(Topic ID: 82857)

AFM - Sound issues (solved)

By Brentslane

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brentslane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Need some help again..

During game play the sound is going very quite at times (I'm not sure, but it seems to happen when you destroy the saucer, but not always). All speakers are making sound, just almost inaudible. The sound comes back fully when the ball is lost / next player starts.

On suggestion, I've tightened all the screws holding the boards and ground wires. I've also reseated all the connectors.

I'm open for suggestions... hopefully someone has seen this before and has a solution.

Thanks in advance.

BSL

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. The game is only resetting when I run a sound test. It has happened twice now when I run the music on repeat.

Hope that piece of info help.

Thanks
Brent

#5 10 years ago

I'll check the sound EPROM and let you know. I've reseated everything. I wish it was just that.

#6 10 years ago

Wed bump.

#7 10 years ago

Ok, the game is running 1.0 sound so I've ordered the 1.1 chip. I'm not fully sure that will fix the problem as the 1.1 chip isn't designed to fix a game that resets and has sound drop outs, but it is a start. I'm open for any other suggestions...

BSL

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the help markmon...

When it goes quiet, I put my ear by each speaker and I'm about 100% certain all 3 speakers are playing, but very very quietly.

I'm not super great with diagnosing, but if you tell me where and when to test the voltage exactly, I'll put a multimeter to it and report what I get.

thanks!!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The sub and backbox are on separate amps so that won't account did the backbox going quiet. Nor would the lpad going bad since the sound resets after the ball drains.
Too bad you don't have another wpc95 game to swap sound boards.

Yeah... wish I did have a spare. Any suggestions on how to proceed. I talked to Michael over at Flipper Fidelity extensively yesterday and we don't think it's the FF kit.

#13 10 years ago

worst case I can buy a new sound board for about $275. I just want to be sure that's the problem. New amps and other parts are pretty cheap.

#15 10 years ago

Not sure... I've put the "help" message out locally... but nothing really coming back.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Does AFM and BOP use the same board? I'm doubting it but if so I'll rip it out of mine and bring it over.

Let me check.

#18 10 years ago

I believe BOP uses the 89 board... damn.

#21 10 years ago

Well I went ahead and purchased on of those brand new AV boards. The good news is this will allow me to test this and hopefully fix the problem. I'll report back when it's in house and installed... fingers crossed.

BSL

#23 10 years ago

So I put in the new rottendog A/V board and turned the sound to about 27 or 28 for testing during a game. The fuses on the rottendog board (F501 and F502) blew after about 5 mins. I see they use 250V 1/2A fuses.

Anyone else had experience with these boards / fuses blowing?

If it's not one thing... it's another... :-/

BSL

#25 10 years ago

Well new fuses with lower volume have not produced a sound drop out yet... more testing needed.

Now my strobe is acting erratic and the LEDs around the big saucer are all lit and not rotating.

Any ideas on stobe + LEDs out there?

BSL

#27 10 years ago

ah... so I purchased some 3a 250v fuses as well... should I change out the 1/2 amp 250v's with these?

I'll have to look what 601 and 602 have... this is good news if that fixes it. Now to figure out why my saucer LEDs are not rotating (they all just stay lit) and why the stobe is acting flaky.

Markmon... I owe you a beer for all of this!

#29 10 years ago

Also confirmed by Rottendog... replace 1/2a fuses 501 and 502 with 3a fuses. They didn't compensate for louder volumes.

#31 10 years ago

yeah... thanks for the help along the way. Only bad part is the sound fix cost me almost $300!! Ugh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brentslane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-sound-issues?tu=Brentslane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.