Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3243 (resized).PNG
IMG_3221 (resized).JPG
IMG_3223 (resized).JPG
IMG_3220 (resized).JPG
19437439_10158928821955300_6940165757670954114_n (resized).jpg
19511534_10158928819835300_4051055831225375011_n (resized).jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Going to put my Metallica led Pro up for sale soon, Going to replace with either one of these. I have a WOZ RR and think its awesome. I been watching all these vids of DI and it seems fun . AFM seems like a lot of fun too but more exciting. I am just on the fence which way to go since I can only get one . Any input be appreciated. And let me state I purchased both of my games without playing first and enjoyed them a ton.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Going to put my Metallica led Pro up for sale soon, Going to replace with either one of these. I have a WOZ RR and think its awesome. I been watching all these vids of DI and it seems fun . AFM seems like a lot of fun too but more exciting. I am just on the fence which way to go since I can only get one . Any input be appreciated. And let me state I purchased both of my games without playing first and enjoyed them a ton.

some feel AFM gets boring after a while. Dialed In would be the way to go for me. Especially since you already have WOZ.

#3 6 years ago

Since you already have a WOZ I'd go for AFM to compliment it, it's a solid replacement for Metallica's fast and furious gameplay. With a two game lineup it's nice to have drastically different play styles.

Personally I'd buy AFM now, and maybe sell WOZ further down the line and pick up a Dialed In.

From my understanding DI can have some pretty long ball times much like WOZ, and sometimes you just want to sneak in a quick five minute game.

#4 6 years ago

Go for DI LE. Ultimately, AFMr is a 90's game with some upgrades. DI LE is a game designed today with a lot of modern technology and features.

The AFM rule set, while slightly better than MM, is still a 90's rule set. Compared to games of today it is fairly shallow. This is not a knock on AFM, it's a classic and is a wonderful game, but the rule set does not compare with the top level coded games of today in terms of a HUO environment.

Support innovation. Support JJP and get a DI.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Go for DI LE. Ultimately, AFMr is a 90's game with some upgrades. DI LE is a game designed today with a lot of modern technology and features.
The AFM rule set, while slightly better than MM, is still a 90's rule set. Compared to games of today it is fairly shallow. This is not a knock on AFM, it's a classic and is a wonderful game, but the rule set does not compare with the top level coded games of today in terms of a HUO environment.

Agreed! Without question I would choose DILE for the reasons mentioned. Honestly, I'm kind of over most of the 90's titles at least the one's priced over $5K. At $5K I would rather get a modern Stern Pro with more complex rules and something I haven't played a ton already in the past. I've found myself selling off most of my 90's games for these reasons and going for newer games instead. AFM is a fun game but I just couldn't justify that kind of cash for an old game with limited rules and technology.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Agreed! Without question I would choose DILE for the reasons mentioned. Honestly, I'm kind of over most of the 90's titles at least the one's priced over $5K. At $5K I would rather get a modern Stern Pro with more complex rules and something I haven't played a ton already in the past. I've found myself selling off most of my 90's games for these reasons and going for newer games instead. AFM is a fun game but I just couldn't justify that kind of cash for an old game with limited rules and technology.

i feel the exact same way. in the recent past i have sold my Scared Stiff to get a Star Trek Pro, picked up a Metallica Limited, Hobbit Limited and Dialed In Limited. the only "90's" games i have left are Bride of Pinbot and WhiteWater.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Could not say better. 1000% Dialed In.

#9 6 years ago

I am debating selling my STLE and getting one of these two or SW. Need to see some more info about SW before I make a decision.

#10 6 years ago

Dialed In for sure. Seems like it is gaining a lot more love and respect since the initial reveal. What amazed me was the underside of the playfield and all the mechs hanging there.

#11 6 years ago

AFM is great, but between the two my choice would be Dialed In.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The AFM rule set, while slightly better than MM...

In what way?

Go DI...it's new, deep, and fun!

#13 6 years ago

I only had room for one. Sold my STLE and now I have both on the way. Equally excited for both of them!

#14 6 years ago

I'd say as long as you don't have an issue with the theme (like I do), DI is going to have more toys/gimmicks than AFM and deeper rules, I would assume. So it may hold up better over the long term for home use for someone that has a 2-3 pins.

#15 6 years ago

I played both at TPF and was so impressed with AFMr that I ordered one even though I originally had no intention of buying another machine. It's an all-time classic for a reason. Humor can be very powerful when used effectively. Having said that I also enjoyed DI so you will get a fun game no matter which one you choose.

#16 6 years ago

Own afm and love it but di offers much more to experience like the rgb lightshow, 5 magnets, deeper code, lots of toys, 3 flippers with lots of shots and unique layout. Afm is a favorite of mine but i think dile will be top dog in my collection.

#17 6 years ago

Both!

19511534_10158928819835300_4051055831225375011_n (resized).jpg19511534_10158928819835300_4051055831225375011_n (resized).jpg19437439_10158928821955300_6940165757670954114_n (resized).jpg19437439_10158928821955300_6940165757670954114_n (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

You'll have to tell us which one you prefer, once you've had them for a couple of weeks.

#19 6 years ago

I just went through this same decision and I went with DI and cancelled my AFMR. I had a high end restored AFM a few years back and loved the game, but I want something new and fresh. Good news is both will be around for a long time so I can get and AFMR next year if I want.

#20 6 years ago

C'mon, you gotta add a poll for a thread like this!

#21 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. This might be early but is anyone selling di le under msrp. Or 9 k is the price and nothing lower . Thanks again

#22 6 years ago

Depends on what you are looking for. I offer free shipping for the US Armed Forces (past and present) and I double the factory warranty for you.

#23 6 years ago

Make sure you go and play the hell out of Dialed In. Honestly I'm not a fan of that game personally. I'd rather have Hobbit or wait for next JJP. AFMRLE is the way to go if you ask me. I'm super excited about getting one. I know what I'm getting into with AFMR.

Just make sure you play the heck out of Dialed In. The gimmicky Phone integration isn't for me. If you wait a little while I'm sure you'll see a HUO or lightly routed game for way less.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

As usual, TigerLaw is spot on. Plus, a 2 pin lineup looks great when they're the same manufacturer (i.e. 2 JJP games) and would look a little off if it was WOZ + AFM. WOZRR+DILE for the win!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

The gimmicky Phone integration isn't for me.

Please elaborate...

(Not being snarky, would seriously like more info)

#26 6 years ago

I didn't get a chance to play dialed in at Pagg, but of the games I did play, afmr was the clear standout. I had no intention of buying a pin anytime soon until I saw and played that one. I hated woz, so I can't say dialed in would be better just because it is newer tech. Theme and known gameplay make afmr really hard to beat.

#27 6 years ago

I had never played either game until SFGE earlier this month... DI all the way.
AFMr was kinda boring to me and I've owned RFM which is the same shots but in a lot funner setup IMO.
But I will say I was considering buying a DI until I played Houdini and then it was DI who?

#28 6 years ago

Dialed In's have not been available to play enough to really make a good decision between the two. Some people are picking DI based on "newer tech", and others are disregarding it. But playing a game for 30 minutes at a show really is not enough time to make a good call IMO.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Dialed In's have not been available to play enough to really make a good decision between the two. Some people are picking DI based on "newer tech", and others are disregarding it. But playing a game for 30 minutes at a show really is not enough time to make a good call IMO.

I've found shows to be some of the worst places to evaluate a game. The sound usually isn't loud enough, oftentimes the games aren't set up well and you get very limited time on the new games.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

AFMr was kinda boring to me and I've owned RFM which is the same shots but in a lot funner setup IMO.

I disagree with you!

#31 6 years ago

The best part is that both games are great. You really can't go wrong either way.
We had the same choice and went with AFMr LE.
Excited as hell that they will be shipping out next week.
The new super large display with high res color graphics and the amazing sound and quality of AFM are what sold us.
Also having Loyd the Great from here on Pinside backing up the tech support is awesome as well.
2 year warranty on a pinball... unheard of until now.

#32 6 years ago

Going against the grain here. Afmr. Dialed in looks great and I had fun with it at the show. But the presentation of afmr is just top notch. Plays fantastic and the presentation is quite modern. Always a crowd pleaser. And being a few bucks less helped seal the deal.

#33 6 years ago

I'll have to answer next week. I love AFM, so that's an easy one. However, I still haven't played Dialed In yet. But next week is Pintastic, so I'll play it and finally be able to make the comparison.

#34 6 years ago

I feel your joy and....pain!! Just did two of these tonight and took 3 hours!! I'm so beat that I only played a few games and am about to go to bed.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is all very true and i own afm and mm ..... but man di is just a step above in just about every category. Which is to be expected when you have older pins compared to a brand new jjp pin designed by pat l and programming by ted e. Yea afmr has updated graphics over the original but nothing to change the overall game under glass. Dont get me wrong afm is great(my favorite) but for the price of a new one i just think dile offers much more. Glad i got my nice modded afm for a steal compared to these new ones bc im not sure id pay over 7500 for a afm bc there isnt much there for that.

#36 6 years ago

Easy choice for me, I've owned to AFM's over the years, while a fun game, just didn't have staying power for me. I've been lucky enough to have gotten many hours of high quality time on a DI prototype, it is great, and once you understand the story, the theme is actually really fun.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I feel your joy and....pain!! Just did two of these tonight and took 3 hours!! I'm so beat that I only played a few games and am about to go to bed.

Dialed In! weighs a god damn ton. AFMr no problem setting up solo but needed help from my brother in-law for the DI. Shipping invoice says it's around 350lbs.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Dialed In! weighs a god damn ton. AFMr no problem setting up solo but needed help from my brother in-law for the DI. Shipping invoice says it's around 350lbs.

AFMr Standard = $6499 @ 250lbs = $26/lb

DI Standard = $8000 @ 350lbs = $23/lb

Clearly, DI is the better choice.

#39 6 years ago

I have a lot of time in on the DI at Silverball Museum which is just down the street from my office. I really wanted to like it, but remain lukewarm.

If I had to make a choice I would take the AFMR with the big screen and light up saucers.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

AFMr Standard = $6499 @ 250lbs = $26/lb
DI Standard = $8000 @ 350lbs = $23/lb
Clearly, DI is the better choice.

Ok that's pretty damn funny.

#41 6 years ago

Since you are leaning AFM go with the standard, its cheaper and its a great classic pin.

You can always rotate it out later for a DI if you get tired of it. Less $$ risk.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Since you are leaning AFM go with the standard, its cheaper and its a great classic pin.
You can always rotate it out later for a DI if you get tired of it. Less $$ risk.

YES- AFMr standard @ $6,500 is much safer money wise. DI Standard @ $8,000 or the LE @ $9,000 could take a larger secondary market hit.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't know about the $$ risk..... the second buyer of any pin is (98% of the time) a home buyer, and looking around this website most home buyers want all the toys and shiny flashing things (myself included). For example, without the home market ColorDMD wouldn't exist and probably would have ever started up in the first place.

Agree on the cheaper part, but there may be less demand for the lower model......

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Agree on the cheaper part, but there may be less demand for the lower model......

Plus you're going to want to drop an extra $400 for the color upgrade, unless you're happy with orange dots. Who the heck wants to look at those ghastly old orange dots? So really the classic is closer to 7k than you think. May as well go for the SE at that point for the larger screen, sound upgrades, shaker, and saucer upgrades.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Plus you're going to want to drop an extra $400 for the color upgrade, unless you're happy with orange dots. Who the heck wants to look at those ghastly old orange dots? So really the classic is closer to 7k than you think. May as well go for the SE at that point for the larger screen, sound upgrades, shaker, and saucer upgrades.

Yep a standard after color and shipping will b 7200-7300. Or get a se for around 7600-7700 shipped. Or you cld get a nice modded original for 6-7k like i did a year ago.. Lots of choices for sure but id still go with a di standard for around 8200 -8300 shipped.....

#46 6 years ago

I'm on this fence too and I have an mmr which people say has many similarities to afmr.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I'm on this fence too and I have an mmr which people say has many similarities to afmr.

In your case, I would recommend DI over AFMr. Your collection is too small to have both MMR and AFMr

#48 6 years ago

Aside from saving on shipping by picking up myself, how much flexibility is there on Jersey Jack games?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

DI will be an unlimited lifetime run.

They will be plentiful and much cheaper on the secondary market, like Hobbit or Woz for that matter.

However, if you don't care about taking a loss, and anybody buying an $8k plus pin shouldn't, then what does it matter?

Buy what you like and don't worry about it.

You will lose $$$ on just about every pinball machine purchased today when you go to sell it on the secondary market. So what if you love pinball and can get the "play value" out of it in the meantime.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Aside from saving on shipping by picking up myself, how much flexibility is there on Jersey Jack games?

Not much really AFAIK, but some vendors like Kingpin Games can offer things like free shipping for veterans and will double the factory warranty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-remake-or-di-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.