(Topic ID: 184343)

AFM vs MM vs Alien - What would you choose?

By Deadpin

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Just strictly on *gameplay* value, if you could only have one, which would you choose?”

• Alien 93 votes
    38%
  • Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition) 83 votes
    34%
  • Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition) 68 votes
    28%

(244 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

candyland (resized).jpg
IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
alien fans (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
54761007 (resized).jpg

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

What % of the time do you actually complete the modes on Shadow on default settings? What % of the time that you start Shadow MB do you actually get the Super Jackpot? And you answered my question about how difficult Final Battle is to complete.
Alien it is easy to start modes and progress towards the mini-wizard modes. If you watched the DeadFlip Alien stream I made it to one of the mini wizard mode on my first game. What's difficult is completing modes and actually doing well once you get to the wizard modes and unlocking the game's potential.
Now compare all this to a game like MM which hands out Super Jackpots like candy. AFM roving Super isn't that difficult either. Probably helps that they are 2 flipper games with a familiar fan layout and easy shots.

Depends on the mode...but certainly I don't remember them being more difficult than other games. Shadow multiball SJ is tough. I haven't owned the game in ages, so it's hard to remember success rates. Mode hole is toughest shot on the game though. Khan hole is easy. Loop left and hold upper right flipper up for success every time. Double and triple those JPs!

To compare to MM: I've reached BFTK maybe 5 times. Beat it twice.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Dance Dance Revolution?

candyland (resized).jpg

As for Shadow, if you think it's easy you're a better player than I am.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Depends on the mode...but certainly I don't remember them being more difficult than other games. Shadow multiball SJ is tough. I haven't owned the game in ages, so it's hard to remember success rates. Mode hole is toughest shot on the game though. Khan hole is easy. Loop left and hold upper right flipper up for success every time. Double and triple those JPs!
To compare to MM: I've reached BFTK maybe 5 times. Beat it twice.

I've owned 2 Shadows and the "hold UR flipper to Kahn hole" trick didn't work on either of them. And I always put new rebuild kits in my games and line them up correctly. I could see the game being a bit easier if that's the case! The default mode timer of 30 seconds is also too short especially since most modes require you to hit the hardest shot on the field (mode start) to complete them. You basically have to hit all your shots perfectly to complete your modes in the allotted time. As far as mode based pins go I still think it's one of the toughest. Luckily you don't have to complete them to advance towards "Final Battle". Shadow mode completion % is still probably a bit higher than Alien but both games have far tougher than average modes.

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I've owned 2 Shadows and the "hold UR flipper to Kahn hole" trick didn't work on either of them. And I always put new rebuild kits in my games and line them up correctly. I could see the game being a bit easier if that's the case! The default mode timer of 30 seconds is also too short especially since most modes require you to hit the hardest shot on the field (mode start) to complete them. You basically have to hit all your shots perfectly to complete your modes in the allotted time. As far as mode based pins go I still think it's one of the toughest. Luckily you don't have to complete them to advance towards "Final Battle". Shadow mode completion % is still probably a bit higher than Alien but both games have far tougher than average modes.

Those games were set up wrong then. By design that should happen (left loop to raised upper flipper to side hole). 3 of the 6 modes require the mode start shot to end it, which IS difficult. Farley, Hotel Monolith, and Duel of Wills do not. Either way, there is no requirement to complete them to advance to Final Battle. I can think of much tougher modes to complete on other games.

#105 2 years ago

Pitch can change the Kahn shot

#106 2 years ago

My Shadow kicks my butt like no other pin. True, you just have to start modes and not finish to make it to the Final Battle. I have done that a few times. It's still a really tough game. Every shot has a high risk of drain and nothing is easy to finish. Just starting a mode is a really tough shot. That's why I prefer games like AFMr. Much more forgiving and easy to accomplish the basics while still hard to finish. There will always be great new games like Alien but nothing can take away what makes great classics great. That's why I am more attracted to AFMr right now. I know it is a great game. Alien is still an unknown until I can at least play it a few times.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

My Shadow kicks my butt like no other pin. True, you just have to start modes and not finish to make it to the Final Battle. I have done that a few times. It's still a really tough game. Every shot has a high risk of drain and nothing is easy to finish. Just starting a mode is a really tough shot. That's why I prefer games like AFMr. Much more forgiving and easy to accomplish the basics while still hard to finish. There will always be great new games like Alien but nothing can take away what makes great classics great. That's why I am more attracted to AFMr right now. I know it is a great game. Alien is still an unknown until I can at least play it a few times.

The Khan hole starts modes too...just saying.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those games were set up wrong then. By design that should happen (left loop to raised upper flipper to side hole). 3 of the 6 modes require the mode start shot to end it, which IS difficult. Farley, Hotel Monolith, and Duel of Wills do not. Either way, there is no requirement to complete them to advance to Final Battle. I can think of much tougher modes to complete on other games.

Pretty sure that's not by design. Probably a game with worn flipper Mechs and coil stops. I can pretty much guarantee if you rebuild that flipper and pitch the game above 6.5 it will always hit below the Kahn hole on a held flipper. My game is pitched as high as it can go. I can see why you think the game is easy if you can hit the Kahn shot "on demand" like that. Plus it makes it easy to start modes and get Kahn Super jackpots.

Yes there are games with harder modes than Shadow. Witch King on LOTR comes to mind. But as a whole I think Shadows modes are among the toughest as an overall package. Monolith and Farley are the easiest since you don't need to hit the mode start shot to end them and Dual of Will's is a video mode. If anyone is finishing the other 3 modes more than 25% of the time than color me impressed!

#109 2 years ago

If you play with a Khan gimme it would be much easier to go through the modes. Something tells me pimp 77 is better than he says. Shadow is one of the harder WPC pins imo with or without the gimme.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Something tells me pimp 77 is better than he says.

Not if he's only finished Final Battle once with a gimmie gobble hole

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those games were set up wrong then. By design that should happen (left loop to raised upper flipper to side hole).

How do you know this is the design?

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not if he's only finished Final Battle once with a gimmie gobble hole

Exactly...I'm very average. Maybe even below average. LOL, those mini pf switches were my downfall in Final Battle almost every time. I do usually get to the final wizard modes on games I own: exceptions are Valinor (though I got close), TSPP's SDMEwhatever (never came close to sniffing it), WOZ SOTR (not really close, 5/8 emeralds), IM DoD Multiball (impossible).

Quoted from jonesjb:

How do you know this is the design?

Was told by a bigger pinhead than I am. I suppose we could be wrong.

*shrug* Either way TS is still the one game I got rid of that I would like back someday. It's a fantastic game. If Alien is any way like TS, that's a good thing!!!

#113 2 years ago
#114 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I knew Street Fighter would be in there.

Two! Alpha 2 and Third Strike both in that photo.

#115 2 years ago

I'm wet behind the ears for AFMr

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
From what I see (from playing a bunch myself, from watching others play, from the coin box, from asking friends for honest opinions) it is largely what pinheads are into. If I were to pick a few games that feel the most like Aliens from the classics, I would say AFM, TAF, and TS all combined.
I am a consummate player first and foremost and the game definitely has the "it" factor that I look for in a game and that keeps me coming back for more.

From what I understand of the game, won't the play field and side art be user changeable as new titles come out? This made me think of the Pinball 2000 concept and how that went from "it's absolutely the future of pinball" to not very liked by most. I haven't had a chance to play Alien, so I'm purely going on my speculation of the machine. Don't get me wrong, it looks AWESOME....but it doesn't remind me of traditional pinball; if theirs such a thing anymore. I meant no disrespect by my comment of the fans of the game, and I do hope it does amazingly. But from what I've seen, it's just not for me. I hope this explanation helps clear up what I was trying to mean.

#117 2 years ago

I have never owned a shadow that you could hit the Khan hole by just holding up the flipper. I've owned 3 of them. Also played them at peoples houses many times, and also doesn't work. If you are. You have the wrong plunger/stop configuration or you have the flipper set out to far. It is not suppose to just fall in that easy, it's suppose to be a shot that takes some skill to enter.

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The Khan hole starts modes too...just saying.

About the only way I can start a mode is if it bounces in the Khan hole randomly. Funny thing is that I seem to hit the Khan shot frequently when in a mode. 2M points hooray! The most frustrating thing is that when I finally do land a good shot to start a mode the ball often pops out of the saucer and dribbles back down. Same thing happens on the battlefield. Super hard to get a shot to stick. Game just punishes you so bad.

#119 2 years ago

Hmm...mine lands in the Khan hole if I hold the flipper. I guess I never really considered that wasn't supposed to happen. Flipper seems fine, but my game is set to 7.25.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Hmm...mine lands in the Khan hole if I hold the flipper. I guess I never really considered that wasn't supposed to happen. Flipper seems fine, but my game is set to 7.25.

Nobody can prove that's NOT how it was designed. I've played 3 different ones and they all did that.

#121 2 years ago

Yeah, I have zero idea. Mine always did it and I didn't think there was anything wrong. I suck at pinball, so we'll just call it a bonus. Helps me actually have a shot to reach the final battle. I'm one of those that thinks TS is a decently challenging game, especially the modes. Props to those out their good enough to beat them.

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

I haven't had a chance to play Alien, so I'm purely going on my speculation of the machine. Don't get me wrong, it looks AWESOME....but it doesn't remind me of traditional pinball; if theirs such a thing anymore.

Why?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. It has absolutely zilch to do with Pinball 2000. There nothing about it that isn't like a normal pinball when it comes to playing, so what exactly makes you feel like it's not traditional? There's not even a video mode, it's pure flippers and shots, so I don't get it.

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

From what I understand of the game, won't the play field and side art be user changeable as new titles come out? This made me think of the Pinball 2000 concept and how that went from "it's absolutely the future of pinball" to not very liked by most. I haven't had a chance to play Alien, so I'm purely going on my speculation of the machine. Don't get me wrong, it looks AWESOME....but it doesn't remind me of traditional pinball; if theirs such a thing anymore. I meant no disrespect by my comment of the fans of the game, and I do hope it does amazingly. But from what I've seen, it's just not for me. I hope this explanation helps clear up what I was trying to mean.

I have owned both pin2k games before. Aliens should not even be mentioned in the same post frankly.

Pin 2k was "the future of pinball" because of the inverted mirror screen image. Nothing about the ability to turn RFM into SWEP1. That was a concept for route operators and failed along with the failure of SWEP1 being a dud (plus other things).

I guess I just dont even understand how you can possibly look at Full Throttle or Aliens as "not traditional pinball". I guess if by traditional pinball, you mean you dont like a cabinet that allows you to change in a different playfield/game... then yup not your definition of traditional.

Nothing wrong with you not liking it from your speculation or you putting so much of a machines worth to you based on tradition of cabinet, but most people tend to actually play a game before proclaiming it no pinball, lol.

edit: nevermind. Checked out your short history and guessing you are just looking for a silly conversation.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why?
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. It has absolutely zilch to do with Pinball 2000. There nothing about it that isn't like a normal pinball when it comes to playing, so what exactly makes you feel like it's not traditional? There's not even a video mode, it's pure flippers and shots, so I don't get it.

I guess if you want to be argumentative you could say it's not traditional in that it's not just a one trick pony. Sure the game play is 100% traditional, and the layout is 100% traditional, and the feel is 100% traditional, and.....

#125 2 years ago

Sorry to have stirred the pot, wasn't my intention. I have my opinion and everyone else has theirs. That's the beauty of healthy discussion. Let's just leave it at being happy to have options to everyone's respective taste.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

Sorry to have stirred the pot, wasn't my intention. I have my opinion and everyone else has theirs. That's the beauty of healthy discussion. Let's just leave it at being happy to have options to everyone's respective taste.

It's fine, I'm not offended. Hell, I don't care if you don't like it or think it's ugly or whatever, it's all good. I just don't get your comment, because nothing about the game is "untraditional" unless you're not a fan of high rez LCD stuff, and feel the same way about WOZ, Hobbit, Batman 66, Aerosmith, etc.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nobody can prove that's NOT how it was designed. I've played 3 different ones and they all did that.

it's a cheat. If it's setup like that, someone altered it. I've played the game when it was new from the factory, and none of them did that.

If you are going to make games that easy, might as well go and add superbands to your game if you want a crutch.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's fine, I'm not offended. Hell, I don't care if you don't like it or think it's ugly or whatever, it's all good. I just don't get your comment, because nothing about the game is "untraditional" unless you're not a fan of high rez LCD stuff, and feel the same way about WOZ, Hobbit, Batman 66, Aerosmith, etc.

The only thing non-traditional is the weird backbox and frame around the pf glass. The game itself is pure Pinball!

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's a cheat. If it's setup like that, someone altered it. I've played the game when it was new from the factory, and none of them did that.
If you are going to make games that easy, might as well go and add superbands to your game if you want a crutch.

LOL, well...we're on the same page with superbands! I hate those grippy things!

#130 2 years ago

Just dropped some coin reserving an AFMr LE with black trim!
Thanks for all the input folks!

#131 2 years ago

Aliens by far.

#132 2 years ago

For me, the decision was Alien LE.

Then that stupid AFMr showed up at TPF.

Now, I have deposits on both Alien LE (in black) and AFMr LE (in green).

Looks like it's time to move a few machines out, to make space, and free up some funds.

Pinball!!!

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from SuS:

Now, I have deposits on both Alien LE (in black) and AFMr LE (in green).
Looks like it's time to move a few machines out, to make space, and free up some funds.

You just described me exactly 100%.

#134 2 years ago

I know that Aliens is winning this poll, but what I do find interesting is that a pair of 20+ year old pins are taking a solid 60% of the vote. I wonder if it was a face off, 1 on 1 what the results would be. Also curious how much of this is the effect of both Alien and AFMR being "hot" right now....

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

I know that Aliens is winning this poll, but what I do find interesting is that a pair of 20+ year old pins are taking a solid 60% of the vote. I wonder if it was a face off, 1 on 1 what the results would be. Also curious how much of this is the effect of both Alien and AFMR being "hot" right now....

mostly because most that are voting have not even played Alien. But mostly everyone has played the other 2 extensively, since they are everywhere in peoples collection. Lots of collection votes going out. If it was limited to only those that played all 3, the numbers would be a lot different i'm sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Platteville, WI
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 89.99
7,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Des Moines, IA
$ 269.00
Lighting - Led
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 2,000.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside