Topic poll

“Which machine do you prefer?”

• AFM 57 votes
    59%
  • ST Prem 40 votes
    41%

(97 votes)

#1 7 years ago

Assuming similar pricing on both, which machine would you rather have in a smaller collection? I can't seem to figure out what to put next to LOTR.

#2 7 years ago

I will probably be in the minority here - but AFM is twice the game of ST. I had a STLE and it was a gorgeous machine, but is so repetitive. AFM is just a timeless theme, plays like butter and is overall amazing.

#3 7 years ago

Do you like old fun or new fun. They're both great games.

#4 7 years ago

All the fun, just trying to figure out of the new fun holds up to the old fun, and vice versa

#5 7 years ago

AFM is perfection in simplicity. Especially when you get it at a good, steep, fast angle.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

All the fun, just trying to figure out of the new fun holds up to the old fun, and vice versa

You really need to play them both. Theme may have something to do with your choice. AFM also has humor going for it.

#7 7 years ago

I've played both, maybe looking for some input from folks who owned ST, since I have ruled the universe once or twice

What's a decent price for AFM right now?

#8 7 years ago

Sold my STLE and funded AFM. So far very happy with that decision. AFM does seem easier. Can't really go wrong with this decision.

#9 7 years ago

I love both, I would go ST
you said youve ruled the universe a few times on AFM
Try getting to Enterprise Amok or 5 Year Mission on ST... that will keep ya busy for a long time!
I can get to kobayashi maru maybe 7 out of 10 tries since I got my ST but havent even sniffed the next two wizard modes...
lots of strategy on how to play ST with your missions that can keep it fresh for a long ass time.
Do you go 3 deep on a mission right away to get a 2x shot for the remainder of the game, or do you just try to beat all mission level 1s to get to KM right away, trying to time warp 9.1 double scoring with kobayashi maru is a big challenge...

I love AFM and hope to own one someday, but ST is just great fun and limitless replayability for me

#10 7 years ago

Ouch! Usually when someone posts a "vs" thread, it has a clear answer in my head. The game I'd pick over the other(s). But in this case, there is no clear winner. They are both good games, and my mood would sway me more than the games themselves.

Whichever game you choose, it will be a winner.

#11 7 years ago

AFM is a better game.
ST is technically superior, but lacks the soul (and possibly that Lyman coding touch) of AFM.

#12 7 years ago

If your primary criterion is which will maintain your interest longer, I personally would recommend ST too. I love playing my Premium and I think it is more challenging as well as has better code, visuals and audio than AFM.

AFM is certainly a good game and seems to have more mass appeal, but I think it's a bit overrated as one of THE supposed top pinball games.

#13 7 years ago

This really is a close one, still AFM clearly wins for me.

Not that ST is a bad game in any way, I love it. But it does slightly suffer from it's code that's trying to be more than it is:
6 missions not enough? Make 'em play them three times.
People timing out modes? Stop the timer when the ball is cradled. Some aspects of the ruleset seem very much like a workaround.

AFM does pretty much exactly the opposite: It embraces the simplicity of it's ruleset and lives from it's catchiness. I think AFM is as basic as modern pinball can get with it's symmetric fan layout and almost complete lack of toys. But it just works, and it works really well.

#14 7 years ago

I was in a very similar position many years ago, my first pin being lotr and my second being afm... I now also have st prem (along with woz, sm, and gotle). Afm is an awesome game, approachable for the novice, fast, fun, and deservedly a classic. However, in a small collection of two pins, and to complement your lotr, I think st is more dynamic, deeper game, with more staying power and a third flipper to change things up a bit. Theme integration is great in st (if you're into the star trek thing, especially the new movies), perhaps only surpassed by lotr and ij. It's truly a fantastic pin and currently both mine and my wife's favorite, but definitely not as approachable for the novice (starting modes is tough - aside from the freebie at ball start - and there's a lot going on). I'd go with st as the next purchase (plus you can get one nib, and finding a mint afm is tough and likely more expensive)

#15 7 years ago

AFM... I don't even have the think about it...

#16 7 years ago

I had both ST Premium and AFM at the same time. ST is gone and AFM will be among the last to leave....
Acutally, need to edit this - just strucka deal to get ST Premium back in again.
ST Premium went out once but AFM never has nor will it ever...

#17 7 years ago

Have both in the collection. AFM is a wonderfully balanced game, and ever better if you like the humor. ST has that "just one more game" feel to it, it's a workout to play. Photo-finish for me, can't pick a true winner.

#19 7 years ago

I love ST Premium enough that I ordered one. The lighting, flow, and rules are top notch. ST might hold your interest longer in a small collection because it's unlikely you will beat it unless you are a highly skilled player (which you may be). Having said that, out of all the older games AFM is by far my favorite. Wonderful theme, callouts, and shots. And as others have already mentioned the humor in AFM adds to the fun. It has that perfect tounge-in-cheek whimsical feel which doesn't take itself too seriously, which is very desirable. You really can't go wrong either way. Play both and get the one you like best!

#20 7 years ago

It's not even close. I owned a ST pro & later on picked up a ST Premium. Both were very fun pins. But AFM is pinball perfected! It's fast it's funny & it's easy to learn, but yet hard to master.

#21 7 years ago

Both will become repetitive and eventually boring in time so I would go with AFM as it doesn't come that often and when ur done with that pick up a ST which you could get in the pro version and still have a good experience, I had a STLE and I've owned AFM both are damn fun pins so you can't go wrong.

#22 7 years ago

AFM is much better than ST and ST:TNG is much better than ST.

#23 7 years ago

Every time I played ST (Stern) I thought "Ohhh, shiney....!"

Every time I play AFM, I think "Worth every dollar"

FWIW, as an owner, I do think AFM is one of the most overpriced pins out there. It is NOT worth $6500 - $9500. Absolutely ridiculous that people (like me) are paying that kind of money.

The fun factor though and the sheer level of social magnetization the game is when people come over is utterly undeniable. It is the ONLY game I'll ever pay silly money for (subjective definition, I know). There's a reason people pay crazy money for it, there's a reason it is hold the rank it does here at Pinside, there's a reason PAPA made trophies with the martian on it, there's a reason it's such a future remake rumored pin: it is an incredibly fun game with an original theme, great sounds and music, right balance of difficulty, and just an overall blast to play and enjoy.

#24 7 years ago

Had a AFM for 15 years and recently sold. I have a ST pro . IMO AFM is a better game but after owning soooooo long it was time a change . I personally feel on this title the pro is the way to go as you can pick up a real nice used one for 4500 and the premium is not worth the extra 2k.. If your willing spend 6k plus for a ST Premium spend a little more and get a AFM instead.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

AFM is much better than ST and ST:TNG is much better than ST.

And Mustang is better than ST:TNG, and bourbon is better than scotch, and purple is better than orange, and ...

#26 7 years ago

AFM is the clear better game. True classic and great fun. Problem is that you have to pay premium money even for a players condition and it's still a 20 year old game. I much prefer the idea of getting a great, brand new Stern game for less money.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

AFM is the clear better game. True classic and great fun.

I disagree, while AFM is great the bad humor gets old fast and while it has good code like most 90's dmd's its relatively simple where as ST is on a different level with very deep code and much better sound and shots, for me I love to play AFM but would rather own ST.

#28 7 years ago

Slight edge to AFM. Nostalgic and awesome.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

And Mustang is better than ST:TNG, and bourbon is better than scotch, and purple is better than orange, and ...

And it is all just an opinion...

#30 7 years ago

Exactly

#31 7 years ago

ST might challenge you more long-term but agreed that it's definitely not as charming (or creative) as AFM. However, if you've already ruled the universe a couple times, AFM might get stale for you. It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other - AFM has clever writing and great humor, but it's relatively shallow compared to ST, but ST is way more sterile and corporate.

#32 7 years ago

ST stayed longer than TAF in my house. So it was second to last in staying power. Maybe lasted 5 months?

Those callouts are terrible and repetitive.

Enterprise Amok is the same as the Avatar final battle wizard mode. Nothing great. Again, the callouts, they're so bad.

I don't know how long AFM would last though either. I haven't had a desire to play that game since I ruled the universe.

If you have a LOTR I would pick something with shorter faster ball times. TWD, Met, IM, Tron, etc.

#33 7 years ago

This is a tough one, a real classic just open fun game like AFM or the new ST which I really enjoy by Stern as it has great flow and shot selection for a newer game. I am not a Star Trek big fan but games plays so well. I do enjoy the AFM call outs and all shots it has to offer as well and it's my girlfriends favorite game. Widebody versus standard as well. I can't fully decide at the moment. It has been hard for me to like a lot of Sterns games but i do like ST so might be my choice as its a new game.

#34 7 years ago

AFM is one of the few games I played and thought "I've got to have it". AC/DC was probably the same.

I wouldn't mind a Star Trek but it's not on my "must have" list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-or-st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.