(Topic ID: 184343)

AFM vs MM vs Alien - What would you choose?

By Deadpin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Just strictly on *gameplay* value, if you could only have one, which would you choose?”

• Alien 93 votes
    38%
  • Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition) 85 votes
    34%
  • Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition) 70 votes
    28%

(248 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

candyland (resized).jpg
IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
alien fans (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
54761007 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

the only thing that makes me hesitate on that one is light on toys and heavy on video screens

I am not sure what you consider toys, but Aliens has a few pretty cool toys compared to MM and AFM

Aliens > 1 big toy > xeno head
AFM > 1 toy? > Martian ship (I dont really think of this as a toy since the ball never interacts with it
MM > 1 awesome toy > the interaction of the castle is probably 1 of the best toys ever

other toys?:
Aliens: face hugger slings, upper ramp lock mech
AFM: jumping martians
MM: Catapult

I guess when I think of feature of a game I think of the interaction feature.
Aliens: 4 flippers, 2 slings, magnet, xeno, drop bank, 3 ramps, 2 spinners, 2 diverter posts, airsleep lock, 3 pops, scoop, subway
AFM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, stand up dropping bank, 2 ramps martian ship, jumping aliens, scoop, vuk and diverter
MM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, catapult, Castle (really 3 things hear with drawbridge, moat kicker, and explosion), 2 ramps, scoop, ramp diverter

They are pretty comparable in 'toys'

Then I count unique shots form flippers
Aliens: 31 specific shots from 4 flippers
AFM:23 specific shots from 2 flippers
MM:18 specific shots from 2 flippers

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

If the overall layout sucks the specific shots mean nothing.

luckily, the layout is GREAT!

If you like the layout of other games being discussed, I am not sure how you dont like Aliens layout?

Aliens is basically 3 fan layouts laid on top of each other.

alien fans (resized).jpgalien fans (resized).jpg

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Since the machine is different than what most pinheads are into,

curious what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

From what I see (from playing a bunch myself, from watching others play, from the coin box, from asking friends for honest opinions) it is largely what pinheads are into. If I were to pick a few games that feel the most like Aliens from the classics, I would say AFM, TAF, and TS all combined.

I am a consummate player first and foremost and the game definitely has the "it" factor that I look for in a game and that keeps me coming back for more.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

but there is a reason we are still comparing a few select games from the 90's

I actually find it telling that Aliens is part of the same conversation with MM and AFM.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes, because the OP wanted to know what to buy.

pretty cool that Aliens leads by a margin. Happy to see people turning to support new awesome games rather than stuck in the 90s on the handful of classics

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

TS? How is that?

flow, stackable mode to MB, upper right flipper shot feel, required decision making on the fly

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

From what I understand of the game, won't the play field and side art be user changeable as new titles come out? This made me think of the Pinball 2000 concept and how that went from "it's absolutely the future of pinball" to not very liked by most. I haven't had a chance to play Alien, so I'm purely going on my speculation of the machine. Don't get me wrong, it looks AWESOME....but it doesn't remind me of traditional pinball; if theirs such a thing anymore. I meant no disrespect by my comment of the fans of the game, and I do hope it does amazingly. But from what I've seen, it's just not for me. I hope this explanation helps clear up what I was trying to mean.

I have owned both pin2k games before. Aliens should not even be mentioned in the same post frankly.

Pin 2k was "the future of pinball" because of the inverted mirror screen image. Nothing about the ability to turn RFM into SWEP1. That was a concept for route operators and failed along with the failure of SWEP1 being a dud (plus other things).

I guess I just dont even understand how you can possibly look at Full Throttle or Aliens as "not traditional pinball". I guess if by traditional pinball, you mean you dont like a cabinet that allows you to change in a different playfield/game... then yup not your definition of traditional.

Nothing wrong with you not liking it from your speculation or you putting so much of a machines worth to you based on tradition of cabinet, but most people tend to actually play a game before proclaiming it no pinball, lol.

edit: nevermind. Checked out your short history and guessing you are just looking for a silly conversation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 45.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-vs-mm-vs-alien-what-would-you-choose?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.