Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

thats what she said.jpg
joust-2player-1.jpg
thats what she said.jpg
image-426.jpg
image-387.jpg
image-760.jpg

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

I'm so sorry it torqued you up. Was an ad from someone that sells pinballs, sorry, I don't have time to control what everyone does ... nor do I want to.

#102 4 years ago

I'm all for these remakes being spaced out. What's the rush? It's not like the originals don't exist. AFM and MB seems like obvious choices for remakes and it makes sense they would come. Let MMR get released and breathe a little before the next game is announced.

#103 4 years ago

No torquing. As close as you monitor the b/w ip stuff just led me to believe you kept closer tabs on other things affecting your business directly or indirectly. My mistake.

#104 4 years ago

With hindsight of no official announcement from PPS, its pretty clear they were definitely teaser ads designed to generate interest at an Expo full of hype for new titles coming out in the near future.

"Before you put a deposit on TBL/TH/Wrath etc etc, dont forget about MBr/AFMr."

I find it border line ridiculous that PPS's "Official European Master Distributor" is entitled to make quasi-official announcements on PPS's behalf without PPS's approval. If I was to do that in my industry (with the brands that I distribute) my distribution agreement would be terminated without question.

But maybe pinball is completely different. I often forget it is still just a niche hobby.

#105 4 years ago

A year ago, no one eould have been surprised at these ads in the program - pretty much everyone would have expected them, especially if MMr had met the original shipping targets Rick mentioned at Expo 2013.

It certainly is understandable that the schedule slipped, but I think that has unfortunately cost PPS/CG potential market share (certainly at the $8k level) with titles like AMH, TBL, Alien looking like serious alternatives for money that would have gone to remakes of AFM and/or MB.

If PPS can become the "affordable NIB" option and play in the $4k-$5k+ range for remakes, they have a bright future. Maybe a CCr or a BBBr may command more, but I just don't see the level of demand for AFM and MB that clearly existed a year ago, so prices will have to be lower to goose demand.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I'm all for these remakes being spaced out. What's the rush? It's not like the originals don't exist. AFM and MB seems like obvious choices for remakes and it makes sense they would come. Let MMR get released and breathe a little before the next game is announced.

Time is not on the side of PPS - the more real competition there is for NIB dollars, the fewer units they are likely to sell (as is true with the other manufacturers) without repositioning themselves. The PPS titles have an advantage the others don't - the titles are low risk code/design wise because people already know/love them, but as new titles evolve with new levels of technology and gameplay that will be less of a draw.

#107 4 years ago

I think if AFMR and MBR are blinged out enough they will be able to sell at 7K or even 8K. Everyone knows they are amazing games. Just make the new machines with no compromises and sell them at a premium. If selling these games at 5K come with the Stern Pro feel, f-that.

#108 4 years ago

MBr with color DMD and chrome trim for $6500 please

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

if they want my $, it'll need to be exactly that or even lower cost.

#110 4 years ago

MB is the one for sure... Let's do it....

#111 4 years ago

F the old games, they are there. Make new games, new themes. NEW. Everyone can get an old one if they want, they aren't that hard.

MB isn't a great game. I have it. It's ok, but not great. These games get built up from being wpc95s and because their runs were less. If there were a lot of them out there, people would start to see that they are no more fun than some of the other simpler/easy WPC's such as BSD/DW whatever, both of which I prefer much higher than MB.

I think the numbers for AFM and MB will be MUCH less in sales than everyone thinks, even with a couple grand sliced off the MMr price tag. I wonder as well if these ads and other aspects are a fishing attempt to still try and assess these two.

At first I thought MMr, and maybe another game like CC (which still make more sense to me than AFM and MB) where initial reruns to allow PPS to get their ducks in line to start into new games. Now that they are having MMr made by stern, it looks like just a way to make what they can with no intent for developing, which is disappointing given the rights and clout they have with manufacturing.

This was just my own thoughts though, and PPS never made any sort of claim to what direction they were moving in.

#112 4 years ago

throw in a rug and they have my pre order.

#113 4 years ago
#114 4 years ago

CCR would sell, MB and AFM at these prices are doubtfull..

#115 4 years ago
#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

F the old games, they are there. Make new games, new themes. NEW. Everyone can get an old one if they want, they aren't that hard.
MB isn't a great game. I have it. It's ok, but not great. These games get built up from being wpc95s and because their runs were less. If there were a lot of them out there, people would start to see that they are no more fun than some of the other simpler/easy WPC's such as BSD/DW whatever, both of which I prefer much higher than MB.
I think the numbers for AFM and MB will be MUCH less in sales than everyone thinks, even with a couple grand sliced off the MMr price tag. I wonder as well if these ads and other aspects are a fishing attempt to still try and assess these two.
At first I thought MMr, and maybe another game like CC (which still make more sense to me than AFM and MB) where initial reruns to allow PPS to get their ducks in line to start into new games. Now that they are having MMr made by stern, it looks like just a way to make what they can with no intent for developing, which is disappointing given the rights and clout they have with manufacturing.
This was just my own thoughts though, and PPS never made any sort of claim to what direction they were moving in.

There is a pretty big difference between being made and having assembled. Stern is Assembling the games, all of the assemblies, parts are original designs/reproductions that were sourced by PPS and Chicago Coin. I would prefer Stern to assemble the games as they are THE MOST experienced pinball manufacturer out there, they have made at least 10x the games of the other manufacturers. They have the ability to crank out between 100-200 games a week, way more than anyone else. Prices are not going to come down at least the MSRP wont, you might be able to find a cheaper game on the next few (depending on the distributor) The only other way that games will be cheaper is if they dont sell and there is a closeout sale but that seems unlikely because I believe these games will be built to order.

#117 4 years ago

Going to be tough. I am already tied up in three new games for 2015 . Doubtful I will add a fourth.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

There is a pretty big difference between being made and having assembled. Stern is Assembling the games, all of the assemblies, parts are original designs/reproductions that were sourced by PPS and Chicago Coin. I would prefer Stern to assemble the games as they are THE MOST experienced pinball manufacturer out there, they have made at least 10x the games of the other manufacturers. They have the ability to crank out between 100-200 games a week, way more than anyone else. Prices are not going to come down at least the MSRP wont, you might be able to find a cheaper game on the next few (depending on the distributor) The only other way that games will be cheaper is if they dont sell and there is a closeout sale but that seems unlikely because I believe these games will be built to order.

I get that, and I wasn't using as a negative in the equation, just that PPS has gone to another established company to construct.

I know it's b/w parts and so on, still, everyone upon the first time of hearing this that bought in I'm sure had a little bit of throw up in their mouth

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

From what I hear, and we all have our sources is that AFM is next and it was going to be announced at Expo.
Was it the backlash from Pinside on MMR that changed? Was it the fact that they couldn't get MMR on the line? Is the game still going to be AFM a few months from now or might something else change? Who knows.

oh yes PPS heard there are a few whiners on a website, so he changed his production plans. My god do people get full of themselves on here.

#120 4 years ago

Don't you mean $6000?

#121 4 years ago

Quoted from lordloss:

Don't you mean $6000?

Actually $6500 is about right because then you should be able to buy someone's preorder for about $5000 when all the bailing begins!

#122 4 years ago

I spoke with rick @ expo about the next remake and although I'm not supposed to say anything, I hereby declare myself a sovereign state so that I'm only subject to my own laws

the next remake will be joust!

it will feature the classic single-player and head-to-head options, however the entire playfield will be a huge OLED display so that the lava effects will be visceral and armies of mounted ostriches will swoop down on the opponents' side of the playfield to further confuse them when you complete a set of drop targets.

additionally, the playfield will have 2 huge subways so that balls can be "captured" by the lava trolls through a series of trap doors to [drain] balls in play and transport them to your opponent's side.

pricing will be set at $8,500 for the standard edition, and $10,500 for the limited edition (which comes with a real "live" armored ostrich)

edit:
$10,500 gets you the limited edition version with a f&#$'ed [backwards] legs ostrich.

$12,500 gets you the "true" limited edition with anatomically correct legs

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I spoke with rick @ expo about the next remake and although I'm not supposed to say anything, I hereby declare myself a sovereign state so that I'm only subject to my own laws
it will feature the classic single-player and head-to-head options, however the entire playfield will be a huge OLED display so that the lava effects will be visceral and armies of mounted ostriches will swoop down on the opponents' side of the playfield when you complete a set of drop targets to confuse them.
additionally, the playfield will have 2 huge subways so that balls can be "captured" by the lava trolls through a series of trap doors to "drain" balls in play and transport them to your opponent's side.
pricing will be set at $8,500 for the standard edition, and $10,500 for the limited edition (which comes with a real "live" armored ostrich)

I'm in.

TAKE MY MONEY

joust-2player-1.jpg

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Actually $6500 is about right because then you should be able to buy someone's preorder for about $5000 when all the bailing begins!

you're pretty funny

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm so sorry it torqued you up. Was an ad from someone that sells pinballs, sorry, I don't have time to control what everyone does ... nor do I want to.

I dunno. You seem to find time to put the kibosh on other somewhat harmless and interesting projects. God forbid someone decides to write some code to improve a 20 year old game long out of production. Or maybe someone makes a ramp to fix a broken one or an overlay for a 25-year-old damaged playfield. It feels like you definitely have both the time and interest to monitor what everyone does.

#126 4 years ago
#127 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I dunno. You seem to find time to put the kibosh on other somewhat harmless and interesting projects. God forbid someone decides to write some code to improve a 20 year old game long out of production. Or maybe someone makes a ramp to fix a broken one or an overlay for a 25-year-old damaged playfield. It feels like you definitely have both the time and interest to monitor what everyone does.

This ^^^^^

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I get that, and I wasn't using as a negative in the equation, just that PPS has gone to another established company to construct.
I know it's b/w parts and so on, still, everyone upon the first time of hearing this that bought in I'm sure had a little bit of throw up in their mouth

Technically it's a Chicago Game pin licensed through PPS and assembled by Stern. IMO, these boutique guys need to take a lesson from PPS/CG on how to get a game to market.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it will feature the classic single-player and head-to-head options, however the entire playfield will be a huge OLED display so that the lava effects will be visceral and armies of mounted ostriches will swoop down on the opponents' side of the playfield to further confuse them when you complete a set of drop targets.
additionally, the playfield will have 2 huge subways so that balls can be "captured" by the lava trolls through a series of trap doors to [drain] balls in play and transport them to your opponent's side.

That's the last time I even give you any trade secrets The old 'sovereign state' ploy ...

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

That's the last time I even give you any trade secrets

does this mean that I'm no longer on that pre-order list?

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Technically it's a Chicago Game pin licensed through PPS

We don't actually know this for a fact. Rick has declined a few times to explicitly state this.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

does this mean that I'm no longer on that pre-order list?

you will find out ... ... the hard way.

#133 4 years ago

thats what she said.jpg
#134 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Time is not on the side of PPS - the more real competition there is for NIB dollars, the fewer units they are likely to sell (as is true with the other manufacturers) without repositioning themselves.

Meh - nah.
They already locked in the preorders with no refund. So; only their next title (if there is one) would be at risk for NIB dollars.
Time is proving if they can or will meet any semblance of a schedule as committed to their customers.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Meh - nah.
They already locked in the preorders with no refund. So; only their next title (if there is one) would be at risk for NIB dollars.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This was exactly my point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside