(Topic ID: 188778)

Aerosmith Premium or Ghostbusters Premium?

By pindude80

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“which one would you choose?”

• aerosmith premium 77 votes
    51%
  • ghostbusters premium 75 votes
    49%

(152 votes)

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well, here's the rest of the post. Which bit is the GB gameplay?

When I compared it to WOZ and TZ due to its unique shots / layout. Both of those items deal with gameplay and the comparison to WOZ and TZ is intended as a compliment (fun loaded games with unique shots and deep code). If I didn't like the gameplay I would't have purchased the game.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When I compared it to WOZ and TZ due to its unique shots and unique layout. Both of those items deal with game play and the comparison to WOZ and TZ is intended as a compliment (fun loaded games with unique shots and deep code).

GB code isn't deep. It's linear and repetitive...combined with the cheap drains it's unlikely you'll ever see the later modes...unlike a real deep game that has lots of interesting ways to progress through the story. Frustrating + linear does not = deep.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB code isn't deep. It's linear and repetitive...combined with the cheap drains it's unlikely you'll ever see the later modes...unlike a real deep game that has lots of interesting ways to progress through the story. Frustrating + linear does not = deep.

There's no convincing you as you are the biggest GB hater on Pinside, lol. With that being said I'm surprised to hear you say that considering that The Hobbit, which you and I both own, has 3 wizard modes which require the player to complete the same 4 objectives each time. That's repetitive as well, same goes for Feast Frenzy and Beast Frenzy which are not really fun in my opinion (hoping code changes that). Qualifying for the second and third Arkenstone modes is one of the most reptiive tasks I've seen in pinball. Main draw for me with TH is the book modes and finally getting to actually play the Arkenstone modes.

All pinball machines are repetitive. In almost every single game of The Hobbit we start Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy, almost every damn time, lol. Also, for every time a GB player hears "Who brought the dog" the Hobbit player is hearing "He says we'll blunt the knives"...

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When I compared it to WOZ and TZ due to its unique shots and unique layout. Both of those items deal with game play and the comparison to WOZ and TZ is intended as a compliment (fun loaded games with unique shots and deep code).

Yes, cool, they do have to do with operating the game, but my point is that "a" shot, or "a" rule, or deep combination thereof are not the point. "Gameplay" is the progression through the game. "Playing" GB is, for many, not a satisfying or enjoyable experience. I have yet to talk to a single real person face to face at a pinball league or arcade in general, that plays a lot of pinball, who finds the game satisfying to play. Doesn't mean those people don't exist, life is a bell curve, but when you sum it up I stand by my comment that, generally, players prefer AS and theme-centric participants prefer GB.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, cool, they do have to do with operating the game, but my point is that "a" shot, or "a" rule, or deep combination thereof are not the point. "Gameplay" is the progression through the game. "Playing" GB is, for many, not a satisfying or enjoyable experience. I have yet to talk to a single real person face to face at a pinball league or arcade in general, that plays a lot of pinball, who finds the game satisfying to play. Doesn't mean those people don't exist, life is a bell curve, but when you sum it up I stand by my comment that, generally, players prefer AS and theme-centric participants prefer GB.

Wow, really? I've talked to multiple people in a league I'm in and other local pin heads that love the game. GB is ranked fairly high for a reason, and it's not just due to it's theme.

Again, I like that GB is a difficult game with unique shots, many would agree. Fan layout games can get old after a while, especially in a smaller collection. It's cool that Ghostbusters offers a different playing experience then most modern games, a little variety never hurts.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's cool that Ghostbusters offers a different playing experience then most modern games, a little variety never hurts.

True.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's no convincing you as you are the biggest GB hater on Pinside, lol. With that being said I'm surprised to hear you say that considering that The Hobbit, which you and I both own, has 3 wizard modes which require the player to complete the same 4 objectives each time. That's repetitive as well, same goes for Feast Frenzy and Beast Frenzy which are not really fun in my opinion (hoping code changes that). Qualifying for the second and third Arkenstone modes is one of the most reptiive tasks I've seen in pinball. Main draw for me with TH is the book modes and finally getting to actually play the Arkenstone modes.
All pinball machines are repetitive. In almost every single game of The Hobbit we start Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy, almost every damn time, lol. Also, for every time a GB player hears "Who brought the dog" the Hobbit player is hearing "He says we'll blunt the knives"...

I'm the hater? You've been going on and on about Stern's QC for a year (not that I disagree). I find it odd that you bit and took the risk, knowing what you know. Anyway, Ok, man...get back to me after a month with GB. You'll see it's a vastly different experience than the non-linear nature of Hobbit. Yes - you have to do 4 things to get an arkenstone....but you can do them in any order or not at all - there are so many things to do...and you can start book modes in any order. Anyway - you'll see.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm the hater? You've been going on and on about Stern's QC for a year (not that I disagree). I find it odd that you bit and took the risk, knowing what you know. Anyway, Ok, man...get back to me after a month with GB. You'll see it's a vastly different experience than the non-linear nature of Hobbit. Yes - you have to do 4 things to get an arkenstone....but you can do them in any order or not at all - there are so many things to do...and you can start book modes in any order. Anyway - you'll see.

Well with TH a player cannot easily start book modes in any order. If you want to change the next mode you want to attempt you need to hit the left ramp. There's 31 book modes in The Hobbit so you may have to hit the left ramp 10, 15, 20 or even 30 times to select a specific mode. With Ghostbusters you can start modes based on the ladder. Neither game has the ability to select a mode at the start of the game with the flippers (wouldn't want that option in either game personally).

I like The Hobbit a lot but the game really needs more incentive to play through the 31 book modes. Right now only 3 of the 31 book modes need to be completed to unlock the 3 Arkenstone modes. Hopefully a reward system (mode unlock, callout with points, Gift of the Elves reward type system, etc) is coded into the game for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20, etc modes.

#59 6 years ago

I'm asking myself the same question GB or AS? Never mind all the other machines out there. I want a new stern. I have a deposit on a GB Prem. I have been quite excited about this as I was a challenging machine which I can improve at. II also like the idea of this machine being something different to other machines. Saying that I believe Stern isn't doing any more code updates on GB.

When it comes to AS, I have never really been much of a music themed pin, so I have been one of these people who have wanted to not like this machine but after watching videos, listening to podcasts (thanks K.....) and reading reviews the results seem to be pointing to AS, and a part of me wants to get an AS... So why would one buy a GB over an AS? Or are both as good as each other? The poll seems quite even with As slightly ahead, which indicates even though GB is an older machine than AS its still a well voted machine. Note: I sold my TWD as I wasn't enjoying it hence why I would like to purchase a different Stern machine...

#60 6 years ago

TWD is a tough game as is GB ( I own both ).... It your looking for bang the ball around, fan layout, shoot the same flashing arrows sequence over and over then AS is your game.

#61 6 years ago

The rules are far superior on Aerosmith versus ghostbusters. Ghostbusters is the same multiball again and again with Non stop super jackpots where as Aerosmith has such cool code features like crank it up and timed ball locks; yeah sorry but code wise Aerosmith crushes Ghostbusters; it's truly Lonnies best work where as ghostbusters is diwghts worst code ever in my mind

#62 6 years ago

I've owned both for a while. I liked GB from the start but I didn't understand it, what to shoot for. My AS arrived about 3 weeks later. I played nothing but AS for a while. You'll like AS from the start as I did. But after a while I went back to GB and liked it much better than my first few weeks of ownership. I'd say GB is a much more loaded (with "stuff") game and seems to have more depth though in all honesty I haven't explored the depths of AS. A lot of GB complaints comes from airballs and drains. I installed the air ball prevention and center post. If you buy GB and don't pump quarters into it air balls and drains become much less a problem. On free play GB becomes much better. The airballs are prevented but SDTM is only reduced about 20%. You'll like both AS and GB and as of now I really couldn't say one is better than the other. I really like them both about equally and when I want more of a B/W feel I switch back to my WOZ.

#63 6 years ago

I just love all theses threads....... Its always GB and another title. Funny thing is its ALWAYS the same bunch of fellows complaining about a game they didn't or don't even own anymore.

Play one if you like ,it buy it. Its a fantastic hard game thats loaded with toys. YES some don't like the ladder style ruleset but I don't think they are advancing threw the game enough. They are making a small version of GB so that tells me that Stern has demand for this title.

At least if you buy a GB they are holding their value for the most part and the seem to sell easily. Theres a reason everyone is comparing GB to all these other titles don't ya think ?

1 month later
#64 6 years ago

Just realized last night I never updated this thread! The reason I was asking about GB vs AS was because my GB had a bad cabinet and a bad playfield that needed replaced. Stern said I could trade it in for a new game to my distributor. I ended up getting an AS and I can say I am very happy with my decision and feel your opinions guided me in the right direction. With that being said, when I first setup AS I was wondering if I made a mistake because I wasn't loving it, but as I learned the game I started to like it a lot more and am having a good time with it. I do miss GB a little, because it is a fun game, great theme, great art, great sound, etc I kind of miss the difficulty in it also, but really digging the LCD display on AS.

I can say they are both great games since I have owned them both, but feel AS plays a little smoother than my GB did, GB use to piss me off with shots that weren't ironed out like the damn ball always rattling around the right orbit on ball launch and all the rejected shots from the right ramp which I eventually fixed on my own by cutting down the hex post. I know the right orbit shot can be fixed by bending or cutting the gate bracket or whatever it is up there causing it, but don't feel it should have shipped like this nor should I have to fix their design flaw. I am impressed that I've had to do ZERO adjustments on AS since I took out of the box and it plays perfectly. The PF doesn't seem to dimple as deep or quick as my GB did. I really hope this is a sign the quality is on it's way up at Stern, although I did add B/W leg brackets to the front corners of AS the day after I took it out of the box.

Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions!

1 week later
#65 6 years ago

I also tossed this question back and fourth, AS or GB I went with Aerosmith

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

The poll is pretty close with the slight edge going to AS. I am also leaning slightly towards AS. I know I will miss GB, but my buddy has one and so do a few other local people so I would still get to play one occasionally, which hell, I only play the one in my house occasionally at this point. lol

When we read your "I blew it thread" in 6-12 months don't shoot the messengers that told you to stay with GB.

#67 6 years ago

In my opinion you made the right call,GB is pretty but not a fun game to play imo plus gap on flippers to far apart.GoT premium blows them both away though.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

When we read your "I blew it thread" in 6-12 months don't shoot the messengers that told you to stay with GB.

Doubt it, I really like AS and am glad I took it over GB. No surprise to me you own a GB so I can see why you would make the comment you did. Aren't you the same guy that had 10 posts over in the Dialed In thread on a simple rubber ring size?

#69 6 years ago

I own a Ghosbusters Premium and I will be selling it for either an Aerosmith, Star Wars or AC/DC.

Ghosbusters is a lot of fun, but it's not really for me (and I LOVE the theme).

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I own a Ghosbusters Premium and I will be selling it for either an Aerosmith, Star Wars or AC/DC.
Ghosbusters is a lot of fun, but it's not really for me (and I LOVE the theme).

I don't think you will be disappointed. I really like the LCD, it shoots smoother than GB by a lot and I really like that you don't have to start with the same damn modes every time like you do on GB. I enjoyed my time, for the most part, with GB, but am glad I ended up with AS.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I don't think you will be disappointed. I really like the LCD, it shoots smoother than GB by a lot and I really like that you don't have to start with the same damn modes every time like you do on GB. I enjoyed my time, for the most part, with GB, but am glad I ended up with AS.

You hit the nail on head. I don't know how many times I can hear and play "OK, who brought the dog?" hahaha

My attraction to Aerosmith is the layout (and the artwork, although the band is take it or leave it for me). I used to own KISS as well and what I miss most about that game is the layout. Loved it and so did all my non-pinhead friends. This seems very similar, but taken to another level.

I hope to get some good time on Aerosmith, Star Wars and AC/DC at ReplayFX at the end of the month.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

You hit the nail on head. I don't know how many times I can hear and play "OK, who brought the dog?" hahaha
My attraction to Aerosmith is the layout (and the artwork, although the band is take it or leave it for me). I used to own KISS as well and what I miss most about that game is the layout. Loved it and so did all my non-pinhead friends. This seems very similar, but taken to another level.
I hope to get some good time on Aerosmith, Star Wars and AC/DC at ReplayFX at the end of the month.

Yeah man "who brought the dog" was annoying and so was "we got one" I can still hear it in my head! lol I will still enjoy playing GB at friend's houses, but glad I have AS at my house. I like Kiss, but I hate to say it that AS seems like a cleaned up improved version of Kiss to me, sucks the code for Kiss still isn't complete. The toy box is pretty awesome on AS; I love seeing it dump out 5 or 6 balls for multiball! I owned an ACDC for a while, it's a great game, with great rules, but it feels a little old to me now with the photoshop artwork and dmd display versus the hand drawn art and LCD on AS. When I heard it was being re-run I thought that was cool, but didn't really have a desire to get another one, once again one I enjoy playing at friend's houses.

#73 6 years ago

GB by a mile!!!

#74 6 years ago

I posted 53 days ago and I said GB for the win, but after playing alot of AS, I just don't know. I think GB is one of the best games ever made but I won't lie, hearing who brought the dog does get a little old sometimes and it is also a frustrating game at times too.

Aerosmith on the other hand just seems to get more addicting and more fun, the more that I play it. They are both really great games and I'm glad that I'm fortunate enough to own both of them. It's honestly a very tough call on which one to pick because AS has far exceeded my expectations in every way.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Doubt it, I really like AS and am glad I took it over GB. No surprise to me you own a GB so I can see why you would make the comment you did. Aren't you the same guy that had 10 posts over in the Dialed In thread on a simple rubber ring size?

Yes, because both the rubber on the game and the rubber in the manual are wrong. Besides, what does that have to do with your thread? I wasn't attacking you, I was kindly jabbing you about making a mistake. But, sounds like you're like many Pinsiders on here where you take stuff just way too seriously.

#76 6 years ago

These things are all a personal like,and dislike! To compare pins with other people is like asking what Chinese food is best!! I have my opinions as well,and that just guides me to what pins I may get the most fun from!They are all good!!The main idea is to enjoy yourself!!To ask opinions sometimes helps,sometimes hurts!! Old Blue eyes said it best in 2 songs,"Thats life" and ,most importantly"I did it my way"" Peace,people!!!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I posted 53 days ago and I said GB for the win, but after playing alot of AS, I just don't know. I think GB is one of the best games ever made but I won't lie, hearing who brought the dog does get a little old sometimes and it is also a frustrating game at times too.
Aerosmith on the other hand just seems to get more addicting and more fun, the more that I play it. They are both really great games and I'm glad that I'm fortunate enough to own both of them. It's honestly a very tough call on which one to pick because AS has far exceeded my expectations in every way.

I agree it is very tough and both are good games and people will enjoy both, I just happen to like AS a little more.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Yes, because both the rubber on the game and the rubber in the manual are wrong. Besides, what does that have to do with your thread? I wasn't attacking you, I was kindly jabbing you about making a mistake. But, sounds like you're like many Pinsiders on here where you take stuff just way too seriously.

I wasn't attacking you, just kindly making a jab about how many posts it took to figure out the size of a rubber ring. I'm pretty lighthearted actually when I know things are a joke, but that's the difficulty of conversing over the internet without using lol or emojis, it's easy to misinterpret someone's intention as you could have easily taken what I said above as an attack. All good, DI, AS and GB are all great games and we are lucky we have so many great games available right now, but I'm REALLY digging DI as I'm sure you are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.75
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-premium-or-ghostbusters-premium/page/2?hl=bigbad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.