image-903.jpg
image-272.jpg
image-786.jpg
image-840.jpg
image-853.jpg
image.jpg
afm11.JPG
afm12.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Man, $5k? I wouldn't say this this until now, but seemed overpriced for its condition in the current climate. I know AFM still holds people's attention, but I wonder what it goes for if AFMr is made/priced at $6k

It won't be. MMR sales have proven 1000 people are quick to pay $8000 for a new AGrade so why would they sell an equally good/popular/rated game for any less than $8000?

Even if they sold 500 at $8000, that'd probably be more profit than 1000 machines at $6000. With half the effort.

Presuming a cost of $5000 (generous I would think) ...
$8000 sale price x $3000 profit x 500 machines = 1,500,000 profit
$6000 sale price x $1000 profit x 1000 machines = 1,000,000 profit

All just figures pulled from my ass, but you get the point.

rd

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorf:

AFM in good condition, 10 k all day boys.......Learn to live with the reality....... Fade and play field wear 6500-7500............

Time to out myself as the buyer I guess.

I've been looking for a beater for a while. I have a brand new AFM playfield in my shed ready to go.

So the way I look at it, I should have a brand new AFM for around $6500 USD plus a week of my labour (which is worth nothing anyways)

Heres a Fish Tales which is getting the full treatment now. Cab decals are going on today. Still a bit of work to do so I better get going ...

image-434.jpgimage-434.jpg

image-903.jpgimage-903.jpg

image-272.jpgimage-272.jpg

image-67.jpgimage-67.jpg

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is what FamilyArcade thinks of you, in case you missed it:

Not that you give a sh*T!

When I have my "brand new" $6500 AFM playing mint, we will see who the sucker is! lol

To be fair to my old mate TFA, to the layperson, this thing does look expensive. As Levi says, it is basically a pile of crap!

But when you can do all the work yourself, it doesn't work out so bad ... I have a new playfield already, the cab decals aren't too expensive (in relation to the worth of the machine) a few bits here and there .. maybe new ramps, we will see. Whatever money I put into it parts wise, it will come back double if I ever want to sell it (unlikely...)

Also, here in NZ there are probably only 10 AFMs in the whole country ... so they are hardly "dime a dozen" over here. We need to grab what we can, when we can.

rd

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm just happy to see you still buy DMDs.

There aren't too many DMDs on my want list. AFM and Flintstones are the only ones I can think of actually, and I've got both of those in the last week.

rd

#74 9 years ago

People continue to start threads about the increasing prices for NIB, and a routed beater (that might be remade in the next 6-12 months) sells for $5k. I think that's interesting. I wasn't looking for a fight, but I don't mind.
I think people are going to look back at all the wonderful games Stern is releasing now and shake their heads at what these B/W 'a-listers' continue to fetch. I know I do.

I do too! That's why I wouldn't pay $9000 USD for an AFM. $6000 odd I can live with.

A lot of the affinity for BW games dates back 20 years. I get emails all the time "do you have an addams/TZ/mm for sale?" and I ask "why do you want that one..." And the answer is "because that's the one I used to play at university"

I had one guy, the only pin he wanted was TOM. Because that's the one he and his wife used to play when they were dating and it was special to him. He'd never really played any other pin.

Also, you get the "read the top 300" guys who read the ratings and want a TZ/mm/Addams because they're highly rated. Good to see some new sterns higher up the ratings now.

Calling the buyer a "sucker" was an exaggeration. So I'll take that back. But IMO, $5k for a any game in this condition is just not worth it. Only reason I offered up AVLE is because I think the street price on that turd is under $4,500 nowadays.

Let's just say that Levi and I came to a mutually agreeable deal.

PS good response and also a good response to your response from RobT. Feel the love!

rd.

#75 9 years ago

just finished that Fish Tales cabinet ... oh yeah mama!

rd

Fish Tales redecal.JPGFish Tales redecal.JPG

#81 9 years ago

RD, on the left side of the cabinet decal, is there a faint "palm frond" patterns near the top towards the front. Making a lighter orangish yellow contrasted against the darker color?

Don't quite understand the question sorry TFA .....

The whole thing has a gradient toward the top.

I have to say that the front panels don't match the sides very well ... A lot of pins, the art flows from the sides to the front with lines that meet etc. Not Fish Tales.

But you have to love those colours. Great looking pin.

Check out the new side rails against the orange. Nice!!

image-405.jpgimage-405.jpg

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Good buying on the AFM. There will always be a demand for original.
I knew there had to be another CV in NZ.

There's a few CVs now. Originally though, there were only 3 imported new to NZ. (From memory)

Since then, I have imported 2 from Europe, another came from the USA, and one from Aussie. Probably others too.

rd.

1 year later
#88 8 years ago

For the sake of completion ... And because it was mentioned in Kanedas podcast... I thought I would share photos of this machine all finished.

- new decals
- new Playfield
- black trim
- comet LEDs
- etc etc

Came up nice.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Dave! You had that thing shipped all the way to New Zealand? Wasn't that kind of, um...cost prohibitive?

I can get a pin shipped from NYC to Auckland probably cheaper than you can get one shipped to Jersey from Florida.

We do have to pay some customs fees and tax on it when it arrives which is a bummer. But not too much.

rd.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Dave is in Australia. Mint AFMs are considerably more there.

Close champ. New Zealand. You'd think you'd know that, being from the Antartic.

rd

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Bought a beat up pin for $5K, spent a ton to ship it, a ton of money on new decals, play field, etc and it seems it took an entire year to complete. A mint one just sold for $8K the other day. So I am just wondering what the point was restoring a $5K machine? Not hating, I'm just not seeing how time and money was worth it to restore this thing. Especially when the remake might be around the corner

Ok, here goes.

A. If the remake comes out I'll probably be dead by them anyway lol. If I'm still alive, it will be the same price as MMR which is $8000 usd plus exchange rate (65c) plus shipping plus tax = $14,000 to 15,000 New Zealand bucks. Give or take.

B. I didn't pay $5000 it was quite a bit less. Plus the exchange rate was like 82c to the NZD at the time which was sweet. And Levi dropped it off at the depot for me which was nice.

C. I had the Playfield and cab decals already bought at 85c to the dollar. Nice.

D. If you want to buy an AFM in NZ or Australia, good luck. Nobody sells them. If they do, they are not cheap.

So all this taken into account, I ended up with a basically new AFM for a heap less than what I a used AFM cost here, or what an AFMR would cost.

rd

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Ok great points you make, and totally understandable now. That's awesome for u especially seeing that you clearly know how to restore a machine too. Great job dude !

I actually didn't do the Playfield swap on this one, someone else had the pleasure of that. I have 3 others to do ... One day ...

rd

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Again nice work. I wish I had the patience to do something that like that. But I don't.

And you don't need to ... Always a nice AFM to scoop up around NYC somewhere.

I'm happy to take the scraps you don't want.

Hey, I'm in NYC March 22-30th, we will have to catch up with you and Kaneda and go have a beer or three.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-fs-5000-nyc?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.