Topic poll

“AFM or TOM”

• AFM 77 votes
    79%
  • TOM 20 votes
    21%

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

investment helmet.jpg
EF.jpg
pinsideinvestment.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Which is a better investment? I might have an opportunity to buy one of these machines, can't afford both. Both are in great shape. I'm torn between them. Actually I'm leaning towards AFM but it is more money to buy. Looking for opinions. Thx

#2 4 years ago

Not sure about investment, but I'd buy the one you like to play more. Have you played them both?

--Luke

#3 4 years ago

For gods sake stop using pinball as an investment tool!

#4 4 years ago

AFM is the better game, but I like TOM a lot. Investment; whom knows.

#5 4 years ago

Same as above. Don't make a mistake here. AFM>>>TOM

#6 4 years ago

Neither is an investment....AFM is more fun...

#7 4 years ago

If you can't afford both, you shouldn't buy either.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_rookie:

Which is a better investment?

Apple stock back in 1980.

#9 4 years ago

two of my favorite games but have to lean towards AFM

#10 4 years ago

AFM destroys TOM in every possible important way.

#11 4 years ago

Is this a trick question??? ToM can't compete with AFM

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

As an investment? I think it could.

I think it's silly to view them as investments.

But I will make this statement that may or may not be true...

"I don't think AFM will be going up in price and TOM may"

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_rookie:

Which is a better investment? I might have an opportunity to buy one of these machines, can't afford both. Both are in great shape. I'm torn between them. Actually I'm leaning towards AFM but it is more money to buy. Looking for opinions. Thx

Don't fret Rookie, I once used the word investment on pinside too...pinsideinvestment.jpg

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Well when you have to consider the price diff'rence it can to a lot of folks.

#15 4 years ago

AFM is the most likely candidate for a remake after MMR is done right? Does that factor in?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

AFM is the most likely candidate for a remake after MMR is done right? Does that factor in?

I'm guessing it would depending on if you want color DMD or not.

#17 4 years ago

If you look at this as an investment, you're going to get burned.

Only buy to play.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

i would think so if it happens. I'm not a big fan of buying NIB but the afm he's looking at is likely that price or higher. be interesting to see what happens with the original mm price when the new ones are flowing smoothly into the field.

#19 4 years ago

Investment? LOL! Well, with AFMr looming I'd bet that TOM is the better "investment" by far.

#20 4 years ago

Both games are great, but I'd honestly go with ToM. Here's why:

AFM is great, it's got a great ruleset, fantastic modes and a thrilling game experience. However, from my experience with the game, it does get boring quickly. I remember playing it the first time and getting around 13,000,000,000. I felt like the a pinball God. I thought it was luck, played another game, got just over 14,000,000,000. I don't get less than 10,000,000,000 now, and I've only played AFM about 50 times. It's too easy. Center shot, powerfield down, kill the UFO. Exactly the same for Wizard Mode. There's no variation to the game. Sure, there are the other modes, but the point is that the main mode is TOO easy to get through. Besides, I'm not a big fan of the playfield. The artwork is great, but there is a serious deficit of toys and gimmicks. The only thing marvelously unique about AFM is that it has the UFO LED mod, which actually requires an additional board.

ToM, on the other hand, my favourite game. I'm hoping to get my dirty paws on it soon (either that or TAF). It's such an adventurous game, honestly never gets boring. It also requires quite a bit of skill. I mean, fair enough, you can get through the modes anyway even if you miss the skillshots, but if you can master ToM you'll honestly have the time of your life playing this game. Modding capabilities are amazing, the game itself is wonderful (rated #1 by me, die-hard JPop fan), ColorDMD support, looks sick as tits with LED lighting. I only managed to break the 1,000,000,000 highscore after about 30 games.

ToM over AFM anyday, although I love both of them.

#21 4 years ago

AFM is superior to TOM IMO. TOM may be more accessible and easy for those that don't play pin a lot but for that do I think most would agree AFM is the better all around pin.

#22 4 years ago

ToM gets boring quickly, very much so in a small collection--I'd skip it. And, as it has been noted, pinball usually makes for a lousy investment.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

I don't get less than 10,000,000,000 now, and I've only played AFM about 50 times. It's too easy. Center shot, powerfield down, kill the UFO. Exactly the same for Wizard Mode. There's no variation to the game. Sure, there are the other modes, but the point is that the main mode is TOO easy to get through.

Can't agree with you there. The "other modes" are the only way to get to the Wizard mode, which is "the main mode."

No offense, but 10 billion is not a good score.

#24 4 years ago

AFM is an iconic game consistently at the top of game rankings. Both are very popular and I reccommend choosing the theme you like better.

#25 4 years ago

Forget them both ... and get a Scared Stiff ...

#26 4 years ago

For sure 100% AFM, not to say TOM is a dog or anything but for replayability(even though this isn't a word according to spell-check) get an AFM

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing it would depending on if you want color DMD or not.

Ive been playing an afm with colordmd at a bar for atleast a year now.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

Ive been playing an afm with colordmd at a bar for atleast a year now.

Both TOM and AFM support color DMD. My reference was to remakes.

#29 4 years ago

I own theatre, but love AFM.

They are both excellent choices.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

AFM destroys TOM in every possible important way.

Except looks.

#31 4 years ago

They are both good games, AFM is better.

And I'd view either as a safe investment.

#33 4 years ago

EF Hutton says buy TOM, hands down. There have been merger talks recently and shares in TOM have jumped 8% this past month alone. While neither pin offers a dividend at this time, AFM is trading at above average pe ratio. once earnings plummeted. Look for heavy involvement from the South American contingency as the value of their currency is up and they are looking to pull investments out of the non-traditional commodities business (pinball) and move them into emerging markets. AFM is expected to slide further through next Spring, while TOM is poised to recognize double digit growth.

#34 4 years ago

EF.jpg

#36 4 years ago

Blue Horseshoe loves AFM

#37 4 years ago

TOM is a blast. AFM is great. id take TOM. AFM probably better resale.

#38 4 years ago

Both were fun to play in the 90s.

#39 4 years ago

Are you looking to buy and store and sell in 10 years ? As an investment you can get a TOM cheaper and they will never remake it. AMF is more expensive and in 10 years the probability is higher that PPS will remake it is higher. I would say spend the 4500-5500 on TOM now and odds are it will hold its value or drop/increase with the general market at a rate that you won't loose significant value, AMF IS a $6500-8500 game (or more if really nice) that if remade may drop a bit in value. But who cares about investment. Just buy a Tron w/mods for $5900 and have fun!! It's better than both.

#40 4 years ago

I've heard that a Roth IRA is a good investment. You should look into it.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I've heard that a Roth IRA is a good investment. You should look into it.

duhhhhh ....every good investment banker will tell you ...... you can't play a Roth IRA.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

duhhhhh ....every good investment banker will tell you ...... you can't play a Roth IRA.

I know, I just can't keep it shut when people pipe up about "investing" in pinball. I need to throw that in the irrationally hate thread....

1 week later
#43 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Blue Horseshoe loves AFM

i don't even know what that means but you still get a thumbs up, chuck

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

i don't even know what that means but you still get a thumbs up, chuck

Wall Street reference.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apple stock back in 1980.

Pfff... try Berkshire Hathaway.

1 week later
#46 3 years ago

Now that I have my brand new pinball investors overeactor protection system I am quite pleased to tell you I just invested in an afm last tuesday. It's going to be a great investment. In fact I am so confident in my current pinball machine investment strategy that i am rolling my 401k, roth and franklins templetons over into this streamlined portfolio.

OK let's hear it again...investment helmet.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 399.95
5,500 (Firm)
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 30.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 47.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside