(Topic ID: 184343)

AFM vs MM vs Alien - What would you choose?

By Deadpin

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Just strictly on *gameplay* value, if you could only have one, which would you choose?”

• Alien 93 votes
    38%
  • Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition) 83 votes
    34%
  • Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition) 68 votes
    28%

(244 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

candyland (resized).jpg
IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
alien fans (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
54761007 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deadpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Strictly on the appeal of the toys and *gameplay* itself, if you could have just one of the following pins, which one would you pick?
I'm not looking for a diatribe about which company makes a better product, or which company owner keeps his promises blah blah blah.
I'm thinking of long term keeper on the value of replay and nothing else.
Just the toys and *gameplay*, with all other things equal - what would it be and why?

Alien
Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition)
Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition)

#6 2 years ago

Alien seems to be getting a lot of love in the forums... the only thing that makes me hesitate on that one is light on toys and heavy on video screens - maybe that's just my personal preference? Nothing to bash into, which can be a critical piece of the fun. Has great look to it though, definitely nails the mood for the selected theme...

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No bash toy on your TZ and you like that well enough probably?

True enough, although it has a lot of mechanical features that are fun. I suppose Alien may have that too. Not as easy to get a feel from the videos - not trying to bash it. Just seems for me it's sliding into video game territory in some respects - not that that is necessarily bad.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Don;t know if you've ever had the "pleasure" of buying NIB and waiting , sometimes very, long time for updates.

I have read the horror stories.... and I know that in some cases you will wait a long time.

#23 2 years ago

This is all great feedback and hits on gameplay and potential, which is exactly what I was looking for.... doesn't make my choices much easier though lol....

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

If you have owned any pin for a while they can get boring after years of play . Has op owned eaither mm or afm before? If not than both wld be great choices to have in a collection and wld be new to him? . Ive played afm more than any other game since ive got it and its still my my favorite . Got mm few months ago and its great also . Brand new pins are great also but still have alot of unknowns and things that need worked out.

To answer the question, I have not owned either title before. I have played both a number of times and enjoyed them quite a bit.
I currently have a TZ, and I play it daily. I doubt I will ever get to the point where i have completely mastered it - I simply am not that skilled of a pinball player - which is fine in my book, I want to keep the challenge going for a nice long while.

Couple of thoughts from my perspective -

- Not the best shot, so it will take a long while to wear out the challenge
- Haven't owned any of these games.
- Like the physical interaction with things on the playfield, it's a change from video games
- Want something the wifey will eventually approve of (TZ got her hooked)

I was particularly impressed with the look on the TBL, shame that is stalled where it is - the rug, the car, the sub field bowling alley - that looked like it would be a lot of fun.
Alien I am sure is as well - perhaps just in a different way?

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure what you consider toys, but Aliens has a few pretty cool toys compared to MM and AFM
Aliens > 1 big toy > xeno head
AFM > 1 toy? > Martian ship (I dont really think of this as a toy since the ball never interacts with it
MM > 1 awesome toy > the interaction of the castle is probably 1 of the best toys ever
other toys?:
Aliens: face hugger slings, upper ramp lock mech
AFM: jumping martians
MM: Catapult
I guess when I think of feature of a game I think of the interaction feature.
Aliens: 4 flippers, 2 slings, magnet, xeno, drop bank, 3 ramps, 2 spinners, 2 diverter posts, airsleep lock, 3 pops, scoop, subway
AFM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, stand up dropping bank, 2 ramps martian ship, jumping aliens, scoop, vuk and diverter
MM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, catapult, Castle (really 3 things hear with drawbridge, moat kicker, and explosion), 2 ramps, scoop, ramp diverter
They are pretty comparable in 'toys'
Then I count unique shots form flippers
Aliens: 31 specific shots from 4 flippers
AFM:23 specific shots from 2 flippers
MM:18 specific shots from 2 flippers

Maybe I need to look at the Alien videos again... lol

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are the flippers really shifted to the right of center on Alien? I've never noticed that until I looked at the pic above.

I think they're still centered on the table - it's the ball return that's off center...

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What about the Xenomorph head?

True, but is that the purpose of that toy? Can't say I've seen much video of it in action - but it is pretty cool to watch it eat the pinball in what I have seen.

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm obviously biased, but I can definitely tell you Alien is nothing like a video game.
..…
If I can figure out what else to let go of to make space ...

I know- have been watching the Alien thread, I love the theme and have seen your posts and involvement...
Part of my issue as well is space limitations- max is probably 3 pins, not really into the swap out concept for the Heighway machines- but I do understand the appeal

#130 2 years ago

Just dropped some coin reserving an AFMr LE with black trim!
Thanks for all the input folks!

#134 2 years ago

I know that Aliens is winning this poll, but what I do find interesting is that a pair of 20+ year old pins are taking a solid 60% of the vote. I wonder if it was a face off, 1 on 1 what the results would be. Also curious how much of this is the effect of both Alien and AFMR being "hot" right now....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 9.10
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Berkeley Heights, NJ
$ 26.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 135.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Sale Pending!
Nanuet, NY
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 2,000.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deadpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside