• Latest reply 7 years ago by Jenk540i
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Decided last week to install one of the cheap off board battery holders on my AFM. Just the type with the wooden dowels, had been using it successfully in another pin so I know it worked. While removing the batteries I noticed that just manipulating the battery holder caused the factory reset to happen even though I was not bullying the holder. After moving the batteries to the off holder (new batteries) the game factory rest 1 time again.

Today it has continually reset each time I cycle the game off and on and of course got an error for reset date and time. Then got a G11 checksum error that went away after playing a couple of games. Put the batteries back in the on board holder and am still getting the factory reset and reset date/time error. G11 has not recurred.

Board and battery area look pristine, no visible alkaline leak or corrosion at all (on front).

Suggestions? This situation did not exist before I moved the batteries and I have changed these batteries yearly before without any issue.

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like a cold solder joint on the original battery board so reflow solder on to original battery holders contact points on back of cpu board.

#3 7 years ago

I'll go ahead and do that now. Thanks

#4 7 years ago

So pulled the board, reflowed all the solder, replaced the board. Now I'm getting multiple switch chairs, and irratic gameplay, and multiple resets. Have removed and reset all pins/plug several times, they are correct. What the heck?

DMD and all Playfield lights (not translight or saucer mod) go out, stay out for 30 seconds, come back on and DMD displays multiple switch error codes, and then it does it again.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#5 7 years ago

sounds like you have more than a battery issue, what the hell is that trace wire doing, Im confused too. Since it has that jumper on it I would assume some battery damage some time in the past. Battery acid has made its way to a chip below it and you messing with it has finally cost a problem, time to send that board off. It would be nice if you had another CPU from another game you could put into it, Good Luck.

#6 7 years ago

Yep id bet u had corrosion at some point and it was half fixed and now the issue is coming back to haunt u

#7 7 years ago

U can try your mm cpu in it? Definitely a cpu issue tho

#8 7 years ago

U can see there was some corrosion at some point ...get a pic of front of the board especially under battery holder

#9 7 years ago

Yes, I thought about that, but it has to be a CPU issue so I don't think swapping the board would tell me anything else. I agree with your suggestion about perhaps having the board repaired.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

16,500 (OBO)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-factory-reset-technical-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.