(Topic ID: 82655)

AFM Solenoid to too strong... suggestions?

By Brentslane

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just added AFM to my collection. She's a beauty, but I've noticed that the solenoid that ejects the ball out of the saucer area is firing it so strong that the ball is bouncing back into it a few times before it finally stays on the wire ramp and rolls down. Adding to that, the powder coating on the wire ramp is being damaged by this receptive action. The solenoid meets the factory requirement for power. We added one washer to each screw under the playfield, but it's still bouncing back. The other suggestion I've received is to double up on the spring. Any other people every experience this and if so, how did you correct it? I'm sure it's simple, but I'd like to find someone else that had this issue and a real world fix for it. I noticed my trough solenoid does this sometimes too (the bounce back) so I might be adjusting both.

Thanks in advance...

BSL

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

The solenoid meets the factory requirement for power.

What does that mean? Did you verify the coil number under the playfield matches the coil number in the manual for the vuk?

#3 10 years ago

It does match but for some reason it's firing so strong it's bouncing the ball back into the VUK and having to launch out several times.

#4 10 years ago

Sounds like the wireform is not properly secured and is bouncing the ball back into the VUK. The hex stand off often has the bolt portion break due to the hammering over the years. I had to drill and re-tap mine.

#5 10 years ago

checked that...seems super secure everywhere.

#6 10 years ago

On mine when the ball comes out it actually contacts the side of the wireform first, which then directs the ball sideways and down and doesn't allow it to bounce back up. Maybe try adjusting the wireform to keep from getting a direct hit right to the bottom and allowing a bounce?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

It does match but for some reason it's firing so strong it's bouncing the ball back into the VUK and having to launch out several times.

Mine does that maybe every 3rd or 4th game.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

On mine when the ball comes out it actually contacts the side of the wireform first, which then directs the ball sideways and down and doesn't allow it to bounce back up. Maybe try adjusting the wireform to keep from getting a direct hit right to the bottom and allowing a bounce?

I'll check that... that seems like a good fix.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Mine bounces back in sometimes as well. I would be a little worried that if the ball hits the side first that the welds on the wire ramp may break over time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.50
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-solenoid-to-too-strong-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.