Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3243 (resized).PNG
IMG_3221 (resized).JPG
IMG_3223 (resized).JPG
IMG_3220 (resized).JPG
19437439_10158928821955300_6940165757670954114_n (resized).jpg
19511534_10158928819835300_4051055831225375011_n (resized).jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

No poll so I counted the replies. Although not exactly a fair count because AFM is old and some might already own it or have owned it in the past so they might just say DI as its something new.

But the results

DI=14
AFMR=9

#52 6 years ago

For me the only reason to consider AFM over DI is the cost. Otherwise DI is mostly superior in every way. While the ball times can be longish, they are exciting balls with great flow. I never really understood what people meant by "flow" until I played DI. It is the smoothest playing game I've ever played and it is also completely packed with cool gadgets and features. Usually games that have this many cool things are widebody, floaty, stop and go, games like TZ or WOZ. The theme of Dialed In! is initially off-putting but that is until you play it and then it becomes really fun and neat. It has a tongue-in-cheek hero theme similar to MM but in a modern city with multiple disaster scenarios. As more ship out and more people play it, expect to see it climb the Top 100 chart and end up top 10, possibly top 5.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

how much flexibility is there on Jersey Jack games?

Call Jack direct or go to the factory and make your deal. (bring cash)

#54 6 years ago

I was able to put 10 or so games on each one today both LE.

Both games are gorgeous looking, and DI especially the LCD animations are great.

Both shot well, however to me, I am now leaning towards AFM LE. It's not as bonkers, not as many shots, magnets etc.. But the more I played DI, never got a happy feeling. Particularly the upper PF was pointless. The main shots were too easy to hit, the side scoop to subway is likely to be hit by accident. The stick figure was a bit not my cup of tea.

In the end, it was the gameplay that lead me more towards AFM.

DI is good but not great in my book. I liked it a lot but didn't blow me away while AFM (seems) to be just a safe choice. No one ever got fired for buying IBM as the saying goes. So as DI costs even more, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the chance.

AFM is a proven great, DI is very good, not great.

DI was new and working well, but didn't seem to kick ass partly it seemed floaty and full disclosure the rear legs were set to lowest setting every game there was too. On my home games I set all my pins rear legs to full extension.
IMG_3221 (resized).JPGIMG_3221 (resized).JPGIMG_3223 (resized).JPGIMG_3223 (resized).JPGIMG_3220 (resized).JPGIMG_3220 (resized).JPG

#55 6 years ago

Thanks for the opinion.It is very helpful. I am deciding between DI and AFMr too. I am leaning towards the latter.

#56 6 years ago

Both are fantastic games, I went with AFMrLE because they will/are sold out quick while Jack will be releasing DILE for years. If the current DILE's are sold out, Jack will simply release another version like DI Quantum City LE then DI Disasters LE ....or something like that. I'm not sure Jack understands what "Limited" means.

#57 6 years ago

I don't subscribe to the idea you should buy DI over AFMr because it's a newer game with more complexity. New games are a lot of fun to explore but often lack that fun factor that 90s games have. Complex code is tough to figure out especially new players. A game like AFM is easy to understand and a lot of fun. I haven't played DI but it seems like a fun game. I just think it needs to be over the top fun to justify the price and win over a game like AFM.

#58 6 years ago

I canceled my afm order and went with di. Should have it next week.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't subscribe to the idea you should buy DI over AFMr because it's a newer game with more complexity. New games are a lot of fun to explore but often lack that fun factor that 90s games have. Complex code is tough to figure out especially new players. A game like AFM is easy to understand and a lot of fun. I haven't played DI but it seems like a fun game. I just think it needs to be over the top fun to justify the price and win over a game like AFM.

this is what I'm debating, now with WOZ or AFM.

I am not represented of the 90s pins at all. I used to own TZ, CFTBL, IJ, T2, STTNG, TOTAN. Got rid of my old games because they were breaking down and/or were used players condition.

However, with AFM, never thought I would be able to get new old games before.

I'm only worried that AFM is just to much shoot the saucer 100x may get old.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

this is what I'm debating, now with WOZ or AFM.
I am not represented of the 90s pins at all. I used to own TZ, CFTBL, IJ, T2, STTNG, TOTAN. Got rid of my old games because they were breaking down and/or were used players condition.
However, with AFM, never thought I would be able to get new old games before.
I'm only worried that AFM is just to much shoot the saucer 100x may get old.

AFM is fun for a while, but gets old fast. I prefer deeper code and multiple areas of playfield to work. Both are great, but I think newer games are coded to last longer in home use.

#61 6 years ago

I agree with the one person who said get both! I have a AFM LE on order and I was blown away by Dialed In yesterday @ Pintastic! It's great! Jersey Jack Pinball has definitely taken the crown from Stern when it comes to pinball.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

AFM is fun for a while, but gets old fast. I prefer deeper code and multiple areas of playfield to work. Both are great, but I think newer games are coded to last longer in home use.

This was my thinking. Can't wait to get DI next week.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Aside from saving on shipping by picking up myself, how much flexibility is there on Jersey Jack games?

If you pick it up yourself at JJP in NJ you may have to pay sales tax which would end up costing more than shipping. I am not sure, but I am sure others will chime in to correct me if I am incorrect.

Gord

#65 6 years ago

I started to get on the fence between DI, AFM and SW (although I have an DILE on order). Always wanted a real good condition AFM and now with the remake, it became a harder choice. SW, dream theme but I can only fit one for now.
But why I am trying to decide. DI has way too much going for it. Modern day tech, deep rule set, quality built products and I know JJP's customer service is top notch. Game play is not a 100 games and done it all type of pin. I hate the fact I havent played it, but seen enough videos to get a good sense of what its all about. Majority of reviews taking into a/c JJP lovers, haters, etc, reviews are very favorable. While I take reviews in stride, they are helpful seeing how others view the game. DI has a lot of diversity which should keep it fresh. No more on the fence, embrace the inevitable.

#66 6 years ago

Both are great, but I've played AFM quite a bit in the past. DI is a whole lot of fun and new to me. Went DILE.

#67 6 years ago

Is AFM 90% about shooting the saucer?

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not if you play it correctly .... center shot is way to dangerous and you wont get real far if thats your way to approach it....

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

If you pick it up yourself at JJP in NJ you may have to pay sales tax which would end up costing more than shipping. I am not sure, but I am sure others will chime in to correct me if I am incorrect.
Gord

Only if you are from nj i believe......

#70 6 years ago

I have both games. OAFM and DILE. I choose both.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Thanks for the input. This might be early but is anyone selling di le under msrp. Or 9 k is the price and nothing lower . Thanks again

To me this is a no brainer. AFM is a classic and one of the best original themes ever. DI is a really bad original theme and could end up being JJP's RCT. I would look for a lower price or wait on the DI for a year or so and pick a used one up for cheaper. Someone here in Florida had his DI LE for ONE DAY and put it on the market for less than retail. When it didn't sell he decided to keep it for a little longer to try to like it.

#72 6 years ago

the biggest econoline game of the B/W DMD lineup VS. the only actually fun JJP game made is an unfair comparison. One game that is virtually empty and the biggest cost saving sparse playfield ever seen, vs a JJP game packed full of goodies, tons of shots and actually fun to play.

Shouldn't there be a poll?

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

To me this is a no brainer. AFM is a classic and one of the best original themes ever. DI is a really bad original theme and could end up being JJP's RCT. I would look for a lower price or wait on the DI for a year or so and pick a used one up for cheaper. Someone here in Florida had his DI LE for ONE DAY and put it on the market for less than retail. When it didn't sell he decided to keep it for a little longer to try to like it.

This is a valid point. Since DI is just out we have no idea what it will look like when JJP has a history of 20 pins to their name. Will it be like LotR, Metallica, Tspp or will it be like CSI, RCT, 24?

Every game that comes out is hype. Even people bought WWE LE etc.. it is different between a new pin and a classic.

Let's say there was 100 pins made in the 90s we can probably rattle off 20 pins and its likely that the most of the top lists would look the same, with AFM in the list of most people.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not any more than it is shooting the castle in MM. Both are just a single objective in the game.

My biggest hangup for DI is the theme. The theme is a huge factor for me and a pin based on a cell phone does not get me excited at all. There's no doubt they've loaded it with features and it apparently shoots well, but theme (just like with WOZ) kills it for me. Besides that playschool looking toy guy on a stick is hard to overlook.

#75 6 years ago

it's not really about acell phone.Is more like a disaster video game concept than anything else. I really get a sim city destruction vibe from playing it. The cell phone does not feel like the center point of it.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My biggest hangup for DI is the theme. The theme is a huge factor for me and a pin based on a cell phone does not get me excited at all.

Good point, i don't think this has been said before...

#77 6 years ago

Just back from Pintastic, played both. Left with a pin-crush on AFMr. That machine was just bright, snappy and fun to pay. I am so happy to get to put a good number of games in. I worry a bit about longevity in HUO, but I think fun factor will make it a keeper.

DI was fun enough, liked the tech, display is nice, but probably only glanced-up once or twice during my plays.

#78 6 years ago

I love AFM, and the remake is a beautiful, upgraded version, the SE is amazing! The large display is a thing of beauty! Dialed In looks great too, I havent played it enough to give a solid opinion but you can't go wrong with AFMr, I would go SE or LE though.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Good point, i don't think this has been said before...

Ahh sarcasm, I like that. Its funny though, if we removed all the posts that from Pinside that have already been mentioned by someone else, then there would likely be about a 70 percent reduction is posts. That's just the nature of online forums...sorry.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not really about acell phone.Is more like a disaster video game concept than anything else. I really get a sim city destruction vibe from playing it. The cell phone does not feel like the center point of it.

I do get that, however it is the central toy and the art does show a guy holding it up in prominently the air on both sides of the cabinet. Having said that, its just my opinion/personal taste of course. My all-time favorite pin is STTNG and I know there is has always theme hang-up for many out there many in the pinball community. I would say for me, even though its not primarily about the cell phone, I just am not a big fan of the overall look of the game. Once I play it, I may warm up to it some, but still wouldn't own one.

#80 6 years ago

I still find the comments about DI’s theme before playing it somewhat comical. I didn’t expect to love the game. I went to see it and just see what it was about. Walked away thinking it was the best shooting game I had ever played. In person the lights and the artwork just clicked. Sure there is a cell phone on it and it is an integral part of the game that delivers information to the player in a fun way. It took a couple of games but it just got better with that “one more game”.

I love AFM...for it’s time. The shots are pretty good and the humor stands up. It is just not very deep and beatable. If you like that layout I truly believe Spider-Man is the better deeper game.

You can’t go wrong with AFM in your collection but between the two DI is a better and more feature rich game.

#81 6 years ago

I'm appreciating all of these opinions and reviews. I was set on afmr se but now am going for dile. I have minimal play on afm and none on di. Hopefully I'm making a good choice. I was planning on selling a game to make room but I'll probably just piss the wife off and make the collection a new high of 5.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

I love AFM...for it’s time. The shots are pretty good and the humor stands up. It is just not very deep and beatable. If you like that layout I truly believe Spider-Man is the better deeper game.

Spider-Man plays nothing like AFM. They are both fan layouts and have the same retracting target bank in the center, but that's where the similarity ends. Spider-Man is laid out much more like Star Trek - which has a layout that is the same as STTNG, but not wide body.

It take a lot to "Rule the Universe" on AFM - it's something that 95% of players will only achieve maybe once a year playing frequently.
Why would anyone want a game that is NOT beatable? I would much rather have the RTU rules on AFM than the Do or Die Multiball on Iron Man (which is much more un-beatable). Where is the value in having a wizard mode that you can never get to it? Or that you only got to it once in 10 years (assuming you have a decent skill level).

#83 6 years ago

Nate is back doing Coast to Coast podcasts again.
His wife Teressa really wants Attack from Mars for their fist pin.
Case Closed.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Nate is back doing Coast to Coast podcasts again.
His wife Teressa really wants Attack from Mars for their fist pin.
Case Closed.

If my wife actually liked pinball and wanted a certain game that would be a whole different story.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Why would anyone want a game that is NOT beatable?

I agree. I've have/had a number of games now that I could not get the wizard mode to even after owing for several years or more. ACDC - no encore and really no possible way for my skill level to achieve, LOTR - no valinor and no possible way I'll ever get there (owned the game for over 6 years), SS - spider multiball - nope. TWD - has two, siege and LMS. I'm hoping to get siege eventually. I like having games that I can reach these at least once a year, like with STTNG or TZ. I know play better blah blah...but really with the time I have to play, I'm playing as good as I'm going to.

#86 6 years ago

IMHO these two dont compare very well. AFM is a game i like to play when im in the mood for quick fun game play. (Nothing deep) No deep rules just a few great shots and some awesome funny call outs with moderate goals To complete the game is by no means easy but you can get pretty far to get that quick game satisfaction. This type of game never gets old for me. Hobbit, WOZ and DI are long deep rule games that have many facets that I may never see. However that is also an itch that needs scratching for me
I Have WOZ and owned Hobbit. They are great games that I want to play when im in the mood for a long deep game. So both in a collection would be the way to go!

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Spider-Man plays nothing like AFM. They are both fan layouts and have the same retracting target bank in the center, but that's where the similarity ends. Spider-Man is laid out much more like Star Trek - which has a layout that is the same as STTNG, but not wide body.
It take a lot to "Rule the Universe" on AFM - it's something that 95% of players will only achieve maybe once a year playing frequently.
Why would anyone want a game that is NOT beatable? I would much rather have the RTU rules on AFM than the Do or Die Multiball on Iron Man (which is much more un-beatable). Where is the value in having a wizard mode that you can never get to it? Or that you only got to it once in 10 years (assuming you have a decent skill level).

I actually like having a mode that is out of reach...like SOTR on WOZ. I'll never get there, but it's something to strive for. I have gotten 6 of the 8 requirements so it feels doable, but not really in reality (Mega Rescue jackpot is the real roadblock for me). After I was getting Super-Hero on my SM I made the game tougher by opening the outlanes. I rarely get there now and I love it that way. DoDM in IM is a little different in that I never try to go for it because it's so hard, but the DoD Hurryup is a very challenging goal itself as well as Jericho. For AFM, if you are getting to RTU often, just make it physically tougher by opening the outlanes. That's what they're for!

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

DI is a really bad original theme and could end up being JJP's RCT.

That's cute; you haven't played it. Dialed In! will likely be considered JJP's best pin out of the three they have currently released. TH is the worst JJP game currently.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Not any more than it is shooting the castle in MM. Both are just a single objective in the game.
My biggest hangup for DI is the theme. The theme is a huge factor for me and a pin based on a cell phone does not get me excited at all. There's no doubt they've loaded it with features and it apparently shoots well, but theme (just like with WOZ) kills it for me. Besides that playschool looking toy guy on a stick is hard to overlook.

Look! Another person that hasn't played it. I don't even like Wizard of Oz but the pin is so well done that it made me like Wizard of Oz more. The theme of Dialed In! is fine. It is good even.

Look, I get it guys. I am a theme whore. I will dismiss a game due to theme...until I play it and my mind is changed. I disliked the TZ theme but once I played the game, I was hooked AND like the theme. I was not a big WOZ fan but the game changed everything for me; including my opinion of the theme. Dialed In! is the same. I HATED the theme and look of the game originally. I could find multiple posts of me dismissing the game and saying I would NEVER buy it despite being a huge JJP and Lawlor fan. The reviews made me reconsider over time and I bought it without ever having played it. The first few games made me regret my decision but by about game 5 or 6 I was hooked. I LOVE DI now! It is a crowning achievement. Could it be better with a better theme? Probably, but the theme is actually really good and I love it more with each play. Now that I am typing this I want to go downstairs and play a few games. I have never been so obsessed with a game before. It may eclipse even WOZ, LOTR, MM and TZ for me and that is saying a lot.

Quoted from rai:

On my home games I set all my pins rear legs to full extension.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Look! Another person that hasn't played it. I don't even like Wizard of Oz but the pin is so well done that it made me like Wizard of Oz more. The theme of Dialed In! is fine. It is good even.

That's cute. I have actually played WOZ on multiple occasions and it didn't click with me at all. I won't go into the exact details of why, so that you can tell me why I'm wrong. You'll just have to take my word on it. So in that case it wasn't just theme. I can see possibly warming up to Dialed In some day since it looks like it has flow and some interesting shots, obviously a lot of features. For that reason, I may be able to get past the unappealing (for me) theme. For now, its a little too pricy for having to settle on a theme that I'm not thrilled with. For 9k, it has to hit on all levels for me. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm in the market at the level.

#90 6 years ago

There are a lot of reasons one game won't click with some. WOZ is no exception. Some like games with more flow, and others don't like multiple play fields, etc. That said WOZ is a very deep game. I may never get to SOTR but I may get to kill the witch someday. Racking up points feels like an achievement at times. The lighting and sounds are great.

I don't need a wizard mode to never be achievable but RTU feels like a mini wizard mode since it is not too difficult to achieve.

Again, both are great games but for the money you are going to spend DI will offer the more over time. Play a good amount of games on both for sure.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

There are a lot of reasons one game won't click with some. WOZ is no exception. Some like games with more flow, and others don't like multiple play fields, etc. That said WOZ is a very deep game. I may never get to SOTR but I may get to kill the witch someday. Racking up points feels like an achievement at times. The lighting and sounds are great.
I don't need a wizard mode to never be achievable but RTU feels like a mini wizard mode since it is not too difficult to achieve.
Again, both are great games but for the money you are going to spend DI will offer the more over time. Play a good amount of games on both for sure.

My afm plays mean and i haven't got to rtu (nor has anyome got close) after thousands of plays. Its achievable but id have to have a,really really special game. My outlanes are very hungry lol and my game is just to fast with very sensitive slings...

#92 6 years ago

From some of these posts it sounds like anyone who is is a great pinball player would often RTU and would get bored with AFM quickly. I say AFM is an all-time classic and one of the very best games of all time and you have to have a very small size collection for it not to be a keeper.

Dialed In has an ugly cabinet and an ugly playfield with some very nice tech toys and a nice shot layout and decent utilization of the big screen in the backbox. But it seems that a deep rule set is now a prerequisite for a pin lasting in a home environment. Time will tell, but I think some DIs will be traded out in time for games with more visual appeal, whether they are old classics or other new "blingy" games.

#93 6 years ago

Just got my Dialed In and love it. Just a breath of fresh air. I also have an AFM (not r), and it doesn't get much play anymore. That's out of a collection of 30 some games. It's just everyone has had the game around me. We have all played it a million times. It's old news. But, a great game none the less that I'm not going to sell. Personally, I'd go with Dialed In by a mile.

Also, I have heard the build quality has changed 100% for the better with AFMr and Chicago Gaming assembling them. But, I was far from impressed on the MMr. To be fair, that is on route and not in a home environment. Shit broke on that game in 2 weeks that never broke on an original.

Brian

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

That's cute; you haven't played it.

Um actually I have played it. Sorry to bust your bubble. To me the theme spoils the game. Plain and simple. To each his own. You like it and I would much rather have AFMr, AS, SW, TBL, or even Alien.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Um actually I have played it. Sorry to bust your bubble. To me the theme spoils the game. Plain and simple. To each his own. You like it and I would much rather have AFMr, AS, SW, TBL, or even Alien.

That's what's cool, man. Everything likes something different. And that's how it should be. Something that is most times lost in this place.

Brian

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

That's what's cool, man. Everyone likes something different. And that's how it should be. Something that is most times lost in this place.
Brian

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

It's just everyone has had the game around me. We have all played it a million times. It's old news.

There's the key part of your statement. You've played it a million time, so now you're bored of it. Of course you are, I would be to. Lets see if you're bored of DI after a million plays. That's why its staying power is pure speculation at this time. Regardless of deep rules, it may not age well.

#98 6 years ago

I am hoping that DI makes an appearance at ReplayFX end of this month! Have not had a chance to play it yet. That said, AFM is one of my favorite pins so this was a no-brainer for me. The nice thing about these newer tables is you can likely make a trade down the road.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

There's the key part of your statement. You've played it a million time, so now you're bored of it. Of course you are, I would be to. Lets see if you're bored of DI after a million plays. That's why its staying power is pure speculation at this time. Regardless of deep rules, it may not age well.

I agree with that. Right now, I'd rather have Dialed In because it's new and fresh. AFMr just has some extra lipstick. But, it's impossible to predict the longevity of DI.

Brian

#100 6 years ago

AFM on route looked amazing didn't see any spotty build. But that's just one example. I was told the DI which I played was out of service the next day but I don't think you can draw any conclusions by just two points in time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-remake-or-di-le/page/2?hl=cosmojoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.