I did not take it as a personal slam at all.

I have a tendency to be sarcastic. And I am used to arguing about things that are not too important. If you met my wife, you would understand. Now that was a personal slam. : )

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I have a tendency to be sarcastic. And I am used to arguing about things that are not too important. If you met my wife, you would understand. Now that was a personal slam. : )

lol

#130 11 years ago

So AFM wins the popularity award and RFM takes best bang for the buck. They're both winners.

#131 11 years ago

Wow I have both machines and just spent an hour reading all this LOL. The only thing I have gained from this is I realized that i need to upgrade my RFM game code. I still have the original code in mine. No ball save etc. Can anyone explain how this needs to be done on this oddball machine???

Thanks,
Rob

PS. For what my opionion is worth after all this I think afm is a shooters game. More shots !!!! BUT Having both side by side looks great! I love all the artwork on both!

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Wow I have both machines and just spent an hour reading all this LOL. The only thing I have gained from this is I realized that i need to upgrade my RFM game code. I still have the original code in mine. No ball save etc. Can anyone explain how this needs to be done on this oddball machine???

Good thread to read:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-software-update-need-advice

Good page explaining update process (software version 1.2 linked is old):
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/dotcom/tech/pin2000/notes/update.html

#133 11 years ago

I want to like RFM more, but I still prefer the flow and gameplay of AFM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-vs-rfm-ultimate-alien-smackdown/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.