New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 181149)

AFM, dropped in shipping, now troubleshooting

By desertT1

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fuses (resized).JPG
IMG_3969 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0406 (resized).JPG
IMG_0405 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).JPG
IMG_0414 (resized).JPG
wpc-u9 (resized).png

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Congrats buddy, only thing I can say is hey at least you didn't drop it in your own driveway like some people do, you had the ability to blame others, unlike me

Thanks. I moved it in the house yesterday where the rest of the work will happen. My regulars are really looking forward to getting their hands on it, so it will go on location very soon after it is all ready for the big time.

#52 3 years ago

I think the thing I need most urgently is help with the lock shot triggering the switch behind the saucer drop target. I want to put in an order for switches and bumper yokes but want to hold off until I know if I need any parts for the lock shot area.

2 weeks later
#53 3 years ago

I'm stripping down the playfield to clean everywhere and try to get out the last bit of the glass chunks. I have the game on and noticed something odd. One bumper and the lower GI are all lit, but the other two bumpers and the rest of the upper section are not. I have several System 11's, so I'm used to burnt connectors taking out all of the GI, but only half seems odd. Does that tell anyone anything that I should look at first?

Also, in attract mode, there are moments when the LEDs for the GI that does work do a sort of 100%/75%/100%/75%/100%/75% sort of pulsing. It's very much a pattern and only happens for a few seconds. During gameplay I've never noticed it, so I'm guessing it's a part of the attract lightshow that doesn't show up as much with incandescents. I have a few of those in still and they dim just a little, very little. Just making sure this is normal.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

the other two bumpers and the rest of the upper section are not.

These could very well be on the same GI string- check your manual and check the fuse that this is on, may be blown.

Quoted from desertT1:

the GI that does work do a sort of 100%/75%/100%/75%/100%/75% sort of pulsing.

Probably just the nature of the LEDs during dimming operations. Hergs GI OCD Board would eliminate this and make them act just like incandescents

#55 3 years ago

After doing some digging, it looks like the upper GI is fuse F112 (White with yellow stripe) Check that fuse, and if no luck there, check plug connector at the bottom of the PDB

fuses (resized).JPG

1 week later
#56 3 years ago

Fuses are good, and the GI issue is still hiding from me.

I did get to work on a TON of other things in the last 5 days. The game is very much playable after getting all of the new switches in there. The PF was cleaned/waxed, and the plastics got a swipe with a magic eraser. New rubbers everywhere and all back together now. It plays great. The harness for the saucer wasn't too tough and so that whole assembly is back in as well. The game looks so much better with that there instead of a gaping hole above the drop target. The game is playing pretty tough, but I have to say that I love to play. I can't really decide what I like more; doing MB, attacking the saucer, or going for Total Annihilation. I have it set to 1 extra ball, so I'm not seeing most of the game every time I play. That's leaving me very eager to press start again and again. The game is very much ready for it's location debut.

There are a few things I have to get to eventually. I did notice twice in a dozen games the left upper lane switch failed to register. I had to bend each switch originally as the geometry they came with wasn't working. Looks like this one might need just a tiny bit more tweaking.

The backbox lighting clips will be a future project. The game is pretty bright without the upper left GI, but I'd still like to fix it. One of the coin mech holders was busted in the crash and when I super glued it back in place it was holding until I bumped it from the side and it popped right off. I found a replacement part and will order that with my next Pinball Life order.

Thanks for the help from this thread. Tucson has an AFM!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside