• 30 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wesperron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

100% working? yeah right.
I checked the fuses with a meter and all were good. I then pulled the connector at the driver board for the flippers and checked the posts for power and got nothing. So I got no power going to the flippers. They don't work in the test mode either.
Where do I look next?

the good news is the cabinet and playfield are in great shape.

#2 12 years ago

Door switch? Check all conectors at power board.

#3 12 years ago

Check the switches below flipper buttons inside cabinet. Clean them off if need be and make sure they are closing once hit to activate flippers. Easy to check and cross off the list if that is not the issue.

#4 12 years ago

Is the coin door open? High power off?

#5 12 years ago

Coin door was closed. I held the door button in when I tested. All other coils worked. All the connectors looked fine.

Like I said before I removed the connector on the board for the flippers and started a game. I then checked each post to see if the board was sending power to the flippers....Nothing on any post. There should be 50v.

#6 12 years ago

Man...Sorry to hear that wes, I know you were probably pretty pumped to put a few games on your new super pin..

#7 12 years ago

Check your fuses again and see if they are the correct ones in there Wes.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Check your fuses again and see if they are the correct ones in there Wes.

Ok, I never did check to see the value of each one...I just tested to see if they were good. I'll have more time to look at it tonight.

#9 12 years ago

Also. The person I bought it from has sold many pinball machines, he flips them. He has sold 20 or more.
So If it was an easy fix I'm sure he would have fixed it. Unless this happened in transit. But I don't see any broken solder joints. I'm going to look a little closer tonight.

#10 12 years ago

I know it won't help you with your current situation but, I have a novel to write about the pin I received yesterday. Beat to hell (I sorta knew this), no balls (where oh where are your balls), on start up the field lights up on the GI then....nothing (this doesn't seem like "everything works just great")

However, I knew it was gonna be my first project pin, I just didn't know the challenge was going to be this great.

Oh yeah, last note, I left my phone in a restaurant about an hour from here...and guess where all of my HS2 pics are during this reassemble stage????? Yep, you guessed it, right there on the phone. lol... I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

#11 12 years ago

Gorilla, I've learned that the more it takes to get a pin back to into good playing condition....the more rewarding it is when your done.

But I dislike dishonest sellers. I'm waiting to see whats wrong with these flippers before I blast him.

#12 12 years ago

Is there a flipper relay on WPC-S machines? Can't remember.
Do the buttons work in switch test mode?

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

But I dislike dishonest sellers. I'm waiting to see whats wrong with these flippers before I blast him.

Yeah, I am talking all smiles right now but, as soon as I hear from my seller, I will decide if I will be happy Gorilla or tear you apart limb by limb Gorilla.

#14 12 years ago

Wes, I know you checked, but doesn't each flipper have it's own board and fuse?

#15 12 years ago

Wes, look at the bright side. You have found an AFM ( my dream machine)!! You will figure it out and it is a really great feeling when you solve a problem like this . I recently had a similar experience with a recently delivered BSD and it turned out to be a bad / grounded wire. I also just figured out how to get hi wire multi ball on CV to work as designed. With a nice play field and cabinet it is going to be a great pin for a long time. Good hunting.

#16 12 years ago

Which connector and which pins did you test for 50V to the flippers? It looks like 51VAC comes in through J102 pins 5 and 6 (tied together) and 8 and 9 (tied together).

From there you'll hit BR3 and out directly to TP6 (test point 6) so I'd first check that spot for 50VDC. If it doesn't check out then check the AC into J102 to see if you're getting power to BR3. If so, then BR3 is very likely your culprit. Otherwise, you probably have one of the fuses inline with the flipper supply out or maybe just a bad connector (J109 pins 5 and 7 are 50V out for the flippers). A failed C8 (and maybe even R260) could certainly cause problems so if BR3 is or isn't bad, I'd check those also. In either case, if you're pulling the driver board to do other repairs it's probably wise to replace C8 regardless.

http://www.gamesroomservices.com/PinballManuals/Williams_WPC-S_Schematic_Manual_(16-9834.2).pdf

Pages 4 & 7 have the schematics you'll want to look over.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks Jay, Thats what I'm looking for.
I looked at the schematics and I understand what what you said above. I will check out Br3 tonight. I will check both sides of it to make sure I got power going in and out.. I have a feeling that's it. But we'll see. Thanks this has been very helpful.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

+ 1

Really annoying if seller knows about a fault and pretends otherwise...

#19 12 years ago

Hang in there wes. Sorry to hear about this. What a letdown.

#20 12 years ago

Ok, there was a little confusion as I mistakenly had the wrong schematics. But I was able to test the 50v and the led was on for it...all the led's on the driver board that should be on are on.

So I rechecked every dam fuse one more time to be sure. And I'm still not getting the 50v power at the J119 connector that goes to the flippers.

So I have decided to swap out the driver boards from MB and see for sure. If it is the problem I may just buy a new board as this one is a little hacked. I will do that tonight.

It's not looking good for the seller of this machine, He's gonna get blasted with terrible feedback if in fact it's the driver board because that don't happen in shipping. He said it was working 100% and it appears it had a bad driver board or at least the flipper part of it.

I'll know for sure tonight.

#21 12 years ago

Try and get him to fix it before you blast him. You might be able to get a few bucks out of him.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Try and get him to fix it before you blast him. You might be able to get a few bucks out of him.

I will but this guy started off bad by looking for more $$ after the auction was over. I think he felt it sold too quick. I've also heard from a friend after I purchsed it that the guy was not reputable.
He sells alot of pins too. We'll see.

#23 12 years ago

Seriously, you can ask for a reserve price and even SET the initial bid price. If ya don't like the sold auction price..... tough titty! You should been a wiser lister, don't take it out on the buyer.

#24 12 years ago

This just sucks, wes! Your story has pretty much convinced me to never purchase a pin sight unseen. There are just too many people out there who are willing to screw you over for a buck. I sure hope you figure it out soon, and that it turns out to be an easy and inexpensive fix.

#25 12 years ago

sounds like you bought a 'project' game or fixer upper - that sucks
hope you didn't pay too much

#26 12 years ago

I switched driver boards with MB and I still got no flippers. So i guess thats not the problem. I'm assuming that means I got a wiring problem within the game.

When I do a solonoid test there are 2 other coils that don't work "left gate" and "right gate".
These two solonoids also come from the same J119 connector as the flippers. The connector looks fine. On the test I can see they are the red/violet and red/gray wires. I can see in the solonoid chart that these wires are also used to run the Upper left and right flippers, but this game don't have those upper flippers. So I guess it's telling me that if this game had 4 flippers all would be dead.

A switch test on the flipper buttons show good.

I'm not sure what this is telling me.

#27 12 years ago

At this point I'm going to assume you've re-seated every connector in the game, but did you try the connectors on the little coin door interface board inside the cabinet on the left side below the left flipper switch?

I also thought it might be the playfield fuse, but apparently they did away with this fuse at some point because my TZ doesn't have one.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

At this point I'm going to assume you've re-seated every connector in the game, but did you try the connectors on the little coin door interface board inside the cabinet on the left side below the left flipper switch?

I just tried that.
still no flippers. When I open the coin door the game knows it's open.

Whatever it is it effects all 4 of the circuits comming from J119. Both flippers and the two upper flipper circuits that are used in this game as 2 gate coils circuits. Ground maybe?

#29 12 years ago

Check for cut wires,Trace the wires going from the connectors to under playfield.The reason
i say this is because you never know what the previous owners do to these machines i
have seen some weird things

#30 12 years ago

I tested the flippers by grounding them out with a wire and they fire. So they are getting power.
The flipper buttons test fine.
I'm thinking this is a grounding issue. Maybe a cut ground wire? I didn't see any cut wires.
Any ideas on how to test if the flipper coils are grounding properly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
$ 21.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-arrives-with-dead-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.