Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I've had this game for about three months now, and even though I'm pretty consistent on my other machines, I find that here my game is going to either be great or really terrible. It's usually terrible. It's like I'm bi-polar at this game. Is it just me, or is anyone else like this at Attack From Mars?

#2 11 years ago

Is it because you are focusing on the saucer? This can be a real drain, mix it up and make sure you are collecting ramps and ball locks too!

#3 11 years ago

If you truly are the King of Tron, you should have no problems with AFM.

#4 11 years ago

Don't let it make ya crazy!....wanna sell it?

#5 11 years ago

AFM is really the only game I own that I'm consistently good at. I'm by no means a great player. But it may be because I've put more games on it than anything else and I know the shots and rules really good. I also don't think it is a very difficult game. Don't get me wrong, I haven't RTU (been close) and I don't have any crazy high scores, but I can often start the game up cold, play a game for quite a while, and finish a lot of the objectives. STTNG, IM, and TSPP chew me up and spit me out much more often than AFM.

#6 11 years ago

I've only had mine playable for about ten days, but my games depend a lot on how the bounces off the force field/UFO go. I'm playing with the strategy of the first two saucers are destroyed directly, then use multiball to attack the rest of them. Some games, I'll get two bad bounces, and I'll drain a couple balls during those first two saucers. Others, everything goes well, and I'll end up with four saucers complete. I've yet to complete the 5th saucer. I've completed all the objectives except Conquer Mars during a few different games.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

So I've had this game for about three months now, and even though I'm pretty consistent on my other machines, I find that here my game is going to either be great or really terrible. It's usually terrible. It's like I'm bi-polar at this game. Is it just me, or is anyone else like this at Attack from Mars?

I'd say that this was my experience as well. Had a hard time hitting my shots consistently, and when you don't hit your shots on AFM it feels clunky. Kept at it....eventually got RTU, and once I got it, I got it again 3 or 4 more times in the next month, so I did get better....but still could have horrifyingly terrible games!

#8 11 years ago

AFM is one of the few games that a newb can walk up to and have a good game. Its all about reaction times and reflexes, and less about studying complex rules. For example my 13 yr old daughter who lives with us only alternating weekends, plays maybe 2/3 games per month. Last Friday night, she walks in the door, goes downstairs and scores 11.5 Billion. No biggie.

That's what I like about this game. It is unique among titles of its era (except MM).

#9 11 years ago

I have new playfield, white rubbers and it plays super fast. Not clunky at all. Some games are over seriously quickly and others are great, epic games. But for me no consistency at all but I love this game! Got a shaker as well that so adds to the experience. A great game on AFM is an adrenalin fest

#10 11 years ago

I used to focus on the Mothership but now I mix it up a bit - I do admit I have the rules down. I added the shaker mod too. I like the fact that it shakes everytime i hit the mothership.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Is it because you are focusing on the saucer? This can be a real drain, mix it up and make sure you are collecting ramps and ball locks too!

Not so much the saucer, I've conquered Mars quite a few times now. It's the Super Jackpot and the 5-way combo that kill me.

#12 11 years ago

Similar experience to the OP. Love the game, but still suck at it.

Here's a general question...

When the ball ejects from the SOL, where is it supposed to be aimed? Mine seams to consistently hit about 1-2 inches to the left of the left flipper (striking the metal bar under the plastics). Is it supposed to be aimed at the left flipper? How do you adjust it?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Similar experience to the OP. Love the game, but still suck at it.
Here's a general question...
When the ball ejects from the SOL, where is it supposed to be aimed? Mine seams to consistently hit about 1-2 inches to the left of the left flipper (striking the metal bar under the plastics). Is it supposed to be aimed at the left flipper? How do you adjust it?

Mine hits the left flipper directly head on, and I recently discovered that letting it hit and bounce off will send it up and back down the right inlane allowing 2 free Stroke of Luck lights. Not too sure about how to adjust it, but maybe the scoop needs to be tightened?

#14 11 years ago

Just work those orbits to max first and then a 5-way combo isn't so bad. In can be a pain though, especially when you look down and all the other blue lights are lit except it...dammit!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

When the ball ejects from the SOL, where is it supposed to be aimed?

I adjusted mine to hit the left flipper. You can then do a live catch and if you aren't totally successful, it will roll up the left inlane and allow you to cradle the ball or get a shot from the left flipper.

#16 11 years ago

My SOL eject was also hitting the inlane guide to the left of the flipper, and I ended up notching the hole on the VUK bracket so that I could rotate the VUK. Having the ball go out of control on every kickout made playing well nearly impossible.

#17 11 years ago

Use super skill shots to drop the force field and never go for the saucer unless in mb. Learn to backhand the lock shot and MBs come easily.

SOL Kickout needs to be right or you'll be fighting the game.

#18 11 years ago

I chunk the first 2 cities off before anything else. Only a couple shots and you get the extra ball, then start working other areas.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I chunk the first 2 cities off before anything else. Only a couple shots and you get the extra ball, then start working other areas.

Exactly. I do the skill shot on the initial plunge and try to hit the force field to drop it right away. If you drain, the ball saver is still on and you get the ball back. Get two cities saved and get the extra ball. After that I usually try to get multiball lined up.

#20 11 years ago

I love me the "Total Annihilation".

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Exactly. I do the skill shot on the initial plunge and try to hit the force field to drop it right away. If you drain, the ball saver is still on and you get the ball back

Yeah skill shot is a must.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 21.50
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.