Topic poll

“Keep Tron or get AFM?”

• Too much similarity with MM/LOTR...keep your Tron 19 votes
    37%
  • AFM is amazing. Sacrifice Tron without looking back 33 votes
    63%

(52 votes)

#1 10 years ago

I am toying with the idea of picking up an AFM. If I do so, I would probably need to sell my Tron Pro. The other two pins I have are MM and LOTR. I've never seen or played AFM and am wondering thoughts on how AFM would go in a line up with MM and LOTR.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Darin

#2 10 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd...I would like to hear some input from those who have owned both MM and AFM if possible.

Darin

#3 10 years ago

I've owned all 3 - still have the MM, sold the AFM and LOTR. Personally, could never get into LOTR - probably played it 100 times total since NIB and sold it. I love MM, think it is the best pin ever. I sold AFM because it is essentially the same game as MM (minus the catapult shot) with a different theme. AFM is great, I just prefer the theme in MM. If you already own MM, you might consider something more varied, or trade the MM for an AFM if you prefer the space theme...

#4 10 years ago

I haven't owned any of these games, but I've played my share of Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars. I just played Lord of the Rings recently for the first time, and loved it roughly as much as the other two.

I may be a bit biased, as I don't think Tron is anything special.

Attack From Mars is a bit of a basic game, but it's fantastic. I would take it over Tron Pro for sure. I suppose it is a bit similar to MM (and LOTR to a lesser degree), moreso than a more flow-heavy game at least.

#5 10 years ago

I own AFM and LOTR, and Im not sure I would do this. If you are looking to only have three games, there are probably others I would rather have with MM and LOTR than AFM. Not saying it isn't a great game, but Im not sure it's the best with those two. Just depends on what you're looking for really.

#6 10 years ago

I prefer AFM over MM, but that's mostly because I like the AFM theme better than MM. Both great games though. Due to the similarity in MM and AFM I'm not sure I'd give up a Tron to get an AFM, but of course I'm also a Tron fan. Of the games mentioned if I had to choose 3 I'd choose LotR (my grail game), Tron, and AFM.

Nice to see another Volunteer on here, I spent 14 years in Maryville before I moved to Jacksonville. I loved it and still bleed orange

#7 10 years ago

I own MM, AFM, BSD & Jackbot. AFM is the next machine i will be getting rid of. MM DESTROYS AFM. I don't even play afm anymore. There's no way in HELL I'd get rid of TRON to get AFM if I already owned MM.

Edit: No offense to those who prefer AFM. This is my personal opinion.

#8 10 years ago

I own MM and AFM. I like AFM better by a small margin, but neither are going anywhere!

#9 10 years ago

I own all three and all three are great pins. If I was to have only one pin in the world it would be LotR.

When it comes to MM to AFM I give the edge to MM. It is almost the same game when it comes to layout and basic shots. Heck, hold the left fipper button while ball launching on either for the same type skill shot.

They are both fun and funny. But the trolls on MM gives that little edge to the always open playfield of AFM.

But in the end you should own it anyway

#10 10 years ago

Not that you can really compare the gameplay of the real thing to a video game, but you could download AFM through The Pinball Arcade to get an idea of what the actual gameplay is like. Tough call man, I love Tron and Attack from Mars pretty equally. Are you enjoying Tron? Tiring from it?

#11 10 years ago

I've played them all. MM and AFM are two of the best DMDs ever, but for me it's time to move on. MM is going away in about an hour to make room for Master of Puppets. No regrets, no remorse.

#12 10 years ago

AFM is like a faster slightly better flowing version of Medieval Madness. Of all the games you listed, I think AFM is the best of the 4. If it were me, I would keep Tron. It is your only 3 flipper game. AFM is very similar to MM. I'd say LoTR is the worst of the 4 but thats just my opinion. Maybe you could sell MM, get AFM, and pocket $4-5K in cash.

#13 10 years ago

AFM is one of my all time favorite games. You seem to like fast fan style layouts so this is perfect for you.
I would also keep Tron.
MM is great also but for its price point it could get you 2 or 3 very good games.

Cannot go wrong with any of these 3 titles if you have the money IMHO. All winners here.

#14 10 years ago

DO IT!

AFM is amazing. I say 30% better than MM. Best theme, gorgeous, great flow, humorous quotes. If I have one complaint, its that it was a little too easy for me to Rule The Universe. I guess I will have to set the rules a little harder.

Its funny, I know MM is the "Sister" game of AFM, but I dont really find them to be THAT similar at all.

If it was me, I'd sell that Tron in a heartbeat. When the fanboys move on to the next "gotta have it" game from stern, you can pick it up at a discount.

#15 10 years ago

I would dump MM for the AFM. Having Tron, LOTR, and AFM is a great trio of games

>> When the fanboys move on to the next "gotta have it" game from stern, you can pick it up at a discount

This is a troll post right here. Tron has been out for almost two years and is still considered a great game by many. Let me guess that you think ACDC Prem is a fanboy title as well

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This is a troll post right here. Tron has been out for almost two years and is still considered a great game by many. Let me guess that you think ACDC Prem is a fanboy title as well

Ha ha ha! I'm not a fan of stern, at all. I think ACDC is just "ok". I guess I dont care at all what "many" consider a great game. I can make up my own mind about what is or is not a good game. I watched the hype curve go up and down with each new stern over the past decade. Remember Elvis, Sopranos, NASCAR, WPT, IJ, 24, BBH, AVATAR, Rolling Stones, Transformers? Even TSPP is starting to sell off now. Youll be able to pick up a TRON no problem later on.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from vislor:

I prefer AFM over MM, but that's mostly because I like the AFM theme better than MM. Both great games though. Due to the similarity in MM and AFM I'm not sure I'd give up a Tron to get an AFM, but of course I'm also a Tron fan. Of the games mentioned if I had to choose 3 I'd choose LotR (my grail game), Tron, and AFM.
Nice to see another Volunteer on here, I spent 14 years in Maryville before I moved to Jacksonville. I loved it and still bleed orange

Wish you were still here. Hard to connect with many folks around here. Like a wasteland for pins as far as I can tell.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Riles:

Remember Elvis, Sopranos, Nascar, WPT, IJ, 24, BBH, Avatar, Rolling Stones, Transformers?

Those are not Stern's finest

...though I love Avatar

#19 10 years ago

Here are a few things to consider since you are the one that will own the pinball.

1. Do you like AFM or Tron better.
2. Is the price fair for the condition of AFM that you are looking at.
3. The AFM will be a better investment (if bought right) then the Tron.
4. If you don't like AFM after owning it for awhile, then you can easily sell it for what you paid for it.
5. drawback is MM, AFM and LOTR all play very similar. Your themes are different but layout and shots are similar.

I say don't let others make up your mind. Buy what you want. After all you are the one that will be playing it.

Good luck

#20 10 years ago

Tron Pro Out...AFM...In...

#21 10 years ago

When I bought my AFM, it was between that and a MM (already had LOTR). After playing the two for several hours back to back over a weekend, I went with AFM because it has better flow and I just prefer the overall experience to MM.

Between the three, I'd say AFM > LOTR >MM, but the gaps between all three are minuscule and mixing the order up for all three is going to happen with just about anybody you ask.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I would dump MM for the AFM.

that wasn't one of the options he listed. He wants to know if he should dump tron for AFM.

#23 10 years ago

Oh, and as someone who is getting a Tron today, I couldn't be any higher on the game, but AFM is the better between the two. Having MM, which is quite similar does sort of complicate that decision though.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

that wasn't one of the options he listed. He wants to know if he should dump tron for AFM.

I'm indirectly saying keep Tron

#25 10 years ago

I'm adding AFM to my collection and I have all the same pins you do: MM, Tron, and LOTR. It's silly to worry about it being "too similar" to any of the other pins you have if you really like it. Get rid of the one you like least, not the one that you think is most similar to AFM.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Get rid of the one you like least, not the one that you think is most similar to AFM.

Good advise.

#27 10 years ago

The main reason I'd drop Tron is due to the fact that my wife and kids all play MM (by far the family favorite) and LOTR far more than Tron. Part of me thinks I should just keep what I've got but maybe also starting to consider a SM in place of the Tron. Who knows? I'm all over the place in my thoughts.

#28 10 years ago

Shhhhhhh...just sit and have a Margarita. Then get a Scared Stiff and call it a day...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salt Lake City, UT
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-compared-to-mm-and-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.