17086809037297000656547500638295 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240123_182538 (resized).jpg
20240123_182607 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240110_065014_Chrome (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #253 KISS shooter lane protector on Aerosmith Posted by Shapeshifter (6 years ago)

Post #575 Toybox Kickout protector pictures Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #616 Full protector set pic for Prem/LE Aerosmith Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Spike and Spike 2 sudden reset fix information Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#249 6 years ago

Really anxious to get my AS Pro! I have a deal worked out for one, but I can't go get it until I'm home from our Germany vacation. I am enjoying the bier and brats and fräuleins, but dammit I'm ready to play my AS!

1 week later
#254 6 years ago

I got my AS home last night after a grueling 13-hour, 760 mile round trip. I think it was worth it though, since it was $5000 for the game, upgraded rails AND the topper. I'll drive pretty far to save ~$900. As a side note, the "born on" date of March 9 is the exact day that I got laid off from my job of 23 years!

I'm really surprised that this topic is not on fire. This is the latest Stern that's out on location and in basements. Maybe everyone is playing AS instead of talking about it.

#257 6 years ago

I think I've found a bug. Three times now, after I started Rats in the Cellar, the song audio changed to something else. The red "Rats" insert was still flashing, and I was definitely playing that mode, but the audio changed to something else (a different song every time). It's always a few seconds into starting the mode.

EDIT: found another bug. The "TOYS" insert flashes continuously, until TITA MB starts - then it goes out. The logic is reversed somewhere.

EDIT: send both of these to [email protected].

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's related to the KISS bug, most likely because the code is the same. It's noted in the KISS 1.28 buglist and hasn't been fixed in like a year. On KISS, once you know how to do it, you can do it every time:
"- Song can be changed just after ball launched so it's playing one song, but you're doing the objectives for the adjacent song."
Nice to know they just infected Aerosmith with the same bug.

Bummer. It wouldn't be so bad if it was infrequent, but I've seen it happen at least 6 times in my first day of play.

#269 6 years ago

Some more info on the song select bug: it's fairly (not 100%) repeatable, by hitting the flipper buttons right after plunging, but *before* the ball hits another switch. The good news is that it can be avoided, by not flipping until *after* the ball hits a switch.

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I got about 50 games on AS pro. I know the basic rules but not how to stack for major points. The most difficult thing for me was starting elevator MB. Work so hard to get it going then it's over in 10 seconds. lol

Well, it is "Love in an Elevator"...10 seconds is about all the time you have

#291 6 years ago

AS is more dialed-in than Dialed In. Easy choice for me.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep. Not having the upper playfield will ding your scores if you're good at stacking (Prem/LE only) double scoring with the other lower PF bonuses. If you're getting AS, Prem is the way to go if you can afford it.

All this means is that if you can't compare your scores to Pro. Kind of a silly argument. I'm sure there are other (better) reasons to go Pre/LE.

#300 6 years ago

All of the versions are great, hard to go wrong with any of them.

Has anybody else run into the problem where the song you hear doesn't match the playfield mode? It happened to me a bunch more today, to the point where it was getting annoying. I can always avoid it if I remember not to flip for a few seconds after picking a song, but I don't want to have to explain that to people who come over.

#302 6 years ago

I'm asking a different question - whether other AS owners have seen the problem. As far as I know I'm the only one, so maybe something is wrong with my specific game.

#325 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not x2. It's double scoring which STACKS with the mystery and lower playfield x2. So there's no equivalent on the pro.

Pinball equivalent of "but this goes to eleven!"

You can still get some pretty big stacks going on the Pro. E.g. light a shot for double scoring, lock 3 balls during TITA multiball, and that shot is worth 6x. I also think scores are doubled again if hit as part of a combo - I need to look into this.

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I know it's hard, but try to keep up before making false accusations. I never said Stern confirmed it, but with three people now mentioning the issue (me and two others) and the fact that they cloned KISS code as a base for Aerosmith, it's pretty clear what happened.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/6#post-3859299
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/6#post-3859505

Setting KISS aside, this is pretty easy to reproduce on AS. Just hit the flippers a few times between the plunge and the first switch hit. I've also seen this now when selecting a song at the scoop. I think it would be better to lock in the song when the ball leaves the shooter lane or the scoop, like on Metallica.

It doesn't change my overall opinion of the game, which is that it's a grand slam for Stern.

#353 6 years ago

I finished TITA multiball today for the first time. It's a hell of a rush with 6 balls, and it's nice to have a MB that can be completed by mortals like me. I wish I'd seen the LCD when it happened. The MB was good for 157M, and I finished with 313M.

#357 6 years ago

4a. Skill shot: if the "backdoor" lock shot is made on the plunge, add more time (e.g. 10 seconds) to the current song.
4b. Skill shot: if the "backdoor" lock shot is made on the plunge, lock ball even if not qualified (flashing at toybox).
4c. Default to 4a, but switch to 4b if player hits the Smart button.
5. When player finishes TITA multiball, hold ball in the lock shot so player can enjoy the LCD animations.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

As for next code update, what do people want? Or rather hope for....
1. More use of firebutton
2. Code the outlanes to make a sound!
3. Tweak Medley multiball as it's a bit of a grind right now.

#358 6 years ago

Here's my standard process for making any game (of any era) fun:

1. Make a list of all the things that aren't fun.
2. If the problem is the game, I fix it (if possible), or file a bug report.
3. If the problem is me, I work on my skills until it's not a problem any more.

An example of #2 is GOTLE: "VUK takes multiple attempts to get the ball up". I fixed this by tweaking my VUK.

An example of #3 is AS: "Right ramp is a bitch to make". I'll spend 3-5 games just working on that shot, until I'm dialed in.

Hope this helps!

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What's wrong with me? I've had my pro for a while now and although fun, it isn't hitting that sweet spot for me as far as excitement goes. I do find I have a tough time hitting some shots (most right ramp and left orbit) and don't have a really good feel for how to approach the game from a points standpoint.
Any insight is appreciated as I really like the music and want to love this pin.
Darin

#362 6 years ago

I've been working on 2 different scoring strategies: one for tournament/league play, and one for GC attempts.

I won't share my league secrets, but here's a strategy I'm trying for GC:

1. Start with Last Child, shooting orbits until all 3 elevator locks are qualified.
2. Lock 2 balls in the Elevator.
3. Start Sweet Emotion, then immediately shoot the elevator for MB.
4. Use the EMB to finish Sweet Emotion and earn "Playfield Scoring" super mode.
5. Start TITA MB, and collect huge points by stacking it with Playfield Scoring super mode.

Alternatively, I'll just try to bring Sweet Emotion into a big Toys MB. This works great because both modes require the same shots (all of them!). What's hard is starting both of them at once.

1 week later
#373 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but yesterday I was playing a Pro on location and dropped 3 consecutive skill shots all for lock. When the 3rd skill shot landed it lit the extra ball.

Awesome, I'm trying to get to where I can make that shot consistently.

#380 6 years ago

I wish this thread was active as the ghosting thread.
I'm stuck in Philadelphia until next Friday, missing my games and my kitty cats.

#383 6 years ago

Oh man, sorry I missed this. I did make it out to Malvern to visit Pinball Gallery, awesome place!

Quoted from djreddog:

How stuck? Are you looking for something to do? Block party on my street tonight starting at 6pm until 1am???
Tomorrow morning/afternoon up until 3pm feel free to come down and play some pinball.
And next week, any night except Monday I'm free to play some pinball.

3 weeks later
#518 6 years ago

Pro all the way on this game, for me. Save your LE $ for GoT, much better upper playfield.

1 week later
#540 6 years ago

The short plunge is your friend on AS. I avoid a full plunge whenever possible, especially when I can go for a lock with a skill shot.

5 months later
#920 6 years ago

Lol, great pic. Does anyone have a list of the things Jacky says? I need to load this up in pinball browser so I can understand him.

#982 6 years ago

I’ve had MET for almost 5 years - I bought one of the first ones off the line. I’ve never once thought of selling it, though I am doing a temp trade with a friend for SMVE. I’ve given a lot of thought to this comparison. Here are my very subjective thoughts:

AS beats MET on art, physical ball lock, 6-ball multiball and LCD display (though I do love my MET’s ColorDMD). The ability to postpone multiball to go for more balls is awesome. Super modes are great. Light show is better than MET.

But MET beats AS on shot layout and flow, code/rules, callouts and overall enjoyment (for me). There are 12 different ways to have an awesome game on MET, but every great game on AS comes down to Toybox multiball. That’s starting to get old. And the right ramp on AS is too tight. AS is just not set up for satisfying combos the way that MET is. The first year I owned MET, the code was a lot like AS is now. I’d love to believe that AS will get to where MET is now, but I don’t think it will happen.

So overall, MET is still the winner for me. But I’m cautiously optimistic about the next code drop for AS.

#1003 6 years ago

My friend pinnyheadhead and I both own AS, and we were talking about the way those 2 big posts guarding either side the right ramp make it a really tight shot. They really should be closer to the metal and just a bit farther apart. I wish they had used the blue nubs of death here. Who wants to be the first to try this mod?

#1019 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Cool, first try lol
» YouTube video

This changes everything for me! I can’t wait to get home and try it myself.

#1039 6 years ago

AS Pro is good for me. I’m not paying $1000+ for a playfield doubler, which seems to be the main selling point.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who else thinks Premium>Pro? Pro is pretty addictive. Is Premium worth the extra scratch? How does it change the gameplay?

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Prem/LE has scoring multiplier that's not in the Pro. At all. And it stacks.

So...more points? That means my Pro scores are more valuable, right?

#1055 6 years ago

That seems plausible. I know that Congo’s flipper gap is nowhere near as big as GB.

#1059 6 years ago

I’m kind of a cheapskate too, but my eyes are always open for a deal. I bought a low-play GOTLE at a nice discount a few years back ($7200 with the topper), and I don’t regret it. Then I bought my nearly-new AS Pro from the same guy, same great discount. For me the big question when I buy any game is “How big of a hit will I take if I sell this?” If I can keep it under $500, I’m happy. I don’t buy and sell a lot.

#1079 6 years ago

I like to keep my score and price cards the original Stern yellow just to drive the OCD collectors nuts.

#1085 6 years ago

I grabbed mine with side rails and a topper for $5100, but I had to drive about 800 miles round trip. It had less than 100 plays, so I’m happy. Even happier now that I know I can backhand the right ramp with the ball trapped up on the flipper!

#1087 6 years ago

If I was in Kansas I’d grab that Junk Yard that’s currently listed. Very fun game.
Edit: sorry, it’s in Oklahoma, not quite Kansas.

#1110 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

There was one with it at TPF. It looked nice and the Mrs liked it... I suspect had I mentioned the price she would of not had a favorable opinion of it.

Funny you mention that. Mine came with the topper, and I was planning to sell it. My wife, who is as about interested in pinball as I am in fabric stores, said “No, don’t sell that, it looks great!” I would probably sell my GOTLE topper before I’d sell the AS topper. The GOT topper dragon is dormant most of the time, but the AS topper is constantly in motion.

#1116 6 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

If you have the topper, you *must* get the Flipper Fidelity LED backbox light. It has color changing on the sides of the backbox that ties in perfectly with the look of the topper.
» YouTube video

Nope. I don’t like anything that changes art by colorbombing it. Minority opinion of course.
(And yes, I’m aware that the topper does just that, but it’s designed for it)

#1119 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Very little interaction with the shaker. Spend the money on mirror blades or something.

It would be nice to get a short shaker kick when you hit the Toybox, or when the ball was launched into it. And when hitting a lit combo. I love the shaker kick on MET when I hit the captive ball.

#1130 5 years ago

I may be wrong, but I think the Mystery award is always “Add More Time” if you’re in a mode, and “Add a Ball” if you’re in multiball. That’s doesn’t leave many opportunities for true “Mystery” awards. Probably the best way to work Mystery is to hit it when starting a mode.

#1134 5 years ago

The variety of the modes is good, IMHO. For some modes CIU helps, and for others it makes things harder. Some modes are easy to finish, some are harder. Some songs continue, others you get 1 shot. My strategy for finishing Sweet Emotion is to take it into a multiball. The rest are doable with some skill.

I'll try to make a table for all of the modes and post them later tonight.

#1135 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

What has everyone found to be the most lucrative song stacked with tita mb?
I usually go with rats. I scored 179m with it yesterday on a pro.
What scores/ songs are you guys getting?

My goal for big points is to bring in Walk This Way (full completion) with one or both ramps lit for 2x scoring. If you can put 3 balls in the toybox, that's 6x scoring, and remember you get another 2x for ramp combos. So 12x is possible.

#1143 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

What score can you get for just that song during tita?
I can complete RATS early during the countdown where I have 20+ seconds left everything is lit red. I've seen 3m per shot register during that time. So I got 179m for RATS plus 70m for tita. This game was the first time I broke 500m.
Can you get higher scores with DUDE or EMOTION?
Thanks.

Wow, I need to give Rats more love. It’s my least favorite song on the game. Might sub in Pearl Jam’s “Rats”, lol.

#1159 5 years ago

Speculation about what Stern may or may not do for the next update is pretty pointless. I’ve learned to live with the song select bug. The rules as they stand are very solid. New modes or rules are always appreciated, but you can’t expect them unless there’s an unused insert.

Having said all that, I’d love to see a new mini-wizard mode. Medley takes too much woodchopping, and you can sort of time out modes to get there. Something like: complete the daisy for any 4 modes to start the new mode. New mode gives you 60 seconds to hit both ramps and both orbits, and finish at either the scoop or Jackie launch hole for 50M.

#1183 5 years ago

I’ve had drains down the middle from the pops, but not out the sides (from the pops). Jacky’s magnet slams the ball into the right outlanes about every 50-100 times, infrequent enough that it just makes me laugh. The only one that annoys me is the ball bouncing off Jacky’s face and SDTM.

#1193 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A gift that keeps on giving from the KISS layout. Does the same thing frequently on KISS.

The AS hate is strong with this guy, don’t listen to him. As SR would say, PLAY BETTER.

#1202 5 years ago

On the topic of the drain from the pops, I agree that it sucks when it happens, but there’s usually enough time for an aggressive save. I seem to get it about every 15-20 times, so it’s not enough to bother me too much. I also short plunge whenever I know I’ve already used my ball save.

#1231 5 years ago

I’ll load this code. I wanted to play with a few things in Pinball Browser anyway, so it’s good timing. I’m cool with most of Jacky’s callouts, but the callouts for a few of the toys get annoying after a while (fire truck, yo-yo).

#1240 5 years ago

@WJxxxx, how the hell did you score 1.8B with the glass on? I consider myself a pretty decent player, and my best score with factory settings and outlanes is about 320M. I’m just wondering if there’s some magic stack I’m missing.

#1262 5 years ago

I just tried to flash the new code to my AS. Went to lunch and when I came back, the display was frozen. I powered it down, removed the USB stick, and powered it back up. Now, nothing. Not even a boot display. I suspect the bootloader somehow got hosed.

Is there a guide to restoring a Spike2 SD card? If all else fails, I'll go to my friend's house and image his. What a pain.

BTW I just copied the 3 files to the USB stick. I think I was supposed to concatenate those first. In Linux:

cat aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.000 aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.001 aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.002 > aerosmith-1_05_0.spk

#1266 5 years ago

Bummer. It froze up at around 4,000 on the progress bar. I really hope it’s just the SD card. The bootloader should never get wiped out by a bad file - that’s the first rule of bootloaders.

#1270 5 years ago

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

EDIT: I'm back up and running with an image from bicyclenut - thanks again!

#1276 5 years ago

After I recovered my SD card, I tried the upgrade again. This time I used “Quick” and no verify. It froze once, then completed on the second try.

This upgrade was worth it for me, for the improved audio quality and independent tone controls for the backbox and cabinet speakers. It’s also cool that you can make the backbox light dim during gameplay, then go back to bright for attract mode.

#1277 5 years ago

Here are my notes on the improvements that made this upgrade worthwhile for me. All of the diagnostic improvements are good too, but wouldn't have been enough on their own to make me take the plunge.

- NOT MENTIONED: improvement to the song select bug
** Hitting the flippers will still change the song between ball launch and the first switch hit. BUT: the song now matches the mode that you're in! No more hearing "Sweet Emotion" while playing "Rats". Hell yeah! I hope this is real and not just my imagination. I still think that ball launch should lock it in immediately, but this is enough of a fix for me.

- Fixed a problem where the game could reset if the display tried to render too many layered images after a foreground display effect was finished running.
** I haven't experienced a reset, but I'm glad it's less likely now.

- System v1.97, nodebus protocol change and node board firmware update.
** Didn't cause any new issues, this is good!

- Improved sound processing.
** I could swear that the audio quality is better, but this may just be due to the ability to tweak the balance between the cab and backbox speakers.

- Added adjustments for backbox speaker bass/treble, cabinet speaker
bass/treble, and cabinet/backbox speaker balance to service menu
UTIL->VOL. Speaker balance allows lowering the volume level of cabinet
speaker or backbox speakers vs. the other.
** This was HUGE for me. Now I'm getting the most out of my Flipper Fidelity 10" woofer. Sound quality is much easier to tweak.

- Added adjustment for "GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS"
** YES! It's great to be able to dim it to 50% during game play.

- Added support for new headphone jack accessory.
** If this will speed up availability of a Spike 2 Pinnovator jack, I'm excited. I've been waiting for this.

#1283 5 years ago

Audio quality is indeed better with this release. I'm sure most of that is due to the extra tweakability of the audio settings for cab and backbox speakers. Whatever it is, I'm really happy with it.

#1289 5 years ago

Jacky has a dimpled chin. He’s a handsome devil compared to the well walker. I’d say even nicer looking than Sparky. Can I say that?

#1307 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I have never understood the need to replace Stern's Factory speakers. They sound great to me.
This extends into WPC era games and beyond. Don't get it.

It’s a personal decision. I get a lot of satisfaction from improving the sound in my pins, especially music pins. Back in the Saddle and Sweet Emotion are just so much better with a good subwoofer. I like the FF cabinet subs, while my friends like external subs. Either way, once you hear the difference, it’s hard to go back.

#1328 5 years ago

I'd recommend backing up your SD card with https://etcher.io/ before attempting an upgrade. Learn from my fail.

1 week later
#1361 5 years ago

I really wish Stern would push out the entire .img file, so we can just swap in a new SD card. I had to resort to this to get mine updated. USB updates are currently pretty buggy.

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I still don't think the back in the saddle bug was fixed.

What’s that bug?

1 week later
#1392 5 years ago

I used Pinball Browser to check out AS tonight. There are some great sounds and some funny as hell Jacky callouts. What callouts would you replace?

#1420 5 years ago

I’ll start with the things I agree with. There should be a mini-wizard mode, like Cherry Bomb on GOTG, and the wizard mode should be better. Plunging the ball should lock in the song selection. “Smart missiles” should be earnable, and not random.

The rest of this review is kind of silly. Completing songs earns super modes, which stack well with multiball or the next mode. The modes are all different and fun to play. Shot multipliers are key to racking up big points. The bonus points are worth much more than on other games (like GOTG), so it’s worth going for bonus multipliers by completing the inlanes. The upper playfield lets you earn double scoring. There are tons of callouts, and you can change them in Pinball Browser if you don’t like them (I plan to change some).

I’ve had Guardians for about 3 weeks, and although it’s great with the 0.95 code, I’m surprised to find that I still enjoy Aerosmith more. It’s just really fun to play, even after 10 months. It helps that I like the songs, and the audio is great with Flipper Fidelity. But I think it’s a good layout too. Nothing’s broken, everything works and the art is still the best Stern has to offer IMHO.

I think if something isn’t fun, you should move it on. It’s sounds like you’re at that point and you’re ready to let it go. For me, this one is “nailed to the floor”.

Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I like the game play but half the features dont work. Upper playfield is under utilized, center button is about useless, tons on tons of bugs, call outs are about non existent, its not even worth time doing songs or what does crank it up even do? This could be a great game but if when they release the code and nothing new gets added the. Why did we wait a year? For the record i have an LE and ive found why even complete songs. Wizard mode is terrible and i can just wreck multiball and elevator multiball which again is kind of useless and get high scores. What does the dude roll overs do?

#1422 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

No I still enjoy the game but its starting to feel flat.

To be honest, I’ve never owned a game where I didn’t feel that way about it at some point. I was a little bored with AS about 3 months ago, but then because of work and other pins, I didn’t play it much for a few months. Now it feels really fun again. I had the same experience with MET, Congo and other classics that I’d never sell now.

The most surprising thing to me about AS is that Jacky has grown on me. There are a few cringey callouts I plan to change, but he’s my creepy little buddy when I play, and I like that.

#1435 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's a Lonnie production. The software was never destined for greatness, nor much polish.

AS and GOTG were both coded by Lonnie Ropp, and I’d argue that Guardians is destined for greatness. I also enjoyed having IM for 6 years, and that’s essential Lonnie Ropp. Maybe I’m just easy to please.

#1437 5 years ago

You can keep throwing turds into my AS punch bowl, but it won’t stop me from drinking out of it (that’s a metaphor). It’s a great game, top 3 for me.

1 week later
#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Forgive me if this has already been asked but, did stern remove the adult speech when they gave us that last code update. I have it enabled, but Jackie doesn't say the things he used to.

I may have missed it, but I don't remember ever hearing any adult callouts. I was actually going to add some in (there are several in the image).

#1463 5 years ago

The callouts just before the ball is launched at his head need to be a lot shorter. And is nobody else annoyed that the TOYS insert is flashing all the time, EXCEPT during Toys multiball? It’s such an obvious bug with an easy fix. I’m tempted to remove the wire on that insert’s LED until it’s fixed.

#1469 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I must be wrong about Jacky and the F . Need someone with pinball browser to check and verify that it is or isn't in there. Let look for new code update soon. I'm still going to say June 6th. Stern has all other game code looking good. Plus, summer is almost here.

That quote is definitely in the ROM. I was planning to replace the tilt sound with it.

2 months later
#1715 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

I am so on the fence about this machine. One popped up locally in great shape (huo) for 4500. Just not really sure about since I have never really played it that much. Only once or twice at the expos and so much is going on there it's hard to focus on one machine. What everyone's thoughts? This would be my first modern stern as well.

@jon9598 you’re welcome to come down to Duluth and put 20 games on mine. I can give you the run-down on risk/reward and scoring strategies. I consider it on par with my other late-model Sterns.

3 weeks later
#1869 5 years ago

I only had time to update mine and change the volume settings - holy crap, there are like 20 audio settings now. It’s actually overwhelming. I couldn’t get the sound back to the way I liked it with my 10” Flipper Fidelity setup. Will try again tomorrow :-/

#1929 5 years ago

There are combos on Aerosmith? Lol.

2 months later
#2172 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

This is proving difficult because on a short plunge, the ball hits the top of the right sling and most times never makes it down to the flippers before it hits something to end the skill shot.

You probably have to skillfully whap the right side of the cabinet at just the right time to guide the ball to that flipper without hitting switches. I’m going to go try it now that I know about it.

5 months later
#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

One of the most over looked and under rated games in pinball history. Congrats and welcome to the club!

I’ve been eyeballing IMDN Premium for almost a year now, but I still don’t know if I’d love it as much as AS.

2 months later
#2607 4 years ago

I’ve had AS for 2 years, and it’s still one of the 3 pins I go to first after work. For me, it’s simple: I like most of the songs, the game shoots well, and the risk/reward of going for a bigger Toybox is like gambling. It definitely became more fun for me once I got the skill shot dialed in to where I can make it 30% of the time.

#2611 4 years ago

I love my new JP2, but it doesn’t make me scat-sing like my AS. “Shappa dabba doopow, buh shabba doo ba”

1 year later
#3353 2 years ago

I’ve had my Aerosmith Pro on location for about 3 months, and it’s got a peculiar problem. Sometimes (always?) during Toys in the Attic multiball, a ball will stop in the VUK that feeds the box. After a while, the game shows an error:

“Operator Alert - Right Eject Device Malfunction”

Eventually the game dumps whatever balls are in the toy box, and kicks out the ball from the VUK slot.

I’ve checked and rechecked the switch for the VUK, and it’s fine. I wonder if the real problem is in the toy box, and the error message is itself in error? I’m going to go back on Saturday to spend more time under the hood. I just hoped this might be familiar to someone who’s had this issue. This ONLY happens during TITA MB. Thanks!

#3355 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Just a wild guess here- The toy chest has to have a way of counting how many balls are in there. Maybe do a switch test and place balls one at a time in the toy box to see if each ball registers. If one ball is not being counted it could lock things up and make it go into ball search mode, hence the ball dump.

Yeah, my first hunch with any Stern is that there’s an opto out, or just out of alignment. That tends to be the most common problem - easily fixed though.

1 month later
#3358 2 years ago

My Aerosmith is back home! It got 2,000 plays in its 4 months at the mall, so tonight I did a complete tear down, clean and wax. Aerosmith had the best earnings for its last month, with 9 other pins to play. Every time I went to visit, people were raving about how fun it was. I don’t think I’ll put a personal game on location again, but I’m glad a lot of people got to enjoy it.

While I had the ramps off I got some good pics of the back orbit. Love the rats on the raft.

14C7BA4A-E555-4831-83AA-BA9786753A25 (resized).jpeg14C7BA4A-E555-4831-83AA-BA9786753A25 (resized).jpeg24D163D7-92FA-48EA-8E9E-E3A14D3833A3 (resized).jpeg24D163D7-92FA-48EA-8E9E-E3A14D3833A3 (resized).jpeg2EFC85CC-E717-42A7-B6F4-BFB0D1980587 (resized).jpeg2EFC85CC-E717-42A7-B6F4-BFB0D1980587 (resized).jpegCF000E58-5573-4FC8-B02D-10980377F031 (resized).jpegCF000E58-5573-4FC8-B02D-10980377F031 (resized).jpeg
#3359 2 years ago

Here’s the game after a good bloody-knuckles cleaning.

38F82AE8-131E-485E-99BD-7152247D8857 (resized).jpeg38F82AE8-131E-485E-99BD-7152247D8857 (resized).jpegF91105D2-80DE-475A-9CB1-2730F7C2AD97 (resized).jpegF91105D2-80DE-475A-9CB1-2730F7C2AD97 (resized).jpeg
#3361 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’d reseat the trough optos first ... they’re always the first thing to try.
rd

Quoted from PoMC:

Have you changed the toybox eject power in the settings? If you have, set it back to the default power. I noticed that error on my machine when I changed increased the toybox eject power. Set it back to default and no more errors.

I did both of these things and the problem seems to have gone away. Appreciate the help guys!
And why is this club thread so quiet? Everybody must be enjoying their games.

2 weeks later
#3402 2 years ago

I finally figured out how to repeat this error at will, and the fix was really simple: I flashed 1.07 to a new SanDisk card. I realized that I’d updated the code just before the game went on location, and the first report of the problem was the 2nd day on location. So I figured that it had to be a bad SSD, and I was right!

Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve had my Aerosmith Pro on location for about 3 months, and it’s got a peculiar problem. Sometimes (always?) during Toys in the Attic multiball, a ball will stop in the VUK that feeds the box. After a while, the game shows an error:
“Operator Alert - Right Eject Device Malfunction”
Eventually the game dumps whatever balls are in the toy box, and kicks out the ball from the VUK slot.
I’ve checked and rechecked the switch for the VUK, and it’s fine. I wonder if the real problem is in the toy box, and the error message is itself in error? I’m going to go back on Saturday to spend more time under the hood. I just hoped this might be familiar to someone who’s had this issue. This ONLY happens during TITA MB. Thanks!

#3419 2 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

No Topper? Looks great! DD side blades are a must.

Where do you guys find/buy the DD blades? I’d love a link, thanks in advance.

#3420 2 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

I do but the price makes me cry! lol

What’s the street price these days on an AS topper? The guy that sold me mine included a topper, definitely one of the better ones Stern has done.

Sorry, I missed the eBay auction. If I ever sell mine, I’ll post it on Pinside, because F**k eBay and their fees.

#3424 2 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

This looks like a fishing expedition.

No, mine isn’t for sale, I was just curious. I don’t believe the two $2000 eBay sales, something is fishy about that IMO.

#3428 2 years ago

Stern could re-run these toppers and sell them for $700 at any time, and I’m surprised that they haven’t. I remember feeling kind of smug about having an original IM when it was going for $6k+, due to demand and rarity. Stern saw the opportunity and came out with the IMVE, and I ended up losing money when I sold my game.

2 weeks later
#3447 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

$400, cash. That’s a fair offer for a used topper.

#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Toybox lock launches the ball and then won't load another ball.
Releases from the box.
I re-seated my connections today.
Anyone else have or had this issue?

Check your trough optos.

#3458 2 years ago

I love these DD blades.

257DFF21-A0D0-4118-8B5E-B40913C1108C (resized).jpeg257DFF21-A0D0-4118-8B5E-B40913C1108C (resized).jpegC0472299-B92A-4EFD-B72C-84B6A3EC0A8F (resized).jpegC0472299-B92A-4EFD-B72C-84B6A3EC0A8F (resized).jpegC9EC8C6C-5879-44AF-B214-E40D5CF8D03A (resized).jpegC9EC8C6C-5879-44AF-B214-E40D5CF8D03A (resized).jpeg
#3462 2 years ago

I doubt my wife will ever notice that I added the Dirty Donny blades. I guess that’s one benefit of having a totally disinterested spouse.

#3469 2 years ago

The risk/reward is great, but it’s just a damned fun pin. I had mine on location for the last 4 months that our local arcade was open, and it was the top earner, ahead of a bunch of other newer Sterns. I played it almost every day for about year and I never got tired of it. I thought Jacky’s voice would get old, but I love the little smart-ass now. “Those things at the bottom are called FLIPPERS!”.

#3470 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I had Black Knight once, after having it about 3 weeks wife came in room and noticed it and asked; So when did you get that? So Yes I know disinterested. Were married.!

I did a temp trade with a friend (my Congo for his TWD), and about a month later I decided to buy TWD. I told my wife and she said “When are you gonna pick it up?” “Uh, it’s been here for a month, you didn’t notice it?” I’m letting my friend keep Congo for a few more months. Definitely not selling that, it’s good temp trade bait!

#3473 2 years ago

2 people have told me that they didn’t like AS until they played mine, with the 10” woofer. Good sound definitely makes a difference in this pin. Some day I’ll try PinWoofer! I just to sell some stuff first.

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

So is there any physical adjustment to make as well? Can the scoop be pointed left/right a little bit?

Yes, you can bend the scoop to aim the ball. Small changes are all that’s needed.

#3497 2 years ago

I think the LCD graphics are awesome for Aerosmith. It would seem weird with anything else, to me anyway.

#3503 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Probably have to be a member of that Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinballenthusiasts/

Thanks, I sent a request. I belong to about 10 different FB pinball groups now, it’s crazy.

2 weeks later
#3523 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Ahhh... that's why I see yo-yo mods and other weird shit for sale!

Imma put a roller skate and a fire truck on mine and call it a topper! /s

3 weeks later
#3567 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Original cartoon animations held this game back

I’m probably in the minority, but I love the animations. I’m pretty sure that Dirty Donny Gilles did the artwork for them, or if he didn’t someone at Stern is very talented at mimicking his style.

#3569 2 years ago

It’s great to have 2 good choices, for sure.

#3573 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

He quoted me $175 which is still about $150 too much. He warned me he was going to up it to $250 later.

Well that sucks. Good thing I like the cartoons, lol.

#3575 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

He's upfront with the price so you can pay it or not. I ordered one today and I'll let you know if it's worth it after install. I will say he was nice to work with and shipped same day.

Just seems wrong, given that the lion’s share of the work was done by Oga when he did the Pinball Browser. I’m sure this wasn’t what Oga had in mind, and it feels like a slippery slope from here to a complete Stern lockout of Pinball Browser -based images.

#3596 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yep. Just love the animations on Dude Looks Like a Lady.

I’m pretty sure one of those “dudes” is Jack Danger.

1 year later
#3805 1 year ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm having a problem I hope y'all can help me with.
My Aerosmith occasionally locks up. The back box screen either goes black, displays only what is on there when it locks, or displays a static image with lines. The lower playfield goes black except I can see the little red opto lights. The flippers stop working. It will work properly upon reset. The back box CPU board appears to work correctly, at least the proper lights are flashing or solid green or red .
Any ideas what to look for?

I’d start by checking the power supply voltages. It wouldn’t hurt to replace the SD card, if you haven’t done that. I had an issue on my AS that was caused by corrupted code on the SD card. My AS has a problem I haven’t spent much time on: about every 20 times I power up my row of Sterns, AS doesn't boot. But it boots up fine on restart. I haven’t had any in-game problems so I’ve put it on the back burner for now while working on my other games.

2 months later
#3835 1 year ago

I’d love to see an optical spinner retrofitted to this game.

2 months later
#3880 1 year ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Sometimes the Blackbox glows on start and nothing else happens

Mine does this occasionally, and I just restart it.

Quoted from BMHouze:

Sometimes, game will freeze during play, sometimes it catches up, some times it powers down and resets.

I have not had this problem on mine. I really haven’t had any problems other than the very occasional failed startup.

#3885 1 year ago

Aerosmith has the most beautiful art of any modern Stern - one reason it’s hard for me to think of letting it go. I kinda feel like the bolt-on mods take your attention away from that.

#3888 1 year ago

The Dirty Donny art blades are pretty cool, I posted pics earlier:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/70#post-6357844

#3892 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Do you take the playfield out to put the blades in?

No, but it would be much easier if I did. I clamp the decal in place, then work my way from the front to the back.

#3907 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So you’re telling me there’s a chance? I’m looking for an Aerosmith near MI/Chicago/Wis. Heading to MCG soon.

I really need to rank my DMDs, so I know what to sell if FF is great. I sold LOTR to buy Rush Premium, and I have no regrets about doing that.

#3909 1 year ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

UPDATE on my game freezing, reseting issue (sporatic).
Before replacing the whole cpu card $$$
Stern service has suggested I re-write the cpu SD card.

YES - I had a weird issue with mine, and it was a corrupted SD card. I burned a new one and haven’t had any problems since.

1 week later
#3926 11 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Anyone have an issue where the ball launch is struggling to get the ball out onto the playfield?
I have the power set at 255.

Does it sound weak, or does it sound like it’s firing but something’s blocking it?

#3930 11 months ago

I was confused - I thought it was the trough kicker you were talking about. If it’s the auto-fire it’s almost definitely the alignment of the “fork”

#3932 11 months ago

That actually looks fine to me. Can you do a slow-motion video of an auto-launch?

#3934 11 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Let me know what you think.
I still can’t figure it out.
I recorded in slow-no, but YouTube is speeding it up. Ugh.

Well now I’m stumped too. It’s not rattling around and it looks like it’s shooting straight. Must be something to do with the autofire coil or its plunger.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.