Topic poll

“MM and AFM in a small collection?”

• Way too similar, move on 20 votes
    30%
  • Somewhat similar but probably OK if you love the themes of both 20 votes
    30%
  • Actually pretty different, would work fine 17 votes
    26%
  • Stop being an idiot, take a left turn and get TNA or another completely different game 9 votes
    14%

(66 votes)

#1 9 months ago

I tried searching as I suspect this question has been asked before. Here is my situation. Very limited space. Part of which is due to having an air hockey table and shuffleboard table. So, my current game lineup is a multicade, a Genco 2-player basketball, a Williams Pinchhitter, DILE and MMR. I may be able to squeeze in another pinball machine; however, the question is how similar are MM and AFM? The last few times my wife and I have been playing games it has been the Genco first followed by MM. Since she has passed over playing the DI, I asked if she thought we should sell it to get something else (we both really like MM). Since I tend to ADD, I'm always ready to change things up but before a put up an ad, I figured I would be prepared for potential trade offers.

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I tried searching as I suspect this question has been asked before. Here is my situation. Very limited space. Part of which is due to having an air hockey table and shuffleboard table. So, my current game lineup is a multicade, a Genco 2-player basketball, a Williams Pinchhitter, DILE and MMR. I may be able to squeeze in another pinball machine; however, the question is how similar are MM and AFM? The last few times my wife and I have been playing games it has been the Genco first followed by MM. Since she has passed over playing the DI, I asked if she thought we should sell it to get something else (we both really like MM). Since I tend to ADD, I'm always ready to change things up but before a put up an ad, I figured I would be prepared for potential trade offers.

IMHO, wait for MBr.

#3 9 months ago

IMO, AFM and MM are WAY too similar for a small collection. I prefer AFM. Why doesn’t she like the DI? What about Star Trek or something like that? TNA or IMDN or ACDC would pair nicely with MM.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Why doesn’t she like the DI?

It's not that she doesn't like it, it's just that she much prefers MM. Of course, to be perfectly honest, we've been married for 40+ years and I still haven't got a clue what the hell goes on in her mind half the time.

#5 9 months ago

I have both MM and AFM in a small collection (5 pins) and both get tons of play. While they are very similar, they feel different enough for us. Love both.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It's not that she doesn't like it, it's just that she much prefers MM. Of course, to be perfectly honest, we've been married for 40+ years and I still haven't got a clue what the hell goes on in her mind half the time.

LOL, yeh, that’s how it goes! Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE MM! It’s just I would play AFM way more if that’s all I had, and the shots are SO similar.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I have both MM and AFM in a small collection (5 pins) and both get tons of play. While they are very similar, they feel different enough for us. Love both.

5 is a LOT more than 2.

I have a SuperChexx and a MAME cabinet too. And ping pong and darts. But I only have 2 pins (for now). Five would be MASSIVE increase in my collection. The Pinchhitter isn’t REALLY a pin, even though it’s awesome!

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

IMO, AFM and MM are WAY too similar for a small collection. I prefer AFM. Why doesn’t she like the DI? What about Star Trek or something like that?

Completely agree with you. Star Trek is great. I would also highly recommend Spider-man and the Walking Dead. If you wanna try a music pin I'd go with Metallica or Maiden. Definitely think you should do a Stern instead of an AFM/MBr.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

If you were to guess a stack ranking of most to least played in your collection, what would it be?

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

5 is a LOT more than 2.

I have a SuperChexx and a MAME cabinet too. And ping pong and darts. But I only have 2 pins (for now). Five would be MASSIVE increase in my collection.

Fair enough. If I had to go down to two it would be AFM and MM that stay.

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

If you were to guess a stack ranking of most to least played in your collection, what would it be?

1) MM
2) AFM
3) TSPP
4) LOTR
5) Shrek

#12 9 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Completely agree with you. Star Trek is great. I would also highly recommend Spider-man and the Walking Dead. If you wanna try a music pin I'd go with Metallica or Maiden. Definitely think you should do a Stern instead of an AFM/MBr.

Yeh, even just the Pro version of Star Trek is an AWESOME pin! WD is super cool, as is MET, although I’d go for Aerosmith or ACDC over those. All just depends on what theme you think your wife might like. I tell you what else was a surprisingly fun pin, even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the movies: Shrek! My wife and I played one for an hour and couldn’t stop laughing!

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Yeh, even just the Pro version of Star Trek is an AWESOME pin! WD is super cool, as is MET, although I’d go for Aerosmith or ACDC over those. All just depends on what theme you think your wife might like. I tell you what else was a surprisingly fun pin, even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the movies: Shrek! My wife and I played one for an hour and couldn’t stop laughing!

We're both fans of humor, and as we tend to be high in the smart-assery category, the more sarcastic the better.

#14 9 months ago

I have both games. They are very similar and different.

At our home. Medieval Madness definitely gets the most love form Children and Spouse.

AFMRLE is my favorite all time game. In my opinion bettter than original.

If I was in your shoes. That would be tough. I'd start with one. Recommend AFMRLE if you can afford it

#15 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

We're both fans of humor, and as we tend to be high in the smart-assery category, the more sarcastic the better.

MM is WAY funnier than AFM, obviously. Funhouse and WH2O are also funny games.

#16 9 months ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I have both games. They are very similar and different.
At our home. Medieval Madness definitely gets the most love form Children and Spouse.
AFMRLE is my favorite all time game. In my opinion bettter than original.
If I was in your shoes. That would be tough. I'd start with one. Recommend AFMRLE if you can afford it

Agree COMPLETELY on AFMr LE!! But you have 18 pins, and the OP already has MM with only room for a 2nd pin. AFMr LE will be my 5th pin buy, even though it’s my favorite. I MAYBE have room for 7...

#17 9 months ago

Bwahahaha!! I just saw the poll choices. I love smartass humor as well, which is why I picked the last option.

#18 9 months ago

They seem like two completely different games to me but I guess they have some similarities. If you love playing both of them then they will be the perfect games to own. No sense getting a game you don't like as much or not sure just because it's different.

#19 9 months ago

If you have not played IMDN, give it a try before you decide. Best new pin I've played in years.

#20 9 months ago

Get both they look alike but play way differently.

#21 9 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If you have not played IMDN, give it a try before you decide. Best new pin I've played in years.

It's strange but I just don't get excited about music pins. My wife and I are huge Beatles fans. So while part of me thinks we'll just have to get a Beatles pin, I'm not really that jazzed about it.

#22 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It's strange but I just don't get excited about music pins. My wife and I are huge Beatles fans. So while part of me thinks we'll just have to get a Beatles pin, I'm not really that jazzed about it.

I'm the same as you-all, only a casual interest in music pins and did not own one. Maiden was just too good playing to pass up--Elwin really knocked this dead. Word is Beatles is coming, that might be worth waiting for.

#23 9 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I tried searching as I suspect this question has been asked before.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-or-mmr

I had the same situation a few months ago. I own AFMr, WOZ and I went with a DI instead of MMr. I don't think you can go wrong either way (in this case it's an AFMr).

Ask JJHLH. He only has MMr and AFMr in his collection and says they both keep him entertained as his only two games.

#24 9 months ago
Quoted from AFM95:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-or-mmr
I had the same situation a few months ago. I own AFMr, WOZ and I went with a DI instead of MMr. I don't think you can go wrong either way (in this case it's an AFMr).
Ask JJHLH. He only has MMr and AFMr in his collection and says they both keep him entertained as his only two games.

I'll do that, thanks

#25 9 months ago

Checking the poll this AM to see if there is any consensus. Let's see what I have here: 15 that are in the 'don't do it' category (adding responses 1 and 4 together), 13 in the 'no problem' bucket and 16 'maybe's' Man is that ever helpful!

(Actually, the intent of this thread was to determine potential trade options for my DILE. I'm thinking AFM would be a reasonable choice. Thanks for everyone's input, particularly those who have owned both. Of course, more input is always welcomed)

#26 9 months ago

my opinion is that the games actually feel/play pretty different. ive owned both and love both.

#27 9 months ago

How about a MM and Wms IJ combo? I like both MM and AfM but think they are similar and much prefer MM. I find AFM to be rather simple.

#28 9 months ago

If you want odd humor, get a Tales from the Crypt and take the wife on a nice long weekend getaway with the money you saved.

#29 9 months ago

My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr LE and I couldn’t be happier. I had 3 modern games before this but sold them to make the change. I would recommend getting the machines that you love the most.

#30 9 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

If you want odd humor, get a Tales from the Crypt and take the wife on a nice long weekend getaway with the money you saved.

How do you know his wife would provide odd humor?

#31 9 months ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

How do you know his wife would provide odd humor?

The most humorous aspect of this response is that my wife was an English teacher and is always giving me crap about improper/unclear antecedents

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 87.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Phoenix, AZ
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside