(Topic ID: 188778)

Aerosmith Premium or Ghostbusters Premium?

By pindude80

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“which one would you choose?”

• aerosmith premium 77 votes
    51%
  • ghostbusters premium 75 votes
    49%

(152 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

I went back and forth about both games, well AS Pro or a GB Premium, so many times that I made a list of pros and cons for each title and then compared them, lol.

Ultimately, through hours or scientific research I decided upon Ghostbusters Premium :p.

For me it came down to features, audio and rules. Features wise I think GB offers more unique toys then either AS model although the toy box is one hell of an awesome main toy.

Audio I choose GB as there are a lot of unique tracks recorded for the game and each mode has a unique track. Also, I prefer the custom callouts on GB by Ernie Hudson compared to those on AS. The AS Jester callouts seem very close to the Sparky callouts in Metallica but not as good. Overall GB has one of the best audio offerings in a pin.

Rules I choose Ghostbusters as I prefer objective based rulsets. Aerosmith has an objective based ruleset as well which I like but I gave GB the edge due to having 2 more main modes, 2 video modes and potentially a 3rd wizard mode (Are you a God) if it ever gets coded.

Display. Aerosmith as it's using a full color HD display. In the end the items above outweighed having an LCD in the game for me.

Can't go wrong with either game. I would be happy with either one.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

AS plays like ever other recent title out there. GB is far more imaginative and defiantly the better looking game.

Agree. AS is a great game, very fast, has a nice artwork, great main toy, etc. However, any game can be made fast with 2 orbits and 2 ramps that return to the flippers. It's been done many many times. I think AS uses the fan layout the best out of Stern's latest music games due to the great toy box mech. Between ACDC, MET, KISS and AS I think AS plays the best due to the toy box toy and it's objective based ruleset.

When I look at Ghostbusters I think of WOZ and TZ, game designs that took a chance on a unique layout and have unique shots and unique toys. I still may end up with an AS in my collection one day but for now Ghostbusters won me over with it's magna slings, subway ramp with ball lock, Ecto Goggles, moving Slimer, the molded buildings with lighting, amazing audio package, custom callouts by Ernie Hudson, excellent artwork, double scoop shots, two captive balls (one with a unique twist), video modes, and deep rules.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh FFS...you've rewritten your WOZ novel into a GB novel...and people say I'm repetitive w/ GB lol...

You really can't stand anyone saying anything good about Ghostbusters can you? lol

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

All true.
No gameplay mentioned in there. That's the problem.

Yes there is, you only copied one section of my reply...

#48 6 years ago

At least everyone is arguing about great games I guess... Hobbit, Aerosmith, Ghostbusters, now LOTR? lol. Wish I had them all!

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well, here's the rest of the post. Which bit is the GB gameplay?

When I compared it to WOZ and TZ due to its unique shots / layout. Both of those items deal with gameplay and the comparison to WOZ and TZ is intended as a compliment (fun loaded games with unique shots and deep code). If I didn't like the gameplay I would't have purchased the game.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB code isn't deep. It's linear and repetitive...combined with the cheap drains it's unlikely you'll ever see the later modes...unlike a real deep game that has lots of interesting ways to progress through the story. Frustrating + linear does not = deep.

There's no convincing you as you are the biggest GB hater on Pinside, lol. With that being said I'm surprised to hear you say that considering that The Hobbit, which you and I both own, has 3 wizard modes which require the player to complete the same 4 objectives each time. That's repetitive as well, same goes for Feast Frenzy and Beast Frenzy which are not really fun in my opinion (hoping code changes that). Qualifying for the second and third Arkenstone modes is one of the most reptiive tasks I've seen in pinball. Main draw for me with TH is the book modes and finally getting to actually play the Arkenstone modes.

All pinball machines are repetitive. In almost every single game of The Hobbit we start Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy, almost every damn time, lol. Also, for every time a GB player hears "Who brought the dog" the Hobbit player is hearing "He says we'll blunt the knives"...

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, cool, they do have to do with operating the game, but my point is that "a" shot, or "a" rule, or deep combination thereof are not the point. "Gameplay" is the progression through the game. "Playing" GB is, for many, not a satisfying or enjoyable experience. I have yet to talk to a single real person face to face at a pinball league or arcade in general, that plays a lot of pinball, who finds the game satisfying to play. Doesn't mean those people don't exist, life is a bell curve, but when you sum it up I stand by my comment that, generally, players prefer AS and theme-centric participants prefer GB.

Wow, really? I've talked to multiple people in a league I'm in and other local pin heads that love the game. GB is ranked fairly high for a reason, and it's not just due to it's theme.

Again, I like that GB is a difficult game with unique shots, many would agree. Fan layout games can get old after a while, especially in a smaller collection. It's cool that Ghostbusters offers a different playing experience then most modern games, a little variety never hurts.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm the hater? You've been going on and on about Stern's QC for a year (not that I disagree). I find it odd that you bit and took the risk, knowing what you know. Anyway, Ok, man...get back to me after a month with GB. You'll see it's a vastly different experience than the non-linear nature of Hobbit. Yes - you have to do 4 things to get an arkenstone....but you can do them in any order or not at all - there are so many things to do...and you can start book modes in any order. Anyway - you'll see.

Well with TH a player cannot easily start book modes in any order. If you want to change the next mode you want to attempt you need to hit the left ramp. There's 31 book modes in The Hobbit so you may have to hit the left ramp 10, 15, 20 or even 30 times to select a specific mode. With Ghostbusters you can start modes based on the ladder. Neither game has the ability to select a mode at the start of the game with the flippers (wouldn't want that option in either game personally).

I like The Hobbit a lot but the game really needs more incentive to play through the 31 book modes. Right now only 3 of the 31 book modes need to be completed to unlock the 3 Arkenstone modes. Hopefully a reward system (mode unlock, callout with points, Gift of the Elves reward type system, etc) is coded into the game for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20, etc modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 12.75
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-premium-or-ghostbusters-premium?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.