By Brentslane

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Need some help again..

During game play the sound is going very quite at times (I'm not sure, but it seems to happen when you destroy the saucer, but not always). All speakers are making sound, just almost inaudible. The sound comes back fully when the ball is lost / next player starts.

On suggestion, I've tightened all the screws holding the boards and ground wires. I've also reseated all the connectors.

I'm open for suggestions... hopefully someone has seen this before and has a solution.

Thanks in advance.

BSL

#2 10 years ago

Bumping this for you. Beautiful machine. Hopefully it is something simple.

Didn't you say it was resetting on you as well? Wanted to make sure as that may be helpful info.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. The game is only resetting when I run a sound test. It has happened twice now when I run the music on repeat.

Hope that piece of info help.

Thanks
Brent

#4 10 years ago

Make sure you have latest sound ROM Version 1.1 and also try reseating any eproms on the sound board.

#5 10 years ago

I'll check the sound EPROM and let you know. I've reseated everything. I wish it was just that.

#6 10 years ago

Wed bump.

#7 10 years ago

Ok, the game is running 1.0 sound so I've ordered the 1.1 chip. I'm not fully sure that will fix the problem as the 1.1 chip isn't designed to fix a game that resets and has sound drop outs, but it is a start. I'm open for any other suggestions...

BSL

#8 10 years ago

Yea this isn't caused by the game rom version. That won't make any difference. Sounds like your sound system has some issue, which you already know. The reason it resets on next ball is because a soft reset is done between balls on the sound system. I believe the audio runs on 12v. You might want to make sure the voltage is stable at the sound board.

As for resetting when in audio test while looping, I think that's even normal. Many of the tests have an internal timer and the game resets if in that test too long.

So when the sound goes quiet, are you sure that the cabinet speaker is not the only speaker on? That might at least point to one of the two amps being bad on the sound board. If they both go bad together then it's going to be something else ... Unless the cabinet speaker is just dead and the only ones running are the backbox lol.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the help markmon...

When it goes quiet, I put my ear by each speaker and I'm about 100% certain all 3 speakers are playing, but very very quietly.

I'm not super great with diagnosing, but if you tell me where and when to test the voltage exactly, I'll put a multimeter to it and report what I get.

thanks!!

#10 10 years ago

Should probably also be noted that it has a flipper fidelity kit on it. At least I saw the sub so am assuming it has the backbox speakers as well. I wonder if the crossover is acting up on the sub. That thing shakes HARD with the shaker motor and maybe something came lose or a solder joint is cracked. I'm just drawing at straws here though.

#11 10 years ago

The sub and backbox are on separate amps so that won't account did the backbox going quiet. Nor would the lpad going bad since the sound resets after the ball drains.

Too bad you don't have another wpc95 game to swap sound boards.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The sub and backbox are on separate amps so that won't account did the backbox going quiet. Nor would the lpad going bad since the sound resets after the ball drains.
Too bad you don't have another wpc95 game to swap sound boards.

Yeah... wish I did have a spare. Any suggestions on how to proceed. I talked to Michael over at Flipper Fidelity extensively yesterday and we don't think it's the FF kit.

#13 10 years ago

worst case I can buy a new sound board for about $275. I just want to be sure that's the problem. New amps and other parts are pretty cheap.

#14 10 years ago

Anyone local to you to get a board from for the swap?

#15 10 years ago

Not sure... I've put the "help" message out locally... but nothing really coming back.

#16 10 years ago

Does AFM and BOP use the same board? I'm doubting it but if so I'll rip it out of mine and bring it over.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Does AFM and BOP use the same board? I'm doubting it but if so I'll rip it out of mine and bring it over.

Let me check.

#18 10 years ago

I believe BOP uses the 89 board... damn.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No.

#20 10 years ago

The audio boards have a lot of components so its hard to troubleshoot without a spare at least for me. If one of the amps overheats, this is a typical result. But then the cabinet speaker would continue on as it was. If the cabinet speaker also gets lower, it would be something else. If it were me, I'd probably buy a new wpc95 AV board. If that doesn't solve it, you can sell it for close to what you paid anyway. If that doesn't solve it, I'd be looking at the ribbon cables and the CPU board next.

#21 10 years ago

Well I went ahead and purchased on of those brand new AV boards. The good news is this will allow me to test this and hopefully fix the problem. I'll report back when it's in house and installed... fingers crossed.

BSL

#22 10 years ago

Just found this - while I have a couple WPC systems I don't have the 95 in order to swap. Hopefully your new one solves the problem some folks will be happy to buy your old one to fix.

#23 10 years ago

So I put in the new rottendog A/V board and turned the sound to about 27 or 28 for testing during a game. The fuses on the rottendog board (F501 and F502) blew after about 5 mins. I see they use 250V 1/2A fuses.

Anyone else had experience with these boards / fuses blowing?

If it's not one thing... it's another... :-/

BSL

#24 10 years ago

Sounds like there may be a wire touching something it shouldn't be. Try to trace the wires from the board back to there origination points. I'll help you out next time I'm over if you don't have it fixed by then. Maybe another set of eyes will help.

#25 10 years ago

Well new fuses with lower volume have not produced a sound drop out yet... more testing needed.

Now my strobe is acting erratic and the LEDs around the big saucer are all lit and not rotating.

Any ideas on stobe + LEDs out there?

BSL

#26 10 years ago

The fuses are wrong on the rotten dog Av boards. They should have the 1/2 amp fuses in F601 and F602 for the video. The video uses high voyage so it requiresow amps. The audio should have higher amp fuses because it runs off 12v. The same amperage fuses can be used in the audio section that comes on your stock audio board. The incorrect fuses being in the board is why it blows when the volume is high. I think they are auppose to be 3a fuses. Check your fuse chart in the back of the cabinet. Several rottendog AV boards come with the wrong fuses like this.

#27 10 years ago

ah... so I purchased some 3a 250v fuses as well... should I change out the 1/2 amp 250v's with these?

I'll have to look what 601 and 602 have... this is good news if that fixes it. Now to figure out why my saucer LEDs are not rotating (they all just stay lit) and why the stobe is acting flaky.

Markmon... I owe you a beer for all of this!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

ah... so I purchased some 3a 250v fuses as well... should I change out the 1/2 amp 250v's with these?
I'll have to look what 601 and 602 have... this is good news if that fixes it. Now to figure out why my saucer LEDs are not rotating (they all just stay lit) and why the stobe is acting flaky.
Markmon... I owe you a beer for all of this!

Ya swap the two audio fuses. Make sure the two video fuses are 1/2a. The fuses match the fuse chart in the game or manual. The board is not a redesign so it uses the same value fuses.

#29 10 years ago

Also confirmed by Rottendog... replace 1/2a fuses 501 and 502 with 3a fuses. They didn't compensate for louder volumes.

#30 10 years ago

Great news!

#31 10 years ago

yeah... thanks for the help along the way. Only bad part is the sound fix cost me almost $300!! Ugh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.