New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 160641)

AFM Shaker Motor Install

By leesparts

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AFM_Shaker_2._(resized).JPG
AFM_Shaker_3_(resized).JPG
AFM_Shaker_Connector_(resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

Finally obtained a Pinbits shaker motor for my AFM. Working through the online install process documentation. The instructions show drilling through the cabinet bottom and using T-nuts/bolts to mount the motor. Mine came with screws. Are the screws sufficient? are they better/worse?

Any other install tips?

Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

I would t-nuts just becouse thats how it comes from the factory, but bolts work just fine, been 2 years and shaker is still very secure.

#3 4 years ago

So where is the best location to mount the shaker?

I have seen three variations:
1) Next to coin box
2) Just behind coin box divider (where cheat sheet is) toward left side
3) Next to the speaker toward left side

Also heard back from PinBits, they switched to screws so you don't have to drill through the cabinet.

#4 4 years ago

Screws are fine.

I have always located them #2. I think their online instructions indicate that position as well.

#5 4 years ago

Go figure: PinBits shows all three locations: For AFM #2 or #1, MM #3 (and indicate that it is a good location for WPC-95).

Just wonder if there is any difference

#6 4 years ago

Any location is fine. I used 2 screws/2 bolts. Dialed back strength on board all the way and adjusted weights and the thing is still super powerful. Picked up felt tape and put it around edge of glass to decrease rattle.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Next to the speaker toward left side

I did this. I also did as Wickerman2 and toned down the shaking by moving one of the weights 90 degrees.

#8 4 years ago

Thank you for the replies!

I ended up mounting next to the speaker with the provided screws.

I didn't like the idea of a splice connector on the strobe cable so I made up a Molex pass thru connector.
AFM_Shaker_3_(resized).JPGAFM_Shaker_2._(resized).JPG AFM_Shaker_Connector_(resized).JPG

#9 4 years ago

Looks good!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside