IMG_6464 (resized).jpg
IMG_6465 (resized).jpg
IMG_6466 (resized).jpg
IMG_6467 (resized).jpg
IMG_6468 (resized).jpg
IMG_6469 (resized).jpg
2A641784-1B35-4C8E-B3CB-6936B4CFE563 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I have the Aerosmith Pro machine, less than one week old, and having some issues with the Toybox. After loading the toybox to start toybox multi ball the toybox itself starts shaking and then opens up, barely, and then closes without letting any of the balls out. After a good 7-10 seconds the box opens up and starts the multi ball mode but once those three are gone, they are done....no others shoot onto the playfield. This is happening what seems to be 50% of the time. The machine was purchased BNIB, all connections under the table have been checked and re-checked. The toybox doesn't have any problem opening at all during any other part of the gameplay except when it's loaded for multiball.

Anyone else have this issues going on or heard of it? Could this possible be a software issues or am I looking at something deeper? All appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

This exact same thing happened to me. It did it three or four times over a few days and then just went away and hasn’t happened since. It’s been a month or two with no issues. This doesn’t really help, but at least you know you’re not alone.

#3 6 years ago

It's super annoying. Seems to me that it happens the first 3-4 games I play in the morning when I turn the actual machine on. I'm hoping that it goes away over time. The toybox itself opens and closes just fine throughout the entire game except when I have that bad boy loaded up and ready for the mulitball to start.....I'm trying to score some points!!!

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

A little update in the tech thread. I've been hammering the Walk This Way Thread. Stern is shipping me, I should have it tomorrow, a plunger cap for the inside of the toybox. They are hoping that might help solve the problem. I'll hit the thread with an update as soon as I have more information. Below is a couple youtube videos of what I've got going on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Ko9Jo4FJfR8VlfzV5P4Jg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballology:

A little update in the tech thread. I've been hammering the Walk This Way Thread. Stern is shipping me, I should have it tomorrow, a plunger cap for the inside of the toybox. They are hoping that might help solve the problem. I'll hit the thread with an update as soon as I have more information. Below is a couple youtube videos of what I've got going on.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Ko9Jo4FJfR8VlfzV5P4Jg

On the second video, it looks like the platform with the balls is already at the top before the lid even opens, which I don't think is right. Also when shooting video, if you turn your phone sideways and zoom in a little on the box only, it will give more resolution see what's going on.

#6 6 years ago

I can't see how that would be the plunger inside the toybox.

I'm sure you have seen the sequence when it works properly. After the lid shakes, just before the balls are pushed out of the box, the top pops opens fully. Yours is not opening fully and the plunger is trying to push open the lid. This is not right.

I bet your problem is in the coil and mechanism to pull the lid open. I would remove the lid coil, inspect the pawl for burrs, file or replace if needed. Inspect the lid hinge to make sure it is operating freely (mine flops open when I lift the playfield so is should be really loose). Replace the coil sleeve re-assemble and see what happens.

#7 6 years ago

This is what Stern sent me today. I’ll be replacing this tomorrow and taking videos of my results. Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll get to the bottom of it with everyone’s helps. Cheers!

2A641784-1B35-4C8E-B3CB-6936B4CFE563 (resized).jpeg2A641784-1B35-4C8E-B3CB-6936B4CFE563 (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

Oh, that part... Not what I was thinking when you said Toybox plunger!

That fits on the end of the coil plunger assembly. Should literally only take a second or two to install.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Oh, that part... Not what I was thinking when you said Toybox plunger!
That fits on the end of the coil plunger assembly. Should literally only take a second or two to install.

It wasn’t what I was expecting to arrive either. I will get it tossed on tomorrow afternoon and hopefully have some good news. If not, back to the drawing board with Chas at Stern.

#10 6 years ago

Installed the new plunger stop for toybox lid coil today, haven't had a single issue with the toybox opening for multiball since. Usually 50% of the time I was having failure to open for multiball and this seems to have fixed the problem. If you are having the same issue call Stern, talk to Chas, let them know you need the same part. Below are some pics of the breakdown, part comparison (HUGE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY IMHO). Thanks for following the thread. Any questions, shoot me a PM.

User Manual 5.36 Toy Box Up Kicker Assembly

I'll let the thread know if I have anymore issues. Cheers : )

IMG_6469 (resized).jpgIMG_6469 (resized).jpg

IMG_6468 (resized).jpgIMG_6468 (resized).jpg

IMG_6467 (resized).jpgIMG_6467 (resized).jpg

IMG_6466 (resized).jpgIMG_6466 (resized).jpg

IMG_6465 (resized).jpgIMG_6465 (resized).jpg

IMG_6464 (resized).jpgIMG_6464 (resized).jpg

IMG_6463 (resized).jpgIMG_6463 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

ISSUE NOT FIXED (haha)

Stern sent me a replacement Shaft Head (part no. 530-5511-01) and I replaced the piece a little over 24 hours ago. Game worked fine for a good dozen or so rounds.

I'm sure Chas loved the four emails I sent in a row....one new video, one of the pictures i did of the install yeterday (see above), one of a washer (which I found out the answer too, yes is is suppose to be bent), and another letting them know that the compression spring which is shown in the diagram was not in the mech at all.

This is the part that was left out of my machine. Compression spring-conical (part no. 266-5020-00)

I'm hoping that it's the spring that is the issue. It's so crazy that it worked fine for a dozen games yesterday and it stopped working today.

New Video:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.75
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-pro-toybox-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.