Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tracelifter
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1010507.JPG

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

If you have the money I guess... I would never pay that much for a single game myself. I think that kind of money is better spent elsewhere. Still would love to own either game, but not for that price.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

AND CP is an awesome game and much more complete than CC...

Yea, that video mode where you control a spittoon trying to catch peoples' spit is awesome..

#53 5 years ago

AFM is the perfect game.

A beginner can step right up and enjoy it, and an experienced pinhead can play it for years and never fully master it.

It is funny without being "gay".

The music is amazing and of course the cow mode is the stuff of legend.

Easily the most fun pin ever created.

When you hear someone brag "we used 80 solenoids and over 60 switches!" you just want to raise your hand and ask "yeah, but is it more fun than AFM? It only has 12 solenoids....."

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It is funny without being "gay".

Agree but let's get over the hole "gay" thang.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree but let's get over the hole "gay" thang.

Think of how great Shadow would be without the "gay" Farley mode.

#56 5 years ago

Just in case you forgot.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Think of how great Shadow would be without the "gay" Farley mode.

Doesn't really change anything.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Doesn't really change anything.

The Shadow is this dark and atmospheric theme, and then they add this terrible Farley music and callouts making him sound "gay", even though Tim Curry does not play a gay man in the movie.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Shadow is this dark and atmospheric theme,

It's kind of a stupid theme where a man has the ability to change people minds and make them think he has a bigger nose....I never quite got it. But I'm not old enough to know the original text...just the Baldwin movie.

EDIT: As for the pin it's a decent player.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's kind of a stupid theme where a man has the ability to change people minds and make them think he has a bigger nose....I never quite got it. But I'm not old enough to know the original text...just the Baldwin movie.

"Whose goofy pin music makes straight dudes crave the D?? The Shadow, yo!"

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's kind of a stupid theme

Almost all latter superhero comics (like Batman) were based on The Shadows premise of a wealthy bachelor who has a secret identity of a masked vigilante - although The Shadow was darker than many.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Almost all latter superhero comics (like Batman) were based on The Shadows premise of a wealthy bachelor who has a secret identity of a masked vigilante - although The Shadow was darker than many.

Never really been into Comic Strips that much. Some are fun though...obviously as a cat lover Garfield is tops.
EDIT: And Marmadue is THE worst...uff.

#63 5 years ago

Sold a restored one for more than that in March of this year.

Buyer knew of MMr and the possibility of an AFM remake.

There will always be a market for quality original, regardless of remake talk.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

considering it was the econo line flagship of the b/w era, it was the cheapest game for them to make. Half the parts on it over any other game made

Having a ton of crap on the game does not always make it a great game. You mentioned IM & you can even use SM as an example of another game that isnt loaded with a ton of toys & boht these demand high prices cause they are great games. Then you look at games like XMLE & TFLE, Both these have a ton of crap on them and arent nearly as valuable or fun IMO.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Shadow is this dark and atmospheric theme, and then they add this terrible Farley music and callouts making him sound "gay", even though Tim Curry does not play a gay man in the movie.

He doesn't play it very well, as he still comes across as gay in the movie, even tho he tries to hit on a girl.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Having a ton of crap on the game does not always make it a great game. You mentioned IM & you can even use SM as an example of another game that isnt loaded with a ton of toys & boht these demand high prices cause they are great games. Then you look at games like XMLE & TFLE, Both these have a ton of crap on them and arent nearly as valuable or fun IMO.

But the also feel and look cheap. Hence the econo aspect of cutting corners in manufacturing. AFM is the econo game of B/W. really has nothing to do if it's fun or not, just looks and feel. BBH is actually pretty fun but feels cheap.

#67 5 years ago

My favorite game and I always say it but no I do not think it fetches 12K unless it is a HEP restore or someone else with high level skills bringing it up to a level above NIB.

#68 5 years ago

So what you are saying here is...
There is no way AFM is 12,000 game, unless it is.

#69 5 years ago

I think the owners of every AFM I've restored have at least $12000 invested in the game. Not pointing fingers here, but I love when others say these people are stupid for spending that kind of money on a pinball machine, yet these same stupid people earn the kind of money that allows them to afford a $12000 toy.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Yea, that video mode where you control a spittoon trying to catch peoples' spit is awesome..

So because the spittoon isn't the best video mode that means it's not awesome?? Ok....

The cab is beautiful as is the playfield and backglass, the toys, while somewhat repetitive are inventive, unique and integrated well. The game is an original theme done very well with funny call outs and it's fairly rare. If your only knock is the video mode I think that means it's a pretty good game. It's not like AFM's video mode is much different...aim back and forth to shoot the ships...

#71 5 years ago

I'm close to 10 on my. Need to reel myself in.

I will say this though - the PF art is horrendous. Inserts / plastics are OK, but the weird angle of the capital building / man-woman look like garbage.

It's very shiny bad art!

#72 5 years ago

I'm at a little over $12k on mine. This was after MMr announcement. There will alway be a market for great examples of the original.

#73 5 years ago

While some probably have an agenda, bet quite a few guys that say they would never spend over 3-5 grand for a game here, have never had the opportunity to see or play on a pristine fully restored game with a cc'd playfield, from any one of the top restorers in the country.

Remember my first time I played one. Must be what meth is like. Pinball meth. It ruined me.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seriously?
I know of 3 people personally who have more than $10k in an AFM that they either own now, or have in the past (not including posters on Pinside that I don't know personally). And if you want someone to raise their hand in terms of having more than $10k invested, I am waving my hand. Both of them actually.
» YouTube video

Rob that is yours I know...I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Looks sooooooo badasss. This game is what pinball is all about. FUN!

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think the owners of every AFM I've restored have at least $12000 invested in the game. Not pointing fingers here, but I love when others say these people are stupid for spending that kind of money on a pinball machine, yet these same stupid people earn the kind of money that allows them to afford a $12000 toy.

Stupid person here I guess!

I know the AFM Bryan did for me will not be leaving anytime soon. Everyone that comes to play it is amazed and says it's probably the nicest AFM they had ever seen.

Gotta love people on here who constantly are telling others how they should spend their $$$.

#76 5 years ago

Deals may be few and far between, but they are still out there. Less than a year ago I got an AFM with a chromed and restored cabinet, an uninstalled Mirco playfield came with the deal, as well as new uninstalled ramps. Price? 6k!

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I got an AFM with a chromed and restored cabinet

Now that's something that I'd like to see...

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm at a little over $12k on mine. This was after MMr announcement. There will alway be a market for great examples of the original.

Yes! Confusing the remakes with a collectors quality original is silly. They both have a place.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My HSII is being restored. Its all about intrinsic value. I'm sure I look stupid to some but its worth every penny to me.
The only place I probably deviate in thought is just because I put X in to a game I love I certainly don't expect to get it back.

#80 5 years ago

If anyone wants a Chris Hutchins (Pre-HEP) AFM for $12K with little mileage on it, please PM me.

#81 5 years ago

i restored my AFM myself and it was still pretty expensive - playfield, Bill Ung kits, replacement parts, new cabinet decals, plastics, rebuild of the strobe board, strobe light, lighted backboard (which i wired myself based on Bryan's pics - thanks Bryan), shaker motor etc - it adds up fast. That does not even include tools and cleaning solutions you buy along the way....

I did mine a while back and it is even more expensive now but every year I seem to add something to the game to keep it interesting- this year it is the new laseriffic topper and AFM martian launch button. The launch buttons are pretty cool.

P1010507.JPG
#82 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seriously?
I know of 3 people personally who have more than $10k in an AFM that they either own now, or have in the past (not including posters on Pinside that I don't know personally). And if you want someone to raise their hand in terms of having more than $10k invested, I am waving my hand. Both of them actually.
» YouTube video

Not invested in one (I understand people who have one restored have more than 10k invested in one), I'm talking about someone to raise their hand and say they bought one on Pinside for over 10k out of the market place. Very different things.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not invested in one (I understand people who have one restored have more than 10k invested in one), I'm talking about someone to raise their hand and say they bought one on Pinside for over 10k out of the market place. Very different things.

Why does that matter?

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

man-woman look like garbage.

yes, she(?) is hideous. I actually thought my game had a bad touch up on her until i got that new playfield.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

The only place I probably deviate in thought is just because I put X in to a game I love I certainly don't expect to get it back.

Kudos to you for that. Alot of people think this is suppposed to be a free or a for profit hobby. I've been in the hobby four years and it's cost me about $250 per year so far. I say about because i am just going off the top of my head. i don't save receipts like some people do (not judging you if you do).

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why does that matter?

Well, it is a small difference but a difference nonetheless. I would spend $6,000 having a HEP level restore done to my pride and joy Doctor Who. I've owned the game NIB since 1992 and it is my baby machine. I would not buy a DW for $6,000 . . . that would be bad judgment.

The market for AFM is not at or above 10k based on what I can tell, though some people who really love the game have a master like Keller, McCune, or HEP restore them for them and they have over 10k into them.

Again, all of this is just my observations, doesn't mean they are correct.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

yes, she(?) is hideous. I actually thought my game had a bad touch up on her until i got that new playfield.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the manlady was based on a female employee (a receptionist) at WMS ?

Yikes!

#88 5 years ago

I believe (or would like to believe, anyway) that the receptionist is the beautiful woman on the translight. Don't know who the playfield woman is...

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Wtf when did this pass mm for most expensive overrated game it's ok but it's definitely not a 12000 dollar game IMO anybody with me here?

im with you. dont see what all the fuss is over AFM to be honest.

#90 5 years ago

Price tags on AFM are one of the huge reasons I am glad I bought RFM .

Yeah, RFM is AFM's lil brother - no doubt - but I still get the martians jumping and talking, some great humor, a couple lil spaceships, and some great light shows and sound effects for a literal 1/4 of the stated thread topic's price, AND a full movie of "I Just Came from Uranus" if I hold down my flipper long enough - Woohoo!!!! (tongue in cheek comment - obviously it's not a real or full movie)

I loved AFM when I was 15 in 1996 - that pinball machine was in the pinnacle of my teen years. I absolutely LOVED that game. I remember it being at $3000 in summer 2009 when I took study breaks in Digital Logic, and I knew after school I could afford one.

Three years later once I finally was done with my degree and OTS = BOOM = $8000+. It angered me and I went on a price policing storm like none other. Then I remembered the song by the Stones: "You can't....always get....what you want...."

So, meh, life goes on - I am genuinely happy for those that can afford AFM. I have a decent number of friends up here that have it not even 1 hour away - so hey - I can still play it from time to time ! I got my own lil' snippet of Mars with RFM, so hey, like the song says "But if you try some time...you might find...you get what you need!"

Do I think the prices for the game are out of line - oh undeniably I do. Am I jealous of others that own it - nah . Life's too short to be upset that others can have what I realistically can't - for now.

Will I buy a $8000 remake if it comes into fruition.....? Woooooooooooo....that's a scary question, and the fact I can't simply type "No" gives me a hint as to my answer...

#91 5 years ago

I do not think anyone is stupid for paying what they can comfortably afford, be it a high end restoration, player's machine or NIB. There are people all over the world who make more than me as well as people who make less than me. Its all relative. As for me, I take into consideration what I make, my cost of living and what is left over for me to spend on something that I want, but don't need. If I hit powerball that would obviously change things, but for right now I would not want to spend anywhere near what that machine or any other big ticket games sell for. I can not speak for others. If someone else can buy those games, that is great. If there are some pinsiders who work hard and have good paying jobs, they deserve to be able to buy whatever they want. If I can't afford those same machines or if I chose not to spend the money on them, I am not going to consider someone foolish or judge them because they do buy them and I don't. Some people thought I was stupid because I spent $700 on a TZ years ago. I got a lot of, "You spent how much on a WHAT??????????????" To each his own I guess.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'm close to 10 on my. Need to reel myself in.
I will say this though - the PF art is horrendous. Inserts / plastics are OK, but the weird angle of the capital building / man-woman look like garbage.
It's very shiny bad art!

I agree. The cab art is ok, translite is ok but the PF art is terrible. The whole artwork package to me pales in comparison to its smaller brother RFM.

#93 5 years ago

I won't get into the whole "What is this really worth" game but I will say that I always have a blast playing AFM and if I was at the part of my life where I had 10K to wipe my butt with, I'd love to have a shining example in my house. I think the game can be played by all ages and gender. It's easy to understand, funny sounds, and a decent toy.

#94 5 years ago

buy a spiderman for 1/2 (or) the price. sorry. (ducks and covers)

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

buy a spiderman for 1/2 (or) the price. sorry. (ducks and covers)

Spiderman is certainly SR's ode to Brian Eddy, and it is a great, much deeper game - but it is just not as fun.

#96 5 years ago

I have been offered 8K for my AFM and turned it down.
I suppose I could sell it for that and then buy a blown out beater for 7-8K and do it all over again.
Not.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I have been offered 8K for my AFM and turned it down.
I suppose I could sell it for that and then buy a blown out beater for 7-8K and do it all over again.
Not.

You can buy a nice one for $7.5k with $1k in extra's here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-afm-in-topeka-ks

That's a pretty nice game, and far from a beater.

#98 5 years ago

Some games run higher than others. Love it, don't care or hate it, AFM is a top pin in the collectors market. Top pins are run at the higher end of the price scale and high end versions of that pin are going to be in the 95% interval, so to speak. MM got a little crazy for a mass produced pin. AFM was never at MMs pinnacle, but it remains desirable. Right now, its anyone's guess if it will be remade. If its not remade, it could go very high over time.

None of that matters to me, I paid top dollar for an immaculate game. Anyone here that has seen Bryan Kelly's Indiana Jones restore thread can appreciate his incredible craftsmanship. My game was worth every penny to me. That's really all that matters since it was my pennies.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Stupid person here I guess!
I know the AFM Bryan did for me will not be leaving anytime soon. Everyone that comes to play it is amazed and says it's probably the nicest AFM they had ever seen.
Gotta love people on here who constantly are telling others how they should spend their $$$.

You do have the nicest AFM out there!!! Haven't seen any other AFM better than yours!!

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

quite a few like AFM better than MM, I was curious why one over the other? Is it theme or does AFM play better?

I like AFM better because the scoring is balanced. MM doesn't give you any incentive to shoot anything but the castle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 135.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 89.99
€ 3.70
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 30.00
Pinball Machine
Habos Arcade
$ 99.00
$ 239.00
$ 89.99
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside