(Topic ID: 184343)

AFM vs MM vs Alien - What would you choose?

By Deadpin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Just strictly on *gameplay* value, if you could only have one, which would you choose?”

• Alien 93 votes
    38%
  • Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition) 85 votes
    34%
  • Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition) 70 votes
    28%

(248 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

candyland (resized).jpg
IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
alien fans (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
54761007 (resized).jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Strictly on the appeal of the toys and *gameplay* itself, if you could have just one of the following pins, which one would you pick?
I'm not looking for a diatribe about which company makes a better product, or which company owner keeps his promises blah blah blah.
I'm thinking of long term keeper on the value of replay and nothing else.
Just the toys and *gameplay*, with all other things equal - what would it be and why?

Alien
Attack from Mars (either original or remake any edition)
Medieval Madness (either original or remake any edition)

#2 7 years ago

Lexy lightspeed escape from earth

#3 7 years ago

AFM

MM is a close second, but I don't think it has the replayability of AFM, which is pinball perfection, IMO.

Alien is too new to judge against these two, but chances are, while it's a great game, it's not in the same league.

#4 7 years ago

I haven't played Alien yet, so I offer this suggestion with a bit of reservation, but I say Attack From Mars. I think it's better than MM, and as good as Alien might be, it's going to be real tough for it to run down AFM.

#5 7 years ago

AFM > MM, but I'd choose Alien as it'll have better code and a more unique layout

#6 7 years ago

Alien seems to be getting a lot of love in the forums... the only thing that makes me hesitate on that one is light on toys and heavy on video screens - maybe that's just my personal preference? Nothing to bash into, which can be a critical piece of the fun. Has great look to it though, definitely nails the mood for the selected theme...

#7 7 years ago

None of the three. I only use my valuable space for games that would actually get played.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Nothing to bash into, which can be a critical piece of the fun.

No bash toy on your TZ and you like that well enough probably?

Anyway, AFM>MM>Alien just for me in my current state. Wait time might be awHile for Alien I'm not sure, looks fun though.
Don;t know if you've ever had the "pleasure" of buying NIB and waiting , sometimes very, long time for updates.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No bash toy on your TZ and you like that well enough probably?

True enough, although it has a lot of mechanical features that are fun. I suppose Alien may have that too. Not as easy to get a feel from the videos - not trying to bash it. Just seems for me it's sliding into video game territory in some respects - not that that is necessarily bad.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Don;t know if you've ever had the "pleasure" of buying NIB and waiting , sometimes very, long time for updates.

I have read the horror stories.... and I know that in some cases you will wait a long time.

#10 7 years ago

I vote alien

#11 7 years ago

MM -> AFM -> Alien

Alien still needs to prove itself - more time on it, more use in tournaments, etc.
MM and AFM are both great, but IMO MM is more fun -> better toys, better risk reward and better modes.

#12 7 years ago

It's just very unlikely that Aliens is more fun than either AFM or MM. However, it would at least be something different. In a small collection, Id go with a known.

#13 7 years ago

Ignoring which pin is best - and using a criteria of cool toys and having a fun experience, Brian Eddy's games never fail to deliver. I'd say : (AFM > Shadow > MM) > Alien.

#14 7 years ago

I'd definitely give Alien a year or two before considering it, let alone comparing to available pins. Alien is over hyped at this time and especially for still being pre-production and from a newer manufacturer. LE artwork hasn't even been released. It will be a year or two (and the associated slow roll-out, problems, fixes, refinements and finally reasonably-immediate availability) and at that point one can observe it impartially for what it is. Not even part of the thread conversation imo as it is a ways off time-wise.

MMR > AFMR for me at this time (and made the decision with a recent buy). Both are known as great games. Though interestingly for me, I have no real memories of any game play on the originals so they are literally new games to me.

When comparing pin preferences, previous experience is an input often forgotten. Some people have played enough MM / MMR and/or AFM / AFMR to not want to add one their collection any longer. Without accounting for the difference in playing history it is hard to put much merit in these pin comparison threads.

It was my understanding that AFMR will be available in a few months. It "should be" a lot faster than MMR production, though that could change.

Frankly, I'd be in no rush to buy a new pin early (and especially an all-new pin). Get in for a later production unit and issues will be fixed plus refinements made.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

the only thing that makes me hesitate on that one is light on toys and heavy on video screens

If you look at AFM, it's not exactly filled with toys in comparison to Alien. You have the mother ship that shakes and bouncy aliens....I'm counting interactive toys only. It does have the smaller flasher ships that are non-interactive. Alien has an alien that eats the balls, which is the only technically interactive toy and then the sling facehuggers, popper eggs, rotating beacons, and mini lcd in the non-interactive category. I won't count the playfield and backbox lcd since you mentioned there are too many screens. So close on interactive toys with alien having far more non-interactive toys. Alien will probably have much deeper code like most modern games. It likely already does.

I could get both honestly. It just depends on pricing for AFMR.

#16 7 years ago

I'm in on Alien,
#1 it's new
#2 it's packed with shots
#3 from the looks of it they've got something really special going with visuals, modes, sounds and theme integration.
Added bonus: it looks like Alien will be the least expensive of the three.

#17 7 years ago

"I'm thinking of long term keeper on the value of replay and nothing else."

- Think WOZ, Dialed In or if it ever gets built, Total Annihilation.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

None of the three. I only use my valuable space for games that would actually get played.

So helpful. As always.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If you look at AFM, it's not exactly filled with toys in comparison to Alien. You have the mother ship that shakes and bouncy aliens....I'm counting interactive toys only. It does have the smaller flasher ships that are non-interactive. Alien has an alien that eats the balls, which is the only technically interactive toy and then the sling facehuggers, popper eggs, rotating beacons, and mini lcd in the non-interactive category. I won't count the playfield and backbox lcd since you mentioned there are too many screens. So close on interactive toys with alien having far more non-interactive toys. Alien will probably have much deeper code like most modern games. It likely already does.
I could get both honestly. It just depends on pricing for AFMR.

AFM also has strobe multiball, which is one of the best features on the game. Granted it is a multiball mode, but it is triggered during play so it is like a toy. And a cool one at that.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

So helpful. As always.

54761007 (resized).jpg54761007 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

MM and AFM are both classics that have stood the test of time. With that being said they are both 20+ years old and I've played the crap out of them over the years and I'm kind of over them. Plus everyone seems to own them so they aren't hard to find if you want to play one. My choice is Alien just because it's new and shows a ton of promise. Love the layout and the theme integration is top notch.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

AFM also has strobe multiball, which is one of the best features on the game. Granted it is a multiball mode, but it is triggered during play so it is like a toy. And a cool one at that.

That's not really an interactive toy in my book (its really just some flashers). If so then we have to possibly include the lit ramps (once they are finished and depending on how they are implemented) and the beacons on alien.

#23 7 years ago

This is all great feedback and hits on gameplay and potential, which is exactly what I was looking for.... doesn't make my choices much easier though lol....

#24 7 years ago

"I'm thinking of long term keeper on the value of replay and nothing else."

That statement above makes me say Alien. Alien is going to have 15+ objective based modes in it that work the entire playfield. Both AFM and MM are awesome games but the main modes on both are all about hitting the same shot 5x, then 10x, then 15x, etc. AFM and MM gameplay is fun but I'm not sure if the rulesets for both would keep me interested after a year. I think that MM has the deeper and more engaging ruleset compared to AFM.

From the videos I've seen of Alien I can tell it's a game where the modes are unique and ones that work the entire playfield in interesting ways. Also, Alien has 4 flippers all with unique shots, color GI + color inserts, 3 ramps, Alien toy that eats pinballs, mutiple LCD screens, etc. Overall Alien seems like a very packed game.

Best way to make a final decision would be to get some gameplay on all 3, will need to wait for Alien since they are just starting to be shipped, and go with the one you like best.

#25 7 years ago

Afm and mm are both awesome and my favorite pins to play . Not super deep but deep enough and very hard to master if set up correctly. Both have easy objectives and both have not so easy objectives. Afm has the better code imo over mm but both are very similar. Afm is faster , has more flow and is also more difficult imo. I have yet to beat mars and rule the universe after tons of games on it. I think alien will be a cool game but im gonna wait a bit while things get worked out and it becones a proven title. It has potential but still needs alot of things fixed imo. Put some time on afm and mm and i think u will see y they are so popular.

#26 7 years ago

IMHO you really have to own a MM or AFM to really appreciate them. You have to get deeply into the rule set and have that experience. For me the sounds a game makes is above almost everything except for game play. I have never played an Alien so I will have to wait for the Showdown to see if one shows up. Looks Fun. I would recommend before making a definitive decision to put in some good time on an Alien.

#27 7 years ago

I'd have to try Alien, even though I agree its light on toys. MM and AFM are everywhere... you probably have a half dozen friends that have these games as they are prerequisite to cookie cutter collections. Hell I have a MM that can't make it out of my garage into the gameroom. Just so bored to death with both MM and AFM. At least Alien is bringing a new experience to the table.

#28 7 years ago

IMG_5645 (resized).JPGIMG_5645 (resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

I'd have to try Alien, even though I agree its light on toys. MM and AFM are everywhere... you probably have a half dozen friends that have these games as they are prerequisite to cookie cutter collections. Hell I have a MM that can't make it out of my garage into the gameroom. Just so bored to death with both MM and AFM. At least Alien is bringing a new experience to the table.

If you have owned any pin for a while they can get boring after years of play . Has op owned eaither mm or afm before? If not than both wld be great choices to have in a collection and wld be new to him? . Ive played afm more than any other game since ive got it and its still my my favorite . Got mm few months ago and its great also . Brand new pins are great also but still have alot of unknowns and things that need worked out.

#30 7 years ago

The only one that is still unknown is Alien. We all KNOW that AFM and MM kick ass. I personally like the medieval theme over the 50/60's alien theme...and I don't like the unavoidable video mode on AFM and SOL gobble hole. But it's still a fantastic top tier game. I don't know if I'd own both AFM and MM at the same time, but you can't go wrong with either.

#31 7 years ago

I love that Alien is already being faced off against two of the greatest pins of all time.....and winning!

I recently had to make this decision....I put money down on an Alien. Love the layout and the theme integration....and deeper code. Not to mention the ability to swap in other games down the road with kits.

I was also considering selling my IMVE for a AFMr but have decided to hang on to IM....I just love that game.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I love that Alien is already being faced off against two of the greatest pins of all time.....and winning!
I recently had to make this decision....I put money down on an Alien. Love the layout and the theme integration....and deeper code. Not to mention the ability to swap in other games down the road with kits.
I was also considering selling my IMVE for a AFMr but have decided to hang on to IM....I just love that game.

Will see if it stands test of time..... of course anything new(with good theme) is gonna be popular against 20 year old stuff that many have allready owned. But if you have never owned some of the 20 year old stuff the feeling can be just as awesome bc its new to that person. I like alot about the alien pin but it definitely needs some work imo particularly the lack of action with the pops and slings and some other things need worked on also to make it play alot smoother. Ill wait for a bit untill all the bugs get worked out but the basis for a good game is there.

#33 7 years ago

MM takes this easily in my opinion. My MMr is on the way.

Alien would be second. I might purchase this pin as I love the theme and I might give Heighway a chance.

I just don't like AFM but apparently I am in the minority. It is a boring layout. If you like AFM, The Hobbit is similar but better. I will never own AFM or AFMr.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Alien would be second. I might purchase this pin as I love the theme and I might give Heighway a chance.
I just don't like AFM but apparently I am in the minority. It is a boring layout. If you like AFM, The Hobbit is similar but better. I will never own AFM or AFMr.

Not to argue with your opinion but afm and mm nearly have the exact same layouts.....and definitely isnt anything like hobbit? First ive ever heard of any of this.....

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I just don't like AFM but apparently I am in the minority. It is a boring layout. If you like AFM, The Hobbit is similar but better.

Thank you. That started my morning out right.

#36 7 years ago

I put my $$ on Alien.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not to argue with your opinion but afm and mm nearly have the exact same layouts.....and definitely isnt anything like hobbit? First ive ever heard of any of this.....

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank you. That started my morning out right.

OK...I've been sick and took 50 mg of Benadryl last night before bed and I don't know what in the hell I was talking about. It would have been 1 AM when I typed that so I'm not sure how I was even awake. Perhaps I was trying to say that my initial impression of both AFM and TH was that they were boring games but I've come around on TH?

It's probably best if there's no more benadryl and pinside for me.

-- clear headed TRAMD

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

OK...I've been sick and took 50 mg of Benadryl last night before bed and I don't know what in the hell I was talking about. It would have been 1 AM when I typed that so I'm not sure how I was even awake. Perhaps I was trying to say that my initial impression of both AFM and TH was that they were boring games but I've come around on TH?
It's probably best if there's no more benadryl and pinside for me.
-- clear headed TRAMD

Lmao! That's hilarious! Dude I don't even take cold medicine anymore it makes me feel so disconnected...

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

If you have owned any pin for a while they can get boring after years of play . Has op owned eaither mm or afm before? If not than both wld be great choices to have in a collection and wld be new to him? . Ive played afm more than any other game since ive got it and its still my my favorite . Got mm few months ago and its great also . Brand new pins are great also but still have alot of unknowns and things that need worked out.

To answer the question, I have not owned either title before. I have played both a number of times and enjoyed them quite a bit.
I currently have a TZ, and I play it daily. I doubt I will ever get to the point where i have completely mastered it - I simply am not that skilled of a pinball player - which is fine in my book, I want to keep the challenge going for a nice long while.

Couple of thoughts from my perspective -

- Not the best shot, so it will take a long while to wear out the challenge
- Haven't owned any of these games.
- Like the physical interaction with things on the playfield, it's a change from video games
- Want something the wifey will eventually approve of (TZ got her hooked)

I was particularly impressed with the look on the TBL, shame that is stalled where it is - the rug, the car, the sub field bowling alley - that looked like it would be a lot of fun.
Alien I am sure is as well - perhaps just in a different way?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

the only thing that makes me hesitate on that one is light on toys and heavy on video screens

I am not sure what you consider toys, but Aliens has a few pretty cool toys compared to MM and AFM

Aliens > 1 big toy > xeno head
AFM > 1 toy? > Martian ship (I dont really think of this as a toy since the ball never interacts with it
MM > 1 awesome toy > the interaction of the castle is probably 1 of the best toys ever

other toys?:
Aliens: face hugger slings, upper ramp lock mech
AFM: jumping martians
MM: Catapult

I guess when I think of feature of a game I think of the interaction feature.
Aliens: 4 flippers, 2 slings, magnet, xeno, drop bank, 3 ramps, 2 spinners, 2 diverter posts, airsleep lock, 3 pops, scoop, subway
AFM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, stand up dropping bank, 2 ramps martian ship, jumping aliens, scoop, vuk and diverter
MM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, catapult, Castle (really 3 things hear with drawbridge, moat kicker, and explosion), 2 ramps, scoop, ramp diverter

They are pretty comparable in 'toys'

Then I count unique shots form flippers
Aliens: 31 specific shots from 4 flippers
AFM:23 specific shots from 2 flippers
MM:18 specific shots from 2 flippers

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Madness.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure what you consider toys, but Aliens has a few pretty cool toys compared to MM and AFM
Aliens > 1 big toy > xeno head
AFM > 1 toy? > Martian ship (I dont really think of this as a toy since the ball never interacts with it
MM > 1 awesome toy > the interaction of the castle is probably 1 of the best toys ever
other toys?:
Aliens: face hugger slings, upper ramp lock mech
AFM: jumping martians
MM: Catapult
I guess when I think of feature of a game I think of the interaction feature.
Aliens: 4 flippers, 2 slings, magnet, xeno, drop bank, 3 ramps, 2 spinners, 2 diverter posts, airsleep lock, 3 pops, scoop, subway
AFM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, stand up dropping bank, 2 ramps martian ship, jumping aliens, scoop, vuk and diverter
MM: 2 flippers, 2 slings, 3 pops, catapult, Castle (really 3 things hear with drawbridge, moat kicker, and explosion), 2 ramps, scoop, ramp diverter

Maybe I need to look at the Alien videos again... lol

#43 7 years ago

So Alien has better gameplay than AFM or MM, really? Where did you play Alien? I watched the videos of Dial-In, Alien and Aerosmith. To me DI seems to be more fun than the other 2 simply judging by what I saw on youtube for what little it is worth. I got to play 3 games on DI at a show, which confirms my personal suspicion that it is on par with AFM & MM as far as layout and fun to play goes. Maybe I change my mind on Alien or Aerosmith once I actually get to play them, but before that it seems silly to judge those games against well established titles like AFM or MM.

#44 7 years ago

AFM.

All time classic.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If the overall layout sucks the specific shots mean nothing.

#46 7 years ago

Easily Alien. Support the NEW machines coming out, not the old, rehashed stuff.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Except that the layout for Alien is exceptional! I'm fortunate to be able to play Alien on route and have logged a good number of games and would say without a doubt that Alien has a better layout than MM or AFM. MM and AFM are basic fan layout games and Alien is truly unique and has four flippers with unique shots and a non-Italian bottom. Alien also has more immersive modes.-to be fair MM and AFM aren't really mode based games. Alien also has far better light show (full color changing leds), sounds, and display effects.-Of course it is also 20 years newer so it should! I do think MM and AFM have better humor and are likely to draw in new players since Alien is more challenging and isn't as approachable for beginners. I think what makes MM and AFM great is that someone that doesn't know pinball can walk up and play them and know exactly what to do. Alien has a steeper learning curve. I think all the games are great, it's just a matter of which type of game you're looking for. Personally, I have a hard time spending that much money on a 20+ year old game with older technology. I think you get more for your money on a game like Alien which has more state of the art features for the money.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

luckily, the layout is GREAT!

If you like the layout of other games being discussed, I am not sure how you dont like Aliens layout?

Aliens is basically 3 fan layouts laid on top of each other.

alien fans (resized).jpgalien fans (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago

Are the flippers really shifted to the right of center on Alien? I've never noticed that until I looked at the pic above.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are the flippers really shifted to the right of center on Alien? I've never noticed that until I looked at the pic above.

Hmmm...that is odd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-vs-mm-vs-alien-what-would-you-choose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.