IMG_4962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4955 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4956 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4954 (resized).jpeg
17086809037297000656547500638295 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #253 KISS shooter lane protector on Aerosmith Posted by Shapeshifter (6 years ago)

Post #575 Toybox Kickout protector pictures Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #616 Full protector set pic for Prem/LE Aerosmith Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Spike and Spike 2 sudden reset fix information Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My first thoughts were the box was simply wrong because the invoice and the paperwork was all correct. However, after opening the box and seeing a purple game I knew at that moment it was in fact a premium and made the decision to contact the distributor first thing Monday morning.

That was cool and considerate of you, but if you're shipped something you didn't order FTC says you can keep it. I'd see what the Dist offers and work toward a win-win discount so he's not totally screwed and you don't pay more than you thought you were going to. You did something you legally didn't have to do by calling him, which he should appreciate.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Hah ... I use that too. I'm another one of the lucky ones. Mine wanted WOZ ... got it. Then she wanted Hobbit ... got it for her as a surprise. Now she doesn't know which she likes more ... DI or AS Prem. Decisions ...

Dialed In or AS Prem? Dialed In wins that one.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You sure about that? Aerosmith is no slouch and one of the funniest pins I've ever played!

Positive. I've had a solid day with it getting it ready for route. It's okay, but it's a very basic (but flashy) design. Despite what people keep saying the gameplay has a lot of similarities to KISS. I wouldn't kick it to the curb like WrestleMania or anything, but Dialed In wins, hands down. Way more to do and see, and substantially better build quality.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

its not "high voltage" anymore. Its under 50 volts even at max - and the power supply is variable.

But it's still super annoying not to have it cut power to the coils. I was working in the shooter lane with the coin door open and triggered the shooter lane switch and got smacked in the finger with the auto launcher. Ouch. Would not have happened with the cutoff.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Agreed - But if you put it into the menu doesn't it cut the coil power?

Nope. Tried that. Still kicks if you hit the shooter lane switch, even with the system menu up. Not cool.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I also like that the playfields on AS appear to have a better quality clear coat compared to other recent Stern games. Maybe the pkayfield company recently made a change to improve quality.

Mmm...maybe not. Here's the AS Prem I just put mylar on to protect the shooter kickout. Looks great in the first picture, right? In the second picture, I laid a flashlight down in the shooter lane, which illuminated it from the side, revealing that they didn't prep the wood completely and there were probably fifty or more pen-tip size divots in the surface of the shooter lane. You can sort of feel them as a "roughness" in the lane, but they're mostly filled with clear, so it's not like holes, just not smooth. I wonder how widespread this issue is, since you can't really see it unless you illuminate from the side?

ASshooter-lane-1 (resized).JPGASshooter-lane-1 (resized).JPG
AS-shooter-lane-2 (resized).JPGAS-shooter-lane-2 (resized).JPG

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I would guess most shooter lanes are this way. They just route the wood and then clear over the top, it isn't hit with a sander or anything else so the clear just goes into the pours etc.

Checked. Batman'66, no. KISS x 2, no. GoT, no. I stopped checking after that.

#124 6 years ago

Okie dokie. Guess not. I'll have to take a close look at my AS and see if I see anything. It looked fine from a distance

It was only visible with a bright multi-led flashlight parallel to the shooter lane. Looking down or even a little to the side of it looked fine. You can also feel it if you run your fingers over it.

1 week later
#145 6 years ago
Quoted from SamIam:

Can someone tell me more about the "smart missle" I had it pop up last night on the screen & the smart button was flashing white so I hit it... no idea what it did, how I earned it or how it's used. I was pretty far along having a good game, love this machine.

You earned it as a mystery award from the scoop. Using it finishes one of the mode shots, AFAIK. I almost never see it, so can't be sure 100%.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Shaker motor for aerosmith? yay or nay??

I say yay, BUT NOT the Red Tremor one. Get the pinball life one for like $99. Works great. Some people were complaining about the integration of the shaker motor in Aerosmith, but I think it's fine.

It's here:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

#155 6 years ago

Cliff is pretty busy, but I chatted with him by email and he said he'd look into creating protectors for the AS LE eventually so figure he really means all the AS pins.
My LE is holding up well so far, but I've ordered cliffys for the drop target, under ramp switches, outhole, and drain. He hasn't made anything specific for AS yet, but I think what I ordered will work just fine.

Cut some mylar and stick that in the shooter lane until a Cliffy shows up. Protects it pretty well.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Aerosmith LE owner #10 here. Pinballlife sells pin footies and leg bolt spacers that match the LE trim really nicely. Going to do my playfield posts in purple too.

With the cabinet issues (front cracking and/or separating from the sides) Stern has had since Ghostbusters, the pinfooties are probably a bad idea, even if you've reinforced the cabinet with B/W brackets (which I recommend).

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious how you owners feel about the game so far, especially if it were in a smaller collection with Metallica? How deep will rules go, and lasting power in a smaller collection? Really like what I see so far.

I'd wait and see how it develops. Code is okay, but pretty shallow from what I've played of it. I'd much rather spend time on a Metallica Pre or KISS Pre or LE than AS at the moment. IF I could only do one additional machine, I'd go with a non-music pin like Dialed In or Houdini (which is looking really special).

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Vic - Konghusker asked how "owners" feel about the game. You didn't buy one did you?

Well, we're splitting hairs here, but I believe the point was people who had it in their homes to play many games over many days or weeks, which is USUALLY HUO, but I have an unusual situation. I definitely had it in my house for a while getting it ready to go on route, and I played the crap out of it trying to understand why people were freaking out over it (and I can still play it whenever I like for as long as I like). So I had the benefit of having it in my house without the subconscious need to justify it if I didn't like it.

And on your list of games from a couple posts back, AS would fall squarely in the lower middle for depth. It's really not that deep of a game and has less MB modes than KISS.

#202 6 years ago

3 Ball, i don't make any of my games 5 ball.

5 Ball is training wheels for the real world. I had a friend I got into pinball that started on 10 ball GoT (and was terrible), then worked up to 5, and finally made it to 3 ball and has scored a billion on it. Practice makes perfect.

#204 6 years ago

Has anyone had the thing where the game will suddenly dump all the balls out of the toybox when it's not in a multiball mode? I've had this happen twice now, but I'm not sure what's causing it to happen.

1 week later
#218 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Where is every buying their leg bolt spacers? I checked pinball life and never found any in color or clear.

Ace hardware.

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

From the beginning:
- Start Walk This Way. Finish it for Super Ramps
- Shoot scoop. Select Last Child. Finish it for Super orbits
- Lock 4-5 balls
- Start Elevator MB to get rewarded with a 4 or 5 ball Elevator MB instead of the usual 3
- Shoot scoop - Select Sweet Emotion
- Start Toybox Multi-Ball
- Shoot ramps and orbits to collect all super shots
- Never let auto-plunge engage, always short plunge to avoid SDTM or straight down the right outlane when the ball gets shot out of the pops.

If you finish Rats in the Cellar and Last Child you have Super Spinner and Super Orbits, so one shot to the right orbit gives you double supers.

3 weeks later
#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

It's a great game! I was going pro but distributor only had Prem! Hmm what do I do!! Already having a Met, thought about it for a min and decided to go Prem. Upper PF offered greater variation between the two.

The extra scoring abilities with the Premium definitely make it a good choice over AS Pro.

1 week later
#262 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think I've found a bug. Three times now, after I started Rats in the Cellar, the song audio changed to something else. The red "Rats" insert was still flashing, and I was definitely playing that mode, but the audio changed to something else (a different song every time). It's always a few seconds into starting the mode.
EDIT: found another bug. The "TOYS" insert flashes continuously, until TITA MB starts - then it goes out. The logic is reversed somewhere.
EDIT: send both of these to [email protected].

That's related to the KISS bug, most likely because the code is the same. It's noted in the KISS 1.28 buglist and hasn't been fixed in like a year. On KISS, once you know how to do it, you can do it every time:

"- Song can be changed just after ball launched so it's playing one song, but you're doing the objectives for the adjacent song."

Nice to know they just infected Aerosmith with the same bug.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I have been considering this game for a while now - this and DI.
I only have 1 pin(GB) so far so I have to choose carefully because this might be it for a while.
I have almost pulled the trigger on AS about 3 times now and chicken out each time.

Get Dialed In and see if that's enough for now. Aerosmith is all right, but it's a pretty one-trick pony that's very short on multiball modes compared to KISS where it got a lot of its code. GB and Dialed In should be enough to carry you through until more pins show up later this year and we can see how Houdini turns out.

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Totally disagree. I say Get the AS.

If AS is the only pin of the two he's considering you have, I can see why you would say that. If you have both to compare directly, it's a no-brainer. Dialed In is the obvious choice. That said, there's a $1600 price premium on the DI LE, so there IS that. But it's the better game.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The upper p/f is one of those extras that isn't worth the money but it is worthing having as it has such purpose in that setting up the 2 times scoring is very satisfying.

Yep. Not having the upper playfield will ding your scores if you're good at stacking (Prem/LE only) double scoring with the other lower PF bonuses. If you're getting AS, Prem is the way to go if you can afford it.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

All this means is that if you can't compare your scores to Pro. Kind of a silly argument. I'm sure there are other (better) reasons to go Pre/LE.

Of course there are other reasons, but that's the best one, IMO. The AS Prem/LE is more challenging as a result of the upper PF, and you get the bonus of an extra scoring stack.

#301 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

All of the versions are great, hard to go wrong with any of them.
Has anybody else run into the problem where the song you hear doesn't match the playfield mode? It happened to me a bunch more today, to the point where it was getting annoying. I can always avoid it if I remember not to flip for a few seconds after picking a song, but I don't want to have to explain that to people who come over.

It's been mentioned a few posts ago. This is a bug inherited from KISS because AS uses KISS code. It's in the KISS 1.28 bug log here.

EDIT: Asked and answered a page ago by you already. ???

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm asking a different question - whether other AS owners have seen the problem. As far as I know I'm the only one, so maybe something is wrong with my specific game.

It's happened to me, too, but having KISS, I recognized it immediately. So, no, it's not your machine.

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
I was wondering to add it to my line-up.
Just would like to know what is the best deal between pro and premium.
I heard the mini playfield was to X2 playfield ( X2 through mistery for the Pro)
What are the other main differences, hardware and software? Any another MB like on Tron?
Thanks

It's not x2. It's double scoring which STACKS with the mystery and lower playfield x2. So there's no equivalent on the pro.

#313 6 years ago

Ok, Thanks for the clarification.
Are there other main differences?

Well, there's an additional drop target (entrance to the elevator), almost double the number of RGB lighting inserts, and I like the cabinet color better on the Prem, personally. But the double scoring and extra RGB inserts are the most important things not on the Pro, IMO.

#316 6 years ago

What does the elevator toy?
Is the ball can go from main to mini playfield through this elevator? Or just a scoop?
Sorry for the question, I have only played a pro.
Thanks

It's a VUK that shoots the ball up to the mini-playfield from the lower one (behind the additional drop target).

Here's a pic that shows where the ball goes in to hit the target, then when the target's down it is shot up with the VUK, then comes out on the plastic "runway" where it can exit to the right or down the elevator shaft to the trough that kicks the ball to the toybox.

aerosmith-prem (resized).jpgaerosmith-prem (resized).jpg

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Yep. Had about 3 where ball gets stuck under mini PF. Haven't taken mini PF off to see why this happens yet. I have not personally got a ball stuck but my wife got ball stuck on her first game with her first shot! WTF she felt like she had broken pin first shot lol. It took awhile to find the ball the first time, now I know I have a tool that can easily remove ball when this happens.
If it becomes more frequent I will look under mini PF and adjust accordingly. Has anyone had to do this? Would be good to know what fix works best. Cheers

If it's down the elevator from the mini PF, quite a few have had a piece partially obstructing that path. Remove the Mini-PF enough to shift whatever's in the way. It solved the problem for everyone else that mentioned it.

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So I haven't followed AS in a couple months. Have their been any code updates or hints of any code updates coming?

Haven't heard of more code coming yet. But the KISS song-changing bug is confirmed to be in the AS code, too.

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Please tell me what you are on about? Who from Stern and when was this confirmed. You seem to be the only person that keeps saying this.

I know it's hard, but try to keep up before making false accusations. I never said Stern confirmed it, but with three people now mentioning the issue (me and two others) and the fact that they cloned KISS code as a base for Aerosmith, it's pretty clear what happened.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/6#post-3859299
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/6#post-3859505

#343 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

While Stern certainly uses a base software package, that's only smart, it doesn't mean that games are clones of each other. What facts back this up?

Well, the fact that the Aerosmith shipped software still had "KISS Army Multiball" in the settings menu of the initial release is a pretty good clue.

The AS song select bug is activated in EXACTLY the same way as KISS. That's another big clue.

It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

#345 6 years ago

I'm sure Stern starts with a base game package that has basic menus, basic play etc. Then as the design of the game is implemented they will pull shared resources and use the pieces that make sense.

Pretty sure that's what I said: "...they cloned KISS code as a base for Aerosmith..."

No idea why that's such a controversial statement in light of the clear evidence.

#347 6 years ago

Semantics mostly. I think KISS and AS probably started from the same blank base, but it's highly doubtful that they took the KISS code, copied (cloned) it to a directory and then started removing/changing items. That would take more time and usually leads to more bugs and harder to maintain code.
Think of it more like this
->Base Code (including a library of common components)
|-> KISS
|-> AS
|-> SW
I doubt it was KISS -> AS. That would lead to two completely separate code branches that would need to be maintained separately. If you found a bug with a node board firmware you'd have to go back and change it in every branch of code. If you use the same base libraries, you would change it in one spot, test on one machine and all would be good for any others.

That's all well and good, but that wouldn't explain how KISS Army Multiball ended up in the menus on Aerosmith. You're giving them WAY too much operational efficiency credit. Extremely clear they didn't start from a blank re-usable code base. Chunks were copied wholesale from existing KISS code, then modified. Some more than others.

#350 6 years ago

I could be giving them to much credit, but a simple copy and paste mistake in the menu could be just in the menu label (the function call). The underlying code can still be in the code base.
e.g. They could have a call such as setMultiballMenuOption("KISS Army Multiball", 4); Where the title and number of balls are passed in. All of the functionality for handling the option would be down lower. Yes engineers will copy and paste routinely from known code sources instead of typing it all from memory and I don't see a problem with that. The problem is they didn't change the title.
I will say with how many games they are releasing a year, it's highly doubtful that each is an independent branch. They have to be using a SDK/library at the bottom and reusing/sharing as much as possible. That is just good use of software resources. Engineers (me included) just cost to much to start from scratch every time.

Dunno. I've seen the most horrendous code management and deployment processes at so many major game software companies firsthand over 25 years that I am extremely jaded about that kind of stuff. There's the right way and then there's the way it usually gets done. Given the two clear markers (Kiss Army Multiball appearing in AS menu, and the AS song bug that behaves exactly like the KISS one) I'm pretty sure best practices were not in force for at least part of the project.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Code was in fact terrible 25, 15, even 10 years ago. Not all of course there are always exceptions
But generally modern techniques and methodologies for developing software in a responsible manner have only really become more mainstream over the last 10 years or so, maybe only reaching wide adoption in the last 5. Unfortunately there are still way too many out there not yet leveraging these techniques.

There's been progress, but not enough has changed. There's still bad practices at many of the biggest companies currently. I've been in it for 25 years, but my firsthand experiences with bad code isn't 25 years old. It's ongoing. The gift that keeps on giving.

So, yeah, there's a chance Stern is getting their code libraries in order, but AS has some specific markers that strongly suggest it's still a Frankenstein approach.

#355 6 years ago

As for next code update, what do people want? Or rather hope for....
1. More use of firebutton
2. Code the outlanes to make a sound!
3. Tweak Medley multiball as it's a bit of a grind right now.

4. Fix extra ball animation so it stops the mode clock. Right now it chews up almost 10 seconds off the clock.
5. Fix song change bug that can happen at ball launch
6. Put software compensation on the toybox shot so it makes it work more reliably. It seems to go in waves, not just random. It will make a lot, then start missing a lot. Houdini is a much longer shot and it seemed much more accurate because of software compensation that "learned."

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I would like to see a quick video mode that uses the Smart Button while the magnet holds the ball. Maybe something to do with the ducks or cows or other animations.

I'd like to see a video mode where you're Joe Perry trying to casually bump Steven Tyler into the audience while playing guitar.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

So this is interesting...when I was first setting up my machine AS Premium I noticed all the cable harnesses were labeled Toys LE. I didn't think much of it as all my ST harnesses were labeled Prem/LE and figured they just marked them all either Pro or LE since there is no electrical difference (to my knowledge) between the premium and pro playfields.

The other day when cleaning the machine I noticed that my mini playfield is signed, looks like my machine shipped with a Premium cabinet and an LE playfield after all.

Toys was the code name, and the Prem has the LE harnesses and stuff. They don't make a special one for the Prems.

3 weeks later
#454 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

So I will need an adapter? Right now, my BriteButtons connect via Molex connector. I don;t see a Molex connector in the cab.

Yes, you need an adapter to hook in to that board.

#458 6 years ago

Ok, I did a test of sorts and lowered the overhanging plastic.
Still get rejects.
I did lots of tests and I think what happens is if the shot isn't perfect straight ball deflects as it goes up ramp and then hits the small mini post on the left and then wobbles and comes back down.
Not sure there is any solution to that except play better?!

Iphone filming in slo-mo is super-useful for diagnosing these issues to see what the actual problem is as opposed to the perceived problem. If you have one, give that a shot. You can slow the resulting video even more in editing programs.

#474 6 years ago

Solution of sorts.
I put a piece of card here - see photo.
Ramp is now butter smooth - well, I got 10 out of 10 which is good enough. I miss it so often that testing takes a long time
Anyway a more permanent solution is making a clear plastic that fits here. There is room to fit one I think.
Not sure I can do that but that is the way forward.

Or you could try bending the top right wall of the ramp inward 1mm or so. It only needs a tiny amount to be guided past the rubber while still leaving the rubber fully accessible for nudging.

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I was wrong about the fix for this,I made a plastic cover that was like the top plastic but lower and that did a little I think but your card cover is the answer,I just need to figure out how to make a plastic card that stays in place,I am now getting about 99 percent, shot is hard enough so this is very nice
Love this game
Good job,thanks

Slo-mo iPhone pinball problem diagnosis will be in the next iPhone ad. ANOTHER useful thing it does...

1 week later
#510 6 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Pro vs. Premium/LE.
From all the videos I've been watching, it appears that the Pro has more flow than the Premium or LE.
I tried finding some videos showcasing the upper playfield in action with little luck.
For those that have played both, in your opinion, is the Premium/LE worth the extra money?
Does it offer that much more than the Pro?
I'm leaning towards the Pro, but I'm still up in the air.
Thanks for your input.

Premium is the way to go, plus you have scoring opportunities not present at all on the Pro.

1 week later
#525 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how good the game sounds with the factory speakers. I know it's not mind blowing but it's not bad at all really.

Definitely one of the better sounding pins with everything stock.

1 week later
#558 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Had something scary happen last night. I was cleaning and making some minor adjustments and powered the game off while in diagnostics.... loaded balls back up, put the glass back in, powered back up and nothing.
Tried powering back off for about 30 seconds and back on... nothing.
Opened the head and could see all power leds indicating good power... still nothing. Basically spike2 was refusing to boot after shutting down in diagnostics.
I noticed that the 5v led was still barely on after power down apparently slowly drawing from the power supply caps do I unplugged the power supply output lines going to the main board and all nodes. Waited a moment, plugged them back in and powered up. Successfull boot!!!
*phew*
So lesson learned: apparently Spike2 does not have any circuitry to shut off logic on power down and is relying entirely on loss of power to fully reset. The power supply has enough capacitance to keep the logic alive at some level for quite a while after power down. If your system encounteres something you can't seem to clear with a power cycle... maybe give it 20-30 minutes while off or unplug the boards for a moment.

Pretty common with Spike. You just have to leave it off for a hair longer before powering up again.

2 weeks later
#576 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Cliffy's finally got the kickout protectors done.....

I completely forgot to check back in with him about this protector. Awesome he got it done! Pretty much a must-have if you don't want that heavily-used spot to wear.

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

You can see in that first photo how much wear the kick-out hole was already getting. I think these are going to be a must have.

Yep, definitely a must-have. I didn't notice that one edge on the left was really worn away from square as it turned the corner from the ball resting there. That'll probably get nasty pretty quickly.

1 month later
#614 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This post refers to a "cliffy" protector but the pictures are of a mantis style protector, any more information on where this hole protector can be purchased?

Cliffy. It had to be made this way because of the shape of the kickout.

2 weeks later
#653 6 years ago

It never usually is in money terms, especially as AS pro is real nice and has a touch more flow as the ramp on the LE is super steep, which means unless shot is perfect, a fair few get rejected.

That AS Prem/LE ramp shot can be fixed so most shots make it. It shipped with a design flaw that causes rejects because the ball can hit a gap on the right when it peaks. There's a fix out there and it works. Look it up.

#662 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Also, this struck me as odd. I had the coin door opened, let the ball come out of the toy box and power was still going to the slings, the bumpers etc. This normal?

Spike system doesn't cut power when you open the coin door.

#664 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Stern Pinball has released two recent service bulletins for this machine.
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-189-core-node-stabilization/2235/Stern-SB189.pdf
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-190-core-node-capacitor-service/2236/Stern-SB190.pdf
US customers should contact Stern Pinball, Inc. at 800-542-5377 or [email protected]
All customers outside of the US should contact their distributor.

I also verified that they weren't omitted, KISS and Game of Thrones don't have the boards affected by these SBs.

#669 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Aerosmith... there’s just something special about it. We love ours
But when the heck will we get a skill shot, smart button implementation, outlane sounds, attract mode flipper button sounds, song selection bug resolution & some other ill shit?
I see there’s 2 tech bulletins requiring a spacer & capacitor. Is that related to the game resets & loud ass power supply that sounds like a hovercraft? The tech bulletin itemized symptoms vs fix but IMO it was sorta vague still somehow.

No. The tech bulletins are to stop your node boards from dying. I would say it's extremely important to do both of the SBs.

You can replace the fan and it will be so quiet you can't hear when it comes on. I did that with all the Stern Spike machines that came in because the stock power supply fan is annoyingly (and inexcusably) loud.

3 weeks later
#743 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I got my Aerosmith pro this week, what a fast game. I have a problem with the ball eject. Very often I got 2 balls in the shooter lane.
Any idea how to fix that ?
Thanks
Greetings

Got into test mode (diag) and do the ball trough test (I think it's labeled CLR with a picture of a ball) to see if it knows how many balls are in the trough as you eject each one in the test mode. Likely you have a loose-flaky opto and that test should help you visualize it.

#747 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Hi guys I just unboxed my Aerosmith Le today and I noticed it has done this a few times during game play. I had 5 Balls locked in the toy box and then I started elavator multiball so it just released all my balls from the toy box. Is this a code glitch or is there a way to fix that thanks.

It has no way to only give part of the balls in the toybox, it's all or nothing, since it just raises the floor of the box and dumps it out. Doing what you did is a "trick" to get more than 3 ball multiball in Elevator Multiball.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

The test works fine, but i notice that the ball very often hangs at the end of the ball through (top), see picture.
Any idea how to fix that ??

I'd check to make sure that the coil eject isn't binding by manually moving it up and down to see if you feel any resistance. Also, did you change the coil pulse power to low on setting 43 of the main adjustments menu?

Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Now I have an other problem. I only hear the bass and a summing tone from the backbox speaker
» YouTube video
Any idea ?

Open the backbox panel and follow the connections from the speaker panel back to the system board and see if they've come loose. Your cabinet speaker is giving the bass, but the cabinet speakers aren't working. So either an unplugged/loose wire or a blown amplifier chip.

#761 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I think the reject problem is sloved. I had installed a pu shooter lane protectors. I removed it and i had no problems till now.
For the sound, I checked the connection but they are all ok. The cabinet speaker works but not the backbox speakers. I think the CPU board has a damage
Hope my dealer can fix it soon

Use the cliffy shooter lane protectors and you won't have that problem, but your shooter lane will remain protected. Email him since they're not on his site yet. Email [email protected] and ask for Aerosmith shooter lane protector (and the toybox eject protector while you're at it) and he'll send you an invoice.

You might want to also check with pinball heaven and/or ministry of pinball since they're listed as carrying some of his stuff here:
http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm

On the sound, one other thought I had is did you change the settings at all for the music on the menus? I don't think it could strip out all the mid and high end, but maybe if you maxed out the setting it could...

1 week later
#777 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Did anyone have a good color for powder coating the pro ? I think of a darker blue which will match with the cabinet but not so good with the playfield

The sparkle ones really look great instead of just a flat color.

1 week later
#813 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

This has probably been covered before but I can't find it. The launch into the toybox is a great feature. However, I'm running into the balls being launched too high and hitting the top of the box and not entering the box. If it happens once, the subsequent shots also miss. Then I'll play a game and it's perfect. Does the launch recalibrate itself during gameplay? Is the strength of the launch adjustable, or am I better off leaving it alone and living with it?
Thanks.
Hogey

I don't think there's an auto calibration, which the feature desperately needs. It was always inconsistent on the Premium in my experience. Sometimes it works great, other times it will miss many times in a row (not counting the times it's supposed to "miss" and hit Jacky in the head).

#815 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that there was an auto calibrate. Might have been on one of the early Stern Dead Flip streams. Mine hasn't really been a problem, and I definitely notice the auto-calibrate if it misses the first or 2nd time.

If there is an auto calibrate it must be very rough, at least on the one we had. The number of misses were WAY more than I'd expect if it was calibrated over hundreds of launches.

#818 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, I think its pretty basic and seems to start again each game. Sort of like, Ball missed reduce power, Ball missed again increase power, etc until it gets it right. It really has no way of knowing if the ball went long or short, so that all it can do until it gets it.

If it's game to game, that's idiotic and explains a lot. Why they wouldn't save that information is a mystery. They've done it on other games.

#844 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

I had a quick go at making some replacement coin cards yesterday as I couldn't find any I liked. If anyone wants a copy I'll do an A4 PDF when I get back to work on Mon. (Or you can download the Permanent Vacation cover and add some text like I did)

Seems like that would look better if you tied it in with the stone border on the three other stickers on the apron.

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Aerosmith for 9 months now and never had a " special" . How do u light special?
Thanks ,

I got it a few times as a mystery award from scoop on the left.

#862 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I didn't think these existed. Anyone have a link/picture?
Thanks.

https://www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/12#post-3997492

(Or use the topic index at the top of the page and select "Toybox kickout" link)

2 weeks later
#869 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

100 games ... I wish you were my neighbour, Rotordave!

Sounds awesome until he IS your neighbor and you're in a constant state of brownout.

1 week later
#896 6 years ago
Quoted from attitude05:

I do want to by speaker mods. I was going to do art blades but I think mirrors look better.

The Stern art blades look GREAT on Aerosmith. The best choice, by far.

#898 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

My Aerosmith got confused today. Play the false song and animation in the Display missing.
Anyone else have this happen?

Wrong song is a bug that came from KISS when they copied the code as the starting point for Aerosmith. It's well documented on KISS and Aerosmith. One of the many things that need to be fixed in Aerosmith code.

#912 6 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Where did Stern say AS code was hitting in Feb? Not saying they didn’t just curious...

This didn't sound like Aerosmith was imminent. It's thrown in with KISS and GB with new "resources" being brought on to do it:

"We continue to add resources to our software department to address updates, enhancements, bug fixes and various polish to our catalog of previous titles including Ghostbusters, Aerosmith and KISS."

#931 6 years ago

Is it possible to adjust the pop bumper power on an Aerosmtih Pro?
The power on my pop bumpers in the last month seems to have gone up for no reason and I couldn't find anything in the adjustment menu.
I'm wasting a lot of mode time when the ball gets stuck in a pop bumper mosh pit and the pop bumper skirts are chipping (3 month old machine)
Any help would be appreciated.

Turn your coil strength down in the adjustments. This trims about 5-10% power off the coils. I think Normal and Soft are the two choices.

#934 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
Will that affect all the coils or just the pop bumpers? (Everything is fine)

All the coils, but your machine gets beat up less, so it's all good. It's one of the first things I do when I set a machine up for the route.

#940 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballology:

This is a screenshot of the video I took and sent to Stern and The Pinbal Company. The Toybox reaches its max height here and then closes. 50% of the time.......
I’ll keep this thread updated with my solution from Stern.

That's the secret Peekaboo Multiball...

#960 6 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

Please post a picture of that plunger cap. I can't picture what it is. I haven't had this issue in months but used to get it frequently. I didn't really do anything just moved the assembly manually a few times so i assume the issue will come back someday.

plunger-cap (resized).jpgplunger-cap (resized).jpg

#974 6 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So is AS better than MET?

Nope. Different. Definitely not better.

#988 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

This game tears through sling rubbers! 2 titans and now this regular rubber (2.5”).

Whose regular rubber are you using?! We never had a problem with that kind if destruction of the sling rubber.

#993 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I think the titans died so quick because they were 2”. That’s the size the manual calls for but definitely too tight. This latest one is just a 2.5” Pinball life white rubber.

I haven't had good luck with Pinball Life rubber. It FEELS crappier (like it's cut in with something besides rubber) and it never lasts anywhere NEAR as long as the rubber from Marco Specialties. Try Marco white rubber. It's the best white rubber available, and I've tried them all.

#1005 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I always found the KISS right ramp really tight.
rd

Which is just the way Gene and Paul wanted it.

#1007 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m talking about the ramp, not their wallets.
Did you hear when Vinnie Vincent joined KISS in 82, they paid him $500 a week?
He was playing in front of 200,000 people in Brazil. For a couple of hundred bucks ...
rd

I was talking about their groupies, not their wallets.

#1026 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Tried a number of times backhanding the right ramp on my LE, including nudging whilst doing it, and no chance. 3/4 up (and then drain) was the best I could do. This was from a trapped ball.

Might be like KISS (it's a similar setup). Some machines are backhandable on KISS, some aren't. Dunno why. I had a KISS Prem and a KISS LE side by side with the same setup (angle) and you could backhand the Prem all day long, but the LE almost never made it. Weird.

#1034 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who else thinks Premium>Pro? Pro is pretty addictive. Is Premium worth the extra scratch? How does it change the gameplay?

For Aerosmith, the Premium is definitely the way to go. It changes the gameplay because you can get a stackable multiplier with the upper playfield that is ONLY available on the Premium.

#1038 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Might want to wait until another code update before deciding
Stern says summer
Says

Correction, they say the unloved code group updates MIGHT START in Mid-summer ("we expect" is not "will"), which is August. They called out KISS, Ghostbusters, and Aerosmith, plus other unnamed games, so there's no guarantee at all Aerosmith will be this Summer.

But Trudeau's trial will be over in Summer (unless it's delayed again), so he'll either be free or in prison for a LONG time and someone else officially handling his Ghostbusters code finish.

#1045 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Everyone who owns a Premium/LE will say their machines. Cause they will.
However, the pro is the way to go.
A/ it’s wayyyyyy cheaper
B/ got 90% of the stuff, and the other stuff isn’t required.
The only advantage I can see of the Prem/LE is Elevator MB is easier to start and so is double scoring. Does easier scoring make it worth around $1500-$2000 more?

Prem/LE has scoring multiplier that's not in the Pro. At all. And it stacks.

I don't have either anymore, so no dog in the fight. But the Prem is the better choice.

#1075 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Uncle Sam decided to take rather than give this year to the tune of $4500

Uncle Sam had nothing to do with it. That's your new perpetual corporate contribution.

#1076 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

On the brightside your taxes will be complete by April 15th
The same cannot be said for Aerosmith

Conversely, I'm positive Aerosmith will be complete by April 15th.

1 week later
#1121 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Completely forgot about a shaker.
Any issues with hooking a Red Tremor on this?
Is a shaker appropriately coded on this title?

Red Tremors are too much like a jackhammer and not pleasant, IMO. The shaker motor pinball life sells is the sweet spot from the ones I've installed.

#1125 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Where can I find the toy box kickout protector at. 300 game in and kick out is starting to round out.

Email [email protected] and tell him you want the Aerosmith ball launch kickout protector.

#1145 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I've had my game 3 weeks now, 425 games in , when I was cleaning and wax playfield today the upper post between pops was super loose and ready to fall out. Just saying. As far as scoring I'm the one who needs to work on my game 140mI'll.

Happens on KISS there, too. Some Loctite on the thread of that screw and you're golden. Won't happen again.

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Thanks for the info, I have red and blue, owne a couple Harleys. I've seen the ball spinning wildly at time and it may have been the cause. Wishing for some good code to come out. Been checking every day. One day I'll be surprised.

One day later this year. It's not coming anytime soon, according to Stern. Given that Aerosmith is just a hack from KISS rules, I doubt there will be much in the way of more changes and additions to Aerosmith rules, just fixes, and some minor improvements, most-likely.

#1150 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

But then again Stern did just announce a Pro with 4 flippers and Drops! How the hell did they sneak that one by the BOM police? Anything is possible now lol.

No design time or R&D + much more competition suddenly. They basically just filtched almost the exact Archer pin design and just rethemed it. Nice to see a completely new playfield design out of Stern, even if they had to buy it by hiring a well-regarded outsider.

#1152 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I hopeful it will have like high score for each song, more use of shaker motor. Call out for drain. at times it think my left flipper goes limp. I guess I got spoiled with TWD code. I'm ready to buy another pin but want to see Aerosmith developed.

You are liking Lyman code on TWD (for good reason), and experiencing rehashed KISS Lonnie code on Aerosmith (generally formulaic and rarely polished after release). Don't expect TWD level love on Aerosmith's potentially final update. Generally if you pay attention to who is in charge of the code before buying, you'll have a better idea of what to expect with machines. For Lyman, expect a great experience and polish over time. For Lonnie, not so much. For Dwight, more complicated rule systems, but generally good code, etc, etc, etc.

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Yes I see that Lonnie R did software for both games. Let me say now that the next game that is a Stern will have Lyman S. Under the hood.

Stern hired a bunch of new coders, so hopefully there's another Lyman and Dwight in the bunch. Time will tell.

#1155 6 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I purchased this one without doing homework, my 8 year old niece want me to get a music pin. So I got one with a LCD screen. She likes it, and wife has played more games on this one in three week than in 8 year on some 11 pins I had. So I guess I can't complain. I still got my eye on GoT and something else.

Some people hate it, but Game of Thrones Prem is one of my favorite recent pins. Dwight on software means there are so many ways to attack the scoring. Really like it a lot.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

They look great. Mine have a high pitch sound coming from each of them. Do yours have that? Not super loud, but you can hear it when there is a pause in the game sounds. It's there all the time with the game powered up

Electro-luminescent sheets do that.

#1186 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

But the worse is plunge and firing out of pops to right out lane before you can blink.

A gift that keeps on giving from the KISS layout. Does the same thing frequently on KISS.

#1246 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm thinking the same thing, but I've personally seen 3 game resets (not all on the same machine) during a 6 ball multi-ball ... this may be fixed with this update which makes it worth doing for me.

Likely those resets were a "spike special" where the power supply dropped *just below* the baseline and the machine reset. All the Spike machines can do this trick and it's not related to a certain mode, but only when the machine is under heavy load, usually in multiball. You can open the power supply and turn a pot to up the output from the power supply a smidge so this doesn't happen when the machine is under heavy load (like in massive multiball).

#1247 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I love my Metallica, its just too much fun not to like even though I was never a big Metallica fan. I don't recommend going with an LE or Premium on this one though as there are just too many issues with the Pre/LE magnet board that taint the enjoyment of the hammer and coffin lock mechs.

The metal backbox version Metallica Prem here blew up THREE magnet boards over the course of a year before they decided it was probably the system board. They replaced that AND the 4th magnet board and never had another problem. But yeah, that magnet board is a queenie bitch.

#1250 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This. The original flipper node board had a low voltage watchdog on it and that’s what caused the resets.
The later versions were modified somehow.
rd

Wait, so do the newer spike/2 flipper node boards NOT have that watchdog circuit anymore? I didn't realize they had changed the design...

#1252 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I was told by the local Stern tech that Stern told him (after 2 hours waiting on the phone) that the board had been updated. Whether that means they just changed this actual chip, or they made more detailed changes, I don’t know ...
rd

Or they changed the programming of the node board software. I wish they weren't so secretive about this crap. Trying to figure it out with little or no technical information from Stern is a PAIN. Trust me, NO OTHER MANFACTURER wants to steal Spike/2 tech, the system that famously can be damaged just by adding a single mod according to Gomez.

#1261 6 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

IMHO the reason they don't broadcast that they've changed stuff like this is that would then be admitting that the original board, or code, or whatever, was faulty and causing the issue. That could then lead them open to lots of people claiming their costs back if they have had to buy replacements.
When there was the issue with Sparky coil locking on, there was nothing in the code update about a fix, but miraculously all of the issues disappeared (including on my machine)

You're probably right. Liability is king.

#1331 6 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Has anyone else had a problem with the custom message feature? I select CUSTOM MESSAGE ON (adjustment #41) and change the message by hand, but I have never seen it come up in Attract Mode.

Leftover from DMD system menu framework. Lazy coding.

1 week later
#1352 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I do have that installed now, but the damage is already done. (this game was on route before I bought it)

Lightly sand and clean then use those nail-polish-like auto clear touchup vials to put some clear on the raw area.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-00258-0000C-21-Clear-Touch-Up/dp/B009VJXG5W

2 weeks later
#1391 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

My game arrives Tuesday. Just checked out the Iron Maiden thread and saw cabinet splitting issues are being discussed. I remember hearing about these with Aerosmith in the early run. Mine will be home use only on carpet with sliders. Do I need to get the B/W brackets to install? No issues on my SW premium after 800+ plays and it is just as arrived from factory.

Lottery, basically. It may happen to yours, it may not. But the likelihood of "may" is higher than it was when the cabinets were made of better wood on KISS and before.

$30 worth of prevention for piece of mind.

#1394 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Lighted flipper button question: do purple flipper lights look good on the blue pro cabinet? Any pictures would be appreciated.

No.

#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I bought a set of brackets and they arrived a couple of days ago. I will probably install them this weekend ... just in case. Better to error on the side of caution than to be sorry you didn't.

Err. Error is an error in that context.

Captain Idiom, at your service!

#1428 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I haven't loaded the new software yet.
Had my 4th reset in 750 games yesterday.
Purdy sure 2 resets were during single ball & it occurred when hitting the crank it up scoop to add more time right after the mode ends & the points start to tally up & display.
Guess thats the graphic conflict mentioned in the readme of the most recent code update.
(I am gonna update today)

If you're still getting resets after updating to the latest software, check the output voltage of the power supply. If it drops low, the machine will reset. You can adjust the output while watching your multimeter. Setting it to output 48.2v or so instead of 48v or 47.9v will likely stop the watchdog resets.

#1430 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Looking for these 2? One or both under the mini playfield? If so is it too much trouble to remove to install?

The round one's the elevator on the mini-playfield and isn't hard to get to. The other one will require you take off the mini-pf.

This post should help you visualize where they go:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/13#post-4073818

#1433 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

THIS is my main gripe with AS at the moment.
First wizard mode, Medley, is very poor as well. The songs always being in the same order really screws it up, as well as the low scoring. I'd like to see the songs in the same order you played them, with the payoff for each song being the same as what you earned when you played them.
An option to have memory on Toy Box MB would be nice.
As would a skill shot.
Maybe an even lower mini wizard (Like Cherry Bomb & Chaos on GotG & DI) for completing a certain no. of songs.
Less modes you can time out to completion.
A high score record for each individual song
Final Wizard mode is OK, but a bit basic - hit each shot 3 times, then collect Super.

It's a Lonnie production. The software was never destined for greatness, nor much polish.

#1436 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

AS and GOTG were both coded by Lonnie Ropp, and I’d argue that Guardians is destined for greatness. I also enjoyed having IM for 6 years, and that’s essential Lonnie Ropp. Maybe I’m just easy to please.

Nope. What I've learned over time is that Lonnie's history is doing "just enough" to get by. There have been games that were polished up by others, and those turned out okay, but Lonnie as lead? Usually mediocre. Without an assist by Lyman, Iron Man would have been Lonnie-level mediocre, too.

#1438 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You can keep throwing turds into my AS punch bowl, but it won’t stop me from drinking out of it (that’s a metaphor). It’s a great game, top 3 for me.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy AS and GotG, just that they won't be much better than they are right now unless Lonnie gets an assist from another programmer and I doubt Lyman has the time again.

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Isn’t this likely the case now that Stern hired a bunch of help?

Who knows? I can't predict the future, but I bet Stern concentrates on their better-selling games for more features. The rest will get a cursory polish.

#1445 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Why does my left flipper go limp at times. I thought I was imagining this at first. But it has cost me some big points doing TB MB. My friend said something about it the other day. But I paid it no mind.

Most likely your EOS switch needs to be adjusted. Less likely, your power supply can't keep up or isn't set to 48v output. Have you had any game resets during heavy action?

#1448 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Only feels limp when I have a 4-6 ball MB. May be a power issue.

Check the output at rest (attract mode). Should be 48v. There's a pot just to the right of the 48v connectors. Stick an alligator clip on the 48v then slowly turn the pot with a plastic tool until you get like 48.2v and see if that fixes your weak flippers and reset issue under load.

Also, check your house power at the wall to make sure you're supplying enough voltage to the machine. Older houses may be insufficient, especially when other stuff on the same breaker are on.

1 month later
#1577 5 years ago

Aerosmith Greatest Hits CD is only $2.87 on Amazon right now, for those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerosmiths-Greatest-Hits-Aerosmith/dp/B00138KD50

2 weeks later
#1619 5 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I was wondering if it is normal for the ball to miss the shot going into the toybox every now and then. Is there a coil setting that seems to work best for the kicker that shoots the ball into the toybox which helps to minimize the missed shots?

Yes. It's nowhere near as accurate as the Houdini trunk throw.

#1620 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Where’s the code already, we are now past the mid point of summer!

No we're not. We're exactly 1/3 of the way through summer.

#1625 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I would not hold my breath waiting for "Deep Code" on AS. I feel the update will be similar to GOTG rules. Tidying up what is already there, and maybe an extra multiball. If the code update is "deep" that is good too. I fell that the game is already solid, we love ours and it gets played more than MET.

It's a Lonnie experience, so it will not be polished to a sheen. Just be happy to have the bugs fixed and another mode, maybe.

#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

New AS owner here and when I got the machine home, I had a couple mystery thumbscrews in the bottom of the cabinet... can anyone help identify where they belong on the machine? Thanks!

Go on the ends of the coin mechs. Two per coin chute to hold the mech in as seen in the pic.

coin-mech-screws (resized).jpgcoin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1657 5 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

3D printing is out for me so I'll see if I can find one online somewhere. Did you see if yours held in place when you manually pushed it up? It seems strange that mine will hold when pushed manually but not when in play.

You can just cut a small piece of plastic (PETG or whatever) in a narrow rectangular shape and drill 2 holes in it to make a new ledge. I faked up one for GoT and it's been going strong for more than a year.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I'm looking at getting another pin, but tired of waiting 2 year for code after game has been released. Aerosmith had been out 14 month before I purchased. Just knew code was just around the corner. Man was I Wrong.

Just avoid Lonnie games and you'll avoid quite a bit of code disappointment.

#1667 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

There is a drop target test in the service menu. No coil strength setting though. I didn't recognize that my ledge had issues until i unscrewed it... It broke all apart. My ledge was broken from overtightening from the factory.. I had to get a new ledge and put a small washer on each side to push the ledge out some. I spoke with Stern support to find out that lots of people are having the issue the the drop target. So with the new ledge and small washer - no further problems with it going up/down.

You can change the overall coil strength to about 5% less by setting coil strength to soft.

Stern cheaped out and made those plastic drop target ledges thinner around Game of Thrones time. I never had one break on any machine EVER before that point. I've had two break on two different machines since then. Another hidden cost reduction by Stern not passed to customers.

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

AS is a good game and code is about to be polish. (Next week). Crile1 is right about IMDN, I finally play it 2 weeks ago. Put in 2 bucks for 5 games. Won 2 games but couldn't wait to get off. I'm looking for a new pin myself. Gave a list of pins (6) to some friends to play and let me know what they like. No one picked IMDN. $4500 Aerosmith Pro get it. Or if you want new Star Wars, GOTG, MET or TWD

Holy bargain with the $2/5 plays on a new machine. Where was that? Someone isn't doing a split or isn't making money.

#1711 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Only installed the cap kit with the tie wraps

Then you likely have a broken diode on Node 8 (unless the service kit was done at the factory before you got it). There's a kit that reduces the vibration on Node 8 and 9 that causes this failure.

The service bulletin you needed before this happened is here:
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-189-core-node-stabilization/2235/Stern-SB189.pdf

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Yes that is the kit I had my dealer install before it left the showroom. Last March is when I got it.
I checked all the connections on the board nothing looks loose. The tie wrap looks fine nothing appears to have broken loose. Just says node 8 not found on boot.[quoted image]

The diode can still break off the board then. I'd check continuity there. Seems like you lost at least partial power to the board.

2 weeks later
#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Sadly I grew impatient and jumped ship. Now there are no local Aerosmith games that I know of to play.

According to pinballmap.com, there's a Pro at Mattingly's Sports Bar & Grill and Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade. There's an LE at Red Fish Blue Fish. All are in St. Charles.

1 week later
#1875 5 years ago
Quoted from c_mario:

Anyone see this messages trying to update
"This machine has an invalid factory config please contact your distributor"
This also happened trying to update to 1.05.
Distributor had to send me an already updated SD card, but said he thought it would be ok next time but its not.
Sterns support admitted it is an issue that should have been resolved at the factory and said to contact distributor for an advance replacement , what ever that means.[quoted image]

Region lock factory assembly problem is the likely answer. US configured board with overseas power or something like that. Stern has been trying to cut down on grey market imports again.

#1876 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Loving the new code! Only problem is the code didn't make the right ramp easier! GRRRRR

It's much easier than the narrower version of that ramp in KISS.

#1877 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is pro still the way to go on this title or did they add anything more to the premium/LE features? From what I understand prem has better love in elevator locking rules and an extra player driven/controlled double (and triple?) Scoring with the mini pf. That about right, anything else?

You can double the double with the upper PF, so it's 4x with the Prem/LE you can't do on a Pro.

#1890 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Same as KISS - take the Pro, add in a drop target in front of Starchild and a ball that floats up the backboard and charge a heap extra.

You forgot ball-spitting Gene head and full RGB matrix inserts the pro didn't have. Way better light show, too. And that lovegun levitation start is one of the coolest effects in recent pins, especially with the lighting mod so you can SEE it.

The "mirrored" backglass isn't an upgrade because it's fake mirrored. I wish they'd go back to REAL mirrored backglasses when they list that as a feature.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

If they just added this adjustment it’s funny, because Spike games do no longer have a coindoor(interlock) switch. The only two spike games wich have one are WWE and Kiss.

And those are Spike1, not Spike2 systems.

#1955 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

It doesn’t matter. Spike 2 games don’t have an interlock either...

The point I was making is zero Spike 2 games have an interlock, while SOME Spike1 games DO have an interlock.

#1957 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Ok, gotcha. Well there are a few settings in Spike games wich are still related to SAM hardware like fastboot and some Q driver(knocker) setting.

And for the record, getting rid of the interlock is the dumbest cost-cutting Stern has done. I love getting my fingers smashed by the auto launcher when testing the shooter lane switch now.

2 weeks later
#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

I'm having a flipper problem. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
I am having random(kind of) flipper lag. Here are the details. Aerosmith Pro. I have had it for 9 months and never had this issue until recently. I do have BriteButtons that have always worked fine. Only happening on the Right Flipper. Only happening during multiball. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but it started after the update.
I looked to see if there were any obvious disconnections or obstructions and don't see anything.
Does it sound like a software or hardware issue? Any suggestions on how to narrow it down or fix it?
Should I leave this post in the Aerosmith group or make it a separate post? I am putting it in the Aerosmith group because I thought if its somehow related to the update others might be experiencing the same thing.
Thanks,
Kevin

Check your EOS switch. KISS and some other Spike have the same issue if the EOS isn't adjusted right. Compare the right gap to the left one and make the right match the left.

1 month later
#2121 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So in a smaller collection (7-10 pins) is Aerosmith too similar to Kiss to own both? I already have a Kiss LE and have the opportunity to buy a really nice Aero LE but maybe not if they shoot the exact same?

The software is different, but the playfield shoots almost EXACTLY the same. Toybox=starchild area, left/right orbit same, center ramp=same, right ramp to upper area=ramp around gene head, jacky catapult shot=gene head lock. The only two differences (and there are only two) is the entrance to the left orbit where the crank-it-up scoop is moved to the left side and two standup targets are on the right, and the elevator shot.

The software has KISS as its base (the first release had a KISS adjustment still in the system settings menu), but was customized to become its own thing and feel similar to KISS but not exactly the same.

#2124 5 years ago
Quoted from Camvr2013:

I own AS and have played KISS extensively at league. They have a similar layout but the shots are very different save for the center shot. Even the orbits are slightly different. And the Starchild shot is one of the tightest shots in pinball!

I will say that the right ramp shot is MUCH easier on Aerosmith than the right ramp shot on KISS. 100% confirmed. That KISS ramp is sadistic.

4 months later
#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Did you ever got a solution to this?
Mine has just started this as well, dumping balls out of the toybox mid-ball. Is happening every other game now

Sorry, no. We don't have the machine here anymore so I'm not sure what the actual reason it did this was.

1 year later
#3225 3 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Game started resetting the PC mid game.
I left it off and it seems well with a short teat game.
It not like I score 100 mill a game....
Does anyone know if the quiet fan is the same strength or stronger than stock???

Is it a pro or a prem/le? The Pros have underpowered 300W power supplies that seem to do this more over time, so if you have a pro, it's very likely the 300W power supply Stern cheaped out with is dipping below 48v under heavy load. The $90 500W meanwell fixes pros with the issue. There's a good reason why Stern stopped using the 300W power supply, even in the Pros.

But before that, do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use one? Your existing power supply may just be outputting slightly less than the 48V one it should be, and you can fix that, but you have to use a multimeter to check the output and guide the fix if needed.

1 year later
#3808 1 year ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I just did the update today. I have a spare SD card I switched before but it didn't seem to help. I swapped the power supply from a DP and though seeming identical I got node errors so I guess it has to be configured for a certain game . The capacitors on the power board checked out OK. Thanks for the ideas. I hate intermittent problems.

As long as both power supplies were the RSP500-48, they should work fine. It's a dumb power supply - no customization, it just needs to output a steady 48v for the machine. If your Aerosmith was a Pro, they it probably had the 300W power supply in it that Stern used to use in their Pros, but even then putting in a 500W RSP500-48 would still work, it would just be more heavy duty.

What were the node errors you got? Did you take pictures?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 12.75
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.95
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.