(Topic ID: 23995)

Afm I have one. Should I have it restored?

By jorge5240

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrDo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have afm that I would like to get restored in the future. It plays 100% right now. It has cabinet fade on the left side. And some of wiring in the game seems like it was hacked up. My question is should I send this game to get restored. Or is it better to sell it and buy a restored one? I bought for $3,500 so I am sure I can get more then I paid for it. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks, mike

#2 11 years ago

Wow. Great deal you got it for in working condition. You should have it restored in my opinion.

#3 11 years ago

Nah, you should sell it to me for what you paid for it. I'll restore it after

#4 11 years ago

No, Play it until you tire of it and sell it on Mr. Pinball for 8K.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Or is it better to sell it and buy a restored one?

It "should" be cheaper to have your's restored properly than it would be to buy one already done. That being said, I would just flip it since you already have spiderman. that's what i would do.

#6 11 years ago

If you're gonna keep it...have it restored without a doubt.
If you're just gonna sell it....aww, hell, you'll make money either way!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

That being said, I would just flip it since you already have spiderman. that's what i would do.

I think SM and AFM are good together in a collection, it is not like he has shrek and family guy. They are not the same game. I had both together, and loved both. Jorge5240 has 10 games in his collection, so I don't think it matters much.

Quoted from spfxted:

Yep - anyway you slice it, he made out. If you restore it yourself, you can put your own personal stamp on it. Since mods are for personal tastes, I would only restore it if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Many times you don't get back what you put into a pin.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

It "should" be cheaper to have your's restored properly than it would be to buy one already done. That being said, I would just flip it since you already have spiderman. that's what i would do.

The crapper AFM is 2x the pin of his man in tights. Sell the SM to fund the restore.
The twist would be to restore it yourself. All(most of)the parts are readily available and it is a pretty easy swap. Dining room table job.

#9 11 years ago

Of course we don't know the condition of yours but if the difference in what you sold Yours for and the price of a restored AFM is less than the cost of a restoration them it's a no brainier. Do the math. What's a restored AFM go for? 10k? Can you get 7k for yours? A quality restoration it going to cost more than 3k.

#10 11 years ago

no,dont restore it,trade it for my lotr. please.

#11 11 years ago

Definitely restore your AFM.

#12 11 years ago

you could probably flip it as is and making a killing off of it. Let someone else restore it.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Quoted for truth!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

No you won't, I listed mine for the price I would have to pay for a base game and the PF on Mr. Pin and Pinside and got crickets.
I pulled the ad and am going to keep it, I could never replace the game for this price.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-attack-from-mars

#15 11 years ago

I think it depends on if you plan to keep it. If you do I would get it restored. I would recommend Jim in St George. He did mine and it looks amazing!! Good luck with what every you decide.

#16 11 years ago

Thanks for all of the opinions. I am keeping the game for a long time. I have some games at a second house. So spiderman and afm are not at the same house. The game plays great as is but it doesn't look as nice as my nib games. I am leaning towards getting it restored but it is tough because for the money it costs I could buy another nice game. Eventually I think I will just bite the bullet. I bought afm two years ago so the 3500 was not a current price bit I still think I made out pretty good. Thanks again, mike

#17 11 years ago

One last think I wouldn't restore myself. I know my skills and am not to that level. I can do basic fixes and mods but I am not ready to tackle a project like that. I have de star wars that I am looking to do my first play field swap on. I can handle screwing up a 1500 dollar game but not a 7000 dollar game. Thanks, mike

#18 11 years ago

Send it to Jim for the restore!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

One last think I wouldn't restore myself. I know my skills and am not to that level. I can do basic fixes and mods but I am not ready to tackle a project like that. I have de Star Wars that I am looking to do my first play field swap on. I can handle screwing up a 1500 dollar game but not a 7000 dollar game. Thanks, mike

If you keep it long enough your skills will improve as you work on your games and you will be able to restore it yourself.
You just get better with each one you do.

#20 11 years ago

Restore it. You'll still be WAY under market and you'll have a gorgeous machine! I can't recommend kickasspinball.com/Kruzman/mike chestnut any higher than I already do!

Here's what that team did to my routed game:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/look-what-i-just-ruled-the-universe-on

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-i-have-one-should-i-have-it-restored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.