New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 105171)

AFM Switch Problem

By hiesicheesy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey fellow pinsiders,

my afm has a weird problem. When i turn on the machine and play the first 1-2 games the switches 71,72,73,74 (for example capture and atomic blaster at right and left outlane) do not know what they have to do. If the ball rolls over them they just count 10 points or so but nothing else happens (they should award capture 1/atomic blaster 1). After the ball rolled about 2 times over the switch everything works as it should. Has anybody ever had a similar problem? Sorry for my english, i hope the problem is understandable!

Thanks!

#3 6 years ago

Are you saying the switches initially do something (award points) but don't do something else (advance capture/blaster)? That would be very weird. More likely the switches aren't registering anything. Did it used to work then stopped working by itself? Or did it stop working after the game was opened up (for cleaning or another repair, etc.)?

Take the glass off and confirm the behavior using your fingers. If all 4 switches act weird initially and then work ok after a few games, then it's probably a wiring issue - try reseating the switch matrix wires on the PCB behind the back glass...

#4 6 years ago

I was not aware that anything on this game only socred 10 points.

Check cables and molex connectors as well as lightly press in on board chips.

J206-7 controls as well as left and right saucer targets, drop target and center trough.
chip U20

I would also go into test and see if you can repeat this without gameplay. My thought is this could maybe happen from a wire shorting or almost not connecting. When martians or other things get hit or vibrate in game it could be changing the connection of things causing your problem to be intermittent. I would check the saucer trough and switches that share a matrix row with 71-74 first.
If you find one of these things working look at the next and work your way back to the CPU.
First one in this return row that is not working could easily be your culprit but not always.

Just thinking out loud others might trump these Ideas with greater knowledge.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Olathe, KS
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside