Home_(resized).jpg
photo-original_(resized).png
a-few-good-men-quotes_288x288-150x150_(resized).jpg
download_(2)_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
20160425_142401_(resized).jpg
b8a1de0a8b01f7386f015bf06d779411f4834643_(resized).jpg
20150319_215120_(resized).jpg
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

AFM is the pin that really got me hooked back in the day. I would love to have one, but I'm torn between paying the premium to find an original in good shape vs waiting on the potential of a AFMr. My concerns are how much patience that would require and the idea that colorDMD doesn't work on MMr and probably won't on an AFMr.
Oh ye who have been at this much longer than I, what is your sage wisdom? I'm sure there were some in this same dilemma with MM vs MMr, how has that worked out for you?

#2 8 years ago

Wait to see what PPS's second game is. It will be such a smoother purchase this time around. Order direct when it's in stock

#3 8 years ago

Can you wait for 3-4 years to get your AFMr? If not, get an original.

#4 8 years ago

Colour will be available on both MMr and AFMr - and most likely at a higher resolution than colordmd. The main issue is whether you're happy to wait for AFMr or get an AFM now and enjoy it.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

My concerns are how much patience that would require and the idea that colorDMD doesn't work on MMr and probably won't on an AFMr.

No, you are right colordmd doesn't work on MMR nor will it work on the next game (I'd be surprised if it wasn't AFMr) but they are making their color display even better and there have been some "CGC colored afm screenshots" floating around on pinside. If you haven't seen the color MMR promo clip here it is. Now if they would go ahead and release it so I can get it installed on my MMR that would be great lol

#6 8 years ago

So what are the realistic estimates on timeframe for PPS/CGC next remake? In 3-4 years I could save enough for a HEP AFM.

#7 8 years ago

Totally depends on your timeframe and what you want. If the game is the one that got you hooked, it might be a keeper for you. If that is the case, a nice original just can't be beat. You might lose a bit of value in it, but when it's a keeper, who cares? It's all about the fun at that point.

Personally, I'd wait a bit. The price of originals will come down if they announce a remake. At that point, strike on a nice original and don't look back.

#8 8 years ago

What do reasonable condition AFM machines sell for today? Aren't they somewhere around $7000 to $8000? If so aren't the remakes 8000? So why wait if you can get an original, it's about the same money. Or is it condition that's the issue?

#9 8 years ago

I'd just buy one today.

You could wait 3 years for the AFMr, but I'd rather being playing right now.

People are still waiting on their MMr to be delivered from years ago....

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd just buy one today.
You could wait 3 years for the AFMr, but I'd rather being playing right now.
People are still waiting on their MMr to be delivered from years ago....

I agree. Get it now and enjoy.

#11 8 years ago

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'll always take a restored original over a remake. You fell in love with the original, so that's the one you should own.

#12 8 years ago

IMO AFM is near perfection. Can get completely immersed in pinball zen on this game.

#13 8 years ago

Just cleaned mine today ready for league night.

20160424_160453_(resized).jpg20160424_160453_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

Waiting is stupid.

I've been playing 50 games a week on my Afm since I bought it 18 months ago. I was told to wait because of the fabulous afmR that was due to drop any minute.

If I feel like paying more money for an inferior reproduction and the sterling customer service PPS is becoming famous for, I can always sell mine and buy one several years from now when/if they actually ship.

For now I'll just stick with mine. Prospective buyers of the title may feel differently but pie in the sky is less fun to play than an actual pinball machine.

#15 8 years ago

I have had my AFM for well over ten years, and it is still my go to game. Who cares if they come down a grand when the remakes arrive? By then you will have had so much more than a grand worth of fun.

#16 8 years ago

Do not wait for an AFMr. I'm still waiting for my MMr, and I get the same BS message every time I ask. "There's some parts delays. Should be in a week or two."

#17 8 years ago

buy an original now. I'd buy an OG MM over a remake...

#18 8 years ago

Yea original is always the best way too go ,remakes are not the same at all

#19 8 years ago

Remake AFM wouldn't seem feasible. MB seems higher up on that list. I'd get one now. Wait for what...years? Like others have said, seller's rep seems less than stellar; to put it nicely.

#20 8 years ago

Don't wait or preorder machines buy what is out now. When they are shipping is the soonest I'd consider purchasing a pin.

#21 8 years ago

If in fact it is AFMR , I doubt it would be 3 yrs. And you guys that say the remake isn't as good is rediculous, I have a Mint original MM & a MMR and the remake is gorgeous and plays incredible. I can only imagine a brand spanking new AFM, the second game from PPS/CGC will be a much smoother ordeal.I'm waiting rather than paying 8-10k for a tired game or 12k for a HEP

#22 8 years ago

What makes you soooo sure the second game will be smoother?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

What makes you soooo sure the second game will be smoother?

Yeah...that's what they said about Hobbit, too.

#24 8 years ago

Buy now!
Picked up this HEP AFM Saturday from a friend. I absolutely love this pin!

IMG_20160423_145404202_(resized).jpgIMG_20160423_145404202_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160423_145418999_(resized).jpgIMG_20160423_145418999_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago

well, MMr has taken a lifetime to fill orders.
The hi-res display looks really awesome if/when that ever comes out.
I think AFM would be built a lot faster than MM assuming all the parts are ready when production starts.
I would wait for a remake myself. You've waited 21 years, what another couple?

#26 8 years ago

^^^^^^^ Heck with that. I'm playing mine this week. I suggest you get one rather than wait another 2 or 3 years.

20160406_212249_(resized).jpg20160406_212249_(resized).jpg

#27 8 years ago

It is a tough decision - i think if I was going to buy a MM now then I would want to buy the MMr over the MM. If you are good at fixing games then I would go for the AFM now, if not then I would wait. I restored my AFM about 7 years ago and it is not going anywhere.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

AFM is the pin that really got me hooked back in the day. I would love to have one, but I'm torn between paying the premium to find an original in good shape vs waiting on the potential of a AFMr. My concerns are how much patience that would require and the idea that colorDMD doesn't work on MMr and probably won't on an AFMr.
Oh ye who have been at this much longer than I, what is your sage wisdom? I'm sure there were some in this same dilemma with MM vs MMr, how has that worked out for you?

If someone has one for sale locally and you want it now, get an original. If you have patience, I'd wait a couple months and see what the next remake announcement is. PPS said there won't be a pre-order situation w/ the next one...when they announce it, it'll be ready to go. I have an MMr and love it. It might be worth waiting to see if AFM is the next remake (highly likely), and what the pricing and features are. If they do the color dots like MMr, that might shape your decision. Shaker + shaker code might sway you as well. Uncompressed audio track might be of interest to you.

#29 8 years ago

Buy one now and try not to overpay...then sell it and get the AFMr if you REALLY think colored dots are worth it.

#30 8 years ago

Live for the now

SM_048_(resized).jpgSM_048_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago

Buy one as soon as you find a nice example now and enjoy. I restored mine a few years ago as well and it is so much fun to play and won't be going anywhere if I have anything to say about it...

#32 8 years ago

I waited for mmr, then went and found an mm and pimped it out, can't do some of the custom things I did to my mm with a mmr... I say get an original, let the others get the remake

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

Get it now. Who knows how long before a remake, if at all. Wanted a LOTR. People said wait for the vault. That was 2 years ago. Been playing it since. Wanted a Monster Bash really bad. More people said wait for MBr. Pulled the trigger last year. We love it. Once it's restored and LED'd out, it looks like something that was made yesterday. I can't imagine not playing those games now. Don't miss out. Life can be full of unexpected turns. Enjoy it now.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Live for the now

SM_048_(resized).jpg

Agreed. You also have one of the nicest examples I've ever seen, especially with the customized LED colour scheme....absolutely stunning in comparison to stock.

If the rumoured AFMR is like MMR, I'm not sure you'll be able to make these type of changes to the lighting.

#35 8 years ago

I like how this thread has become AFM show and tell.

I wish someone would post some pics of their real piece of shit players AFM. Those are cool too.

#36 8 years ago

Original Is what I perfer plus you can have it now instead of a few years from now.

#37 8 years ago

I think original is the way to go. You can own it now!

Now here's a bunch of pics of my sweet AFM...We restored it to "vintage" condition, with lots of mods and add-ons to give it that genuine "played in feel." Really feels more authentic to me than a "Restored" game. Even though it cost me over $12,000 to get it here, it was worth it.

af_(resized).jpgaf_(resized).jpg

af2_(resized).jpgaf2_(resized).jpg

af3_(resized).jpgaf3_(resized).jpg

af4_(resized).jpgaf4_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now here's a bunch of pics of my sweet AFM...We restored it to "vintage" condition, with lots of mods and add-ons to give it that genuine "played in feel." Really feels more authentic to me than a "Restored" game. Even though it cost me over $12,000 to get it here, it was worth it.

af_(resized).jpgaf2_(resized).jpgaf3_(resized).jpgaf4_(resized).jpg

Its been loved thats for sure

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We restored it to "vintage" condition

It's a skill for sure. I particularly like what you've done to the inserts. Can you post a tutorial on that?

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its been loved thats for sure

A great testament to reliability too....still going strong after that many years

#41 8 years ago

1) No announcement for a remake has even been officially announced
2) MMr is in production and plenty of people are still waiting for it
3) You are likely to have to wait years before a remake comes out, even if it is announced today.
4) A nice original is going to cost just as much as a remake
5) Originals are available; a remake is just a pipe dream at the moment.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

3) You are likely to have to wait years before a remake comes out, even if it is announced today.

I don't think it will be years. Months perhaps. They have a working prototype. They have the parts on hand. And once Stern is rolling and up to speed, there won't be a move to a new building involved. So production will go quicker.

LTG : )

#43 8 years ago

Wait for the remake.

#44 8 years ago

Buy now when you have the opportunity to get a decent deal.
Then you can enjoy it and not have to wait.

When remakes ever get made, you can still decide if you want to sell the old and get a remake.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really nice work, there's some serious talent over there

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't think it will be years. Months perhaps. They have a working prototype. They have the parts on hand. And once Stern is rolling and up to speed, there won't be a move to a new building involved. So production will go quicker.

I hope they have plenty of light diffuser panels ready to go.

#47 8 years ago

I thought MMr lost the B/W feel. I would go original or nothing.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I would go original or nothing.

I've been hearing this more and more especially after the MMr debacle with all the issues, broken promises and the waitiing... did anyone mention the waiting? After MMr, remakes no longer make good sense.

#49 8 years ago

*DOUBLE POST* so good it posted it twice!

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There's no powder coated trim options on the next game either - which will probably help things along since the grape-vine says they had a lot of trouble with getting powder coated parts good enough to use.

But even if they build them faster the next time around, there's a LOT of bad mojo to try to overcome from MMR, so many things went poorly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 26.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.