Aerosmith toy box issue ? Gets weak and won't open ?

(Topic ID: 185851)

Aerosmith toy box issue ? Gets weak and won't open ?

By Phatchit

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Pinballology
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Happing to you”

• Yes 18 votes
    29%
  • No 23 votes
    37%
  • Don't give a sh*! 22 votes
    35%

(63 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

hqdefault (resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

What's up everyone ! My client received his Aerosmith pro last week and all of a sudden the toy box started getting weaker with the more games we played . He contacted stern and they sent a new coil . I installed the new coil ,checked for any bonding issues ,but during gameplay same thing ? The next thing was switching the node boards and it still is an issue . I'm going to look again for any binding issues when I go back out ,but I doubt I will find any . Has anyone else had anything like this happen yet ? Besides this issue I really enjoy the game and can't wait for some more time on it . I'm just asking for my own curiosity . Thanks guys/gals and have a good night .

#2 1 year ago

Binding issue first - coil opening it may be different than using fingers.

Next up I'd suspect any IDC connector along the way from board to coil, be sure wires are pushed in tight and making a good connection.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

I will check the connectors just to make sure . It just seems strange that it happens after a few games . It does a thing where it will open twice then shut and stop trying . I do agree that it seems like a binding issue but it played great for about a week and the all of a sudden after about 20 games it just gets weaker and weaker . Anyway thanks LTG. I'll keep this thread updated when I find out.

#4 1 year ago

One of the Aerosmith pins at Arcade Expo had the same issue. I don't have insight into exactly why or how to fix, but I did experience this too. The kicker would launch the ball towards the closed toy box, and it would bounce off of Jacky's head. Some people playing it thought that was intentional, but it seemed like a fault related to the toy box opening properly.

#5 1 year ago

A location machine in Belgium has this too.

#6 1 year ago

We saw this same issue on the machine at M-Brew in MI the day they got it. I'm not local to that area, so I don't know if it's been fixed or not.

#7 1 year ago

There are times when the box closes and hits Jackie in the head on purpose. Jackie says "You wouldn't hit a guy in the head with a steel ball" or "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses". This is normal.

I don't know about the slow lid opening - it sounds like something is heating up though so I suspect connections.

If no binding problems buy some cold spray from an electronics store. If the box works correctly after a shot of cold you've at least localized the problem.

#8 1 year ago

A common problem with the box is too high kick out setting and the ball hits the left side of the box and bounces out. You can adjust this in settings (about 80 lower will do it). I'm just posting this for new owner's - has nothing to do with your problem.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Traveler76:

One of the Aerosmith pins at Arcade Expo had the same issue. I don't have insight into exactly why or how to fix, but I did experience this too. The kicker would launch the ball towards the closed toy box, and it would bounce off of Jacky's head. Some people playing it thought that was intentional, but it seemed like a fault related to the toy box opening properly.

wtatumjr is correct is saying the box isn't supposed to open each time.

In a single player game I believe it is supposed to open to catch the ball each time a ball is locked, but in a multiplayer game...it depends on the circumstance. EX: If player 1 locks a ball in the box and then player 2 gets a lock....the game will purposely keep the lid closed for that ball (as a ball is already in the box from player 1). So it just depends how many ball are physically in the box, what player is locking the ball and how many they are supposed to have locked in there.

I realize, this doesn't sound like it pertains to the issue the OP is asking about. I just wanted to explain why the toy box doesn't open for each ball lock in a multiplayer game.

#10 1 year ago

Sweet guys ! I appreciate the feedback . The coil is getting warm as well as I think it was q28 on the node board . It is also definitely something weird because it tries to open twice and then gives up . Even when a ball launches from the lock it stays closed . Now if I help it open it stays open . It seems that it's not giving it the umph it needs

#11 1 year ago

This seems odd that a steel ball would be launched at a non bash toy on purpose

#12 1 year ago

I can confirm there are occasions where the ball is launched at a purposefully closed toy box.

Think the problem is most of us play these games at shows where it's too loud to actually hear the prompting dialog that explains things.

But I'd agree this is a programming feature that feels more like a bug.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

I can confirm there are occasions where the ball is launched at a purposefully closed toy box.
Think the problem is most of us play these games at shows where it's too loud to actually hear the prompting dialog that explains things.
But I'd agree this is a programming feature that feels more like a bug.

...i assumed its part of the code

1 month later
#14 1 year ago

Never did figure this one out ?? Replaced the coil , adjusted coil stop , switch node boards and it still has this issue . Anyone find a fix

#15 1 year ago

I played a pro and the flippers would go limp every once in a while? Anyone else had this problem also?

#16 1 year ago

It seems like when the coil gets warm this can happen (it does on mine and I'm currently trying to find a fix). It seems like the low-power "hold" side of the coil isn't strong enough to keep the lid open once there is heat involved. This is not the same as when the game keeps the lid closed to hit Jacky. If swapping the coil didn't help, maybe a stronger coil is needed, at least for the low-power side (which holds the lid open). If I figure out a fix, I'll post here. It seems very unlikely this is a binding / mechanical issue with the lid as it only happens after the game has been played for 30 - 45 minutes, and then works again after a rest period.

#17 1 year ago

Hmmmm odd. I haven't seen this happen. Vid?

#18 1 year ago

Unfortunately it happens no matter what. I agree that it seems there is no holding power . If I manually lift it while it's engaged it will stay open but the slightest bump and it falls . It almost seems like it's not sending the hold pulse.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

Unfortunately it happens no matter what. I agree that it seems there is no holding power . If I manually lift it while it's engaged it will stay open but the slightest bump and it falls . It almost seems like it's not sending the hold pulse.

What code are you running?

#20 1 year ago

Seems very similar to the TSPP garage door issue. A new stronger coil fixed the problem for the garage door, I have no idea if it would work for this..

#21 1 year ago

I occasionally have the exact same issue. Looking forward to the fix.

#22 1 year ago

Are you sure this isn't code? If there are balls in the box and you restart a game or there is more then one player, it very well might drop the lid and launch balls into Jackie. The animations will show if the ball will go in or close and hit Jackie.

If the lock isn't lit then the ball will be kicked out, but not with any force at all. Just putting it back into play.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Are you sure this isn't code? If there are balls in the box and you restart a game or there is more then one player, it very well might drop the lid and launch balls into Jackie. The animations will show if the ball will go in or close and hit Jackie.
If the lock isn't lit then the ball will be kicked out, but not with any force at all. Just putting it back into play.

100% sure it's not intentionally in the code. Just not sure why it's problematic on some examples and not others. The problem may be able to be solved with a code tweak but the coil get quite warm and loses some of its power to open the lid entirely and/or hold the lid up. After the coil cools down, it works again. This is different than the times it fires the ball at Jacky's head or soft kicks out of the saucer when lock isn't lit.

#24 1 year ago

Yea what is confussing is that it does it no matter what . It does it right when we turn it on . It does two little pop opens and then just quits?

#25 1 year ago

Right, I understand that the game doesn't always open the box (and I think its a cool little feature in the design) but when I was playing the game simply did not open the toy box. At all. (On a single-player game if that makes a difference). Every lock attempt would launch the ball into Jacky but the software clearly thought it was a regular lock (not a 'oops- you hit Jacky' type of shot).

This game was played a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in the issue. In any case, I just mention it because it was pretty similar to what phatchit ran into. Wish I had more insight into the solution.

Quoted from DugFreez:

wtatumjr is correct is saying the box isn't supposed to open each time.
In a single player game I believe it is supposed to open to catch the ball each time a ball is locked, but in a multiplayer game...it depends on the circumstance. EX: If player 1 locks a ball in the box and then player 2 gets a lock....the game will purposely keep the lid closed for that ball (as a ball is already in the box from player 1). So it just depends how many ball are physically in the box, what player is locking the ball and how many they are supposed to have locked in there.
I realize, this doesn't sound like it pertains to the issue the OP is asking about. I just wanted to explain why the toy box doesn't open for each ball lock in a multiplayer game.

Quoted from Phatchit:

Sweet guys ! I appreciate the feedback . The coil is getting warm as well as I think it was q28 on the node board . It is also definitely something weird because it tries to open twice and then gives up . Even when a ball launches from the lock it stays closed . Now if I help it open it stays open . It seems that it's not giving it the umph it needs

2 weeks later
#26 1 year ago

Did anyone ever find a solution to the issue? I am now having the same issue on mine. Just started tonight! Coil gets really warm. I am going to let it cool off overnight and see if it is okay in the morning. The game was only on for a few hours and only had about 10 or 15 games on it tonight when it started happening!

Any help would be appreciated!
Ed

#27 1 year ago

What does stern say about this?

#28 1 year ago

seen this on a couple of on location machines.

#29 1 year ago

Played the one in Vegas at NEw York hotel
Same thing happened

#30 1 year ago

Is this issue happening on only pro's or only on prem/LE's or both?

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from DEN:

What does stern say about this?

hqdefault (resized).jpg

#32 1 year ago

Hahahahahahahaaaa. Tolk to da haend

#33 1 year ago

Happens on my premium. I installed a new coil but that didn't help. Haven't heard more from Stern yet.

#34 1 year ago

Having same issue on my LE.

#35 1 year ago

Wow , this ain't good

#36 1 year ago

Has Stern replied back with anything on this issue?

#37 1 year ago

Spoke to them today and they said they are aware of the issue but do not yet have a solution for it. They are trying to determine if it is a software or hardware issue. Hope to hear back from them soon!

On my game, I can usually get 4 or 5 games in before the issue starts. Once the coil heats up, the issue starts and I have to turn it off for a while and once coil cools down, it works again.

#38 1 year ago

Ok there was no fix from what I did . I did however run into a friend of mine that has a pro and seems to think that it is happening because of the lifting arm that is attached to the box lid and is sliding and causing the lifting issue . He has placed a washer to tighten it up on the c clamp . We will see if this is the issue fix .

#39 1 year ago

I would disconnect the linkage then manually raise the box lid to make sure there are no binding issues - just to rule that out.
Then make sure the lid is opening enough - if it's not there's weight that's not on the hinge but up to the coil to overcome - my Jeep hood is somewhat heavy but light once it's raised to a certain point. Then I'd look for slop in the linkage or mal adjusted linkage.

#40 1 year ago

I did all of these things . It is either a software issue or hopefully it's the arm issue

#41 1 year ago

Not having the issue on mine. What version of code are you running? I'm on 1.02, could it be an issue with 1.03?

#42 1 year ago

I am running version 1.03 on my LE. Was fine for the first couple weeks but is happening every day after about 4 or 5 games.

#43 1 year ago

1.02 premium and I have this issue

1 week later
#44 1 year ago

Any update from stern on this?

2 weeks later
#45 1 year ago

Out of the box a few months ago I had to replace both node boards and the toy box solenoid that burned up on first power on due to the defective node board. It took almost a month before the game could be played. Point is, both my boards were bad on arrival and perhaps their replacement board they sent you was bad as well? Either the boards are not surviving the shipping process or somebody is making a crappy node board.

And today I got a new problem! When the ball goes into the Toy Box a new ball no longer gets launched into the shooter lane. I have to wait for a ball search to eject the ball from the toy box to resume play. I sent stern a message asking what I should do as already checked the connections, boards, diagnostics, etc. I have collected five NIB Sterns over the years and this one is the most problematic by far. I've never had any problems at all with the other ones.

#46 1 year ago

Still no updates?

#47 1 year ago

Those of you with this issue, have you checked Switch 32 - Toy Box Lid? This switch may act like a EOS switch and tell the CPU when to go to hold power. OR is could be if this switch is not working, the CPU considers the lid mechanism broken.

Also, those of you with this issue, does the toy box lid "rattle" or shake up and down at multiball start during the animation?

Go into switch test and slowly open the lid to see when the switch registers.

#48 1 year ago

Please Stern for the next software put ball save at the pop bumper, few new song at crank it up and that's it, for the rest the game is complete and very fun

#49 1 year ago

A ball save would be nice when the ball eject to the toy box doesn't make it in. I've had more balls drain due to that, which it shouldn't because the ball was supposed to be locked in the box!!! Very frustrating

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

A ball save would be nice when the ball eject to the toy box doesn't make it in. I've had more balls drain due to that, which it shouldn't because the ball was supposed to be locked in the box!!! Very frustrating

Adjust the power to the coil. I have mine set to 183 and it hits the box 95% of the time. Every AS is different, a friend of mine has it on 171, so just adjust until it hits most of the time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
7,499 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
$ 8,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, MA
$ 24.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside