(Topic ID: 184343)

AFM vs MM vs Alien - What would you choose?

By Deadpin

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Just strictly on *gameplay* value, if you could only have one, which would you choose?”

• Alien 93 votes
    38%
  • Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition) 83 votes
    34%
  • Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition) 68 votes
    28%

(244 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

candyland (resized).jpg
IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
alien fans (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
54761007 (resized).jpg

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

That's a proto aliens, the magnet above the upper right flipper is gone isn't it? I remember a stand-up target there now.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are the flippers really shifted to the right of center on Alien? I've never noticed that until I looked at the pic above.

I think they're still centered on the table - it's the ball return that's off center...

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

I think they're still centered on the table - it's the ball return that's off center...

Ok, yeah they do look centered. The apron design is what is off center. Looks weird.

#54 2 years ago

Was reviewing Alien's non-Italian bottom while at work and didn't notice anything unusual.

IMG_1078 (resized).JPG

#55 2 years ago

AFM. Most games will have a hard time comparing favorably to an all time classic like this.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

luckily, the layout is GREAT!
If you like the layout of other games being discussed, I am not sure how you dont like Aliens layout?
Aliens is basically 3 fan layouts laid on top of each other.

I haven't played Alien yet, so it is hard to judge by only watching youtube (first 2 HD clips under "pinball alien"). It seems a bit awkward, DI has nicer flow to it. But again, I might change my mind once I actually get a hold of Alien. Watching youtube and playing yourself are 2 different worlds in my opinion. Of course everybody has different personal preferences as to what makes an awesome pinball machine.
Personally I care less about super deep rules and more about ball movement and cool shots.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

To answer the question, I have not owned either title before. I have played both a number of times and enjoyed them quite a bit.
I currently have a TZ, and I play it daily. I doubt I will ever get to the point where i have completely mastered it - I simply am not that skilled of a pinball player - which is fine in my book, I want to keep the challenge going for a nice long while.
Couple of thoughts from my perspective -
- Not the best shot, so it will take a long while to wear out the challenge
- Haven't owned any of these games.
- Like the physical interaction with things on the playfield, it's a change from video games
- Want something the wifey will eventually approve of (TZ got her hooked)
I was particularly impressed with the look on the TBL, shame that is stalled where it is - the rug, the car, the sub field bowling alley - that looked like it would be a lot of fun.
Alien I am sure is as well - perhaps just in a different way?

I have a tz and have had it a fairly long time . Its fun with alot to do but it plays way different than fan layout games. I personally like fan layouts better and afm is one the best at it. I think alien will be similar to tz with the widebody, 4 flippers and the way the modes work. Try and go somewhere and put some time in on afm or mm and i think u will enjoy the difference between the way they play compared to tz. Having 2 totally different style pins im a collection will help things not get stale as fast. Good luck

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

MM and AFM are both classics that have stood the test of time. With that being said they are both 20+ years old and I've played the crap out of them over the years and I'm kind of over them. Plus everyone seems to own them so they aren't hard to find if you want to play one. My choice is Alien just because it's new and shows a ton of promise. Love the layout and the theme integration is top notch.

There is something to be said for that. More collectors have the same top-10 games in their collection. I pass on playing MM and AFM often because I know I'm going to have many other chances to play them. I wouldn't pass on a chance to play Alien. Having said that, I'm new enough to the hobby that I'd still love to add one of the super popular fan layouts to my collection: MM, AFM, or MB. On any given day, I could make an argument why one of them was the best choice.

**Monster Bash**
I know this wasn't in the discussion; but it's another that is often compared with AFM and MM. I'm quite confident this would be the most popular game for my family and friends. Every shot just feels integrated into the theme.

**Attack From Mars**
In terms of rules and coding this is my favorite, but I prefer the toys and theme of MM. I think this could end up being the one to keep my interested for the longest time.

**Medieval Madness**
Seems to strike a balance between MB and AFM in terms of difficulty. The castle is a super cool toy. Also, I don't think it was mentioned above, but the trolls and damsel lock are a pretty cool secondary toys/features. This was also the machine that introduced me to pinball, so there I have fond memories playing it in Middle School.

I know that doesn't really help. If you are serious about owning one it might come down to what other machines you have access to. If you have the ability to play the others regularly, it would be hard to fault you for choosing Alien. Right now, I'd choose a MM; but in my position if any of them came up for a good price that would be the real deciding factor. I really am quite happy with my collection currently, but in a dream world, I'd swap out MM, MB, or AFM for my JP and fill my final spot with a newer game. I'm on the waiting list for a Spooky title; but it's going to take a lot of luck to make that a reality. I'll have to go work for Charlie part time.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are the flippers really shifted to the right of center on Alien? I've never noticed that until I looked at the pic above.

No , it's just the apron shifted to the left in relation to the shooter lane...

#60 2 years ago

I like alien better than MM and sure the hell better than AFM.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I like alien better than MM and sure the hell better than AFM.

Well, then, for Christmas I'm going to get you an AFM with a sheet of PDI glass on it.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, then, for Christmas I'm going to get you an AFM with a sheet of PDI glass on it.

How do I get on that gift list?

Never mind boob....I'm sure whatever it is I'm not willing to do it.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm...that is odd.

Like your RBION? Although that's too the left.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Like your RBION? Although that's too the left.

*to the left.

Well yes, apparently so. Weird.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

*to the left.
Well yes, apparently so. Weird.

Extra keystroke...but anyway check a few of PL's games...Whirlwind, TAF, FGY...

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

No. Look more closely.

The lower flippers are dead center of the playfield.

The apron is offset because it does not cover the full width of the playfield - the shooter lane is on the right.

RM

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

that would be awesome. That's great trade bait for a good game.

#68 2 years ago

I have updated my choice to Alien Attack Madness.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have updated my choice to Alien Attack Madness.

That'll be $28,000 please.

EDIT (Shipping not included)

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That'll be $28,000 please.

Ugh... How much for the Medieval Alien Attack then?

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ugh... How much for the Medieval Alien Attack then?

Uff dude that's the LE so gonna be a little more. It has twin 27" LCDs on the bottom of the cab

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Just seems for me it's sliding into video game territory in some respects - not that that is necessarily bad.

I'm obviously biased, but I can definitely tell you Alien is nothing like a video game. It's a pinball that has some LCD screens, but so does every other modern pin (including AFMr and MMr for that matter) now. Other than that nothing video game like it at all. No video mode even.

I voted for Alien (hey, said I was biased) and I do think supporting new pins is more important in the big picture. But that said I'm watching the AFMr price curiously, it's possible I'd trade out my ACDC Prem to get one myself. Just would be next to Alien not instead. If I can figure out what else to let go of to make space ...

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm obviously biased, but I can definitely tell you Alien is nothing like a video game. It's a pinball that has some LCD screens, but so does every other modern pin (including AFMr and MMr for that matter) now. Other than that nothing video game like it at all. No video mode even.
I voted for Alien (hey, said I was biased) and I do think supporting new pins is more important in the big picture. But that said I'm watching the AFMr price curiously, it's possible I'd trade out my ACDC Prem to get one myself. Just would be next to Alien not instead. If I can figure out what else to let go of to make space ...

I think AC/DC for AFMr would be a nice trade. I'm toying with the idea of selling something myself to get into an AFMr and park it next to my Alien.... but can't decide if I'm willing to let anything go (small collection).

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Nothing to bash into, which can be a critical piece of the fun. Has great look to it though, definitely nails the mood for the selected theme...

What about the Xenomorph head?

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

You can shoot at the Xenomorph head (and hit the two targets in front of it) and it makes screechy noises every time.....but I really wouldn't call it a "bash" toy. Then again I am not a big fan of bash toys like Wolverine on X-Men or The Walker on TWD.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

True, but is that the purpose of that toy? Can't say I've seen much video of it in action - but it is pretty cool to watch it eat the pinball in what I have seen.

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm obviously biased, but I can definitely tell you Alien is nothing like a video game.
..…
If I can figure out what else to let go of to make space ...

I know- have been watching the Alien thread, I love the theme and have seen your posts and involvement...
Part of my issue as well is space limitations- max is probably 3 pins, not really into the swap out concept for the Heighway machines- but I do understand the appeal

#77 2 years ago

Space is always the bitch. I used to have 11 pins, downsized to 5, and that's my max now, because rest of my space is filled with my other arcade hobby. So something always has to go to get something new in.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Space is always the bitch. I used to have 11 pins, downsized to 5, and that's my max now, because rest of my space is filled with my other arcade hobby. So something always has to go to get something new in.

I see what you did there. "Space." "Bitch." All key words from Alien. You're still subliminally advertising the game in your posts.

Sly devil, you.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

True, but is that the purpose of that toy? Can't say I've seen much video of it in action - but it is pretty cool to watch it eat the pinball in what I have seen.

The Xeno is used for lots of things, but yes, it's a bash toy in the sense that you hit it a few times to start Ambush Multiball. I wanted to make sure that if novice/casual players didn't learn the rules of the game, they could still make something fun happen by bashing the huge Alien head in the middle of the playfield, which (I hope!) is a pretty intuitive thing for anyone.

#80 2 years ago

I voted MM. After having had the opportunity to play AFM and MM next to each other for a good amount of time, I had way much more fun with MM. I feel that AFM is very bland, and not much to do. For the money that the AFMr is going to cost, I'd purchase a SMVE which is very similar to AFM and have money leftover to also get a ST Premium.

As for Alien, it looks cool...but I'm not a fan of the theme. I'm also worried that as soon as people start getting them, the complaining will begin. Since the machine is different than what most pinheads are into, once the "cool factor" wears off, I see hate/flame threads in the future.

It's your money and ultimately your decision, but I'd recommend going to an arcade that has AFM and MM and put some serious play time into each, and see what game makes you happier. Best of luck with your decision.

#81 2 years ago

I seems to be early to get a fair answer as Alien is not yet released.
However it would be hard to lead the pinside ranking.

MM is my choice vs AFM, not a bad game at all but you know some day I really want to remove the alien coils (ca me gave!)

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

Since the machine is different than what most pinheads are into,

curious what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

From what I see (from playing a bunch myself, from watching others play, from the coin box, from asking friends for honest opinions) it is largely what pinheads are into. If I were to pick a few games that feel the most like Aliens from the classics, I would say AFM, TAF, and TS all combined.

I am a consummate player first and foremost and the game definitely has the "it" factor that I look for in a game and that keeps me coming back for more.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

I'm also worried that as soon as people start getting them, the complaining will begin. Since the machine is different than what most pinheads are into, once the "cool factor" wears off, I see hate/flame threads in the future.

??? What does this even mean? It's out there people are playing it and it looks and plays like an awesome pinball machine. How is it "different" exactly?

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If I were to pick a few games that feel the most like Aliens from the classics, I would say AFM, TAF, and TS all combined.

Agreed, and I think that Alien will a versatile mix of flow (with the ramps that feed each other, multiple loops and orbits) AND stop and go, with the two upper flippers that feed numerous shots. The "difference" we're seeing here is accompanied by numerous shots which is I why I think it'll be a winner.

What I think nintenbear was alluding to was some of the older Sega/Gottleib/Premier games which are different (but boring after a while, often due to few shots and basic scoring) Hollywood Heat, Bone Busters, Class of 1812, etc.

#85 2 years ago

Attack from Mars is my favorite, though MM is a really good as well (I go back and forth between them as favorites) I have only played alien at expo for a short while, it's cool. Though I have seen several games claim to compare to the likes of MM and AFM just to fall down the charts as the hype fades. The test of time is the only way to know for sure. They certainly did good with Alien, but there is a reason we are still comparing a few select games from the 90's.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

but there is a reason we are still comparing a few select games from the 90's

I actually find it telling that Aliens is part of the same conversation with MM and AFM.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I actually find it telling that Aliens is part of the same conversation with MM and AFM.

Yes, because the OP wanted to know what to buy.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes, because the OP wanted to know what to buy.

pretty cool that Aliens leads by a margin. Happy to see people turning to support new awesome games rather than stuck in the 90s on the handful of classics

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty cool that Aliens leads by a margin. Happy to see people turning to support new awesome games rather than stuck in the 90s on the handful of classics

I don't mind the remakes. I would love to own a AFM but I'm not the best restorer by any regards so if I can purchase a new one for cheaper or the same price as a used AFM then I'm in

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I support both (as evidenced by my continued stupidity with preorders). But I was asked to choose one...

#91 2 years ago

I think you might have opposite result if you had posted something like Dialed In, Aliens, and Medieval Madness. I'd be surprised if Medieval Madness wouldn't win that poll, since Dialed In and Aliens will likely split votes, despite being far less similar than Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars. I like them all, so choose whatever you like the most.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
From what I see (from playing a bunch myself, from watching others play, from the coin box, from asking friends for honest opinions) it is largely what pinheads are into. If I were to pick a few games that feel the most like Aliens from the classics, I would say AFM, TAF, and TS all combined.
I am a consummate player first and foremost and the game definitely has the "it" factor that I look for in a game and that keeps me coming back for more.

TS? How is that?

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

TS? How is that?

flow, stackable mode to MB, upper right flipper shot feel, required decision making on the fly

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

flow, stackable mode to MB, upper right flipper shot feel, required decision making on the fly

Plus modes with tasks outside of modes to get wizard mode and speed.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I'd also add that Shadow's modes are tough to complete (much like Alien) but completion isn't necessarily required to progress to the wizard mode. I also think that both games are rather difficult and make you really work for everything you accomplish. ie. getting the Super jackpot in either Shadow or Kahn multiball is no picnic. Even starting multiball in Alien isn't easy. I don't think either game is especially newbie friendly. They are what I'd consider "players" pins.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

They are what I'd consider "players" pins.

Since I'm waiting for an Alien that statement makes me very happy.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'd also add that Shadow's modes are tough to complete (much like Alien) but completion isn't necessarily required to progress to the wizard mode. I also think that both games are rather difficult and make you really work for everything you accomplish. ie. getting the Super jackpot in either Shadow or Kahn multiball is no picnic. Even starting multiball in Alien isn't easy. I don't think either game is especially newbie friendly. They are what I'd consider "players" pins.

I'd say TS is on the easier side of the spectrum as far as difficulty to be honest. I'm not a great player and have seen Final Battle around a dozen times. Beat it once, LOL.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

that's my max now, because rest of my space is filled with my other arcade hobby.

Dance Dance Revolution?

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'd say TS is on the easier side of the spectrum as far as difficulty to be honest. I'm not a great player and have seen Final Battle around a dozen times. Beat it once, LOL.

What % of the time do you actually complete the modes on Shadow on default settings? What % of the time that you start Shadow MB do you actually get the Super Jackpot? And you answered my question about how difficult Final Battle is to complete.

Alien it is easy to start modes and progress towards the mini-wizard modes. If you watched the DeadFlip Alien stream I made it to one of the mini wizard mode on my first game. What's difficult is completing modes and actually doing well once you get to the wizard modes and unlocking the game's potential.

Now compare all this to a game like MM which hands out Super Jackpots like candy. AFM roving Super isn't that difficult either. Probably helps that they are 2 flipper games with a familiar fan layout and easy shots.

#100 2 years ago

Given the choice to receive any of those 3 games for free (I'm not buying any of them), my wife would kill me if I didn't get MM. I'd be completely satisfied with it also. I'd have to play Alien for a bit first because it doesn't look to be super fun to play compared to MM and AFM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside