• DI LE 100 votes
    60%

(168 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0364 (resized).JPG
100_0365 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

If you could only buy one of these. Which would you choose and what are your reasons for choosing it.

#2 6 years ago

this is tough. I have DI LE and get to play my friends AFM LE and they are both beautiful games, well built, and both play great. You really can't go wrong with either. If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose one I would go DI LE.

#3 6 years ago

I would go with AFMLE myself. Because I did.

Cheaper, awesome theme and history.

If you go to sell you shouldn't take as big a hit

People love DI too

#5 6 years ago

Both well built, different games.

If you enjoy AFM immensely, you won't go wrong buying it.
IMO, AFMr is everything AFM was, with some updating to make it hip with the kids.

I have never been crazy about AFM, could have pre-ordered, chose not to. DI seemed unique enough it was worth the pre-order risk.
A few weeks after DI pre-order played AFMr several times in Minneapolis beside a Dialed In. Was wowed by the DI in person more than AFM, went back and forth all night, ultimately was happy with DI pre-order and have not pulled the trigger on an AFM. (yet)

#6 6 years ago

Like others, I already made that choice and chose DI LE. I want to focus on the future of pinball. I have an MMR and that is the last remake I'll be buying, even though I acknowledge AFMR is a lovely machine.

#7 6 years ago

I voted AFMr. Fantastic machine, bright and snappy, great fun, simple rules, difficult to master!

I only smile while playing this one:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 6 years ago

I own an original AFM and have played DILE for probably an hour total so here's my take.

AFM is great for a number of reasons. It's a proven theme people like, it's fast, and it has some great flow. The only drawback I feel is there's not a lot to do on it. Destroy the saucer over and over, a few mini-modes like Martian Multiball, Big O Beam, etc. It can get rather repetitive but it's still a blast to play. Just like IM.

DILE on the other hand, has a theme that many feel is lackluster. Regardless, the game is extremely fun to play as many have noted. The shot layout is great and there are MANY different things to do. I've only scratched the surface in my limited playtime but I can already tell the game rules are much deeper than AFM. The lighting effects are second only to WOZ. And with the code continuing to be developed, I eagerly look forward to playing the game more. I'm still amazed at the depth of WOZ.

Personally, I would get DILE, even if I already didn't own AFM. AFMrLE does look nice though. Either way, you'll be getting a really fun game.

#9 6 years ago

Frankly I don't know how you choose...they are both great games, very well built, and a lot of fun....DILE is a little more expensive than the AFMLE (maybe $700) so maybe thats your deciding factor? It it was me I'd buy both, and mix it up a little.....

#10 6 years ago

Screw it. Get one of each. You deserve it.

LTG : )

#11 6 years ago

My vote is AFM. I own the AFMre and couldn't see trading it for the DI. I had the deposit on the CE and after playing it for an hour, I couldn't justify the price.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from BaggerVance:

My vote is AFM. I own the AFMre and couldn't see trading it for the DI. I had the deposit on the CE and after playing it for an hour, I couldn't justify the price.

I couldn't justify the price the CE either....so I went with the LE....zero regrets...pretty amazing pin

#13 6 years ago

I have both AFMr LE and DILE, if I had to choose between the two I would keep DILE.

#14 6 years ago

Have both(well a original afm) and di by a fair amount imo.... both are my favorite but di is just amazing in all aspects . Much more to do on di, tons magnet action, great code, amazing lighting, , neat toys, 3 flippers and much much more. Also not alot difference in price between both le but di offers much much more. I dont have no where near 8 k in my original and id still take di by fair margin.

#15 6 years ago

Both. You can't take one away from me. I will not let you. BOTH I SAY! BOTH!

#16 6 years ago

The answer is incredibly simple.

You take the money you'd spend on one then go to Vegas and go to the nearest roulette wheel and bet it all on black or red (or even or odd) and either you end up with the cash for both machines or neither.

Problem solved!!!! You're welcome!!!

But seriously I'm trying to decide if I should sell a nice TAF for a DI. And also if do should I go for a DI standard with PDI glass or an LE...... I don't have much room for multiple pins.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

The answer is incredibly simple.
You take the money you'd spend on one then go to Vegas and go to the nearest roulette wheel and bet it all on black or red (or even or odd) and either you end up with the cash for both machines or neither.
Problem solved!!!! You're welcome!!!
But seriously I'm trying to decide if I should sell a nice TAF for a DI. And also if do should I go for a DI standard with PDI glass or an LE...... I don't have much room for multiple pins.

I went through the same analysis on the DI LE vs. the standard. In the end I liked the blue powder coating, lighted ramps, printed manual, and the invisiglass...is it worth a grand...probably not, but its close...the nice thing with the AFMLE is you actually get a lot of value moving to the LE...i.e topper, blades, saucer LED's, and double the warranty....

#18 6 years ago

Attack From Mars is timeless. Had mine for 21 years HUO .

100_0365 (resized).JPG100_0365 (resized).JPG

100_0364 (resized).JPG100_0364 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

This is not helping..lol.. Would me having a RFM influence your decision on what machine to get. I've only ever played AFM virtually.
Guess playfield layout is not similar but they do share similar call-outs..

#20 6 years ago

I love AFM... had it in my stable for nearly 10 years. I sold it last week... too much ball time and finally I played it very rarely. If you have seen everything several times - great becomes normal. Saying that... AFM is super fun, but it is also a bit outdated (even the polished remake). With a Dialed In you will get "state of the art" in many ways, with a remake you will get a polished retro cash cow (exaggerated, risking some thumbs down ).

#21 6 years ago

Here's what you do, flip a coin as to which one you buy right now, then in a year or so when you have had ur time with it sell it and buy the other.

#22 6 years ago

This is a tough one. I am getting a DILE, but AFM is such a great game too. I have MMRLE, and in my small collection AFM is a little too similar to MM so I decided against it (had a chance to buy an original AFM for a great price about a year ago and passed).

You can't go wrong either way, but my vote is for DI.

#23 6 years ago

I own both and voted for AFM-R. It provides more energy and fun. Both are incredible.

#24 6 years ago

But... being even considered is a succees for AFM... it's literally a more than 20 years old machine (okay a bit polished). Dr. Who, which I like is not even close to be considered... the other way round... Dialed In! has problems to compete with an old toy...

#25 6 years ago

I’d grab an AFM LE while you still can, and grab a nice used DI down the road for a substantial savings and most likely fully cliffy’d.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

This is not helping..lol.. Would me having a RFM influence your decision on what machine to get. I've only ever played AFM virtually.
Guess playfield layout is not similar but they do share similar call-outs..

I like to upgrade to something more fun and/or a game that is new to me when I can. You have 12 pins in your collection. Are there a few that you like, but you don't play? Why not sell them and get something new to play?

Every game I have sold I have liked, but I don't miss any of them. So what I am getting at is - sell a couple of your least played games and get both. I bet you will not regret it.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I like to upgrade to something more fun and/or a game that is new to me when I can. You have 12 pins in your collection. Are there a few that you like, but you don't play? Why not sell them and get something new to play?
Every game I have sold I have liked, but I don't miss any of them. So what I am getting at is - sell a couple of your least played games and get both. I bet you will not regret it.

Best answer! I voted DI. I did see a AFM LE and it was impressive looking. The game itself doesn't compare to the depth and tech of DI though.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Agreed. I've sold what I think is a bunch of pins over 4 years and don't really regret any of them even though I had fun with nearly all before being sold.

My AFM just headed for Australia this week. Trading out a very nice SS plus cash for DILE once CE production done.

I can always buy an AFMr if I get the itch again and likewise could find another SS if I really desire another in the future. That said however there are very many pins which over never even played which I'd rather own before buying somehing I've already had again. I'd rather own and experience new pins (new to me not necessarily NIB is what I mean here). Heck, I'm currently toying with moving GBLE, wolverine, AS and maybe even my beloved LOTRLE just to try other things and shake it up a bit.

#29 6 years ago

I played both and was back and forth at an arcade but decided to get Woz. However you can't go wrong with either one of those titles but I picked DI for this poll but it is so close that I'd be happy with either one.

#30 6 years ago

Both awesome games! I voted DILE because I own one and love it! But, that doesn't mean I won't get an AFM later either, love that game too!

#31 6 years ago

i'm picking up an AFMr SE at York this weekend, love the game and I think it will get played just as much as DI and my other games. Scared stiff is one of the easiest games around (not including spider wizard mode or whatever it is), yet it's always fun to play. Not every game needs to be super deep or extremely difficult. MMR is not very difficult or deep either, yet it's just a timeless classic, just like AFM. Destroying the castle never gets old, at least not to me.

#32 6 years ago

I vote AFM LE

#33 6 years ago

I would of said AFMr a little while ago but after playing them both recently I am not sure. The AFMr I played looked great but was having trouble with a flipper getting sticky. It quickly became unplayable. It also seemed to be draining to the outlanes more than the original so very short games. Fun game but with the price of $7500 I just don't know if it's worth it. DI on the other hand won me over with great looks and flawless gameplay. It kind of reminds of TZ where there is just so much to do and always something to shoot for. I just enjoyed playing it and felt like I could play it all night. I just couldn't say that about AFMr or any of the newer Stern games. Price is the problem. AFMr SE is not cheap and the DI I played was quite a bit more. However, I can see why DI costs so much. It's a beautiful game loaded with features.

#34 6 years ago

I opted for Attack from Mars LE. Mine should be here next week.

Dialed In is a great pin. Love the modes of the game....I don't see why people don't like the theme it's enjoyable. The only thing with Dialed In that bothers me is that I feel of all the JJP machines Dialed In should have been put into a Widebody as I think the layout would have benefited from it. There are parts of that playfield that are covered up where you can't see the ball especially the upper left half of the playfield. Oh well it's still an incredible pinball machine no matter how you slice it.

AFMr LE is just a beautiful re-creation of one of the greatest pinball machines made even better. You really can't go wrong with it. I think a casual pinball player will look or play AFM and say well there really isn't much to do on this pin but shoot that saucer. That's at a quick glace but the game does have more depth to it than people think once you settle into it. It's great though you won't regret it and I do think it will hold it's value better than Dialed In down the road.

Regardless of which you choose I doubt you'll be disappointed.

#35 6 years ago

Since you haven't played AFM OP, go AFMR. JJP makes their pins for years and years; there will be an opportunity to get DILE later, and they limit DI LE to 2500 lol.

#36 6 years ago

Yeah it is so crazy how so many of these vs. threads I want to yell at the screen "get both!". I understand space and cost has a lot to do with why this can not happen. So Selling the pins you never play is a great way to gain cash and space.

Also let me tell you, I have made some great connections with all the folks I have bought and sold pins from! Most of my buyers and sellers I keep in touch with still today and are really good friends in pinball and in real life! I would have not met them if I had been a hoarder of games I don't play or did not want try something new. I even have folks over for parties when I get a new game and have even more fun!

So once again I would sell the few games which you don't play and this will help your chances you will meet some nice folks and then get both DI and AFM. Even better have DI and AFM unboxing parties and meet some more folks! Have fun with it!

Sorry to be so unhelpful in which one is better though. That is your fault for picking two different but great games.

#37 6 years ago

Look at HUO Hobbit prices these days. Buy AFM now, wait a year and save a thousand bucks on DI.

#40 6 years ago

The number of posts here which say buy a used DI are frightening. I think there is already more of a demand for a used DI than for new ones.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

The number of posts here which say buy a used DI are frightening. I think there is already more of a demand for a used DI than for new ones.

Can't blame people, $9k for an le is a lot of money, for any pinball machine. History suggests prices will drop and id guess jjp will make as many as they possibly can. It is a great game.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Look at HUO Hobbit prices these days. Buy AFM now, wait a year and save a thousand bucks on DI.

Lol... whats that matter? Di is far better than hobbit..... used dile just sold super quick for 8600 i believe. All new games sld fall some especially bc how expensive they are now.... if u expect a return on a used toy all the time then your in the wrong hobby..

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

used dile just sold super quick for 8600 i believe

Wait 'til they make & ship all of them. Supply, demand, etc.

Quoted from bigd1979:

if u expect a return on a used toy all the time then your in the wrong hobby.

I don't expect a return. Quite the opposite! Which is exactly why I advised him to wait a year.

#44 6 years ago

Yeah I think value wise the afm Le will hold its value a lot better; like others have said they will make an unlimited amount of dialed in les unlike afm

#45 6 years ago

No wrong answer. You will lose money on either machine buying NIB and selling later. I like AFM, but there is no comparison for me in terms of gameplay. All JJP games are gorgeous. The code is deep, the colors and light show are beautiful. With Dialed In there is more to accomplish and the layout and shots for me are more satisfying.

#46 6 years ago

My thoughts/concerns:
AFMLE... like someone already said, playing it at an arcade side by side with DILE is more exciting and gets the adrenaline pumping, and gets more of my quarters than the DILE.... at an arcade! (Separate thread if you don't know what an arcade is, ha) But... is it a tortoise vs the hare kinda thing? In the casual comfort of my home will I tire of the AFMLE faster than the more diverse, steadier, and still fun DILE?

Also, something I probably need to just get over but the profit margin on the AFMr's must be enormous as there is no R&D, no engineering, no programming... hell, hardly any marketing. Yes, there's a "value" to resurrecting a past, highly successful license, yes. But more of the "cost" of an AFMr seems to be in soft "goodwill" and not actually in the creative energy or production of an original game. Just trying to figure out how I feel about this. NOT judging... markets drive these things so I 'get it'.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

Also, something I probably need to just get over but the profit margin on the AFMr's must be enormous as there is no R&D, no engineering, no programming...

New platform to run it. New boards to run it and lighting. Tweaked the graphics on the color and CGC menu. New display and speaker panel. And probably a few things I'm forgetting.

All that stuff was conceived and designed. Wasn't free.

Profit margin wasn't enormous. I do hope they make money. Then we get more games in the future.

LTG : )

#48 6 years ago

I own both (AFM orig.), both awesome games that will never leave my collection. Can't go wrong with either. AFMr has amazing light show and costs less. DI has more toys.

#49 6 years ago

AFMr LE.

Mine is suppose to be here this week. still no word from Fedex though.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

I own both (AFM orig.), both awesome games that will never leave my collection. Can't go wrong with either. AFMr has amazing light show and costs less. DI has more toys.

Come on... the light show on di is top notch. Afm is good but very plain compared to di .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-le-or-di-le-decision/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.