(Topic ID: 194503)

AFM NVRAM upgrade gone wrong - game does not boot

By rygar

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have recently upgraded my AFM to NVRAM (my first WPC-95 NVRAM upgrade). I have upgraded several other WPC and WPC-S games before to NVRAM without any problems.When I ve installed NVRAM I did not notice that the game had the 62256 SRAM so I did not make the necessary changes to the CPU board to host a 6264 RAM (or in this case a FM1608-120-PG). After booting the game it did not boot correctly. I have performed the necessary jumper and resistor changes but the result remained the same (I have also put a 6264 RAM, but the symptoms remain the same).

When I power the game on it loops in the sequence:

On startup
1) led 201 and led 202 are lit (for appropriately 4 seconds)
2) led 202 is on, led 201 goes off, led 203 starts blinking (quickly about 5 times) and repeats this cycle a few times
3) I get two bongs while led 601 blinks 2 times
occasionally strobe lamp starts for a second and saucer shake coil fires.

The other sequence goes like this:

1) leds 201 and 202 are lit
2) led 3 blinks slowly 2 times
3) I get two bongs while led 601 blinks 2 times

I have verified continuity of the traces below NVRAM sockets and everything seems to be ok. I have also replaced S2 audio eprom on the sound board and I still get two bongs. If I put in another CPU board the game works ok.
I am out of ideas myself and would really appreciate some suggestions to help me successfully repair the CPU board.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I have upgraded the game to NVRAM in two steps. At first I have just installed the socket and put the NVRAM in. The game did not work so I have removed jumper W3 and (I do not why) replaced the original 1k ohm resistor R93 with 1.5k ohm resistor. Today I ve replaced the resistor R93 with original 1k ohm resistor, but the game still does not boot and according to pinwiki there is a problem with game RAM (led 201 is off, led 202 is on and led 203 blinks two times and I get two bongs).
Is it possible that I have fried something by putting 1.5k ohm resistor instead of a 1k ohm one?

#4 6 years ago

Haha, nevermind. I didn't read your original post close enough.

#5 6 years ago

The resistor value wouldn't damage anything but the repeated in and out of it could have damaged traces.

If the board is correctly jumpered for 6264 Ram, more than likely, you damaged a trace or a feed through plating when you removed the original chip.

If you still have the original ram, you could jumper for 256 and see if the board works.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

The resistor value wouldn't damage anything but the repeated in and out of it could have damaged traces.
If the board is correctly jumpered for 6264 Ram, more than likely, you damaged a trace or a feed through plating when you removed the original chip.
If you still have the original ram, you could jumper for 256 and see if the board works.

Thanks, I will try that. Unfortunatelly I have cut the original 256 out when installing the socket, but I have one in Safe cracker so I ll remove it from there and try it out in AFM.

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

I did put the 62256 SRAM from Safe Cracker in it and added the jumper at W3, but it still acts the same. So basically should I check the traces from top of the socket to their final destination?

#8 6 years ago

The pin at the socket may not be the final destination of each bus signal. A data or address line could pass through that spot and continue on. So, it's not only a matter of checking continuity to the socket, but to other devices further down the line.

But if the LED error condition is true, then it may only be a connection to the SRAM socket.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

16,500 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-nvram-upgrade-gone-wrong-game-does-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.