• AFM 111 votes
    48%
  • Iron Maiden 121 votes
    52%

(232 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Can't decide which to buy..

#2 4 years ago

No comparison to me. AFM all the way.

#3 4 years ago

Both great games but AFM is just more fun to play

#4 4 years ago

To me it comes down to your history; Have you played AFM a million times over the last 30+ years? If so get IMDN

#5 4 years ago

Can't lose either way. I had the same choice and went Maiden, super pin.

#6 4 years ago

Iron Maiden for me I love AFM as well but Iron Maiden has more strategies you can play deeper code.

#7 4 years ago

AFM is historic and a classic. But holy hell does it get boring after awhile. Its a great game in a bigger collection and great for noobs/kids/etc.

Iron Maiden is far and away the winner here for a skilled pinball player or somebody who is looking for a game with deep rules. The theme seems to be the only turn-off for some people but if that isn't an issue for you... UP THE IRONS!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveF-Detroit:

Both great games but AFM is just more fun to play

Yeah, no its not.
I would go Maiden if u like the band. As great as it is if was themed Bon Jovi I would want to play it. In fact in that case I would like to light it on fire.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from nkowalskiw:

Can't decide which to buy..

Taking your current lineup into consideration: IMDN

Not taking your current lineup into consideration: IMDN

#10 4 years ago

This is a tough choice for me. I own both and can't decide which I'd let go of if I was forced to. IMDN has the code depth, music, and, audio. Both have great flow and fun themes. I would sure miss strobe multiball and the jumping Martians (especially the big guy on top) on AFM. Right now I would lean very slightly to IMDN as the keeper.

#11 4 years ago

MAIDEN. FOREVER.

#12 4 years ago

Both are incredible games, but I'd lean AFM.

#14 4 years ago

Owned both but IMDN is still in my lineup. AFM got a bit stale after a few months. IMDN has so many ways to attack it unlike AFM. I will admit that AFMRLE is a beautiful game and that’s probably why it stayed as long as it did in my lineup.

#15 4 years ago

Iron Maiden.

#16 4 years ago

Afm is the full package, Cant go wrong.

#17 4 years ago

AFM for me, because the Iron Maiden theme doesn't appeal to me

#18 4 years ago

Wow seems pretty divided...I had a poll on the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to get bored with AFM just because I've played it ton's, but then again the wife likes it much more than IM.

#19 4 years ago

AFM is an all-time classic. IMDN is a really good game, but will it turn into an all-time classic? The theme may hold it back.

#20 4 years ago

Both, but slight edge to AFM

Maiden is more complex and has more shots but AFM has the best package of basic stuff then any machine ever and better toys.

#21 4 years ago

IMDN is on my prohibited to own list by orders of the Mrs. Same as TWD and BSD.

She doesn't play pinball but admits she like's AFM.

#22 4 years ago

AFM Remake by a landslide on my B 1/2 ... I sold IMDN Pro after owing it 1 week ... I had the Privilege to un-Box the Banker's AFMr and it was like a Blast from the Past ,, Pure B/W with New Technology .. And the game play of AFM Vs IMDN is Better ... JMHO ... Good Luck

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from nkowalskiw:

Wow seems pretty divided...I had a poll on the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to get bored with AFM just because I've played it ton's, but then again the wife likes it much more than IM.

I think if you have alot of experience on AFM, Iron Maiden would likely be the better choice for you.

Unless:

1. You love AFM - and can't get enough
2. Want a classic in your game room

Why one or the other? Any others you are considering?

#24 4 years ago

Can't go wrong with either but Maiden gets my vote. AFM is a great classic but gets repetitive to me. I really enjoy playing it on location when I can but don't feel like I want to play it for hours. A few games and I'm good moving on. With Maiden, I can get locked in and play all day. I don't care for the band but it's just fun to play with so much more to do than AFM. Love the four flippers, loops, spinners, and shots.

#25 4 years ago

Not even close. AFM by miles.

#26 4 years ago

While owning both, I'd give the fun factor and non-pinhead accessibility to AFM. That said, neither are leaving.

#27 4 years ago

Old AFM or remake? The remake has a much better display, but I need to wear sunglasses due to the mega-lumen play field (Adjustable?). Lots of opinions in the remake threads.

#28 4 years ago

AFM is the chosen one.

#29 4 years ago

MAIDEN, easily best choice

#30 4 years ago

attack from marzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Fun game in a 20 game lineup I guess?

#31 4 years ago

If you're an IMDN fan..game over its Maiden for sure.

If you aren't a Maiden fan. Think about it for a few minutes and then buy Maiden.

It's a great game. UP THE IRONS!!

#32 4 years ago

I'll reiterate what some have said. I played a lot of AFM on location, when it came out and whenever I could find one. One of the best games of all time. I've beaten it on location multiple times. I was finally able to afford one (years before the remake), restored it and had a blast with it. There isn't a ton to do and I was beating it regularly. It broke my heart to sell it, and I wish I had the room to have it forever. Iron Maiden is a breath of fresh air for pinball. There are so many games that play a lot like AFM, I can't think of anything else that plays like Iron Maiden. Buy a 2nd hand AFM remake at some point and play it for 6 months. Then sell it and buy an Iron Maiden. Or if you played a lot of AFM on location, skip it and go right for Maiden.

#33 4 years ago

They both play great. Straight up tho, I’d take an AFM (it’s a classic for a reason) UNLESS you’re an Iron Maiden fan. If you’re a big fan of the band and the lore I can’t see Maiden being beaten. It just plays so good.

#34 4 years ago

I have both side by side. IMDN reminds me of how great pinball is today and AFM reminds how great pinball has always been. Elwin and Eddy. Just Wow!

Highly recommend both, so can’t help you.

#35 4 years ago

I have both, and I would give the slight edge to AFM. You really can't go wrong with either one.

#36 4 years ago

Afm, classic family friendly theme

#37 4 years ago

Welcome back BR! Listen to him he knows his shit.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Afm, classic family friendly theme

Family friendly themes suck.

#39 4 years ago

Not a fan of the band but Iron Maiden is so good that it doesn't matter. Perfect balance of rules and shots. Long shots, short shots, ramps, loops, 4 flippers and balanced scoring with huge jackpots. The best part is that it can be attacked in so many ways that say, if your looping is on point you can focus on that, if you want to kill the ramps you can use that as a strategy. Modes, multiballs, spinners, nudging, skillshots, shatzing, risk/reward and wizard modes. You can go for high scores or achievement.

And there are very few cheap drains like you find in a lot of games - if you lost your ball, you know exactly what you did wrong to drain it. There is no ramp where the ball goes 75% up and then drains sdtm. There is no magnet randomness or pop bumper that sends the ball screaming helplessly down the outlane. There is no bullshit flipper gap, or unfair inlane to outlane rollover. There are no shots that become unfun to attempt because they are too tight and missing is instadeath.

This game was designed by the best player in the world and took years of thought and consideration, it's not some cookie cutter layout created by a team nor is it designed by someone retreading the same elements over and over in every new design. In short, it's a breath of fresh air from someone committed to delivering the best play elements to the best players.

All that being said just understand that the people that love this game, generally speaking, are people with a lot of experience playing a wide variety of games. The only non initiated who are attracted to this game are Iron Maiden fans. Most of your family, friends and kids are going to gravitate to something much more accessible. They aren't going to have the same kind of fun you will trying to crush the lower left spinner over and over in an effort to light REVIVE. They aren't going to go for Soul Shards, loop jackpots or Eddie cards.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

All that being said just understand that the people that love this game, generally speaking, are people with a lot of experience playing a wide variety of games. ... Most of your family, friends and kids are going to gravitate to something much more accessible.

Agree wholeheartedly with your entire post, and this is a good point I hadn't thought of. For someone who's basically seen & played it all over the last 20+ years, Maiden is the culmination of everything I'm looking for in pinball. Maybe you can't fully appreciate it if you haven't played all the great games it builds upon, and suffered through all the design mistakes it avoids. My wife is a casual player. I keep telling her "we have the best game of all time in our basement and you never play it." She just wants to blow up saucers & castles. And that's fine.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Family friendly themes suck.

Not really.....AFM by a mile....IM game is great, but the theme/music is horrible....lasted 30 days in my house

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Not really.....AFM by a mile....IM game is great, but the theme/music is horrible....lasted 30 days in my house

IMDN has a nice layout, perhaps a retheme to something like Rick and Morty or something not music band related?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It has a nice layout, perhaps a retheme to something like Rick and Morty or something not music band related?

If this game had a decent theme they would have sold 2-3X more units (its that good)....the theme blows

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

If this game had a decent theme they would have sold 2-3X more units (its that good)....the theme blows

I disagree. Never listened to Maiden before but the music is quite good for pinball and the themes of the modes as well.

Now true it could be better theme but imo the theme is a solid B+ considering the art and music.

#45 4 years ago

Maiden.

AFM has toddler rules and an empty playfield that looks like it was pieced together with leftover parts laying around the shop. AFM is the rolling stones game of B/W.

#46 4 years ago

AFM for me, which I just got.

Now if Iron Maiden was rethemed to Queen I’d flip my vote immediately. Just dont care for the music but I do like the game.

#47 4 years ago

Great call outs/game noises in IMDN (not as good as AFM though) that can be turned up and the horrible music turned down which helps.
Sure, not ideal when spending 5k+ on something but the game is so well.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Maiden.
AFM has toddler rules and an empty playfield that looks like it was pieced together with leftover parts laying around the shop. AFM is the rolling stones game of B/W.

Now thats funny!

#49 4 years ago

How exactly is IMDN "attackable" in so many different ways? I generally just start a mode and hit the flashing lights. Seems to be the same each time.?
I'm sure I'm missing something. I do enjoy it, but I guess I haven't fully grabbed the rules.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How exactly is IMDN "attackable" in so many different ways? I generally just start a mode and hit the flashing lights. Seems to be the same each time.?
I'm sure I'm missing something. I do enjoy it, but I guess I haven't fully grabbed the rules.

basically attacking any one of the four eddie cards can blow the game up if played well. or even just crushing loop jackpots with playfield multipliers.

the game doesn't have to be played with modes being the main focus... but i'll concede that it often is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-or-iron-maiden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.