fuses (resized).JPG
IMG_3969 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0406 (resized).JPG
IMG_0405 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).JPG
IMG_0414 (resized).JPG
wpc-u9 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Yeah, I buzzed both of those out and neither is closed. No bent tabs touching either. Pulling their connector should resolve that anyway. Was odd.

I am filing a claim for the physical damage for sure. The issues will exist after they are paid for, so I'm trying to get a head start on the gremlins.

Before powering on, push the ASIC on the CPU down with your fingers. It likely came part-way out when the machine was dropped. Then power on the game. If still no go, press the ROMs down as well.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is that U8? I'm pretty sure I pressed everything back in that has a socket, but you never know. I will look at that when I get home, thanks.

I believe its U9. Its the chunky square right in the middle:

wpc-u9 (resized).pngwpc-u9 (resized).png

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Found some more info about this boot issue. Posting here so I can find it easier later. The bad news is none of the part numbers referencing Radio Shack work anymore.
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm#cpu
Last part of 3q.
Re-seat the U9 WPC chip.
You would be amazed at how often this works. A dead CPU can suddenly come to life after removing and reinserting this large U9 chip. You will need a special tool to remove this big, square chip. You can buy this tool at Radio Shack, part number 276-2101, $9.99. Do NOT try to remove this chip without this tool! Note one corner of this chip is "notched", so you can only re-insert the chip one way.
Bad socket at U9.
The large U9 WPC square chip can have a bad socket. It's not much fun to replace this 84 pin socket! Radio Shack sells replacement sockets, part number RSU 11354453, $1.99, but they may not stock it. Use your DMM and check for continuity with the chip installed before you replace this socket.
Shotgun Approach.
The chips are U1, U2 (74LS244) and U3 (74LS245) are the ones that affect on a dead CPU the most. If replacing those yeilds nothing, then try replacing U5 (74LS14). Also check resistors R95 and R99 (1 meg ohms) to make sure these are the correct value. Finally U10 (a MC34064 transistor that is part of the startup circuit) can be replaced. Using a logic probe, also check for a good clock signal on pins 34 and 35 of U4 (6809).

You need a PLCC extractor to pull the ASIC at U9:

http://www.alliedelec.com/ok-industries-ex-6/70176422/?mkwid=shCd9jMQt&pcrid=30980760979&gclid=CMeZp8T8ktICFVe4wAodb7wPlQ

http://frys.com/product/7550516?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Not sure why RS no longer carries them, probably just part of that huge crappy move to becoming a cell phone store.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I have a pretty good electronics store in town that I have had great luck with. They aren't nearly as large as Fry's (and we have none of those locally) but they have lots of the good stuff. Hopefully they have a puller and if not I will order one. Will be seeing about the other stuff listed in that section as well.

PLCC socket - ebay.com link: like

The other chips should be searchable by the numbers you listed at Mouser or Digikey.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-dropped-in-shipping-now-troubleshooting?tu=Compy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.