as_grilles (resized).png
microwave_bottom (resized).png
guitar-hero-aerosmith-20080629112827104 (resized).jpg
guitarheroaerosmith_5a (resized).jpg
143368_screenshot_07_l (resized).jpg
61AiaJqIfDL__AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg
IMG_0343 (resized).PNG
IMG_0342 (resized).PNG
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 7 years ago

I'm very surprised at how cool this looks. I didn't expect much. I love the artwork, animations, and it seems like it would be fun to shoot. I don't get the comments about preferring concert videos to the animations. That seems akin to photoshopping the playfield vs custom art, but whatever. I think the art direction as a whole is outstanding.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pro all the way. All the premium differences are tied up with the upper playfield. This will be up there with Met as one of the best pros.
No spinner gimping,
No drop target gimping(talking about target banks, not the single approach to the upper playfield),
No ramp gimping,
Lock it in now, pro will be the runaway success!

Could not agree more.
The Pro looks to be pretty full featured.
Love my Metallica Pro especially since I added the spinners back on it.

But the biggest revelation of this thread is that there is a $5 secret for wrinkles.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

I'm very surprised at how cool this looks. I didn't expect much. I love the artwork, animations, and it seems like it would be fun to shoot. I don't get the comments about preferring concert videos to the animations. That seems akin to photoshopping the playfield vs custom art, but whatever. I think the art direction as a whole is outstanding.

Gotta agree with that, too. I thought it would be a big fat no but I really want to play it now. Pro looks great. Not sure I can get over the theme, though. Aerosmith does have some decent songs but it would have to play mind blowing amazing for me to buy one. Prices are creeping up out of my comfort zone but at least this time you can argue it's a good deal with the added lcd.

#204 7 years ago

Would agree if Aerosmith is your bag, the Pro has a lot to offer and heavily borrowed from the success of MET.

#205 7 years ago

It appears as though this game has been ready for a while and was delayed only because of BM66- so if that's the case, will these start shipping in a few weeks? Anyone know?

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

It appears as though this game has been ready for a while and was delayed only because of BM66- so if that's the case, will these start shipping in a few weeks? Anyone know?

Stern says end of Feb.
So you know the drill. July. lol

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

will these start shipping in a few weeks?

Arriving Aus end of Feb.

#208 7 years ago

They did on mine.

Ron...

Quoted from 27dnast:

Did they mylar the drop area of the warp ramp? I don't think so...

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

I'm very surprised at how cool this looks.

Same here. It's the coolest looking thing since breakfast.

#210 7 years ago

So what happened to being done buying new in box games?

#211 7 years ago

the game and art looks good, not sure about that upper PF with a regular size flipper bat.
unfortunately not a theme for me.
the good thing is, more money for star wars, if the rumour is true.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

So what happened to being done buying new in box games?

Even though I'm impressed by this reveal, I'm not buying NIB games. I'll play it once it hits a location near me.

#213 7 years ago

With the quality of console / PC / handheld / arcade game graphics, the bar is very high. If game animations are not up to standards, it looks like an eyesore and distracts from the gameplay. I know, the game is on the playfield, but don't expect me to put that game in my game room.

Sterns Aerosmith animations remind me of a Rock Band / Guitar hero clone. Rock Bands animations fall flat compared to Guitar Hero, and Sterns Aerosmith graphics (and Batman 66) would need to go some to catch up with those.

I can understand why Stern was hesitant to include a color screen. The awkward looking graphics are off putting and unfortunately are not going to lure new players to pinball. That being said, I don't find the JJP animations off putting, although JJP uses mainly an graphical info screen more than classic DMD animations.

These old GH Aerosmith graphics are nothing special, but are an example of what could have been done. Aren't they friends with the guys at Raw Thrills (Big Buck Hunter games, etc)? Imagine what the talent at Raw Thrills could do with Batman 66 or Aerosmith graphics??

I hope someone at Stern is reading this!!!

61AiaJqIfDL__AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg61AiaJqIfDL__AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg

143368_screenshot_07_l (resized).jpg143368_screenshot_07_l (resized).jpg

guitarheroaerosmith_5a (resized).jpgguitarheroaerosmith_5a (resized).jpg

guitar-hero-aerosmith-20080629112827104 (resized).jpgguitar-hero-aerosmith-20080629112827104 (resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

With the quality of console / PC / handheld / arcade game graphics, the bar is very high. If game animations are not up to standards, it looks like an eyesore and distracts from the gameplay. I know, the game is on the playfield, but don't expect me to put that game in my game room.
Sterns Aerosmith animations remind me of a Rock Band / Guitar hero clone. Rock Bands animations fall flat compared to Guitar Hero, and Sterns Aerosmith graphics (and Batman 66) would need to go some to catch up with those.
I can understand why Stern was hesitant to include a color screen. The awkward looking graphics are off putting and unfortunately are not going to lure new players to pinball. That being said, I don't find the JJP animations off putting, although JJP uses mainly an graphical info screen more than classic DMD animations.
These old GH Aerosmith graphics are nothing special, but are an example of what could have been done. Aren't they friends with the guys at Raw Thrills (Big Buck Hunter games, etc)? Imagine what the talent at Raw Thrills could do with Batman 66 or Aerosmith graphics??

No thanks. Utterly wrong look.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No thanks. Utterly wrong look.

Agreed. 3D puppets have ruined video games, animated feature movies... no need to have them invade and ruin pinball too.

$0.02

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That might actually look worse.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Sterns Aerosmith animations remind me of a Rock Band / Guitar hero clone

I thought exactly the same!

Lots of people get excited about the removal of DMDs. However, I expect we are going to see a lot of games with really weak graphics and animations on these screens for two reasons:

1. The manufacturers don't have the skills to make anything better.
2. The manufacturers won't commit enough of the budget to do it properly (e.g., graphics that at least compete with video games from 5 years ago).

A lot of what I've seen on these newer games so far looks like power point presentations, or web Flash animations at best.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't consider footage ripped straight from a movie or concert as an improvement either. Rather, it usually has a very sudden stop/start feel to it and lacks any sort of meaningful integration.

The fix for either of the above problems isn't simple either. Any additional investment in that area will mean either more expensive games, or less resources focused on the mechanical element (you know, the actual pinball!).

#218 7 years ago

"Smart Button" on the lockdown bar is going to confuse the hell out of non-pinheads who read it as "Start Button".

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from garyspinballs:

That new back box is the ugliest thing I've even seen and those big ass speaker grills are hideous

I didn't like the speaker grills much at first but I think they look a lot like guitar amps so the design has grown on me

#220 7 years ago

The animations look amazing in Aerosmith; are you guys crazy?

#221 7 years ago

I'm not a huge aerosmith fan, but after seeing the playfield layout I'm really interested in playing it now.

#222 7 years ago

At 3 plays for two bucks, play ten bucks, 20 games and be done with it. You might win a few replays as well. Save thousands. Play a few more games at shows which are "included" in the gate fee.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pro all the way. All the premium differences are tied up with the upper playfield. This will be up there with Met as one of the best pros.
No spinner gimping,
No drop target gimping(talking about target banks, not the single approach to the upper playfield),
No ramp gimping,
Lock it in now, pro will be the runaway success!

I don't know. Looks a lot like Kiss too me and with the same code.
This game has a lot to live up to before you can even begin to compare it to Met.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Spike is better, cleaner than SAM.

Could you please explain what you mean by that?

#225 7 years ago

I would take Sam in a heartbeat. But that's not reality anymore.

#226 7 years ago

Anyone seen a game matrix yet for Aerosmith?

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Node based. Less wires, streamlined logic flow, less possible points of failure. Easier to work on. More menu settings and control. Better volume. I'm sure there are more examples, but those come to mind immediately.

#228 7 years ago

Pics of the Pro model?

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Anyone seen a game matrix yet for Aerosmith?

Pinball News has it.

I think it looks great and I've always been a fan of the band. Looks like a great shooter and the ball lock throw/release and jester are awesome. I'm excited to play it. Just like GoT, the pro appears to be the way to go...the upper playfield doesn't look like my thing, but I can't wait to try it and see if I'm wrong. Ramps look smooth and satisfying.

I LOVE the irony in the fact that I've read so many posts complaining that BM66 uses TV clips instead of custom animations and now everyone is complaining about this using custom animations instead of video clips. Just amazing. I swear some people just looks for stuff to complain about instead of stuff to be excited about.

#230 7 years ago

Visually I think the game and animations look great. I'll consider buying a pro down the road but only if the code turns out to offer depth and uniqueness. A game can look amazing and have cool toys / features but none of that matters if the code support isn't there and isn't done right.

Currently I'm hearing a lot of sounds from KISS in Aerosmith and see that the typical filler type modes (super ramps, super pops, super target's) are in the game...There better be far more then that if I'm going to drop $5k+ on a NIB pin. For todays NIB prices I expect a deep objective based ruleset that works the entire playfield in fun and unique ways.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

see that the typical filler type modes (super ramps, super pops, super target's)

We know who the programmer is.

#232 7 years ago

I like the reuse of the IV4 ark like MB start.
I like the shooting the ball into the toybox.
Artwork is Dd so awesome.
Color lcd screen is the right size. Not too big like JJP. Content on screen is good. So much better than DMD
Wish guy on toybox didnt look like sparky as much (esp his hands). His voice was the exact same too.

Seems like kiss and met and iv4 had a baby.
Im skeptical about code, but if it were lyman id seriously consider forking cash for pro.

#233 7 years ago

from the press release:
Players will be mesmerized by the interactive “Jacky on the Box” mechanical feature on the playfield.

really? mesmerized? cats sitting on the playfield glass, maybe. but I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I don't think that the box will ever mesmerize me

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

really? mesmerized? cats sitting on the playfield glass, maybe. but I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I don't think that the box will ever mesmerize me

Sorry, didn't follow what you said...I was mesmerized!

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I LOVE the irony in the fact that I've read so many posts complaining that BM66 uses TV clips instead of custom animations and now everyone is complaining about this using custom animations instead of video clips. Just amazing. I swear some people just looks for stuff to complain about instead of stuff to be excited about.

Touché!

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Currently I'm hearing a lot of sounds from KISS in Aerosmith and see that the typical filler type modes (super ramps, super pops, super target's) are in the game...There better be far more then that if I'm going to drop $5k+ on a NIB pin. For todays NIB prices I expect a deep objective based ruleset that works the entire playfield in fun and unique ways.

Hasn't this been standard practice forever? I mean, when game code (and sounds, animations, etc.) is so early in development they simply re-use things from previous games as fillers? Heck, JJP was using MM trolls as pop-ups in early videos, right?

Also, just curious, from people's own past experience, how long after Stern announces a new game does it typically take before they start shipping games? 3 months? 6 months? And has Stern been consistent in which games they produce first in terms of Pro versus Premium versus LE?

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

At 3 plays for two bucks, play ten bucks, 20 games and be done with it. You might win a few replays as well. Save thousands. Play a few more games at shows which are "included" in the gate fee.

I agree this is a quarter dropper. $20 and done.

#238 7 years ago

I noticed on the matrix list on pinballnews there is a 3,4,5 or 6 ball multiball from the toy chest.
There is a picture showing 6 balls on top of the box, but this is probably just to demonstrate the 6 ball multiball.
I assume the toy chest will hold 4 balls (like the ARK in IJ4), 1 ball caught on the magnet in front and 1 released from the trough for a 6 ball multiball?
I think it was really cool to team up the flick mechanism with the chest for a new implementation.

#239 7 years ago

Complaints about price are just a continuation of the price increases Stern has implemented on past models. It may only be a two hundred buck increase but added on to the previous gradual increases it feels like a significant difference in a short time.

#240 7 years ago

Is there any video of a pro available?

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I noticed on the matrix list on pinballnews there is a 3,4,5 or 6 ball multiball from the toy chest.
There is a picture showing 6 balls on top of the box, but this is probably just to demonstrate the 6 ball multiball.
I assume the toy chest will hold 4 balls (like the ARK in IJ4), 1 ball caught on the magnet in front and 1 released from the trough for a 6 ball multiball?
I think it was really cool to team up the flick mechanism with the chest for a new implementation.

It looks like the game borrows from Mustang in that you can cancel out of earlier multiballs in order to increase the number of balls and jackpot values. A fun piece of risk/reward which should give the software a nice boost!

#242 7 years ago

I thought that Stern's KISS and Corvette were the ugliest and least relevant pins ever made. They have now been surpassed.

And I actually do like Aerosmith.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Try this link. "Testing games at CES". This is the Pro.

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154881564674244/?pnref=story.unseen-section

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yes Stern posted a few videos on their Facebook page of a pro they have set up at CES.

#245 7 years ago

Dear Dirty Donny,
Why waste art on bad music?
Make Babymetal!

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

I thought that Stern's KISS and Corvette were the ugliest and least relevant pins ever made. They have now been surpassed.
And I actually do like Aerosmith.

You think this game looks ugly??? I think you might be in the very small minority on that one.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from garyspinballs:

That new back box is the ugliest thing I've even seen and those big ass speaker grills are hideous

It looks like the underside of an over-the-range microwave.

microwave_bottom (resized).pngmicrowave_bottom (resized).png

as_grilles (resized).pngas_grilles (resized).png

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaiku:

Dear Dirty Donny,
Why waste art on bad music?
Make Babymetal!

Gimme Chocolate!!!

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

The animations look amazing in Aerosmith; are you guys crazy?

I think if you put a red dot filter on it, it would look good. Seeing it in full HD reveals its flaws as animation. The art style is fine and cohesive with the package, but just judging the animation as animation - it looks like bad Flash from the 90's. Floaty puppets with no sense of timing. When elements pan, they're choppy. DMD animation, despite its limitations, usually had good animation principals and timing. Watch the snake match seq on Met or any of the TWD stuff. Lots of great timing, overlapping action...good animators using true animation skills despite the resolution and lack of color. That's also the key to good TV animation - good timing makes limited animation really appealing. There's no timing or real animation principle in the shot of the band playing - it's just random limb movements.

Now, despite my critique - I don't think the animation flaws are a detriment to the game. The style matches the rest of the art package well enough. Would I like them to do better? Yes. Is it a deal breaker for this title? No.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from dug:

How bout Clutch Cargo or Speed racer...
Edit: You are probably too young to remember those shows

Never heard of Clutch Cargo, had to google it. Speed Racer came out a decade before I was born, but I grew up on the reruns. It's not that it's not great, because it is, but go back and look at it, the animation quality itself is actually pretty ass. Lots of frames of everything totally still except an animated mouth, choppy animation, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.75
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-pics-are-up/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.